PDA

View Full Version : Rob is Rex. Rex is Rob. We're doomed.

Mr. Cynical
01-13-2016, 03:39 PM
"There were a few things that you looked at from a year ago [in 2014] and you said, 'We can't have X number of snaps with not the right number of guys on the field," Payton said after firing Rob Ryan (http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/11/new_orleans_saints_rob_ryan_2.html) last November. "We can't burn timeouts, you know, every other week because we can't get the right personnel on the field. We just can't do that. We can't have guys looking left and right at the snap of the ball."

Sound familiar?

Just read this article on espn and omg, I never knew half of this. Now I have ZERO hope, when at least before I thought there were powerball chances of this being successful. He literally has the same problems as Rex, with players being overwhelmed by an overly complex scheme. So instead of getting a DC to crank it down, hiring Rob is putting gas on a flame.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23389/bills-risk-madness-if-rob-ryan-has-another-chance-to-run-defense

Mace
01-13-2016, 04:01 PM
"There were a few things that you looked at from a year ago [in 2014] and you said, 'We can't have X number of snaps with not the right number of guys on the field," Payton said after firing Rob Ryan (http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/11/new_orleans_saints_rob_ryan_2.html) last November. "We can't burn timeouts, you know, every other week because we can't get the right personnel on the field. We just can't do that. We can't have guys looking left and right at the snap of the ball."

Sound familiar?

Just read this article on espn and omg, I never knew half of this. Now I have ZERO hope, when at least before I thought there were powerball chances of this being successful. He literally has the same problems as Rex, with players being overwhelmed by an overly complex scheme. So instead of getting a DC to crank it down, hiring Rob is putting gas on a flame.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23389/bills-risk-madness-if-rob-ryan-has-another-chance-to-run-defense

Interesting thing to me is that Buddy ran an aggressive defense that dictated, his sons run wannabe-aggressives that are dictated to by the offenses they are facing in most cases. Most cases, because look at the 2nd NE game. They didn't play the fancy dancing overthinking game. I think Pettine had his degree of success here because he simplified it for the position groups.

I don't really see any sign that Rex or Rob have learned anything as the Ryan hybrid declines because of coaches, oc's and QB's who know how to rough it up.

Hiring Rob absolutely was putting gas on a flame. There's some chance it might work. Put gas on that flame and aim it right and you can burn some people, and they have the same, hm, vision.

Or it gets worse but will be entertainingly catastrophic.

May as well hope for the best, but don't expect it, because nothing is going to change for a couple years.

Luisito23
01-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Might as well write off next year and if these idiots are here again, write off the year after that as well.

sdbillsfan2
01-13-2016, 04:12 PM
If the team owners and Gm don't see the truth in all this who (other then half the fans ) does?
I getting so sick of all this continuity bs. If continuity was so important why did these idiots destroy a very good defense for this years version of Ryan's follies. OBD will always have an excuse but no one takes responsibility
We are now stuck with 2 idiot Ryans and all the ex Jet minions.

EDS
01-13-2016, 04:23 PM
If the team owners and Gm don't see the truth in all this who (other then half the fans ) does?
I getting so sick of all this continuity bs. If continuity was so important why did these idiots destroy a very good defense for this years version of Ryan's follies. OBD will always have an excuse but no one takes responsibility
We are now stuck with 2 idiot Ryans and all the ex Jet minions.

Pretty sure there are some people in NYC and New Orleans that are enjoying the Bills moves.

YardRat
01-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Help me out here...

Barnum and Bailey?
Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dumass?
Pinkie and The Brain?
The Ambiguously Meh Duo?

feldspar
01-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Everything I hear sounds like they want to turn football into rocket science.

In the NFL, it's about talent of the players ten times more than it about scheme. Confuse these guys, and the results will not be pretty.

pmoon6
01-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Interesting thing to me is that Buddy ran an aggressive defense that dictated, his sons run wannabe-aggressives that are dictated to by the offenses they are facing in most cases. Most cases, because look at the 2nd NE game. They didn't play the fancy dancing overthinking game. I think Pettine had his degree of success here because he simplified it for the position groups.

I don't really see any sign that Rex or Rob have learned anything as the Ryan hybrid declines because of coaches, oc's and QB's who know how to rough it up.

Hiring Rob absolutely was putting gas on a flame. There's some chance it might work. Put gas on that flame and aim it right and you can burn some people, and they have the same, hm, vision.

Or it gets worse but will be entertainingly catastrophic.

May as well hope for the best, but don't expect it, because nothing is going to change for a couple years.HaHa. Buddy Ryan was blessed with great players. Da Bears and then Reggie White and company in Philly. He didn't fair so well in Houston and Arizona, although Houston had a good front seven, their secondary was sub par.

Mace
01-13-2016, 04:57 PM
HaHa. Buddy Ryan was blessed with great players. Da Bears and then Reggie White and company in Philly. He didn't fair so well in Houston and Arizona, although Houston had a good front seven, their secondary was sub par.

Agree, but he also did more with the players, like how he moved Dan Hampton around over the weakest OL, and moved Reggie White around.

Buddy Ryan, when he was there, they were going to do everything they could to make sure Reggie White was only going to have one guy blocking him. So the worst was when Bart Oates, our center, we'd walk up to the line of scrimmage and Reggie White would be head-up on him.

via Phil Simms : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2305672-10-years-after-reggie-whites-death-phil-simms-reflects-on-the-nfl-legend

The only thing you saw Rex do with Mario, Kyle and Dareus was drop them into coverage.

Turf
01-13-2016, 05:12 PM
We literally have two of the biggest twin bozos with the same defect making the same mistakes coaching our team again. Do we expect them to fix it? We resign a failing GM and give Brandon the Sabres and more security. 6 wins next year. Things will never change with the lack of insight ownership has.

Mace
01-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Things will never change with the lack of insight ownership has.

I find it hard to believe you have so little faith in Russ "Smiley Photobomb" Brandon. 5 more years, tops, until we get back to 9-7.

cookie G
01-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Agree, but he also did more with the players, like how he moved Dan Hampton around over the weakest OL, and moved Reggie White around.

The defense Rex ran last year is about as far from a "46" as it could be, both in execution and pilosophy. And it makes me chuckle listening to people call it a 46, or 46 hybrid,

Buddy couild be summed up in 1 word: Pressure. His pursuit of pressure bordered on the psychotic.

To stop a passing game, you can't stop it unless you put pressure on it. Now some people are good enough to put it on with a three-man rush; well, we're not. In fact, I don't know whether we're good enough to put it on with a four-man rush. If we have to send eight, we'll send eight, but we're not going to let you sit back there and pick us apart all day.
— Buddy Ryan,

His entire goal of all those cool formations was to mess up blocking assignments and get people to the QB. Thus he did funky things like using his tackles in double A gap or have 2 LBs lining up side by side. He might have a backside lineman with 2 gap responsibilities..but everyone else...was going. He ran a 4 man front, but had at least one LB going constantly to the QB.

