PDA

View Full Version : Bills Hire Kathryn Smith - ST Quality Control Coach - 1st Ever Full-Time Female Asst

DraftBoy
01-20-2016, 05:53 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/20/bills-hire-a-female-assistant-coach/

The Cardinals made significant waves at the outset of the season, hiring Jenn Welter to serve as a training-camp assistant coach, working with inside linebackers. When camp ended, so did Welter’s assignment. The Bills are now taking the next step in the evolution of female football coaches.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Bills have hired Kathryn Smith to serve as a special teams quality control coach. She becomes the first full-time female assistant coach in NFL history.

The position was made official with the league office on Tuesday, and the Bills have not yet issued a formal announcement of the move.

Luisito23
01-20-2016, 05:56 PM
This team is interested in making news instead of winning, I'm used to it, but damn, I thought things would change with Pegula here.

Instead, they just gotten worst.

DraftBoy
01-20-2016, 05:58 PM
This team is interested in making news instead of winning, I'm used to it, but damn, I thought things would change with Pegula here.

I don't know if it's fair to classify this as making news. She's been in football for quite a while now and this is an entry-level coaching position. She clearly has impressed Rex Ryan more and she has more sideline and pro personnel experience than Ed Reed does.

Why not give her a shot if she's earned it?

BillsImpossible
01-20-2016, 06:04 PM

How have things gotten worse?

We've been eating gottenworst liver sausage since 1999.

What's wrong with having a little less gottenworst liver sausage and and replacing it with more roast beef curtains?

Luisito23
01-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Aside from cheer leading, women have no place anywhere near a football field.

YardRat
01-20-2016, 06:16 PM
I'd be more impressed with this hire if it wasn't just another bus ride west from New Jersey...

Smith worked as the administrative assistant to coach Rex Ryan in 2015, a position she also held during Ryan’s final year with the Jets. Before that, she spent seven years as a player personnel assistant with the Jets. Previously, she was a game day/special events intern and a college scouting intern.

...spreading more of Pegula's wealth amongst friends.

BillsImpossible
01-20-2016, 06:18 PM

Not even as a trainer? You'd rather have a dude touching your injured groin?

Coaches don't get close and personal like trainers do, so I don't see what the problem is.

Special teams quality control coach is the kind of job that entails what?

This is just a guess, but secretary comes to mind.

Women are better secretaries than men by nature.

I like this move.

DraftBoy
01-20-2016, 06:34 PM
I'd be more impressed with this hire if it wasn't just another bus ride west from New Jersey...

Smith worked as the administrative assistant to coach Rex Ryan in 2015, a position she also held during Ryan’s final year with the Jets. Before that, she spent seven years as a player personnel assistant with the Jets. Previously, she was a game day/special events intern and a college scouting intern.

...spreading more of Pegula's wealth amongst friends.

She was with the Bills last year and she was Administrative Assistant for Coaching. Rex Ryan's Assistant is Laura Young.

http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

Mace
01-20-2016, 06:43 PM
No offense to her or her abilities, but this just looks like a Rex Ryan "look what I did folks !" hire. It has less to do with her in my perspective than it does with Ryan. I'm fine with it on merit, if it is, but I just don't trust Ryan whatever.

If she's good, she'd better be stellar because Ryan isn't going anywhere quick, imho and it's going to take a big broom to clear away his dirt when it happens, and all he probably did is make her a footnote, no pun intended, though it's sitting there anyway.

casdhf
01-20-2016, 06:44 PM
I'm gonna guess bucks

YardRat
01-20-2016, 06:46 PM
She was with the Bills last year and she was Administrative Assistant for Coaching. Rex Ryan's Assistant is Laura Young.

http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

I know that, it's the part of the article I quoted. She also worked for Wrecks during his tenure with the Jets.

alohabillsfan
01-20-2016, 06:52 PM
I bet she has nice feet!

yanklovver
01-20-2016, 06:53 PM
Aside from cheer leading, women have no place anywhere near a football field.You are an IDIOT!....go back in the hole, you came out of!...Loser!

Turf
01-20-2016, 06:55 PM
Since we're a circus act, it's time to bring in Bill Murray. WTF. Why not. We got Rex's brother. Imagine Bill Murray, then Dan Akryod, Bill Clinton, the Rex brothers, and Paula Abdul as cheerleading coach. Yeah, yeah that's the ticket. Maybe we can bring in Watts from NASA in the movie Armageddon to kick these big 300LB + players in the nuts when they act up. Maybe Russ can get Terry a movie gig with Costner.
I've got nothing against the hire, but tiring of the circus act.

Dr. Lecter
01-20-2016, 07:02 PM
Since we're a circus act, it's time to bring in Bill Murray. WTF. Why not. We got Rex's brother. Imagine Bill Murray, then Dan Akryod, Bill Clinton, the Rex brothers, and Paula Abdul as cheerleading coach. Yeah, yeah that's the ticket. Maybe we can bring in Watts from NASA in the movie Armageddon to kick these big 300LB + players in the nuts when they act up. Maybe Russ can get Terry a movie gig with Costner.

