PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about RGIII as a backup here?

blackonyx89
01-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Just wanted to know if you're cool with RGIII as a backup in Buffalo and if there's any way you can trade or acquire him? I understand if you don't want him here if he's not suitable. Thoughts?

sukie
01-11-2016, 10:53 AM
too much required to get him and... he's kinda done IMO.

Mr. Pink
01-11-2016, 10:54 AM
I could see him or Kaep in Cleveland if they plan on keeping Johnny Football around.

Since they all can run a similar offense.

Kaep or RGIII would make sense here too for the same reason, but I don't think EJ is going anywhere.

Buffalogic
01-11-2016, 11:05 AM
RGIII will cost nothing because he will be cut.

Mr. Miyagi
01-11-2016, 11:11 AM
No thanks. By all accounts the guy doesn't study and doesn't know the plays, just relies on his athleticism and shoots from the hip.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2016, 11:15 AM
I'd give him a second shot, but obviously it would have to be cheap. He's still a physical freak but he would have to protect himself a lot better. Tyrod would still likely beat him out in TC anyway.

Kaepernick would be the best option of the three because he's better able to throw to the middle of the field and has run Roman's offense, but I don't know if they'd want to work together again (or if Kaep even gets released).

OpIv37
01-11-2016, 11:20 AM
No thanks. By all accounts the guy doesn't study and doesn't know the plays, just relies on his athleticism and shoots from the hip.

I still spend some time in the DC area and I have several friends who are Skins fans. The knock on RGIII is that he doesn't want to be a read option QB. He wants to be a pocket passer but he's either too lazy or too stupid to learn to read defenses. Essentially he doesn't want to play the style of offense that's best suited to his natural will set.

When he excelled early in his career, it's because he ran the read option. His play trailed off significantly when he tried to be a more pass oriented QB.

I don't think we have any use for him, and with limited cap, I'd rather see it used in other ways.

Scumbag College
01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure Kaep is going anywhere...it depends what coach is hired there and what offense coordinator comes in to SF. If he is cut, I would think that there are enough teams with much worse starting QBs than Tyrod that would all but guarantee him a starting spot that Kaep would want to try out.

RGIII...something about the whole situation with him and Washington would make me uneasy about bringing him in. I haven't followed it too closely, but he seems to be a headache in the locker room and just doesn't look like the same player since his injury.

Forward_Lateral
01-11-2016, 12:33 PM
I still spend some time in the DC area and I have several friends who are Skins fans. The knock on RGIII is that he doesn't want to be a read option QB. He wants to be a pocket passer but he's either too lazy or too stupid to learn to read defenses. Essentially he doesn't want to play the style of offense that's best suited to his natural will set.

When he excelled early in his career, it's because he ran the read option. His play trailed off significantly when he tried to be a more pass oriented QB.

I don't think we have any use for him, and with limited cap, I'd rather see it used in other ways.

I don't know if it's a matter of him wanting to be a pocket QB, or Gruden trying to force him to be one. Either way, he's not a very good stand in the pocket kind of QB, so it's dumb for him or a coach to try and make him that.

OpIv37
01-11-2016, 12:51 PM
I don't know if it's a matter of him wanting to be a pocket QB, or Gruden trying to force him to be one. Either way, he's not a very good stand in the pocket kind of QB, so it's dumb for him or a coach to try and make him that.

The rumor around town is that it was Griffin himself and not Gruden. Of course, none of us were in that locker room and the people that were aren't airing the dirty laundry, so there is no way to know for sure.

Mr. Pink
01-11-2016, 01:02 PM
The rumor around town is that it was Griffin himself and not Gruden. Of course, none of us were in that locker room and the people that were aren't airing the dirty laundry, so there is no way to know for sure.

I'd guess the coaching staff, starting with Shanny and then Gruden tried to force him into being a pocket passer after what happened in 2012. Although that could be partly in RGIII's head as well.

Shanny completely ruined him as a QB in this league playing him in that playoff game on one leg.

DraftBoy
01-11-2016, 01:08 PM
In our hybrid scheme he'd be a better fit than with what they are currently running in Washington. Allowing him to make reads and move some could rebuild his confidence. The question is do you want to put Tyrod under that kind of camp pressure?

YardRat
01-11-2016, 02:48 PM
No thanks...I'd rather have a rookie draft pick than RGIII, Kaep or Manziel.

sdbillsfan2
01-11-2016, 03:12 PM
No more rummaging through other teams garbage searching for treasure . We're already stuck with t h e Jets rejected coach and his reject of a brother. Search the draft.Hell look at the CFL BUT no more players or coaches that are all hype and no results.

