PDA

View Full Version : Bills hire Ed Reed

DetDannyWilliams
01-13-2016, 06:25 PM
The Bills have hired long-time NFL safety, Ed Reed as an assistant defensive backs coach.

Powered by BataviaBets.com.
Msg&dataratesmayapply-STOP2cxl

Night Train
01-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Future lock for Canton. The players will listen to him.

Mahdi
01-13-2016, 06:39 PM
No sarcastic remarks about this hire?

I like what Bills are doing so far this offseason.

Turf
01-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Maybe he can teach the CB's to turn around when the balls in the air, and that the WR's on 3rd and 7 will run approximately 7-8 yards down field and stop. Imagine THAT. Yeah..... that's some serious **** there.....

ParanoidAndroid
01-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Hell. Put him on the field. He's probably still got more game than Duke freaking Williams.

DynaPaul
01-13-2016, 07:47 PM
I love it, who's gonna argue with him as a coach? The man has done it all.

Mace
01-13-2016, 09:14 PM
I love it, who's gonna argue with him as a coach? The man has done it all.

I will. Hire Jim Leonhard, teaching Ryan defenses for years as a player. Don't particularly remember Reed being known as a fount of training and guidance or patience, kind of remember him as impatient and selfish.

Like what makes Ed Reed a coach besides Rex Ryan ?

Mr. Pink
01-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Another useless hire that would have never happened if Rex wasn't coach.

How can anyone excited about a guy who's never been a coach in high school or college, let alone the NFL? He did coach some flag football for 4 and 7 year olds though!

WHAT A RESUME!!!!!!! Give him a spot on an NFL coaching staff!

Crisis
01-13-2016, 11:27 PM

How can anyone excited about a guy who's never been a coach in high school or college, let alone the NFL? He did coach some flag football for 4 and 7 year olds though!

People are excited because maybe the best FS of all time is an assistant coach on the defense? Is he really under qualified to be an ASSISTANT defensive back coach?

I mean, completely ignore the fact that he's never coached before because he was playing the game at literally the highest level. This isn't some random guy off the street with no coaching experience. He has to start somewhere. Joey Porter has a job on the Steelers staff, I wonder how many Steeler fans *****ed about that?

The people *****ing already are hilarious. Like you guys could name one assistant positional coach on this team before the hire.

Oaf
01-14-2016, 01:07 AM
Hell. Put him on the field. He's probably still got more game than Duke freaking Williams.

I would put him in a game over Duke Williams with no hesitation.

Ed Reed played and can attest to Ryan's "system" too.

YardRat
01-14-2016, 03:39 AM
I agree with Mace. Leonhard would have been a better hire. But, Reed is the bigger name. If HOF cred really mattered, as opposed to just spreading Pegula's wealth amongst the buddies, Andre Reed would have been a full time hire instead of a token training camp gopher position.

Night Train
01-14-2016, 06:12 AM
A secondary full of black players will listen more to a future black HOF in Ed Reed over Rudy Leonard 10 out of 10 times. Welcome to reality.

Joe Fo Sho
01-14-2016, 06:31 AM
Wasn't there a player (LB?) on our team that said that half the time they didn't understand the play call or the system or something? That at the time of the snap they were kind of looking around like they weren't sure what to do?

If that were the case, the problem directly lies on the coaches. They clearly either didn't explain the system or didn't explain it well enough for the players to understand. Maybe they recognized that as a problem and hired 2 guys who know Rex's defense as well as anybody to help out...his friggin' brother and a HOF safety who had some pretty solid seasons in Rex's system.

Anyone who was upset at the locker room leadership that went out the door with Fred Jackson should be happy with this hire.

SpikedLemonade
01-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Just another example of Rex Ryan once again relying on his past success of 15 years ago rather than evolving as a coach.

Rex has not had an original thought in terms of defensive strategy in over a decade.

All mouth and no brain.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Well you can say this much - Rex is all in on his defense system; no more compromises because we had success under a different system before. He's getting coaches who came from the same coaching tree. He's getting former players who know the intricacies of his system. So now every practice, every drill, every film room study is operated under the same concept, same approached required by his system.

Next, and the more difficult part, would be having the ideal players for his system. And this could take a couple years. Right now, no quality OLB on Bills roster who can do both coverage and pass rush that is perfect fit for his system (Lawson is the closest to that role, Mario is a misfit, Hughes - in my opinion - would be the X factor in Rex's defense who in 2015 showed effectiveness when asked to rush the passer from any of the front 7 positions).