Rushing 3 is not a 46;
Rushing 4, not getting pressure, and continuing to rush 4, is not a 46.
Dropping a DL into coverage and occasionally sending a DB is a zone blitz, it isn't a 46.
Putting 8 people in the box, and then havign 5 of them drop back into coverage is not a 46.

I'm not quite sure what Rex's defense would be called, but a 46, or any other type of Buddy Ryan defense, it was not.

Based based on the times he dropped 8 into coverage...or the number of times he threatened a blitz, but didnt...the "I lost my nerve" defense might be more accurate.

DynaPaul
01-13-2016, 07:48 PM
Help me out here...

Barnum and Bailey?
Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dumass?
Pinkie and The Brain?
The Ambiguously Meh Duo?

The Wonder Twins.

justasportsfan
01-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Bellicheat is having a boner. He gets to make the twins his beeyotch!

mightysimi
01-14-2016, 09:28 AM
As much as everyone is on the bash Rex wagon, how can you build anything in 1 year? Are we the Browns now? Dumping someone after one season?

I'm not the biggest Rex sympathizer but seriously, can we give him an actual shot before we change again?

Bill Cody
01-14-2016, 09:31 AM
It's sad there's only two brothers. If there was a 3rd we could have "Curley". We already have Moe and Larry. It's all part of Peg's master plan to get the #1 pick.

justasportsfan
01-14-2016, 09:33 AM
As much as everyone is on the bash Rex wagon, how can you build anything in 1 year? Are we the Browns now? Dumping someone after one season?

I'm not the biggest Rex sympathizer but seriously, can we give him an actual shot before we change again?

it's not that he can build a team in 1 year but how he easily destroyed an elite D in 1 camp . I was also looking to see signs of him learning from his experience as jets HC. Same loudmouth , same crappy time management,etc.

He looked as lost on the bills sideline as when Marrone beat the crap out of him last year. I still wish he can turn things around but I'm not holding my breath.

Bill Cody
01-14-2016, 09:38 AM

Sadly no

Typ0
01-14-2016, 10:18 AM

He failed to make necessary adjustments throughout this season. Then, he held a press conference to tell us he wasn't going to change any of the things that needed addressing because he has "done it this way for years".

Do you really think keeping this guy as the coach for the sake of continuity is going to change outcomes? It isn't. Ryan is stuck in a decades old mentality with tunnel vision about how to run a game. Continuity of crap is not going to make this team better.

Pinkerton Security
01-14-2016, 10:53 AM
He failed to make necessary adjustments throughout this season. Then, he held a press conference to tell us he wasn't going to change any of the things that needed addressing because he has "done it this way for years".

Do you really think keeping this guy as the coach for the sake of continuity is going to change outcomes? It isn't. Ryan is stuck in a decades old mentality with tunnel vision about how to run a game. Continuity of crap is not going to make this team better.

Rex's defenses have historically almost always been good or great - last year it wasn't. Why? Players weren't buying into the scheme, and players had a hard time understanding the scheme.

What will fix this?
1) Continuing to learn in the same defensive scheme year after year.
2) Getting proper personnel to run said scheme
3) Bringing in additional coaches who can help convey the scheme (Ed Reed, Rob)

I'm not saying I know Rob Ryan is going to help our defense, but to flat out say we WILL NOT get better no matter what is ridiculous and an uneducated guess. I am not a fan of the Rob hiring myself but it makes sense to bring in guys who know your system well to convey this to the guys that will be playing within it.

Ginger Vitis
01-14-2016, 12:06 PM
It's sad there's only two brothers. If there was a 3rd we could have "Curley".

The Ryan twins have a older brother who is a lawyer

Joe Fo Sho
01-14-2016, 12:17 PM
The Ryan twins have a older brother who is a lawyer

We find the defendant....NOT GUILTY!!

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/hb2uhdcf07mopdjn4ypk.gif

mightysimi
01-14-2016, 07:05 PM
it's not that he can build a team in 1 year but how he easily destroyed an elite D in 1 camp . I was also looking to see signs of him learning from his experience as jets HC. Same loudmouth , same crappy time management,etc.

He looked as lost on the bills sideline as when Marrone beat the crap out of him last year. I still wish he can turn things around but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm willing to give a year to see if the d switch in the middle of the season was part of the problem.

mightysimi
01-14-2016, 08:53 PM

Just off the top of my head, here is a list of coaches who are older who do things their own way: Bill Belichek, Bruce Arians, Pete Carrol. I'm not too sure what they are up to right now. It can be done without running to flavour of the week. Rex has his flaws so I 'm not defending him to the death here but I just don't know how you know anything about what is the team is trying to do in 1 season of scheme changes, key injuries and overall poor play from some guys we expected lots of production from. If the team was average on D the year before and any other new coach came in and they didn't improve immediately, most here would be saying to relax and that it is a new scheme that everyone is learning. I don't see this as different. Maybe I'm wrong but I am willing to see more.

YardRat
01-15-2016, 06:36 AM

He didn't have to build a defense, or special teams. They were handed to him. All he had to do was keep moving forward with those two, and build an offense. Unfortunately for all of us, ego and nepotism got in the way.

If you were hired to take over a company that is one of the best in your industry at R&D and manufacturing, but sucks at distribution/shipping, are you going to re-vamp the entire process?

mightysimi
01-15-2016, 07:00 AM
He didn't have to build a defense, or special teams. They were handed to him. All he had to do was keep moving forward with those two, and build an offense. Unfortunately for all of us, ego and nepotism got in the way.

If you were hired to take over a company that is one of the best in your industry at R&D and manufacturing, but sucks at distribution/shipping, are you going to re-vamp the entire process?

So you expected him to leave the d as is and call a game based on a d he doesn't know? Come on this isn't the first time a coach came in and brought his own scheme. Are we just that pissed because this was the legitimate shot (or so we thought) to end the playoff drought? Special teams did take a step back and I hope that will be addressed but are we sure that last year wasn't an anomaly as our st is just as bad as the year before?

I get your business analogy there but usually in business, and specifically in your example of manufacturing, there is a right way and a wrong way. In football there are many different ways to do things.

Like I said, I'm not going to defend him to the death but seriously one season!!? Yes he talks too much but in reality, who cares what he says. It shouldn't matter in any way to the product on the field.

I guess I'm the minority here in wanting to give the guy another year but I haven't heard who anyone wants to replace Rex. Plus are you really going to give Taylor a different O to run in the season you need to find out if he is a player because of his contract status? Or is everyone here on board with starting over?

CommissarSpartacus
01-15-2016, 07:34 AM
I'll say the same thing now that I said when I first hear we were hiring Rex, except this now goes for Rex AND his brother...

How am I supposed to be excited about turning our team over to guys we've all ridiculed when the were coaching OTHER TEAMS for the past five years?

