• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Rob is Rex. Rex is Rob. We're doomed.

"There were a few things that you looked at from a year ago [in 2014] and you said, 'We can't have X number of snaps with not the right number of guys on the field," Payton said after firing Rob Ryan last November. "We can't burn timeouts, you know, every other week because we can't get the right personnel on the field. We just can't do that. We can't have guys looking left and right at the snap of the ball."

Sound familiar?

Just read this article on espn and omg, I never knew half of this. Now I have ZERO hope, when at least before I thought there were powerball chances of this being successful. He literally has the same problems as Rex, with players being overwhelmed by an overly complex scheme. So instead of getting a DC to crank it down, hiring Rob is putting gas on a flame.

• Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Rob is Rex. Rex is Rob. We're doomed.

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical View Post
    "There were a few things that you looked at from a year ago [in 2014] and you said, 'We can't have X number of snaps with not the right number of guys on the field," Payton said after firing Rob Ryan last November. "We can't burn timeouts, you know, every other week because we can't get the right personnel on the field. We just can't do that. We can't have guys looking left and right at the snap of the ball."

Sound familiar?

Just read this article on espn and omg, I never knew half of this. Now I have ZERO hope, when at least before I thought there were powerball chances of this being successful. He literally has the same problems as Rex, with players being overwhelmed by an overly complex scheme. So instead of getting a DC to crank it down, hiring Rob is putting gas on a flame.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...to-run-defense
    Interesting thing to me is that Buddy ran an aggressive defense that dictated, his sons run wannabe-aggressives that are dictated to by the offenses they are facing in most cases. Most cases, because look at the 2nd NE game. They didn't play the fancy dancing overthinking game. I think Pettine had his degree of success here because he simplified it for the position groups.

I don't really see any sign that Rex or Rob have learned anything as the Ryan hybrid declines because of coaches, oc's and QB's who know how to rough it up.

Hiring Rob absolutely was putting gas on a flame. There's some chance it might work. Put gas on that flame and aim it right and you can burn some people, and they have the same, hm, vision.

Or it gets worse but will be entertainingly catastrophic.

May as well hope for the best, but don't expect it, because nothing is going to change for a couple years.

Comment

• Luisito23
      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
      • Apr 2003

Might as well write off next year and if these idiots are here again, write off the year after that as well.
      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
        • Apr 2005

If the team owners and Gm don't see the truth in all this who (other then half the fans ) does?
        I getting so sick of all this continuity bs. If continuity was so important why did these idiots destroy a very good defense for this years version of Ryan's follies. OBD will always have an excuse but no one takes responsibility
        We are now stuck with 2 idiot Ryans and all the ex Jet minions.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by sdbillsfan2 View Post
          If the team owners and Gm don't see the truth in all this who (other then half the fans ) does?
          I getting so sick of all this continuity bs. If continuity was so important why did these idiots destroy a very good defense for this years version of Ryan's follies. OBD will always have an excuse but no one takes responsibility
          We are now stuck with 2 idiot Ryans and all the ex Jet minions.
          Pretty sure there are some people in NYC and New Orleans that are enjoying the Bills moves.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Help me out here...

Barnum and Bailey?
            Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dumass?
            Pinkie and The Brain?
            The Ambiguously Meh Duo?
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Everything I hear sounds like they want to turn football into rocket science.

In the NFL, it's about talent of the players ten times more than it about scheme. Confuse these guys, and the results will not be pretty.

Comment

• pmoon6
                Legendary Zoner
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                Interesting thing to me is that Buddy ran an aggressive defense that dictated, his sons run wannabe-aggressives that are dictated to by the offenses they are facing in most cases. Most cases, because look at the 2nd NE game. They didn't play the fancy dancing overthinking game. I think Pettine had his degree of success here because he simplified it for the position groups.

I don't really see any sign that Rex or Rob have learned anything as the Ryan hybrid declines because of coaches, oc's and QB's who know how to rough it up.