SpikedLemonade
01-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Great!! What if Rex's outdated system has been bypassed by evolving offenses over the past decade?

Buffalogic
01-14-2016, 08:11 AM
I like it. Not sure why people have to complain about an assistant db coach who was a HoF in this system.

Topas
01-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Just another example of Rex Ryan once again relying on his past success of 15 years ago rather than evolving as a coach.

Rex has not had an original thought in terms of defensive strategy in over a decade.

All mouth and no brain.

I was wondering what would be your schtick, when you cannot talk about the probability of the Bills moving in every second post.
I see you found something other that you can refer to in every second post. So you are fine as long as Rex is the coach. Only after that you have to search about something else. Kudos.

sukie
01-14-2016, 08:31 AM
I like it. Not sure why people have to complain about an assistant db coach who was a HoF in this system.

HOF doesn't translate to coach automatically. Great players can play. It's the "Meh" ones that seem to be able to coach.

justasportsfan
01-14-2016, 09:13 AM
No sarcastic remarks about this hire?

I like what Bills are doing so far this offseason.

You like that they got rid of the best assistant coach (Henderson) and used nepotism and brought in Rex's brother and demoted the DC Dennis Thurman to coach the db's and yet had to hire Ed Reed who has no coaching experience in case Thurman fails there too?

Yo must hate the bills.

Joe Fo Sho
01-14-2016, 09:24 AM

Can you name another Assistant Defensive Backs Coach in the NFL right now? Without looking it up?

This is not a significant hire, for corn's sake it's an assistant position coach. Who would you have liked to hire to assist our DB Coach? Schwartz?

Mr. Pink
01-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Can you name another Assistant Defensive Backs Coach in the NFL right now? Without looking it up?

This is not a significant hire, for corn's sake it's an assistant position coach. Who would you have liked to hire to assist our DB Coach? Schwartz?

In a way you are right, however when you're hiring guys with no experience at all in coaching that you only hire because it's your buddy it doesn't look good. Especially when a few days prior to it, you hired your freakin brother.

Mahdi
01-14-2016, 09:50 AM
You like that they got rid of the best assistant coach (Henderson) and used nepotism and brought in Rex's brother and demoted the DC Dennis Thurman to coach the db's and yet had to hire Ed Reed who has no coaching experience in case Thurman fails there too?

Yo must hate the bills.

I was actually annoyed that Donnie Henderson was let go.

That being said I think the right thing is for Rex to get good teachers in here who understand what defense he is putting in place. He needs continuity and harmony in the coaching and Rob knows what is required, so does Thurman, and Reed provides a recent playing example of what to look for in this defense.

Rex is creating a framework of knowledge that all stem from the same scheme with the same principles. For me its the best way to find success.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-14-2016, 10:54 AM
The minute the Pegulas hired Rex Ryan, the die is cast. notice I said Pegulas, not Russ, not Whaley. So pretty much the owner made the decision here.

Joe Fo Sho
01-14-2016, 10:56 AM
In a way you are right, however when you're hiring guys with no experience at all in coaching that you only hire because it's your buddy it doesn't look good. Especially when a few days prior to it, you hired your freakin brother.

I don't know, maybe.

I can't imagine our players not looking forward to playing for Ed Reed and learning from him. Hell, they probably just want to meet the guy. There was clearly a number of players that did not like the scheme and were very vocal about it. Who better to try and explain/convince them to buy in? A future HOF safety who is well respected is a good place to start, and if you can hire him as an assistant to an assistant...even better.

Like I said, this is not a significant hire in terms of his actual position but hey, you never know how the players will react. I think this hire was a no brainer, as I assume the 2 options were to hire Ed Reed or leave the DB coach without an assistant. I'll take Ed Reed on my side all day.

justasportsfan
01-14-2016, 11:13 AM
I was actually annoyed that Donnie Henderson was let go. so how can you say you like what they've done so far?

That being said I think the right thing is for Rex to get good teachers in here who understand what defense he is putting in place. He needs continuity and harmony in the coaching and Rob knows what is required, so does Thurman, and Reed provides a recent playing example of what to look for in this defense. what have they done to prove that they are good teachers? Rob Ryan was fired (with a not so good success history) and Reed has 0 experience.How does that prove they are good teachers?