Ingtar33
01-11-2016, 03:27 PM
RGIII will cost nothing because he will be cut.

yeah, but a guy as focused on "brand" as RG3 is, would never sign with the bills. that's a guy who will go ANYWHERE with a moderate to large market. he'd never be caught dead in a backwater like buffalo or greenbay.

Still i'm never against signing or drafting QBs until you get your guy. and then signing or drafting qbs until you get a backup you think could start somewhere else.

QBs are WAY too important to skimp on. That said RG3 is probably not even backup quality at this point.

BertSquirtgum
01-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Just wanted to know if you're cool with RGIII as a backup in Buffalo and if there's any way you can trade or acquire him? I understand if you don't want him here if he's not suitable. Thoughts?

I'd rather have Manuel Ejaculation.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-11-2016, 03:35 PM
yeah, but a guy as focused on "brand" as RG3 is, would never sign with the bills. that's a guy who will go ANYWHERE with a moderate to large market. he'd never be caught dead in a backwater like buffalo or greenbay.

Still i'm never against signing or drafting QBs until you get your guy. and then signing or drafting qbs until you get a backup you think could start somewhere else.

QBs are WAY too important to skimp on. That said RG3 is probably not even backup quality at this point.

He may not have a choice. I don't know how many teams are going to come knocking.

sahlensguy
01-11-2016, 05:32 PM
I think is rather have Geno Smith...

sudzy
01-11-2016, 06:04 PM
I think is rather have Geno Smith...

What I would give for a groan button, right now.

Mace
01-11-2016, 06:17 PM
I don't think it even matters how many QB's we have that can't make reads or have to be given simple ones. Might be better if we had a guy who could make them, but as if, so whatever.

I don't think Whaley is about to get rid of his Manuel. I'd like to see pistol Kap finally marry pistol Gailey, but besides that whoever might work better however, whyever, like always, and if he doesn't, it's not like we're making ourselves look any worse with trying as we forge ahead to the next 8-8-but-maybe-2017.

BillsImpossible
01-11-2016, 06:22 PM
I've come to the conclusion that having a backup quarterback is irrelevant.

There's no such thing as a good backup quarterback anymore. They're all in the same pile.

EJ Manuel will likely be on the team next year because no other quarterback is going to be able to learn Roman's offense in 12 weeks.

EJ Manuel would have been praised as the comeback kid if the Bills won that game against Jacksonville, and nobody would mind him being the backup.

Manuel probably learned more about how an NFL offense works this year compared to 2013 and 2014 combined.

chernobylwraiths
01-11-2016, 06:34 PM
RG3 and Tyrod are basically the same QB. There would be no difference if one got hurt. So yeah, I would like to have him.

Bill Cody
01-12-2016, 09:16 AM
No

trapezeus
01-12-2016, 03:23 PM
I think RGIII showed that he really had difficulty reading defense last year. he couldn't make a decision so he held onto the ball and looked to run. to have that kind of project as your backup already exists for a lot cheaper. RGIII isn't going to get it. he's been paid; he's over it.

Night Train
01-12-2016, 03:33 PM
RG3 and Tyrod are basically the same QB. There would be no difference if one got hurt.

Racist ! (kidding)

Actually, I have read multiple reports he isn't too bright. Taylor is bright and popular with the players.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2016, 04:40 PM
I love the people who rip on RGIII.

He put up better numbers than Tyrod as a rookie and took his team to the playoffs.

chernobylwraiths
01-13-2016, 10:15 AM
Racist ! (kidding)

Actually, I have read multiple reports he isn't too bright. Taylor is bright and popular with the players.

Ha!

Yeah, I just don't know. I need a guy who doesn't have to have a receiver wide open to throw to him, or throw him open. Didn't see enough of that from Tyrod.

trapezeus
01-13-2016, 01:08 PM
RGIII after his rookie season still had improvements to make and he didn't. plus he was nursing and injury. Tyrod has to make the same improvements and be better with his reads and trust his receivers. RGIII was given full reps from the start in training camp. Tyrod was splitting them.

- - - Updated - - -

and I say this as a guy who isn't really in on tyrod yet. I want him to succeed but I think the bills finally are in position to draft a guy and let him sit while we see if tyrod continues to improve or flames out.