OpIv37
01-15-2016, 07:43 AM
I see this as a status quo move. Rob will implement Rex's D so Rex can be a little more hands off.

Either the players will get it or they won't, just like if Rob wasn't here.

My guess is that they won't.

YardRat
01-15-2016, 07:49 AM
So you expected him to leave the d as is and call a game based on a d he doesn't know?

I expect a Head Coach to recognize strengths and weaknesses, and allow his coordinators to call the games. If Wrecks wants to 'call games' I'll be more than happy to unload him so he can be a DC somewhere else.

Plus are you really going to give Taylor a different O to run in the season you need to find out if he is a player because of his contract status? Or is everyone here on board with starting over?

I really don't understand why some are so adamantly against the concept of bringing in a new head coach but keeping some parts (like coordinators) in place. A new head coach doesn't have to be brought in under the pretense that he gets to re-vamp the entire organization, especially those parts that are functioning at a high level. We needed a John Gruden or Mike Tomlin or Tony Dungy type hire (who all won Super Bowls after taking over the HC job by keeping coordinators already there), not a Wrecks Wryan type hire.

Bill Cody
01-15-2016, 07:51 AM
I'll say the same thing now that I said when I first hear we were hiring Rex, except this now goes for Rex AND his brother...

How am I supposed to be excited about turning our team over to guys we've all ridiculed when the were coaching OTHER TEAMS for the past five years?

Because now they're different and matured?:laughing:

cookie G
01-15-2016, 08:05 AM

Basically how I feel. This would be a pretty funny situation..if it was on another team.

And we were getting so close too.

mightysimi
01-15-2016, 08:11 AM
I expect a Head Coach to recognize strengths and weaknesses, and allow his coordinators to call the games. If Wrecks wants to 'call games' I'll be more than happy to unload him so he can be a DC somewhere else.

I really don't understand why some are so adamantly against the concept of bringing in a new head coach but keeping some parts (like coordinators) in place. A new head coach doesn't have to be brought in under the pretense that he gets to re-vamp the entire organization, especially those parts that are functioning at a high level. We needed a John Gruden or Mike Tomlin or Tony Dungy type hire (who all won Super Bowls after taking over the HC job by keeping coordinators already there), not a Wrecks Wryan type hire.

Clearly that is the exception. Most coaches bring their own staff/scheme.

Ok well there are 3 names that are unavailable. Who's next on the list?

YardRat
01-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Clearly that is the exception. Most coaches bring their own staff/scheme.

Ok well there are 3 names that are unavailable. Who's next on the list?

In football there are many different ways to do things.

So why did we, and do we now, have to move forward by 'the rule' instead of the exception?

mightysimi
01-15-2016, 08:27 AM
So why did we, and do we now, have to move forward by 'the rule' instead of the exception?

We don't have to. So who is it? Who is the magical coach who will come in and be dictated who his guys will be?

YardRat
01-15-2016, 08:48 AM
We don't have to. So who is it? Who is the magical coach who will come in and be dictated who his guys will be?

Well, considering last season is water under the bridge I'll address this from the standpoint of the current situation.

I would guess Schwartz would have no problem retaining Roman as OC, if that bridge hasn't already been burnt to a crisp by Pegula/Whaley/Brandon.
Frank Reich comes to mind, as I've already stated.
Any DC that wants a shot at the top job would probably be good with it.
Hell, even a re-tread like Coughlin might be amenable to the idea.

I certainly can't positively confirm that any of these individuals would definitely agree to come here, but then again I'm pretty sure nobody can positively say they wouldn't, other than the company line rhetoric 'Well, most guys want to bring in their own staff, that's how it's done'.

mightysimi
01-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks for mentioning names instead of just saying get someone.

Schwartz is a good one. Frank Reich not so sure. I'm not interested in a guy learning on the job again. Plus if he was good at what he does, he might still have a job in SD. I would take Coughlin too but at his age and experience level, In my opinion, he doesn't seem like the guy to me who will be told he has to do anything and I don't think he keeps the scheme so we are back to learning in year 1 again.

Schwartz might be the only one to not set us back a couple of years in terms of learning new systems. I could go with that. Having said that, I still am interested in seeing year 2. I think he is a decent coach and I think a lot of the NFL agrees with how many interviews he had set up when he was on the market. He just talks too much. He says stupid **** that the media jumps all over. I hope they/he make the necessary adjustments going into year 2 so that we can see what we have. Another disappointing **** show and I am right there with you.

justasportsfan
01-15-2016, 09:57 AM
I'm willing to give a year to see if the d switch in the middle of the season was part of the problem.

Thats completely fine, but my goal is the superbowl and I don't see us making it there with Rex as the HC.

mightysimi
01-15-2016, 02:36 PM
Thats completely fine, but my goal is the superbowl and I don't see us making it there with Rex as the HC.

Sweet what are next week's lottery numbers?

mightysimi
01-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Sorry being a dick but seriously, how can we know? There were at least 5 teams willing to interview Rex when he was available. What do we know that they do not?

I think that he can be a good coach. Well I hope he can.

YardRat
01-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Sorry being a dick but seriously, how can we know? There were at least 5 teams willing to interview Rex when he was available. What do we know that they do not?

We can't know for sure until it happens. I'm willing to admit that despite my many protests, there is a slim chance that this staff can turn things around...but, considering their track record, I highly doubt it. Wrecks is who he is, and does what he does, and unfortunately for him and us it's pretty well documented. After 15 years of no playoffs, alternating years with good defense/bad offense, vice versa, and bad both, running the gamete of ****ty coaches for the entire century thus far, it's been a really frustrating year seeing the team get to a certain point (solid ST's, dominant defense) and being thisclose only to have it completely dismantled and have to start over yet again.

Mace
01-15-2016, 04:35 PM

I think we all hope he can be a good coach.

We had new owners that fell for his charisma, that's what everyone else falls for too, though his other interviews didn't offer him the job. That's his main selling point, along with being a defensive guru. Earlier this year, Ryan said he considers himself an innovator (mentioning himself in the same breath as real innovators), said he was flexible and adaptive when questioned about the D before the season, said he learned from his previous HC mistakes.

That leads to why I don't think he'll be a good coach. He's not an innovator, flexible, adaptive, and he's set about replicating his HC mistakes. Besides his charisma, which added nothing to the team mix besides overexciting the hotheads, even his defensive guru'ing was lacking. The man drops Dareus and Kyle into coverage. I mean really think about that, not like he has an over abundance of pass rush from his coverage db's and can afford it.

He's saying of late, his mistake was in trying to mix his scheme with the old one. But if you read the articles, he won't say how. He's not an idiot and capable of explaining. He won't. Because he didn't. I mean people are buying it, not like they didn't watch the games themselves, and not like anyone can say how he mixed them, because he didn't. But people are going along with it, not even paying attention to all the other lip service he spouts.