Rex is creating a framework of knowledge that all stem from the same scheme with the same principles. For me its the best way to find success. Rex had his 'yes man Thurman ' for years beside him running his scheme and that didn't turn out so well for our all pro D last year, did it? Adding Rob is going to magically fix it?

This reeks of nepotism/cronyism and if you like it then so be it.

Until proven otherwise it's a family CIRCUS!

Mahdi
01-14-2016, 11:54 AM
so how can you say you like what they've done so far?

what have they done to prove that they are good teachers? Rob Ryan was fired (with a not so good success history) and Reed has 0 experience.How does that prove they are good teachers?

Rex had his 'yes man Thurman ' for years beside him running his scheme and that didn't turn out so well for our all pro D last year, did it? Adding Rob is going to magically fix it?

This reeks of nepotism/cronyism and if you like it then so be it.

Until proven otherwise it's a family CIRCUS!

I was annoyed because I thought Henderson did a good job in terms of developing the secondary talent. But at the same time the secondary gave up a lot of big plays and looked confused a lot of the time. So he does have to take heat for his unit not understanding the defense.

As for Rob and Ed...

Rob is obviously a student of the system so he should be able to teach it. His lack of success is obviously not encouraging but look at his personnel over the years. Oak, Cle, NO and Dal.

And he did do well when the Saints actually had some talent on D. In Dallas he had some good rushers but no secondary. So hard to blame him for a lot of those poor stats.

Ed Reed just commands respect and will be a good teacher in terms of keeping the players focused because he was a major part of a very tough and disciplined unit. He lead that defense with Lewis and knows what it takes functionally and mentally and in terms of leadership. When it comes to teaching the techniques he is clearly unproven but we have enough guys with that experience.

Dozerdog
01-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Reed is well respected by coaches and players because of his incredible prep and film study. If he can pass that along it's a good hire. All coaches got to start somewhere

EDS
01-14-2016, 12:48 PM
People are excited because maybe the best FS of all time is an assistant coach on the defense? Is he really under qualified to be an ASSISTANT defensive back coach?

I mean, completely ignore the fact that he's never coached before because he was playing the game at literally the highest level. This isn't some random guy off the street with no coaching experience. He has to start somewhere. Joey Porter has a job on the Steelers staff, I wonder how many Steeler fans *****ed about that?

The people *****ing already are hilarious. Like you guys could name one assistant positional coach on this team before the hire.

Porter did a year as a college coach before taking a job with the Steelers as a defensive assistant. He then was promoted to linebacker coach the following year.

EDS
01-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Reed is well respected by coaches and players because of his incredible prep and film study. If he can pass that along it's a good hire. All coaches got to start somewhere

You sure about that? No doubt he is well respected but it is because of his incredible vision, instincts, athletic ability and results. He is well known for skipping mantatory practices and freelancing throughout his career to the point where even his coaches did not know what he would do on each play. Obviously his results show his freelancing did far more good than harm, but it is hard to teach instincts to players. Systems and positioning can be taught.

Woodman
01-14-2016, 03:50 PM
More aggressive style .... love the hire.

Mace
01-14-2016, 04:22 PM
I don't know, maybe.

I can't imagine our players not looking forward to playing for Ed Reed and learning from him. Hell, they probably just want to meet the guy. There was clearly a number of players that did not like the scheme and were very vocal about it. Who better to try and explain/convince them to buy in? A future HOF safety who is well respected is a good place to start, and if you can hire him as an assistant to an assistant...even better.

Like I said, this is not a significant hire in terms of his actual position but hey, you never know how the players will react. I think this hire was a no brainer, as I assume the 2 options were to hire Ed Reed or leave the DB coach without an assistant. I'll take Ed Reed on my side all day.

Everyone loves Ed Reed the player, heck, even me too, not sure how that affects anything though.

I never buy into the "commands respect" thing though, presence of a living legend and all that. Look at Mike Singletary in coaching. The unemployed (in coaching) Mike Singletary, living legend. Through the years they've brought guys in with rings, in diff sports, players, coaches, who will "command respect" and elevate those around them. Nothing much ever happens with it.

I don't buy into "a celebrity assistant position coach is better than none" either, or they may as well hire Paul McCartney since coaches don't count against the cap.

It's all about whether the guy brings any improvement to the table. I dunno, maybe he does, we'll see and no helping it. Maybe he'll be a useful intern.