Hiring Rob absolutely was putting gas on a flame. There's some chance it might work. Put gas on that flame and aim it right and you can burn some people, and they have the same, hm, vision.

Or it gets worse but will be entertainingly catastrophic.

May as well hope for the best, but don't expect it, because nothing is going to change for a couple years.
                HaHa. Buddy Ryan was blessed with great players. Da Bears and then Reggie White and company in Philly. He didn't fair so well in Houston and Arizona, although Houston had a good front seven, their secondary was sub par.

Comment

• Mace
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                  HaHa. Buddy Ryan was blessed with great players. Da Bears and then Reggie White and company in Philly. He didn't fair so well in Houston and Arizona, although Houston had a good front seven, their secondary was sub par.
                  Agree, but he also did more with the players, like how he moved Dan Hampton around over the weakest OL, and moved Reggie White around.

Buddy Ryan, when he was there, they were going to do everything they could to make sure Reggie White was only going to have one guy blocking him. So the worst was when Bart Oates, our center, we'd walk up to the line of scrimmage and Reggie White would be head-up on him.
                  via Phil Simms : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...the-nfl-legend

The only thing you saw Rex do with Mario, Kyle and Dareus was drop them into coverage.

Comment

• Turf
                    • Jul 2002

We literally have two of the biggest twin bozos with the same defect making the same mistakes coaching our team again. Do we expect them to fix it? We resign a failing GM and give Brandon the Sabres and more security. 6 wins next year. Things will never change with the lack of insight ownership has.
                    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Mace
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                      Things will never change with the lack of insight ownership has.
                      I find it hard to believe you have so little faith in Russ "Smiley Photobomb" Brandon. 5 more years, tops, until we get back to 9-7.

Comment

• cookie G
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        Agree, but he also did more with the players, like how he moved Dan Hampton around over the weakest OL, and moved Reggie White around.
                        The defense Rex ran last year is about as far from a "46" as it could be, both in execution and pilosophy. And it makes me chuckle listening to people call it a 46, or 46 hybrid,

Buddy couild be summed up in 1 word: Pressure. His pursuit of pressure bordered on the psychotic.

To stop a passing game, you can't stop it unless you put pressure on it. Now some people are good enough to put it on with a three-man rush; well, we're not. In fact, I don't know whether we're good enough to put it on with a four-man rush. If we have to send eight, we'll send eight, but we're not going to let you sit back there and pick us apart all day.
                        — Buddy Ryan,

His entire goal of all those cool formations was to mess up blocking assignments and get people to the QB. Thus he did funky things like using his tackles in double A gap or have 2 LBs lining up side by side. He might have a backside lineman with 2 gap responsibilities..but everyone else...was going. He ran a 4 man front, but had at least one LB going constantly to the QB.

Rushing 3 is not a 46;
                        Rushing 4, not getting pressure, and continuing to rush 4, is not a 46.
                        Dropping a DL into coverage and occasionally sending a DB is a zone blitz, it isn't a 46.
                        Putting 8 people in the box, and then havign 5 of them drop back into coverage is not a 46.

I'm not quite sure what Rex's defense would be called, but a 46, or any other type of Buddy Ryan defense, it was not.

Based based on the times he dropped 8 into coverage...or the number of times he threatened a blitz, but didnt...the "I lost my nerve" defense might be more accurate.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          Help me out here...

Barnum and Bailey?
                          Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dumass?
                          Pinkie and The Brain?
                          The Ambiguously Meh Duo?
                          The Wonder Twins.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Bellicheat is having a boner. He gets to make the twins his beeyotch!
                            Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-14-2016, 09:17 AM.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• mightysimi
                              Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                              • Mar 2010

As much as everyone is on the bash Rex wagon, how can you build anything in 1 year? Are we the Browns now? Dumping someone after one season?

I'm not the biggest Rex sympathizer but seriously, can we give him an actual shot before we change again?

Comment

Working...
                              X