That replay challenge stuff. It took him that long to understand it, he's been an HC for years. Shortly after that he admitted the game has become complicated. Um, he noticed suddenly mid season ?

Instead of being a flexible, adaptive innovator who learned from his mistakes, he's stubbornly doubling down and digging in his heels. That's not the mark of a good HC.

I can appreciate hoping for the best. But there's not much reason to expect it besides blind faith, imho.

mightysimi
01-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Wow flat out calling him a liar. New one, but sure. When the D in NY was at the top did we hear anyone complaining about dropping richardson or Wilkerson?

What I see is a history of his scheme working fairly well. Maybe he is best suited for a DC role but if the D plays anywhere near average, we are still playing. Don't you want to see if it can get to that level when all the players are going where they are supposed to go? Don't you want to see if Taylor (who most analysts seem to like) can take a step forward in year 2 as a starter without having to change scheme? or the play that started to develop with Watkins at the back half of the season? or McCoy and Williams for a whole season?

Or do you want to start over? Again.

Mace
01-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Wow flat out calling him a liar. New one, but sure. When the D in NY was at the top did we hear anyone complaining about dropping richardson or Wilkerson?

What I see is a history of his scheme working fairly well. Maybe he is best suited for a DC role but if the D plays anywhere near average, we are still playing. Don't you want to see if it can get to that level when all the players are going where they are supposed to go? Don't you want to see if Taylor (who most analysts seem to like) can take a step forward in year 2 as a starter without having to change scheme? or the play that started to develop with Watkins at the back half of the season? or McCoy and Williams for a whole season?

Or do you want to start over? Again.

Well, like you pointed out, diff things work diff ways in the NFL. Richardson and Wilkerson are not really Kyle Williams and Dareus, and Ryan had an effective pass rush going with his db's. If you look, Ryan defenses did poorly this year across the board. Saints, Browns and Bills all in the lower half of the league.

It doesn't really matter if I want to see if it can get to that level, as I said, we all hope it will, and I can't get rid of him no matter how much I want to anyway, we're stuck with what happens, and if it succeeds down the road I'll have no issue saying how wrong I was.

Do you really think McCoy will be healthy a whole season ? I don't.

Do I really want to start over again, no. Do you ? Because we are, already.

I don't have much issue with the offense besides what Whaley gave them, which I don't feel was smart. An overpriced WR, an overpriced RB, three failing young core linemen, a deficient backup QB, and an overpriced brittle TE who won't get enough touches, and a useless fullback.

But the D is starting over. And it won't magically all come together next year.

cookie G
01-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Wow flat out calling him a liar. New one, but sure.

Oh, very much so. Its how he got the job. Nothing new to it...people often tell people what they want to hear when they are looking for work.

Here's what he said in his press conference..after he fired Schwartz...

"One thing you'll find out about me is that it's not ego-driven. We're not going to definitely play a 3-4 or a 4-3, for that matter. We're going to have in our arsenal the ability to do anything. As an opponent, you've got to prepare for everything because, if not, I'm going to find out what you're not prepared for and I'll attack you appropriately. That's how we play defense. We play defense based on our personnel, not just the scheme. I don't try to put a square peg in a round hole."

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/01/rex_ryan_explains_firing_jim_schwartz_says_buffalo_bills_defense_will_rank_no_1.html

-not ego driven;
-defense based on personnel;
-not just scheme;
-don't try to put a square peg in a round hole.

That's 4 lies in one quote. (Earlier, someone actually referred to that as "coach speak".) Lol.

Do you really think he went in and told the Pegula's that he needed 2-3 years and a change in half the defensive personnel to put a competitive defense on the field?

If he said anything close to that...he wasn't getting hired. After the time and effort to get this defense into top 5 status, who in their right mind would want to rebuild it?

So..he talks about not being scheme specific...and puts himself off as this general defensive tactician who can coach just about anything.

Mace
01-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I didn't even think twice about calling him a liar, didn't even occur to me to defend it, and didn't think it was a new one.

Odd thing, I'm not sure he is lying on purpose, he just runs a different version of reality in his head and seems startled and unprepared when he finds out otherwise.

CommissarSpartacus
01-16-2016, 07:23 AM

Generally, teams look for new HCs because they fired the last one. The last one got fired because the team's performance sucked.

In other words, they ****ed up.

So, the interest of a bunch of failure franchises in Rex doesn't mean he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Ask yourself a question - if, for some reason, Bill Belichick resigned from football forever after last year's SB, do you think the Patriots would have been interested in hiring Rex Ryan?

mightysimi
01-16-2016, 08:19 AM
Generally, teams look for new HCs because they fired the last one. The last one got fired because the team's performance sucked.

In other words, they ****ed up.

So, the interest of a bunch of failure franchises in Rex doesn't mean he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Ask yourself a question - if, for some reason, Bill Belichick resigned from football forever after last year's SB, do you think the Patriots would have been interested in hiring Rex Ryan?

I can see that me wishing for continuity and just to see what we have for one more year has twisted into overwhelming support for Rex. My point about the interviews was that maybe us fans on the message board aren't necessarily as good at making football decisions as the people who are paid to do them. To the same extent there is a lot of hate on Taylor however, I choose to believe the people in the NFL who get paid to do this, who seem to think he had a very promising start to his playing career.

I can't say what the Patriots would have done if Belichek retired. Most probably they wouldn't have because they don't have a culture of talking to the media. Complete opposite of Rex. However, if they did make the hire, are they the type of organization to dump a guy after one season before he has a chance to do what he wanted to do with the team? I don't think they are.

I choose to believe the players when the say everyone wasn't buying in and not going where they are supposed to. I don't know why but I believe Rex when he says they tried to switch the D mid-season. I just want to see what happens when everyone buys in. I believe there was a lot of growth in the offence which I would like to see continue. That is why I am willing to see one more year. I am just so tired of starting over.

Mouldsie
01-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Everything I hear sounds like they want to turn football into rocket science.

In the NFL, it's about talent of the players ten times more than it about scheme. Confuse these guys, and the results will not be pretty.
Yup. I think ultimately it's about talent and match-ups and finding then exploiting those favorable match-ups for you.... while not making your player think more than he needs to or is capable of in any given situation.... which can be trained. You can also more easily confuse your opponent by operating decisively vs using complexity IMO

"Winning is simple, but it isn't easy" - Marv Levy

But the best teams over the last 4 years have followed this approach IMO in NE and SEA.... and now pretty much every team and unit left, outside of possibly the Denver offense, is following that formula above this year.

Mouldsie
01-23-2016, 02:29 PM

:clap:

Mouldsie
01-23-2016, 02:33 PM
We should have probably hired Hue Jackson, Josh McDaniels, or Adam Gase last year. Now we just have to wait for this current FO/coaching staff to inevitably implode before I have any renewed hope.