But the trend I think I'm seeing is motivators and Ryan relics....where Rex himself is all about the psych. So um, psych them up more. Ok.

I'd rather have teachers and adaptive x's & o's guys that can think outside the box. That's probably stupid though because we just made ourselves such a shiny box to stay in.

Thurmal
01-14-2016, 04:23 PM
This is a GREAT hire. Not only is he probably the most instinctive ballhawk DB in the last 25 years, but he is only a year or so removed from playing. He is familiar with current offenses and is even privy to certain coaches/players tendencies. Belichick called him the smartest player he ever coached against.

sudzy
01-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Hall of fame player. Does that mean he can coach? I remember, Richie Kotite asked Reggie White to work with the young Dlineman in Eagles training camp. He struggled to coach them. His pass rush moves came so natural to him that he never put much thought into them. Your best coaches tend to be less talented players that had to compete with hard work and technique.

Mace
01-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Hall of fame player. Does that mean he can coach? I remember, Richie Kotite asked Reggie White to work with the young Dlineman in Eagles training camp. He struggled to coach them. His pass rush moves came so natural to him that he never put much thought into them. Your best coaches tend to be less talented players that had to compete with hard work and technique.

Like Jim Leonhard.

justasportsfan
01-14-2016, 05:35 PM
I was annoyed because I thought Henderson did a good job in terms of developing the secondary talent. But at the same time the secondary gave up a lot of big plays and looked confused a lot of the time. So he does have to take heat for his unit not understanding the defense.

As for Rob and Ed...

Rob is obviously a student of the system so he should be able to teach it. His lack of success is obviously not encouraging but look at his personnel over the years. Oak, Cle, NO and Dal.

And he did do well when the Saints actually had some talent on D. In Dallas he had some good rushers but no secondary. So hard to blame him for a lot of those poor stats.

Ed Reed just commands respect and will be a good teacher in terms of keeping the players focused because he was a major part of a very tough and disciplined unit. He lead that defense with Lewis and knows what it takes functionally and mentally and in terms of leadership. When it comes to teaching the techniques he is clearly unproven but we have enough guys with that experience.

You're making assumptions that Rob should be able to teach it because as far as his history goes, his record sucks as a DC. This teacher hasn't produced anything which tells me either his students weren't listening or couldn't get what he was teaching.

Ed Reed commanded respect as a player. No one knows what he commands as a coach. There is nothing to back your statement so you're making another assumption.

YardRat
01-14-2016, 05:57 PM
Anyone who was upset at the locker room leadership that went out the door with Fred Jackson should be happy with this hire.

Leadership on reputation will last so long, and that's not very. Locker room leadership needs to be earned.

Mace
01-14-2016, 06:01 PM
I'm just worried B will disagree with me, I saw what he did to BillsImp in the other thread and I'm not hitching up my pants to face him when he's on a roll.

YardRat
01-14-2016, 06:07 PM

It may not be significant in terms of the position, but it certainly is another significant example of Wrecks' priorities being ****ed up...Obviously he's more interested in nepotism than winning.

Anybody that thinks him bringing in almost his entire clown car from NY, and adding to that his brother and a former player, is an effort to surround yourself with the best possible 'team' to help the organization succeed is just kidding themselves.

BertSquirtgum
01-15-2016, 12:28 AM
How can anyone be against this hire? He's definitely going to help teach this young kids how to play Cb in the NFL. Get a grip.

YardRat
01-15-2016, 05:47 AM
How can anyone be against this hire? He's definitely going to help teach this young kids how to play Cb in the NFL. Get a grip.

Considering Reed never played CB, your own comment should answer your question.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-15-2016, 06:03 AM
Henderson is great at teaching CB techniques. Not so much as coordinating coverage schemes. That's why he was stuck on secondary coach most of his career.

I don't know about Thurman, but he may fall into the same category.

Rob Ryan started out as the secondary coach for the Cardinals under his father; later hired by Belichick as linebacker coach; since then he's been DC in NFL.

You can see he's primarily a 3-4 defense background, but unlike his twin brother (who's more known for D line coach in his early days), Rob started his career from the backend of defense. You gotta say people in NFL looked at him as more than a position coach, but does not quite excel at DC position to have a shot at any higher level. His current position with Bills reflects exactly that - not quite the DC, but better than a position coach. Looks like his primary responsibility would be at LB corp as he focuses on run defense.

