PDA

View Full Version : The coolest thing about being a Bills fan...

Boomstick
01-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Yesterday, I was reminded of the coolest parts of being a Buffalo Bills fan. I was being released from a UPMC Pittsburgh hospital after surgery (had my Bills hat on), while on the elevator the door opens a couple floors up from where I'm getting off. 4 Steelers fans get on and start *****ing about Bengals players and fans, fall out from the game over the weekend. I won't go into what they said, but I was shaking my head and opened my mouth about players and coaches from both teams acting like idiots. Their reply "WTF do you know, you're a Bills fan" I just shook my head again.

A floor down from there, the door of the elevator opens again, a few people get off there. But there, just outside the gift shop there is a man wearing a Bills hat. I saw it immediately. He sees mine and tips and points at his hat, I return the gesture. I smiled.
As my wife loads me into the car she sees I'm smiling and asks me why.

I just said to her "This is why I like being a Bills fan. Here we are literally in the middle of "Steeler Country" with other people giving us **** about wearing a Bills hat and this guy tips his hat and shows respect."
Not many other fan bases are like that. I look at it like this... We don't have hardly any bandwagon fans because let face it, we've been bad for a long time. Right now, so many other fan bases are or have gone through their fair share of bandwagon jumping. Steelers, they have fans all over the country because of their SB wins. New England, Seattle, New Orleans, Vikings now, Cardinals now... You know the huge list. So the ones of us that are Bills fans, we're most likely been lifelong fans and we love this team, no matter what.
I saw it at Bills backers bars in Charlotte, when I lived there. We respected each other, maybe because we know the pain we've been through. I don't know.

So now that I've stated what I think is the coolest part of being a Bills fan...
What about you? What's your favorite / coolest think about being a Bills fan?

SpikedLemonade
01-12-2016, 10:53 AM
So it makes all the losing worthwhile?

Boomstick
01-12-2016, 10:58 AM
So it makes all the losing worthwhile?

No

Typ0
01-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Yesterday, I was reminded of the coolest parts of being a Buffalo Bills fan. I was being released from a UPMC Pittsburgh hospital after surgery (had my Bills hat on), while on the elevator the door opens a couple floors up from where I'm getting off. 4 Steelers fans get on and start *****ing about Bengals players and fans, fall out from the game over the weekend. I won't go into what they said, but I was shaking my head and opened my mouth about players and coaches from both teams acting like idiots. Their reply "WTF do you know, you're a Bills fan" I just shook my head again.

A floor down from there, the door of the elevator opens again, a few people get off there. But there, just outside the gift shop there is a man wearing a Bills hat. I saw it immediately. He sees mine and tips and points at his hat, I return the gesture. I smiled.
As my wife loads me into the car she sees I'm smiling and asks me why.

I just said to her "This is why I like being a Bills fan. Here we are literally in the middle of "Steeler Country" with other people giving us **** about wearing a Bills hat and this guy tips his hat and shows respect."
Not many other fan bases are like that. I look at it like this... We don't have hardly any bandwagon fans because let face it, we've been bad for a long time. Right now, so many other fan bases are or have gone through their fair share of bandwagon jumping. Steelers, they have fans all over the country because of their SB wins. New England, Seattle, New Orleans, Vikings now, Cardinals now... You know the huge list. So the ones of us that are Bills fans, we're most likely been lifelong fans and we love this team, no matter what.
I saw it at Bills backers bars in Charlotte, when I lived there. We respected each other, maybe because we know the pain we've been through. I don't know.

So now that I've stated what I think is the coolest part of being a Bills fan...

The coolest thing is not wasting my hard earned money on season tickets any more.