Mr. Cynical
01-25-2016, 04:45 PM

I think we have enough evidence already. He has been a head coach since 2009 and his record is 56–58 (.491). It's not like he is a new HC. He's had 7 years and is under .500.

mightysimi
01-25-2016, 04:53 PM
I think we have enough evidence already. He has been a head coach since 2009 and his record is 56–58 (.491). It's not like he is a new HC. He's had 7 years and is under .500.

Looking at just that isn't always the case. Last year in NY they hamstrung him with a poor roster for example. Again not saying he is Madden, but just looking at the winning percentage doesn't exactly tell the whole story.

Turf
01-25-2016, 04:55 PM
Rex is a story teller and a poor coach. Now I'll guarantee he has a strict plan in place and coaches for reviews. But before that, he was clueless. He fixed it once he found out, but he has to be slapped in the face before he learns anything. He's not head coaching material.

Mace
01-25-2016, 05:03 PM

May as well hope for the best though, he's not going anywhere any time soon. I mean I'm sure I think he's terrible but I still have hopes he won't be. I don't want to be more miserable than I am already about what I feel is the state of the team.

Mace
01-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Rex is a story teller and a poor coach. Now I'll guarantee he has a strict plan in place and coaches for reviews. But before that, he was clueless. He fixed it once he found out, but he has to be slapped in the face before he learns anything. He's not head coaching material.

Well, slow down on guaranteeing anything, he's been up to this for years. There's no real good reason to believe he's learned anything, he never does.

Comical I post this just after saying I still have hopes. I'm conflicted.

YardRat
01-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Looking at just that isn't always the case. Last year in NY they hamstrung him with a poor roster for example. Again not saying he is Madden, but just looking at the winning percentage doesn't exactly tell the whole story.

Well, if 8-8 is his ceiling here because he's 'hamstrung' with a good roster, that says a lot.

mightysimi
01-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Well, if 8-8 is his ceiling here because he's 'hamstrung' with a good roster, that says a lot.

Do we have a good roster? Apparently to most here, everyone sucks.

So to you, with a different coach, we are playoff bound next year?

Mouldsie
01-25-2016, 09:04 PM

We had a better roster (and health) than Kansas City.

Turf
01-25-2016, 09:42 PM
This team is doomed with the buffoon. I should make this my signature.

Historian
01-26-2016, 03:22 AM
Rex is here to stay, so this is what I want to see this year. This is the advice I would give him to his face:

1. Stay out of the limelight. Yea, we get it. You want to be part of the community. You want to fit in. Well, you're here to coach a football team, not jump out of airplanes, or throw out the first pitch. Put that time into next years player analysis, schemes and playbook. (Already he and his brother sat a couple sections away from us at the Bruins game on Friday the 15th) :rolleyes: Remember, every battle is won or lost before it's ever fought.

2. Sit down with Whaley this winter before you draft. Have a good heart to heart. Exchange philosophies. Do whatever it takes, but get on the same page, because if the two of you are at odds with each other, this team isn't going anywhere.

3. Sit down with your staff. Stress discipline amongst them. Make this the number one priority in the off-season. If they don't preach it...the players will not respond. The Bills had 1249 yards in penalties last year. That's 12 times up and down the entire field!!! Set a reasonable goal, say 2/3 that for 2016, and make it a priority!

4. Consult your father. Especially if you get stuck on something. He's forgotten more than you will ever know about the game. Don't be afraid to ask his opinion, simply because he will not sugar coat it.

5. Figure out what you want to be on defense. You're supposed to be the blitz guru. You took over a blitzing defense, and played Walt Corey with them. Gun shy? Just remember you have one of the best corner tandems in the league. Let them do their thing.

6. Special teams. Find a goddamn kicker and save a roster spot. Draft one if you have to.

7. Institute an open door policy. If your players aren't buying into your ideas, you need to know why. Open up a dialogue.

8. Pick three captains and stick with them.

9. Drop the bravado. Yes, you've done some good things in your career, but we all know your overall record....it's average. We know you're human, but you haven't earned the right to brag just yet. Marv used to day, be just as humble in victory as you are in defeat. Show some humility.

10. Be flexible. You have a good core of players, and you earned eight wins last season. You're not that far off. Make adjustments as the game goes on, and listen to the people around you. They want to win just as bad as you.

You don't have a lot of cap room, so there will not be any big splashes in free agency this year. This is the year we will see if you have what it takes, because it is going to take creativity and flexibility to improve on last year.

Good luck.

/end rant

YardRat
01-26-2016, 05:06 AM

With a different coach we were playoff bound this year.

justasportsfan
01-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Sweet what are next week's lottery numbers?

I wish I knew but based on Rexy's track record, he never made it even when his scheme created a #1 D. I'm seeing the very same clueless gameday decisions he made when he was with the jets.

justasportsfan
01-26-2016, 08:03 AM

this years offense and last years defense, we make playoffs.

mightysimi
01-26-2016, 01:44 PM
this years offense and last years defense, we make playoffs.

You could argue this years offence with everyone playing every game and we make the playoffs.

mightysimi
01-26-2016, 02:12 PM

In 14 games? Or does EJ not get to play in this scenario?

justasportsfan
01-26-2016, 02:13 PM
You could argue this years offence with everyone playing every game and we make the playoffs.

maybe and that maybe is due to a slightly lower than average D unit which is supposedly Rex's expertise.

mightysimi
01-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Do you believe that he is lying when he said they tried to marry the two systems but failed? Is this just to cover up the fact that he is a terrible coach?

How many teams in the top 10 on D played their 4th string safety? 25% of the starting D line out for most of the season. Is McKelvin all of a sudden an excellent corner that any scheme would be lucky to have?

I know injuries happen but when you don't have the depth (which we don't) it takes a big toll. I feel like a lot of the anger is because it is Rex and his big mouth. I don't feel there would be this type of anger with a different coach and the same results.

I'm not sold yet but I do want to see if there is any improvement in year 2 because how can you do anything in 1 season? Now excluding Tomlin, Gruden and Dungy because they already went to good teams but how many have a ton of success in year 1? Or how about sustained success after maybe 1 extra good season. There aren't too many out there. Usually it takes time to get the systems nuances and checks down. Maybe he does suck. I just don't think we know yet. Before we talk about NY, understand this is not NY. Different team and different situation. Should people still be looking at Belichek's Cleveland record? Or how about Pete Carrol's time with the Jets?

YardRat
01-26-2016, 03:42 PM
In 14 games? Or does EJ not get to play in this scenario?

Considering only one team (New England) dropped more than 26 on Schwartz's defense last season (compared to 5 for Wrecks' D, including Cincinnati) and the team had the lead late against Jacksonville until Wrecks' D relinquished it again, yes. If you think last season's defense and this season's offense wouldn't have won two more games I can't help you.

pmoon6
01-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Do you believe that he is lying when he said they tried to marry the two systems but failed? Is this just to cover up the fact that he is a terrible coach?