I'm a bit surprised with Ed Reed hiring. For one, Reed is a recent star player and he does not need to work for money. The kind of hours and demand for an NFL coach turned many former players away if they made enough money in their career. For two, guys without coaching experience usually goes through NFL coaching internship but the Bills give him the assistant DB coach position right away. I can't imagine they have him teaching positional skills or helping coverage coordination right away. The only logical way they use him would be on safeties and especially the mental aspect of safety position in Ryan's defense. Reed was best known for studying film to memorize opposing teams' tendencies, as well as his ability to lure quarterbacks into throwing interceptions. I don't believe all of his playing traits can be taught, especially luring QBs throwing INTs - they are instincts HOF players born with. But he can certainly help our safeties studying films and analyzing tendencies. I always believe HOF players have unique instincts or physical abilities they are born with but they also work as hard - usually harder than - anyone else. If Reed can attain his work ethics like in his playing days, the Bills may have something there.

Joe Fo Sho
01-15-2016, 07:17 AM
Everyone loves Ed Reed the player, heck, even me too, not sure how that affects anything though.

I never buy into the "commands respect" thing though, presence of a living legend and all that. Look at Mike Singletary in coaching. The unemployed (in coaching) Mike Singletary, living legend. Through the years they've brought guys in with rings, in diff sports, players, coaches, who will "command respect" and elevate those around them. Nothing much ever happens with it.

I don't buy into "a celebrity assistant position coach is better than none" either, or they may as well hire Paul McCartney since coaches don't count against the cap.

It's all about whether the guy brings any improvement to the table. I dunno, maybe he does, we'll see and no helping it. Maybe he'll be a useful intern.

But the trend I think I'm seeing is motivators and Ryan relics....where Rex himself is all about the psych. So um, psych them up more. Ok.

I'd rather have teachers and adaptive x's & o's guys that can think outside the box. That's probably stupid though because we just made ourselves such a shiny box to stay in.

I just think that an Assistant DB Coach who even Belichick once called the 'best safety to ever play the game' will be able to bring something to the table. I don't see any risk to this hire.

As far as thinking outside of the box, Rex's defense is one of the most unique in the NFL right now. He definitely thinks outside of the box, he probably thinks too far outside of the box. That's the problem.

Joe Fo Sho
01-15-2016, 07:20 AM
It may not be significant in terms of the position, but it certainly is another significant example of Wrecks' priorities being ****ed up...Obviously he's more interested in nepotism than winning.

Anybody that thinks him bringing in almost his entire clown car from NY, and adding to that his brother and a former player, is an effort to surround yourself with the best possible 'team' to help the organization succeed is just kidding themselves.

What do you think the risk is with hiring Ed Reed as an Assistant DB Coach?

Joe Fo Sho
01-15-2016, 07:22 AM
Leadership on reputation will last so long, and that's not very. Locker room leadership needs to be earned.

Very true.

Ed Reed was able to earn a leadership role on a defense that was led by Ray Lewis. That tells me that he at least knows how to earn someone's trust.

YardRat
01-15-2016, 07:54 AM
What do you think the risk is with hiring Ed Reed as an Assistant DB Coach?

Letting go of a really good DB coach already on the staff to make room for him.

Who would you rather have coaching DB's...Henderson or Reed?

Buffalogic
01-15-2016, 08:08 AM

Who would you rather have coaching DB's...Henderson or Reed?Who said it came down to that though? That's a leap saying it was Reed or Henderson. Reed could have been added as an assistant regardless of who the primary db coach was.

Joe Fo Sho
01-15-2016, 08:09 AM

Who would you rather have coaching DB's...Henderson or Reed?

I guess I see the two moves as mutually exclusive. Ed Reed didn't take Henderson's job.

I take it you we're pleased with our pass defense this year?

YardRat
01-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Who said it came down to that though? That's a leap saying it was Reed or Henderson. Reed could have been added as an assistant regardless of who the primary db coach was.

But he wasn't.

I guess I see the two moves as mutually exclusive. Ed Reed didn't take Henderson's job.

I take it you we're pleased with our pass defense this year?

I'm not pleased with any aspect of the defense this season, but was pretty happy with it the year before. It's obvious the issue this season was scheme, and implementation of that scheme...blatantly obvious. That's on Wrecks, not the players or Henderson.

Joe Fo Sho
01-15-2016, 08:52 AM
But he wasn't.

