PDA

View Full Version : DBs coach Donnie Henderson won't be back....

daryls61
01-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Not good. He was excellent.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source tells <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX">@NFLonFOX</a> that <a href="https://twitter.com/buffalobills">@buffalobills</a> DBs coach Donnie Henderson won't be back. Possibility current Bills DC Dennis Thurman handles DBs</p>&mdash; Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/686913706651971585">January 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 100%; height: 203.766px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="686913706651971585" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Why won't be back? Taking a DC job somewhere? I hope Rex didn't get cute and fire him just to make room for his brother. If so it's a total sham.

feldspar
01-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Gotta wonder why.

OpIv37
01-12-2016, 07:16 AM
I thought our DB's played fairly well this year, especially considering all the injuries and the fact that the pass rush only generated 19 sacks.

more cowbell
01-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Sweet...let's fire our only good coach, and bring on Rob Ryan.

Go team!!!

Topas
01-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Henderson is a hold over from the old coaching staff, was he?
If yes, it makes sense to get rid of him.

Because that was actually the one unit that performed from the D and since he is no pal of Rex, it makes sense to cut him and bring in another Ryan, with a track record of ruining defenses everywhere he went.

Pinkerton Security
01-12-2016, 08:27 AM
I thought our DB's played fairly well this year, especially considering all the injuries and the fact that the pass rush only generated 19 sacks.

since when is "played fairly well" good enough for you? That being said, I'd have to guess it had more to do with having good solid DB's as opposed to anything the DB coach did but thats simply a guess...cant rule out the impact when a rookie CB steps in and becomes the best DB on the team right away

OpIv37
01-12-2016, 08:42 AM
since when is "played fairly well" good enough for you? That being said, I'd have to guess it had more to do with having good solid DB's as opposed to anything the DB coach did but thats simply a guess...cant rule out the impact when a rookie CB steps in and becomes the best DB on the team right away

Well I'm saying they were put in a difficult situation and did the best they could under the circumstances. If the pass rush was as it was in 13 and 14, no one would be talking bad about the DB's right now. They aren't the reason we missed the playoffs.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez (https://twitter.com/alexmarvez)<small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/686926569969991681)</small>
Source confirms to @NFLonFOX (https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX) that @buffalobills (https://twitter.com/buffalobills) DC Dennis Thurman expected to work more with DBs now while Rex/Rob Ryan run the defense

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Donnie Henderson is very well respected in NFL as a secondary coach. Just ask all the Bills CBs. He once worked his way to DC, turned out not meant to be.

Dennis Thurman coached secondary for a long time before he got a chance to be DC under Rex. The writing might be on the wall that he may very well be in the same boat. The action pretty much says Thurman's DC responsibility has been reduced.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez (https://twitter.com/alexmarvez)<small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/686926569969991681)</small>
Source confirms to @NFLonFOX (https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX) that @buffalobills (https://twitter.com/buffalobills) DC Dennis Thurman expected to work more with DBs now while Rex/Rob Ryan run the defense

That's a demotion if I ever see one.

DraftBoy
01-12-2016, 10:45 AM
That's a demotion if I ever see one.

Yea but without the salary reduction or title change.

swiper
01-12-2016, 11:03 AM
First they re-up Whaley.
Then they sign the buffoon's twin brother. Who's a bigger buffoon.
Then they dump Henderson for Thurman (who is next to useless).

This doesn't bode well at all.

Forward_Lateral
01-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Pass D was atrocious this year. Allowed 59 plays of 20 yards or more. 30 touchdowns.

Anyone who thinks the secondary played well in pass coverage wasn't watching the majority of Bills games this year.

swiper
01-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Pass D was atrocious this year. Allowed 59 plays of 20 yards or more. 30 touchdowns.

Anyone who thinks the secondary played well in pass coverage wasn't watching the majority of Bills games this year.

Look at the year before Henderson had Rex Ryan telling what to do.

Joe Fo Sho
01-12-2016, 12:02 PM

Is it Rex's fault that Henderson's secondary was bad, but not Schwartz's fault that Henderson's secondary was good?