How many teams in the top 10 on D played their 4th string safety? 25% of the starting D line out for most of the season. Is McKelvin all of a sudden an excellent corner that any scheme would be lucky to have?

I know injuries happen but when you don't have the depth (which we don't) it takes a big toll. I feel like a lot of the anger is because it is Rex and his big mouth. I don't feel there would be this type of anger with a different coach and the same results.

I'm not sold yet but I do want to see if there is any improvement in year 2 because how can you do anything in 1 season? Now excluding Tomlin, Gruden and Dungy because they already went to good teams but how many have a ton of success in year 1? Or how about sustained success after maybe 1 extra good season. There aren't too many out there. Usually it takes time to get the systems nuances and checks down. Maybe he does suck. I just don't think we know yet. Before we talk about NY, understand this is not NY. Different team and different situation. Should people still be looking at Belichek's Cleveland record? Or how about Pete Carrol's time with the Jets?Good points except Rex was personally responsible for the KC loss. No excuse for not challenging those plays.

I think most peoples ire was drawn because we had a really good defense that didn't play up to expectations. Had they even played half as good as last years we would have been in the playoffs.

justasportsfan
01-27-2016, 01:25 PM

Safety was not the problem. The DL and Lber group were and they were the same players Schwartz had last year. No way , no how they suddenly get stupid. I'm not sure if whether he tried to marry two systems but whateer it is he tried to do, he DID NOT use the players to their strengths.

Waiting for an improvement in his 2nd year when the team he just left they got better defensively in 1 year. Wade made the D he inherited no.1. Rex dropped from 4 to 19. Thats a significant drop when you had an all PRO DL. Like I've stated before, maybe Rex will get this D better from 19 to 10 in his 2nd and then maybe no.4 if he's still around. Yet we were already at no. 4 when he took over.

mightysimi
01-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Safety was not the problem. The DL and Lber group were and they were the same players Schwartz had last year. No way , no how they suddenly get stupid. I'm not sure if whether he tried to marry two systems but whateer it is he tried to do, he DID NOT use the players to their strengths.

Waiting for an improvement in his 2nd year when the team he just left they got better defensively in 1 year. Wade made the D he inherited no.1. Rex dropped from 4 to 19. Thats a significant drop when you had an all PRO DL. Like I've stated before, maybe Rex will get this D better from 19 to 10 in his 2nd and then maybe no.4 if he's still around. Yet we were already at no. 4 when he took over.

The team he left and now is exactly the same. I know for sure they didn't spend 100M on the secondary. I'm sure they didn't get a top 5 pick for their D line. Any team with that kind of commitment is sure to drop that for sure. Be real man.

justasportsfan
01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
The team he left and now is exactly the same. I know for sure they didn't spend 100M on the secondary. I'm sure they didn't get a top 5 pick for their D line. Any team with that kind of commitment is sure to drop that for sure. Be real man.

Wait what is the same ? The jets last year and this year? Standings and their record from this year and last surely isnt. They're better ,fact!

The bills didn't need 100 million in their secondary, they had millions in their DL. They didn't need a top 5 draft in their DL, they had an all pro DL already. He screwed up that DL.

The team won't drop either when you don't drop 100 m on the secondary or draft top 5. Look at the bills D from Pettine to Schwartz. It improved dramatically. I am being real, I'm stating facts.

mightysimi
01-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Wait what is the same ? The jets last year and this year? Standings and their record from this year and last surely isnt. They're better ,fact!

The bills didn't need 100 million in their secondary, they had millions in their DL. They didn't need a top 5 draft in their DL, they had an all pro DL already. He screwed up that DL.

The team won't drop either when you don't drop 100 m on the secondary or draft top 5. Look at the bills D from Pettine to Schwartz. It improved dramatically. I am being real, I'm stating facts.

all sarcasm. They aren't the same team which is why you can't compare their improvement.

mightysimi
01-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Good points except Rex was personally responsible for the KC loss. No excuse for not challenging those plays.

I think most peoples ire was drawn because we had a really good defense that didn't play up to expectations. Had they even played half as good as last years we would have been in the playoffs.

Right which I can understand. I get being let down by lofty expectations. I think these are all valid reasons to not like Rex. However, saying he ruined everything without taking into account the entire situation is ridiculous to me. Whatever his vision was that he sold to the Pegula's was, I don't think very many coaches can acheive it in one season. That is my point. We need time to see what we have in my opinion.

justasportsfan
01-28-2016, 07:08 PM
all sarcasm. They aren't the same team which is why you can't compare their improvement.

In a way you are right. this year's D was not the same. The line-up was better with Darby . If you want to use the loss of Aaron Williams, then it's a wash talent wise. Yet theRex was a huge drop in ranking. It's the coach and his scheme. Players themselves said they didn't buy into the system even though the very same players bought in to Schwartz's system in 1 season

mightysimi
01-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Mario did the same thing in Houston. In a 3-4 he cries.

justasportsfan
01-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Mario did the same thing in Houston. In a 3-4 he cries.

He didn't do it with Pettine. Besides, It's not only Marrio whose performance went South immensely. Everyone on the front 7 from Bradham to Hughes. These guys don't get stupid in 1 season. The only way you can get these pro bowlers to suck in 1 season is set them up to fail by making them do something they can't do like drop them to cover.

Again, I know Rex can take us to the playoffs. His defensive schemes have proven to be able to but his schemes also were beaten by the offensive mind of Doug Marrone/Hackett which is why I don't think he'll ever take us to the superbowl.

mightysimi
01-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Then it's official. Rex can't coach. Marrone/Hackett also beat the packers. Is McCarthy terrible?

Bradham was hurt a lot, how many reps did his back up get during the install? How many games did we play with our starting safety combo? How many games did we play with our entire D line? The point being is I think those back ups aren't going to have the level of experience in the system. We don't have the type of depth to make up a lot of those things.

As for Mario dropping in coverage? If it disguises another blitz which gets to the QB, what is the problem? However, if he doesn't drop, that seems to be a simple outlet for a qb facing the blitz with potentially no one in front of him but the secondary.

I don't know why guys had down years but you can say what you want about scheme, eventually you have to win a one on one battle and that didn't happen very much if at all. Clearly we aren't going to agree. You think he should go and be replaced by? and I want to see another year so here we are.

justasportsfan
01-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Then it's official. Rex can't coach. Marrone/Hackett also beat the packers. Is McCarthy terrible?

Bradham was hurt a lot, how many reps did his back up get during the install? How many games did we play with our starting safety combo? How many games did we play with our entire D line? The point being is I think those back ups aren't going to have the level of experience in the system. We don't have the type of depth to make up a lot of those things.

As for Mario dropping in coverage? If it disguises another blitz which gets to the QB, what is the problem? However, if he doesn't drop, that seems to be a simple outlet for a qb facing the blitz with potentially no one in front of him but the secondary.