I'm not pleased with any aspect of the defense this season, but was pretty happy with it the year before. It's obvious the issue this season was scheme, and implementation of that scheme...blatantly obvious. That's on Wrecks, not the players or Henderson.

Well if that were the case (and no one is saying it's not), then who cares who the DB or Assistant DB Coach is? Why would we want to keep Henderson knowing that his secondary is sub par when running Rex's scheme? Rex obviously isn't changing his scheme, if anything he's doubled down on it. So we know our secondary is bad with Rex/Henderson, why not try our secondary under Rex/Thurman/Reed?

YardRat
01-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Well if that were the case (and no one is saying it's not), then who cares who the DB or Assistant DB Coach is? Why would we want to keep Henderson knowing that his secondary is sub par when running Rex's scheme? Rex obviously isn't changing his scheme, if anything he's doubled down on it. So we know our secondary is bad with Rex/Henderson, why not try our secondary under Rex/Thurman/Reed?

They certainly weren't a weakness when Henderson was coaching DB's for the very similar scheme that Pettine ran in 2013. We're going to have to 'try' the new set-uyp, it's not like we have a voice in the matter. I'm certainly not expecting much, results-wise, especially replacing a seasoned veteran coach with a decent resume with a HOF player that's just beginning the road to earning his chops on the sideline.

Joe Fo Sho
01-15-2016, 09:16 AM
They certainly weren't a weakness when Henderson was coaching DB's for the very similar scheme that Pettine ran in 2013. We're going to have to 'try' the new set-uyp, it's not like we have a voice in the matter. I'm certainly not expecting much, results-wise, especially replacing a seasoned veteran coach with a decent resume with a HOF player that's just beginning the road to earning his chops on the sideline.

Ed Reed is not replacing Donnie Henderson.

BertSquirtgum
01-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Considering Reed never played CB, your own comment should answer your question.

Get a grip

BuffaloRedleg
01-15-2016, 10:13 PM

Lame comments like this make regular attendance at this website impossible, if I want to keep my sanity.

swiper
01-16-2016, 04:08 AM
I'm quite certain that comment was made tongue in cheek, as 90% of comments are at times.

pmoon6
01-16-2016, 07:28 AM

WHAT A RESUME!!!!!!! Give him a spot on an NFL coaching staff!If you played the position, especially at the level Reed did, you can coach it.

mysticsoto
01-18-2016, 06:45 AM

While this is certainly true, the dline played phenomenal under Pettine. The secondary always looks great when a qb doesn't have time or is rushed to throw.

I'm not saying there was a problem there already or that a change definitely needed to be made. Personally, I would have rathered we kept Pettine's system and promoted him to head coach here - to keep him. But, like it or not, we have Rex now, and if Henderson's form/style isn't going to work under Rex, we need to find another's who will. I'm hoping Rex can fix the defense b'cse we have too much talent to waste. Now that we have a decent QB, if our defense can step it up, we might actually go somewhere...

Mr. Pink
01-18-2016, 10:59 AM
If you played the position, especially at the level Reed did, you can coach it.

Oh is that the way it works?

Bart Starr was a great coach wasn't he? How about Mike Singletary? Norm Van Brocklin?

Why aren't Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, Dan Marino coaches?

Just because you have success on the field, it doesn't mean you'll have success from the sidelines.

Joe Fo Sho
01-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Oh is that the way it works?

Bart Starr was a great coach wasn't he? How about Mike Singletary? Norm Van Brocklin?

Why aren't Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, Dan Marino coaches?

Just because you have success on the field, it doesn't mean you'll have success from the sidelines.

I think Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, and Dan Marino would make fantastic Assistant QB Coaches, don't you?

Mr. Pink
01-18-2016, 12:29 PM
I think Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, and Dan Marino would make fantastic Assistant QB Coaches, don't you?

I'd say the odds are good they'd be more likely to fail than succeed.

YardRat
01-18-2016, 12:31 PM
While this is certainly true, the dline played phenomenal under Pettine. The secondary always looks great when a qb doesn't have time or is rushed to throw.

I'm not saying there was a problem there already or that a change definitely needed to be made. Personally, I would have rathered we kept Pettine's system and promoted him to head coach here - to keep him. But, like it or not, we have Rex now, and if Henderson's form/style isn't going to work under Rex, we need to find another's who will. I'm hoping Rex can fix the defense b'cse we have too much talent to waste. Now that we have a decent QB, if our defense can step it up, we might actually go somewhere...