If the DB coach is just going to have to do whatever Rex says, then who cares who does it?

Forward_Lateral
01-12-2016, 12:40 PM

I don't care about the year before. I care about what just happened this past season. Pass coverage was terrible.

cookie G
01-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Rex: Guys, you saw what we did last year on D and what an improvement it was over that mediocre 2014 defense. Time for Phase II...I brought in my brother to help run the 2016 defense. You saw the incredible job he did in New Orleans and we were extremely lucky to get him here. Follow his lead, work hard and with a little luck, we can be the Saints.

Henderson: Guys....I ..um...gotta go. (Calls wife)...get another team on the phone..I don't care, anyone.

justasportsfan
01-12-2016, 02:41 PM

exactly. hey did a decent job without a pass rush and when they had one they were tops in the league on 3rd down.

The destruction of the team by Rex continues.

sudzy
01-12-2016, 03:06 PM
What was the strength of the defense? DBs. Henderson has to go. He was wrecking the grade curve.

Crisis
01-12-2016, 03:35 PM
I heard a rumor that Ed Reed might be brought in to coach DBs?

Anyone know if there's any validity to it?

swiper
01-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Is it Rex's fault that Henderson's secondary was bad, but not Schwartz's fault that Henderson's secondary was good?

If the DB coach is just going to have to do whatever Rex says, then who cares who does it?

LOL. It's called following the scheme, my friend.

swiper
01-12-2016, 03:39 PM
I don't care about the year before. I care about what just happened this past season. Pass coverage was terrible.

Well then you should gesticulate at Rex Ryan, not Donnie Henderson.

swiper
01-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Post #18.

The most sarcastic I think I've ever seen Cookie.

YardRat
01-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Wow...what a shocker...Not.

Henderson is a really good DB coach, I don't blame him for bailing on this ****ing circus. I'm just a fan, not an employee, and I've already got more than enough Wrecks/Jet stank on me to last a lifetime by that simple association.

****ing buffoons.

swiper
01-12-2016, 04:01 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Ed Reed. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mohammed Wilkerson.

Ryan took all those years in NY to suround himself with yes-men. He's starting to do it here. It'll get ugly before it's over.

Ginger Vitis
01-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Coach Sal was saying on WGR Donnie Henderson and Rex had "philosophical differences" throughout and the season and Henderson was likely going anyway regardless of Rob Ryan coming in or not..Henderson is interviewing for a DB coach position with the Colts and still has ambitions of being a DC again

Mace
01-12-2016, 04:49 PM
I heard a rumor that Ed Reed might be brought in to coach DBs?

Anyone know if there's any validity to it?

On one hand, I'd doubt it because Thurman was a DB coach previous, plus Ryan couldn't restrain himself from bringing Tim McDonald with him from the Jets in spite of keeping Henderson (couldn't have made Henderson too pleased), plus Rob used to be a DB coach.

On the other hand, the way this is going it wouldn't surprise me to have 3 db coaches, 2 DC's, and 2 assistant DC/db coaches to make sure Rob always has enough food and beer. I'm guessing Reed wouldn't take kindly to being one of the food and beer guys and it would be trouble, so that's the most likely conclusion.

DraftBoy
01-12-2016, 04:52 PM
ESPN alert said that he was fired.

Mace
01-12-2016, 04:54 PM
ESPN alert said that he was fired.

Ongoing Ryanizational reorganization.

justasportsfan
01-12-2016, 05:34 PM

No we watched it. There should've been more tds due to the lack of DL.

Henderson is responsible for making Darby a a ROTYR candidate and made Leodis somewhat serviceable.

If you are going to blame Henderson for the Pass Ds regression, he is ironically being replaced by the person responsible for the DL and linebackers 10 steps backwards play.

BertSquirtgum
01-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Don't care. Doesn't matter who is coaching if Wrecks is the head coach.

Typ0
01-12-2016, 07:01 PM
I don't understand this really. We hired a defensive guru to run the defense now we need to hire his brother instead? It sure would be nice to see whatever they come up with succeed but none of this feels good to me.