I don't know why guys had down years but you can say what you want about scheme, eventually you have to win a one on one battle and that didn't happen very much if at all. Clearly we aren't going to agree. You think he should go and be replaced by? and I want to see another year so here we are.

He may very well be just like Jauron and all the other people who weren't meant to be head coaches. One things for sure, not even Jauron, Jerry Gray or any other DC the bills ever had, got lit up for the franchise torching that Rex got from Brady.

Jauron didn't even have half the talent Rex had last year.

Bill Cody
01-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Then it's official. Rex can't coach.

Yeah it's pretty official

swiper
01-29-2016, 04:22 PM
He may very well be just like Jauron and all the other people who weren't meant to be head coaches. One things for sure, not even Jauron, Jerry Gray or any other DC the bills ever had, got lit up for the franchise torching that Rex got from Brady.

Rex Ryan is an embarrassment to Buffalo. Bringing in his ******ed brother makes Pegula look like Ralph Wilson's ******ed little brother.

Bills fans went from a bad owner to a worse owner and his trophy wife (who's not much of a trophy).

YardRat
01-29-2016, 04:39 PM

The problem is they didn't get to the QB in 2015, but they did in '14 and '13...with the same players...and in the case of '13, with a very similar scheme.

justasportsfan
01-29-2016, 05:21 PM
The problem is they didn't get to the QB in 2015, but they did in '14 and '13...with the same players...and in the case of '13, with a very similar scheme.
It wasn't close. Pettine's D got to the QB. Dropping Dareus and Mario is like asking Peyton Manning to run the read option.

Schwartz go to the qb rushing 3 to 4 DL. Mario (as a bill),Dareus Hughes Kyle had their best years getting to the qb under Schwartz. Why would you ask them stop doing that and cover? Its plain stupid. They didn't fool Brady and got torched for franchise record.

Mr. Pink
01-29-2016, 05:52 PM

Jauron coaches this years team to the playoffs.

Can we get him back?

It's funny even you Justa are starting to come around on the fact that he overachieved with what he was given to work with. :up:

Mace
01-29-2016, 05:53 PM

Didn't look back in the thread so apologies if someone mentioned it. They haven't had that few sacks since they started playing 16 games, since Jimmy Carter was President, in 1977. That's fewest sacks in 38 years under the Rexmeister.

justasportsfan
01-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Jauron coaches this years team to the playoffs.

Can we get him back?

It's funny even you Justa are starting to come around on the fact that he overachieved with what he was given to work with. :up:

Ha! No . Jauron sucked to with his play not to lose mentality. But at least he didn't yap his mouth like Rexy does.

Mace
01-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Ha! No . Jauron sucked to with his play not to lose mentality. But at least he didn't yap his mouth like Rexy does.

To the other extreme. Was painful trying to watch Jauron try to make sentences. Rex is getting there though.

stuckincincy
01-30-2016, 02:53 PM
To the other extreme. Was painful trying to watch Jauron try to make sentences. Rex is getting there though.

Hank Bullough's post-game comments are unmatched.

Mace
01-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Hank Bullough's post-game comments are unmatched.

Bullough made decisive sentences at least. They were just bizarrely poorly worded.

Jauron would say stuff like "Well, we went in and played our game and they, we.....played the game they played, unfortunately, to get, well, we meant to...do what they didn't....but they did, obviously, and they came out with a win that we....thought their game wasn't our game that we played or we felt it would have turned out differently, but we didn't them, us.

mightysimi
01-30-2016, 08:13 PM
I don't know why there is a constant need to compare to other seasons. I don't remember players calling out other players for not going where they are supposed to go during the Pettine or Schwartz era. Also sacks are great and all but Pettine's D was terrible against the run.

Does Kyle Williams all of sudden suck? Are we so good in terms of other talent and scheme knowledge that a multiple time pro bowler can miss over 2/3's of the season and it not matter? How many snaps did the starting D get together this season? I can think of 1 in the first game before Graham goes down and a handful in game 2 before Aaron gets hurt.

We aren't so good that we can lose a starting member of our D line, LB corps and secondary for over 1/3 a season or more and expect perfection. We aren't so good that we can learn a new system in 1 off season (Pettine's is similar but not the same). And we definitely aren't good enough to make up for free lancing players.

One difference between this year and the last few is guys winning one on one battles. They just didn't do that this year. Schemes are awesome and all but it no scheme has a free runner every play. Eventually guys have to beat the man in front of them. Some of this is on the players too.

Mace
01-30-2016, 08:43 PM
One difference between this year and the last few is guys winning one on one battles. They just didn't do that this year. Schemes are awesome and all but it no scheme has a free runner every play. Eventually guys have to beat the man in front of them. Some of this is on the players too.

Some sure, but be honest, how were pass rushers, Kyle and Dareus supposed to beat their men dropping back into coverage. In the Tennessee game, shadowing the mobile Mariota with Kyle was ridiculous. Dropping Dareus into coverage is ridiculous any time whatever. They can't win one on one battles when they don't have one on one matchups. And don't even get me started on dropping rushing dl's into coverage while rushing coverage db's.

The one difference, the main one, the overriding one, between this year and last year, is Rex Ryan.

pmoon6
01-31-2016, 12:33 AM
Rex Ryan is an embarrassment to Buffalo. Bringing in his ******ed brother makes Pegula look like Ralph Wilson's ******ed little brother.

Bills fans went from a bad owner to a worse owner and his trophy wife (who's not much of a trophy).HaHaHa. I didn't know Bills Fans were "owned" by anyone.

Of course, the doom and gloomers are so impatient for success that they will jump on a first year owner for not turning everything around in....wait for it.....6 months.

Just more proof that a large part of Bills' Nation are tools.

YardRat
01-31-2016, 04:14 AM
I don't know why there is a constant need to compare to other seasons. I don't remember players calling out other players for not going where they are supposed to go during the Pettine or Schwartz era. Also sacks are great and all but Pettine's D was terrible against the run.

Does Kyle Williams all of sudden suck? Are we so good in terms of other talent and scheme knowledge that a multiple time pro bowler can miss over 2/3's of the season and it not matter? How many snaps did the starting D get together this season? I can think of 1 in the first game before Graham goes down and a handful in game 2 before Aaron gets hurt.

We aren't so good that we can lose a starting member of our D line, LB corps and secondary for over 1/3 a season or more and expect perfection. We aren't so good that we can learn a new system in 1 off season (Pettine's is similar but not the same). And we definitely aren't good enough to make up for free lancing players.

There are injuries every year, and the same players apparently didn't have any problems learning Schwart's scheme in a single season.

HaHaHa. I didn't know Bills Fans were "owned" by anyone.

Of course, the doom and gloomers are so impatient for success that they will jump on a first year owner for not turning everything around in....wait for it.....6 months.