Pettine's system is Wrecks' system, dumbed down and simplified a bit. I wouldn't agree the dline was dominant under Pettine, considering how much they were gashed by RB's (that D was completely weak up the middle, starting with Kyle thru Alonso and back to Byrd), but Mario and Hughes (a back-up to Lawson under Pettine, btw) had better seasons as OLB's because they were asked to do a little bit less...not as many checks, reads, etc.

Joe Fo Sho
01-18-2016, 12:43 PM
I'd say the odds are good they'd be more likely to fail than succeed.

I guess I don't know where the bar is set when it comes to the success/failure of assistant positional coaches.

Mr. Pink
01-18-2016, 01:29 PM
I guess I don't know where the bar is set when it comes to the success/failure of assistant positional coaches.

I honestly can't think of a guy who was a top tier player on the field that ended up being successful in the coaching ranks.

Obviously Ron Rivera has done well in Carolina but he wasn't a star as a player, he was on that 85 Bears team.

If someone can come up with a guy who was a stud on the field that had success in the coaching ranks, I'd be glad to hear it.

Joe Fo Sho
01-18-2016, 01:45 PM
I honestly can't think of a guy who was a top tier player on the field that ended up being successful in the coaching ranks.

Obviously Ron Rivera has done well in Carolina but he wasn't a star as a player, he was on that 85 Bears team.

If someone can come up with a guy who was a stud on the field that had success in the coaching ranks, I'd be glad to hear it.

Mike Ditka was a 5 time All-Pro Tight End and 2 time AP Coach of the Year.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-19-2016, 09:06 AM

How are you defining top tier player and success for a position coach? Dan Reeves was an all-pro running back, though not nearly HOF caliber like Reed was at his position. Mike Singletary had success as a position coach but was overpromoted as a head coach. If you open it up to college, Steve Spurrier was a Heisman winning QB and a National Champ as coach.

Joe Fo Sho
01-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Dick Lebeau is a 3-time Pro Bowl defensive back with 62 career interceptions.

Night Train
01-19-2016, 09:30 AM

Don Shula was a pretty good DB with Cleveland and Baltimore. Had 21 INT's.
George Halas was once MVP of the Rose Bowl and a HOF 2 way player with Chicago in the early days of football.
Tom Landry had 32 INT's for the Giants, returning 5 for TD's.
Mike Ditka was a star TE and in the HOF for his playing days.
Lou Saban was once team captain of the Cleveland Browns and a star LB.

Woodman
01-19-2016, 01:58 PM
Hire as many winners as possible ..... it does rub off.

feldspar
01-22-2016, 08:30 PM
I don't know of it was posted here or not already, but this hire came about because Rex Ryan cold-called Ed Reed at home. Reed was not actively seeking out a coaching position, as far as the story goes from the horse's mouth.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2016/01/21/how-ed-reed-decided-to-coach-with-the-bills/

There is also a video of Reed telling the story on the official Bills site, too.

BertSquirtgum
01-22-2016, 10:45 PM
So is ed Reed the db coach or the assistant db coach?

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-23-2016, 06:27 AM
So is ed Reed the db coach or the assistant db coach?

Im pretty sure assistant. Which also means I don't know what the fuss is about?!?! People who are *****ing about this just to be a holes in my opinion.

Night Train
01-23-2016, 06:44 AM
I saw Ed Reed on NFLN 2 nights ago. I admit I've never heard the guy speak before.

This guy is very bright and well spoken. I can't see how this hire could possibly be a negative. All of todays players know who he is. He'll be received well.

YardRat
01-23-2016, 01:29 PM
I don't know of it was posted here or not already, but this hire came about because Rex Ryan cold-called Ed Reed at home. Reed was not actively seeking out a coaching position, as far as the story goes from the horse's mouth.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2016/01/21/how-ed-reed-decided-to-coach-with-the-bills/

There is also a video of Reed telling the story on the official Bills site, too.

"Dude, I'm telling you...my owner literally has a boatload of money, and I can shovel some your way."

Mace
01-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Ryan is now saying, of course, Reed will be a head coach in 5-6 years, though all he's ever done is run a football camp, and we all know how it's not hard to be an HC in Ryanworld. Like with the female assistant hire, I just don't in the least trust Ryan to do anything well from within his version of reality.

This is the same as anything else, I'll be happy to be wrong but doubt I will be. I find it way more likely that Reed will succeed down the road on his next staff under a better HC, if he does.