Bill Cody
01-12-2016, 11:58 AM
The coolest thing is not wasting my hard earned money on season tickets any more.

lmao

Oaf
01-12-2016, 12:39 PM
I think success will feel better because we get so little of it.

gebobs
01-12-2016, 02:19 PM
We're everywhere. It's a nice thing to share with a stranger when you're an expat or out of town and watching a Sabres game. I could swill Labatt and complain about my team, their coaches, management for hours, commiserate all night long about how god awful they are and how we don't deserve it. And then, in unison, laugh at the jagoff with the Falcons wifebeater who dares to say anything bad about any of them.

It's in our blood. We are loyal, obviously to a fault. It's something that some folks - like someone who just picks a team at random, a team like, um, say the Bruins, with whom that person has no true blood tie - could not possibly understand.

But we try not to be cruel to such folks. They are lesser fans than we and, in truth, deserve our pity. They may have their championships, their winning seasons, their superstars who are not murderers and convicted felons. But they have no soul. You can see it in their cold, dead eyes. You hear it in their feeble cheers. You smell it on their breath that reeks of cheap wine and girlie drinks.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Boomstick
01-12-2016, 02:45 PM
We're everywhere. It's a nice thing to share with a stranger when you're an expat or out of town and watching a Sabres game. I could swill Labatt and complain about my team, their coaches, management for hours, commiserate all night long about how god awful they are and how we don't deserve it.

This happened to me several times while living in North Carolina.

sahlensguy
01-12-2016, 03:10 PM
The coolest part is to have a team that is in your blood. Any team Not unlike, or any better than any other fan of any other sport team in any city. And better yet with friends and family.

trapezeus
01-12-2016, 03:21 PM
had a similar experience the other day on the streets of NYC. I was sitting with my daughter and a guy walked by with a bills hat and I nodded at him. and he saw my bills hat and lifted the hat and smiled. being a bills fan is a bit punk rock. it's not popular. not a lot of people are into it, but when you see a like minded person, you feel a small kinship that bandwagon panthers, patriot, seahawk fans don't get.

Night Train
01-13-2016, 09:54 AM
I've been getting non-stop sympathy sex since SB XXV.

chernobylwraiths
01-13-2016, 10:10 AM
I wear my Bills/Sabres stuff whenever I go out of town. I always get comments on it. Luckily, since we have been bad for so long, nobody has a hatred for the team, so comments are generally nice, even from fans of other teams. My kids roll their eyes when I wear my stuff but they know, that SOMEONE will comment. In DC last summer, a young man crossed the street to fistbump me saying "GO Bills". In the Capitol, a Capitol guard asked me if Reinhart would make the club and if he had what it takes. I had a sabres shirt on with 23 on it. I mentioned how I knew he was a fan because I hadn't turned around to show the back said Reinhart to which he replied, "Well, I didn't think it was Leino shirt". I had Secret Service men in the White House ask me about the Bills too. Every day, someone said something about my hat or clothes. THAT is why it is cool to be a fan of these teams.

Mr. Miyagi
01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm in the heart of Packer country and I drive with "GOB1LLS" on my license plate. At least once a week I get waved at by people driving by with a Bills sticker on their cars. When we see each other around here, we're like family that sticks together.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-13-2016, 10:57 AM
The coolest thing is to not have anything to root for in January....kidding.

seriously, i know that fans of our team are true fans, and not douchebag bandwagoners like Patriot and Seattle fans (and soon to be Ram fans) so it's nice to see people out and about with Bills gear. always brings a smile to my face.

SpikedLemonade
01-13-2016, 11:13 AM
I think success will feel better because we get so little of it.

That is the hope of Bills and Sabre fans.

trapezeus
01-13-2016, 01:05 PM
thinking more of it, I met a guy at the top of the Eiffel tower because I was wearing a bills hat and had a conversation with him, and last year I saw a family in Jamaica with sabres stuff on and we chatted at the hotel pool about the draft. the lotto was to be determined the next day. after we lost the lotto, te guy said he knew that'd happen and "bought" me a beer for the misery. We were at an all inclusive so he really just brought it to me.

Buckets
01-14-2016, 02:36 PM

The only way to get their attention is to hit them in the wallet.