PDA

View Full Version : Rex's modification of D in 2015 backfired

ghz in pittsburgh
01-11-2016, 10:01 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23325/rex-ryan-bills-tried-to-merge-defensive-schemes-in-2015

That is a very plausible explanation of Bills D performance this year. Perhaps his attempt to keep Schwartz after he hired last year was sincere. But every even minded people know that the high risk attempt to merge two systems can be a complete genius to total failure.

We'll see pretty soon the Bills will jettison players that don't fit Rex's system but otherwise still solid players.

swiper
01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
"So we're going to be all in, we're going to play Buffalo Bills defense, and we're not going to be fun to play."

That's the exact same thing he said to the fans last year.

Typ0
01-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Bunch of blow hard BS from a coach who can't even run a game effectively.

sukie
01-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Did someone make money writing that article?

Mahdi
01-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Good I'm glad to hear he is going to play purely Rex Ryan defense.

No mixing of two schemes because it caused too much confusion and also didn't allow them to specialize in one style of D.

cookie G
01-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Bunch of blow hard BS from a coach who can't even run a game effectively.

He'll spare nothing in looking for a scapegoat.

Forward_Lateral
01-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Get rid of the guys who refuse to play the defense you install.

Turf
01-11-2016, 01:16 PM
That's the exact same thing he said to the fans last year.

And once again, this, that and the other thing. A lot things to neglect while talking about them.

YardRat
01-11-2016, 02:29 PM
There was no need to 'merge' anything. It wasn't broke, he shouldn't have tried to 'fix' it.

What a ****ing moron. "Oh yeah, the reason we sucked balls this season is because I tried to run Schwartz's defense some of the time...so it's really his fault. This season, we're doing it my way."

****ing idiot.

Dave Wannstadt failed miserably because the league passed by his 20-year-old scheme. Both Rex and Rob failed because the league has passed by their 5-10 year-old scheme. The years for either don't really matter, the bottom line is they all are behind the times.

Turf
01-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Rex still hasn't realized the simplest facts. Most of the teams beat us by going no huddle, and we couldn't get our plays in or our players lined up. Until he addresses that I don't care what scheme he runs. I think he's totally unaware of this.

BertSquirtgum
01-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Mario still isn't cut yet. and he won't be.

swiper
01-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Mario still isn't cut yet. and he won't be.

Shut up and eat your pork chops.

BertSquirtgum
01-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Shut up and eat your pork chops.

You are the worst person on this earth. You do nothing but cry and bust everyone's balls. Go **** yourself.

Mace
01-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Ryan didn't try and merge anything that I saw. He had linemen dropping into coverage from the start and it all goes from there.

What I'd hoped for, was for him to apply his use of DB's to some slight variant of Schwartz's wide 9. Ryan considers himself an innovator though he innovates nothing anymore, that's what an innovator or great defensive mind would have done. Not like I am, but it was so obvious even I could see it. I never did figure out what he was doing. I mean how could they pull off doing what they did to Brady in the 2nd NE game and not do that to anyone else ?

If Ryan was indeed incapable of innovation like he doesn't realize he's saying, then he just proved he's stubborn, inflexible, and hasn't learned anything via his own endlessly flapping lips.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Rex tried to incorporate the 4-3 style of defense that worked in 2014.

That is the least reported fact about the Bills defense in 2015.

Rex did try to use last year's defense to his advantage.

It didn't work this year because Schwartz's defense was easy to figure out for NFL offensive coordinators.

There was nothing complicated or complex about Jim Schwartz's system. Rex decided to use/implement some of the same schemes from the past, and the combo strategy failed miserably.

In that sense, Rex was too much of a players coach.

Instead of listening to himself, he bowed down to what the players wanted.

Never let the shipmates run the ship.

Ginger Vitis
01-11-2016, 07:55 PM
he bowed down to what the players wanted.

he did? Why did 3/4s of the defensive line complain about his scheme to the media? Why were there reports the majority of the defensive players wished Jim Schwartz was still DC

Mace
01-11-2016, 07:58 PM

It didn't work this year because Schwartz's defense was easy to figure out for NFL offensive coordinators.

There was nothing complicated or complex about Jim Schwartz's system. Rex decided to use/implement some of the same schemes from the past, and the combo strategy failed miserably.

It's way too early in the offseason for you to be struggling for material, imho, you might have burnt yourself out too early.

YardRat
01-11-2016, 08:01 PM

Bull****. That's all that needs to be said.

more cowbell
01-12-2016, 07:20 AM
Rex Ryan sucks

swiper
01-12-2016, 03:58 PM
You are the worst person on this earth. You do nothing but cry and bust everyone's balls. Go **** yourself.

You'd have to have balls first. You don't. Go wipe your vagina.

ParanoidAndroid
01-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Let's just give BI his own zone so he can post that hopelessly optimistic weirdness in peace. http://catholicmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/NoFrownZone1.jpg

Typ0
01-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Rex still hasn't realized the simplest facts. Most of the teams beat us by going no huddle, and we couldn't get our plays in or our players lined up. Until he addresses that I don't care what scheme he runs. I think he's totally unaware of this.

It is much worse than ignorance. He thinks it is not a problem and he's not going to change anything.

Mace
01-12-2016, 07:10 PM
It is much worse than ignorance. He thinks it is not a problem and he's not going to change anything.

Agree strongly. He believes what he says, doesn't say what he believes. Rex doesn't change, just gives change lip service after not doing it.

swiper
01-13-2016, 05:58 AM
For those who haven't figured it out already: what comes out of Rex Ryan's mouth and what actually happens are usually two completely different things.

When Rex Ryan was introduced as the Buffalo Bills' new head coach on Jan. 14, 2015, he gave one of his most glowing compliments to an assistant coach he was keeping from the previous staff: Donnie Henderson.

Ryan and Henderson had worked together from 2000-'03 when Ryan was defensive line coach for the Baltimore Ravens and Henderson was their defensive backs coach, his same role with the Bills since 2013.

"One of the finest coaches I’ve ever been around," Ryan said of Henderson at the grand news conference in the ADPRO Sports Training Center at One Bills Drive.

We have a great secondary coach. The guy that coached Ronald Darby up to what he quickly became in the NFL. They let that coach go and give the job to the bumbling, figurehead defensive coordinator. Then they hire the failed defensive coordinator of the second worst defense (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/seasontype/2) in the league to fix it. It's laughable. You should all be screaming at the Pegulas for the ineptness they bring.

Henderson is credited for helping rookie cornerback Ronald Darby, a second-round draft pick, quickly rebound from a poor preseason to start immediately and become one of the league's top players at his position. Henderson also played a significant role in helping Stephon Gilmore, a first-round choice in 2012, have the best season of his career in 2015 before suffering a shoulder injury that caused him to miss the final two games.

LINK (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/12/report-henderson-not-returning-to-bills-coaching-staff/)

Typ0
01-13-2016, 09:13 AM
For those who haven't figured it out already: what comes out of Rex Ryan's mouth and what actually happens are usually two completely different things.

We have a great secondary coach. The guy that coached Ronald Darby up to what he quickly became in the NFL. They let that coach go and give the job to the bumbling, figurehead defensive coordinator. Then they hire the failed defensive coordinator of the second worst defense (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/seasontype/2) in the league to fix it. It's laughable. You should all be screaming at the Pegulas for the ineptness they bring.

LINK (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/12/report-henderson-not-returning-to-bills-coaching-staff/)

I agree. No doubt Pegula has people chirping in his ear about continuity ... well you need effective people in place before you should be continuous with them. The team is already showing signs of being a train Wreck next season and it's not even half way through the current seasons playoffs. UGH.