Mace
01-12-2016, 07:12 PM
I don't understand this really. We hired a defensive guru to run the defense now we need to hire his brother instead? It sure would be nice to see whatever they come up with succeed but none of this feels good to me.

Doesn't feel real good to me either, but we don't matter, it feels good to Rex and the guys who feed his ego, sign his checks, and believe his neverending stream of crap that never makes sense.

swiper
01-13-2016, 05:49 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/12/report-henderson-not-returning-to-bills-coaching-staff/

All I know is good coaches are leaving and rotten coaches are being brought in and given immediate power. I've had this feeling several times before over the past 17 years.

Last time was Rex's hiring. Before it Marrone & Hackett. Before that Dave Wannstedt. Dick Jauron. Etc, etc, etc...

Has it ever ended well for the Bills?

swiper
01-13-2016, 06:14 AM
Ongoing Wreckage reorganization.

Fixed.

Joe Fo Sho
01-13-2016, 06:17 AM
LOL. It's called following the scheme, my friend.

Then it really doesn't matter who the DB coach is.

Forward_Lateral
01-13-2016, 08:28 AM
The argument that Henderson is a "guru" is so dumb. If the o-line can't block, the o-line coach stinks. If the linebackers can't tackle, the lb coach stinks. If the secondary can't cover, the db coach is a guru who's a victim of scheme.

Gimme a break.

Typ0
01-13-2016, 09:09 AM
The argument that Henderson is a "guru" is so dumb. If the o-line can't block, the o-line coach stinks. If the linebackers can't tackle, the lb coach stinks. If the secondary can't cover, the db coach is a guru who's a victim of scheme.

Gimme a break.

Are you referring to my use of the word 'guru'? Well I was talking about Rex Ryan not anyone else. His resume says defensive guru. Isn't that what sold him to the Pegula's? Well where the hell are the results when you have to push well performing coaches to bring in under performing ones? The operations of the team on game day were among the worst I have ever seen and Ryan has stated he's not changing a thing that's how he does things. Now he is bringing his brother in to correct the serious errs in the way the team communicates? It just doesn't make professional sense. I know that Wilson had stripped down some parts of the team to make it a lean mean fighting machine from a business sense in his last two decades. I accepted that situation as having led to a lot of buffoonery we have experienced during those years. Myself, and I am sure every other Bills fan was hopeful to get past it with the changing of the guard but instead we are suffering through the biggest buffoons to date. None of this makes sense and my experience has been when things like this don't make sense that is because the leadership is poor. Pegula is the new owner and I am just a blow hard fan I get that -- but he needs to get his act together if he is going to own sports teams because the WNY market is not going to respond positively to the same old same old ...

swiper
01-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Then it really doesn't matter who the DB coach is.

That's not true whatsoever. The position coach teaches technique. They watch film with the players. They prepare the player for the personal preparation for each individual match-up. Rex Ryan tells them whether they line-up in a prevent or man coverage on any given play.

Mr. Pink
01-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Hard for the secondary to have real sustained success when their FS is out for the majority of the season and are put in a position to keep coverage for 5 seconds because no one gets pressure on the QB, thanks to dropping Dareus, Mario or Hughes into coverage.

While the secondary didn't look good, obviously, Henderson was not the problem on the defensive staff.

Joe Fo Sho
01-13-2016, 01:11 PM
That's not true whatsoever. The position coach teaches technique. They watch film with the players. They prepare the player for the personal preparation for each individual match-up. Rex Ryan tells them whether they line-up in a prevent or man coverage on any given play.

So why does Rex get the blame when the secondary plays poorly, but Henderson got the praise when they played well (under Schwartz)?

justasportsfan
01-14-2016, 09:43 AM
So why does Rex get the blame when the secondary plays poorly, but Henderson got the praise when they played well (under Schwartz)?

thats the thing, they didn't play as poorly as people make it out to be. Your musical chair of a defensive backs unit (due to injuries) can only do so much when your front 7 already confused to begin with and isn't getting their calls from the sideline on time.

I don't care if you have Revis and Sherman back there, you're not doing much when the QB has all day to throw and your entire unit doesn't know what the D alignment is.