PDA

View Full Version : What Do The Colts, New Orleans Saints, and St. Louis Rams All Have In Common?

BillsImpossible
01-13-2016, 07:32 PM
In 50 years worth of Super Bowls, 3 teams that played under a dome won a championship.

That's less than 1 percent.

0.06%

A dome means doom in the NFL.

0.06% is a pretty consistent track record over half a century's worth of football.

Football wasn't designed to be played inside.

The Detroit Lions should seriously consider playing outdoors, but they built a new domed stadium recently and hosted a Super Bowl.

That didn't do much for Detroit, or the Lions.

If the Bills build a new stadium with a dome on top of it, I don't even want to say it so I won't.

Just say no to the dome.

On a side note, no college football team that plays under a dome has ever won the national championship.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-13-2016, 07:48 PM
yea, cuz we've fared so well outside for the last 50 years....

IlluminatusUIUC
01-13-2016, 07:50 PM
In 50 years worth of Super Bowls, 3 teams that played under a dome won a championship.

0.06%

Math is a helluva thing. You should check it out.

On a side note, no college football team that plays under a dome has ever won the national championship.

How many teams even play in domes in college?

BillsImpossible
01-13-2016, 08:08 PM

How many teams even play in domes in college?

Syracuse.

BLeonard
01-13-2016, 08:09 PM

0.06%

Gonna stop you right here....

3/50 = 6/100 = 6%

6% > 1%

On top of that, there have only been 49 winners and Arizona is still in the playoffs. If they happen to win, the number would jump to 8%

-Bill

BillsImpossible
01-13-2016, 08:15 PM

What does 3 divided by 50 mean to you?

BLeonard
01-13-2016, 08:16 PM
What does 3 divided by 50 mean to you?

3/50 is .06... You have to multiply it by 100 to get a percentage, though. Also, as said before, there have only been 49 winners thus far. 50 hasn't been played yet.

-Bill

BillsImpossible
01-13-2016, 08:20 PM
3/50 is .06... You have to multiply it by 100 to get a percentage, though. Also, as said before, there have only been 49 winners thus far. 50 hasn't been played yet.

-Bill

All of the remaining teams don't play under a dome at home.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-13-2016, 08:23 PM

Arizona not only plays in a dome, they are the current Vegas favorites to win.

BLeonard
01-13-2016, 08:30 PM

The Arizona Cardinals beg to differ.

-Bill

BillsImpossible
01-13-2016, 08:34 PM
3 teams out of 50 NFL years.

Math is not my forte, but I can recognize a trend.

What's the difference between less than 1 percent and 6 percent?

About 6 beers.

BillsImpossible
01-13-2016, 08:39 PM
The Arizona Cardinals beg to differ.

-Bill

Retractable roofs don't count.

BLeonard
01-13-2016, 08:49 PM
3 teams out of 50 NFL years.

Math is not my forte, but I can recognize a trend.

What's the difference between less than 1 percent and 6 percent?

About 6 beers.

That's not the whole story though... Since math isn't your forte, as you say, I'll help here: Your calculation is way too simplistic.

What percentage of the NFL teams in a given year even played in a dome (or, indoor stadium, since "domes" are pretty much gone anyway). The earliest current NFL stadium that fits that is the Superdome (Saints) and it wasn't even built until 1975, 9 years after the Super Bowl started. Kinda hard to win a Super Bowl under a roof if there aren't any teams that meet the qualification.

Even today, only 8 teams have stadiums with a roof... That's only 25% of the league. Which means, at the start of every season, with all teams at 0-0, there's only a 25% chance that a team with a roof will win the Super Bowl. I'm guessing that the percentage was much less in the early years and likely not much higher than 25% in any given year.

-Bill

BLeonard
01-13-2016, 08:55 PM

Then, using that logic, only 3 teams have "Fixed" roofs currently... The Saints, Falcons and Lions... 3/32... 9.375% If you're getting real technical, Ford Field isn't really a "Dome" either... Just a fixed roof.