That's a bigger part of the issue, though, moonie. Everything didn't have to be turned around in 6 months...just the offense, and that could've been done with three or four moves. I don't think keeping what was built (defense, special teams, and their staffs) and adding a QB, a couple of olinemen and a new offensive coordinator is too much to ask for, or too much to handle in a single offseason.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-31-2016, 09:01 AM
HaHaHa. I didn't know Bills Fans were "owned" by anyone.

the thing is, young fans (like myself) love the Bills immensely and are tired of sucking. I was an 18 year old freshman in college when i saw the music city bulls****. Now i'm 34 and bald with a real job and a wife. it's just tiring and frustrating.

i missed the 70s (thank God) so I know I lack some perspective but still this is frustrating and annoying

There wasn't much to do this offseason. Just make an unbearable offense bearable (and this was done) and not f up the defense. (oops)

pmoon6
01-31-2016, 12:08 PM
the thing is, young fans (like myself) love the Bills immensely and are tired of sucking. I was an 18 year old freshman in college when i saw the music city bulls****. Now i'm 34 and bald with a real job and a wife. it's just tiring and frustrating.

i missed the 70s (thank God) so I know I lack some perspective but still this is frustrating and annoying

There wasn't much to do this offseason. Just make an unbearable offense bearable (and this was done) and not f up the defense. (oops)The seventies were OK. Watching Simpson was a treat in and of itself.

pmoon6
01-31-2016, 12:15 PM
There are injuries every year, and the same players apparently didn't have any problems learning Schwart's scheme in a single season.

That's a bigger part of the issue, though, moonie. Everything didn't have to be turned around in 6 months...just the offense, and that could've been done with three or four moves. I don't think keeping what was built (defense, special teams, and their staffs) and adding a QB, a couple of olinemen and a new offensive coordinator is too much to ask for, or too much to handle in a single offseason.And the owner is to blame for what? Hiring Rex Ryan and not hiring Schwartz? How do you know that Schwartz would have had the same success with the offense? Would Roman have come here under him? Too many intangibles to play the woulda, coulda, shoulda, game.

The thing is the results weren't what we hoped. You can't say any different changes that could have been made would have resulted in a playoff team....unless you can see the future.

YardRat
01-31-2016, 12:17 PM
And the owner is to blame for what? Hiring Rex Ryan and not hiring Schwartz? How do you know that Schwartz would have had the same success with the offense? Would Roman have come here under him? Too many intangibles to play the woulda, coulda, shoulda, game.

The thing is the results weren't what we hoped. You can't say any different changes that could have been made would have resulted in a playoff team....unless you can see the future.

True, but I like the odds a lot better of getting improvement from what was already built, as opposed to bringing in a moron to change everything.

Mouldsie
01-31-2016, 12:22 PM
Didn't look back in the thread so apologies if someone mentioned it. They haven't had that few sacks since they started playing 16 games, since Jimmy Carter was President, in 1977. That's fewest sacks in 38 years under the Rexmeister.

Embarrassing

CommissarSpartacus
02-01-2016, 04:29 AM
And the owner is to blame for what? Hiring Rex Ryan and not hiring Schwartz?

It was Pegula's decision and IMO illustrated his ignorance of the Bills history and the state of the game today.

I'm a firm believer that you promote successful people, and especially people that have been successful FOR YOU.

Rex Ryan has NEVER done a single thing for the Bills and his history with the Jets was one of increasing failure from year to year.

Jim Schwart2 had a spectacularly impressive debut with the Bills defense.

Any successful organi2ation worth it's salt rewards success, not bull****.

sdbillsfan2
02-01-2016, 05:19 AM
You hear OBD throw out the word consistency alot. If they were so concerned about consistency , why drop a defensive scheme that had proven to be effective . It worked and the personnel needed were already in place. IMO rhe Ryan hire was all hype by a new owner an unproven GM grabbing for straws.

YardRat
02-01-2016, 12:36 PM
You hear OBD throw out the word consistency alot. If they were so concerned about consistency , why drop a defensive scheme that had proven to be effective . It worked and the personnel needed were already in place. IMO rhe Ryan hire was all hype by a new owner an unproven GM grabbing for straws.

That deserves a cookie...

http://cookandbemerry.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Peanut-Butter-Cookies-1.jpg

mightysimi
02-01-2016, 07:42 PM

You guys act like it is common place for a new coach to come in and keep all the staff and everything the same.

YardRat
02-02-2016, 05:08 AM
It is unusual for a head coach with a dominant defense and solid st's to bail after posting a 9-7 record. Other teams have won SB's after ditching a HC and keeping intact what they already have built.

justasportsfan
02-02-2016, 07:14 AM
You guys act like it is common place for a new coach to come in and keep all the staff and everything the same.

It's not unusual to bring in a defensive coach and improve on the defense that's already in place. See Broncos, JETS

mightysimi
02-02-2016, 09:08 AM
It's not unusual to bring in a defensive coach and improve on the defense that's already in place. See Broncos, JETS

Happens all the time?

justasportsfan
02-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Happens all the time?

Not all the time but when your D drops that far off then most likely, we hired the wrong guy to be a head coach if he can't even improve on what is supposed to be his strength.

Kinda like Mularkey , Jauron, Marrone. Now Rex. If you tell me to wait , I will. But for NOW let's lean on the FACTS. He destroyed the D.

Victor7
02-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Not all the time but when your D drops that far off then most likely, we hired the wrong guy to be a head coach if he can't even improve on what is supposed to be his strength.

Kinda like Mularkey , Jauron, Marrone. Now Rex. If you tell me to wait , I will. But for NOW let's lean on the FACTS. He destroyed the D.

Exactly

I mean if we had dropped from 4 overall to say 8 or 10 and still showed flashes I could live with that and chuck it up to Rex making his adjustments. But the drop was huge, inexplicable and right down depressing. It kept us from the post season. Inexcusable.

Mace
02-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Rex came out and called himself a flexible innovator (comparing himself to the greats) and flat out lied about trying to merge the two types of defense (which people inexplicably accepted despite seeing he sure didn't) besides in the very vaguest sense (ok, I will let the linemen alone rush....while they are dropping into coverage).

Seriously, how could they be all over Brady in that second New England game, and not be all over the young QB's they faced ? If they flustered Brady like that, Cousins, Bortles, Bradford and Eli Manning were that much better than Brady ?

Nah, it was Rex not having a clue but getting serious for a game at least.

Mouldsie
06-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Embarrassing

BTW this franchise still fits that bill

Mouldsie
06-08-2016, 09:43 PM
It is unusual for a head coach with a dominant defense and solid st's to bail after posting a 9-7 record. Other teams have won SB's after ditching a HC and keeping intact what they already have built.
I'm trying to think. Did anyone do that last year? Something about John Elway? He knows football a little bit right? Nah, Brandon & the Pegula's knew better!