No AFC team has what you count as a "Dome"... Kinda hard to win a Super Bowl as a "Dome" team when the entire AFC is already guaranteed NOT to be a dome team.

The Saints, Falcons and Lions have a grand total of 2 Super Bowl appearances in their entire history, dome or no dome... They are 1/2 in those games (50%).

-Bill

Mace
01-13-2016, 09:37 PM
B pretty much whaled the bejesus out of you BillsImp. Stay down, for the love of heaven stay down. Tomorrow is another day, don't accept a rematch.

MillsapsBillsFan
01-14-2016, 05:47 AM
If a dome means that the Bills wont win a super bowl, whats our excuse for the last 49 the Bills haven't won?

Dr. Lecter
01-14-2016, 06:01 AM
Besides your math sucking, you left out that a majority of teams don't play in a dome as BLeonard covered.

What do the Bills, Cleveland, Jacksonsville, Houston, and Arizona have in common?

None have ever played in a dome.

They have not any Super Bowls.

What does that mean?

sukie
01-14-2016, 07:00 AM
How many of the 49 games featured teams that played in a dome that year? (worded that way cuz I don't remember if all of MIN's trips were as a dome team.)

Getting to the Superbowl is the key here NOT winning.

How many of those "Dome Teams" played in a Superbowl that was played in a dome?

gebobs
01-14-2016, 08:04 AM
That's a curious distinction, but fine...why not compare them all? Of course, there are far more open air stadiums in the NFL than not so

OK...so to count apples with apples, here's what you have to do:

* Count the total number of team/seasons played for a period
* Count the total number of team/seasons played under each roof type: dome, open, retractable
* Count the total number of championships for team/seasons played under each roof type
* Compare their relative success

I count 4 domes in the NFL now: Atlanta, Minny, Detroit, New Orleans. So in the last 10 years, 10% of Super Bowl champs have been under domes and domes represent 12.5% of the teams. It's the same for retractable: 10%/12%. For open air, it's 75%/80%.

I'll say a few things about these results:

* They are far from conclusive.
* There is probably no statistical significance to the differences.
* They are volatile (if the Cards win this year, domes go from 10% to 20%).
* Most importantly: S^4 i.e. "small sample size syndrome".

Mic dropped.

OpIv37
01-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Things BillsImpossible is bad at: Logic, basic math, statistics, knowing when a thought is too stupid to be worthy of posting on the Internet.

Dozerdog
01-14-2016, 12:43 PM
The only thing all those teams had in common (Saints/Falcons/Lions/Browns/Cards) in their long 50 history of not winning Super Bowls was bad ownership. Saints managed to win one eventually but their ownership history had a much larger hand in their overall futility.

Luisito23
01-14-2016, 01:24 PM
:coocoo:

BillsImpossible
01-14-2016, 05:50 PM
B pretty much whaled the bejesus out of you BillsImp. Stay down, for the love of heaven stay down. Tomorrow is another day, don't accept a rematch.

Dude, I got whipped like a pinata last night.

I need to redeem myself.

Does this info from 10 years ago exonerate me?

Blame The Dome

http://footballnation.com/content/blame-the-dome/5074/

http://www.footballnation.com/content/preparation-h-for-an-anal-pigskin-cold-sore/5012/

The truth is that domes are no more an advantage than any other home arena.

However, they are a clear disadvantage when dome teams go on the road.

[*=left]Dome teams are just 15-45 (.250) on the road in the postseason. This record indicates that dome teams have a disadvantage compared with other road teams.

In the entire history of NFL football, dome teams have won just 17 playoff games at home against teams that play outdoors.

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">
Division

Dome Teams

SB Appearances

SB Victories

NFC East

AFC East

AFC West

NFC West

AFC North

NFC North

NFC South

AFC South

2+

</tbody>

BillsImpossible
01-14-2016, 06:05 PM
:crack:

Mace
01-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Oh no....:yikes:

BillsImpossible
01-14-2016, 06:21 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FPOiyRZrxtM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mace
01-14-2016, 06:31 PM
I still think your best hope is that he doesn't notice, hombre.