I bet she has nice feet!

Nice to come into this thread and see that the stupid is running strong tonight.

Congrats to the neanderthals posting here already. I hope your knuckles don't bleed too much from dragging on the ground.

YardRat
01-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Nice to come into this thread and see that the stupid is running strong tonight.

Congrats to the neanderthals posting here already. I hope your knuckles don't bleed too much from dragging on the ground.

That's not fair...the same things have been said about Ed Reed in that thread...does that constitute knuckle-dragging also, or just plain racism? The same things have been said about Wrob, and he's a white male...what transgression does that qualify as?

Dr. Lecter
01-20-2016, 07:08 PM
That's not fair...the same things have been said about Ed Reed in that thread...does that constitute knuckle-dragging also, or just plain racism? The same things have been said about Wrob, and he's a white male...what transgression does that qualify as?

Wow.

I must have missed Lusito saying that **** in the Ed Reed thread.

Can you point it out?

And can you also not play the "everything is equal" game?

Ed Reed - a man who has never been a coach before replacing a coach who coached one of the two best positions this year.

As opposed to Kathryn Smith who has some experience and is coming in at an entry level position.

They aren't exactly the same.

YardRat
01-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Wow.

I must have missed Lusito saying that **** in the Ed Reed thread.

Can you point it out?

And can you also not play the "everything is equal" game?

Ed Reed - a man who has never been a coach before replacing a coach who coached one of the two best positions this year.

As opposed to Kathryn Smith who has some experience and is coming in at an entry level position.

They aren't exactly the same.

They aren't exactly the same, but they don't have to be. A man that has never coached in his life being put into a position of assistant coach is a single step above a secretary who has never coached in her life being hired as a quality control coach and it has absolutely nothing to do with either's genitalia. Is this hire supposed to be above criticism, unlike any other hire, simply because she is a female?

ParanoidAndroid
01-20-2016, 07:17 PM
Gotta love how acceptable sexism seems to be by several posters here. Instead of being proud of the fact the Bills and Rex Ryan are bucking the sexist traditions of the NFL, the troglodytes are out in full force to assume she has no actual football administrative skills. Bravo, idiots.

BertSquirtgum
01-20-2016, 07:17 PM
Blow jobs for all players after a win?

Dr. Lecter
01-20-2016, 07:18 PM
They aren't exactly the same, but they don't have to be. A man that has never coached in his life being put into a position of assistant coach is a single step above a secretary who has never coached in her life being hired as a quality control coach and it has absolutely nothing to do with either's genitalia. Is this hire supposed to be above criticism, unlike any other hire, simply because she is a female?

I didn't say that.

It seems that many people don't seem to have much of a reason to object.

Not to mention, she was more than a "secretary" .

And yes - a position coach is much more than a quality control coach. Especially when the person he is replacing was quite accomplished with this team. In short, the two have NOTHING in common except people being given the title of coach for the first time.

Not to mention, you still didn't address Luisito's post.

Dr. Lecter
01-20-2016, 07:19 PM

Hey Yardie - was this said about Ed Reed too?

I can't seem to find it............

Turf
01-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Let's put it this way. Congratulations to the team that has the only twin brothers coaching the team to hire the first woman assistant coach. I'm sure she's highly qualified. But I'm not afraid to say what everyones thinking. We're a circus act. You know it, I know, and the American people know it (Bob Dole). So get off you high pseudo horse.

BertSquirtgum
01-20-2016, 07:25 PM

Cry me a river. Football is a man's game. What's she going to do when the guys are walking around the locker room naked?

Turf
01-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Honest to God at this point, I want Bill Murray. At least we'll have some fun.

Dr. Lecter
01-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Cry me a river. Football is a man's game. What's she going to do when the guys are walking around the locker room naked?

If you're there, I assume she would squint her eyes and then laugh hysterically.

Mace
01-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Let's face it, it wouldn't really surprise anyone if we hired Screech from Saved By the Bell when he gets out of jail. None of it makes Rex any more proficient as an HC or in his judgement to date, considering he got a Mark Sanchez tattoo and just hired his brother, a really not good coach, took a 4th ranked defense to 19th being a defensive genius, brought in Wayne Hunter for no good reason, cannot make coherent sentences at press conferences without confusing himself, was startled to learn the complexity of replay challenges after 6 years as a head coach and lies continuous and certain without even having a clue he is doing so.

It does not bode well for his hires, no matter their merit or lack of merit.

ParanoidAndroid
01-20-2016, 07:34 PM

Hahaha! I know, Right!? Your insight is astounding. What depth of thought! What a sense of humor! What a huge penis you must have!

BertSquirtgum
01-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Do you guys tuck your dick and balls behind you when you look in a mirror? If you feminist want women to coach football, start your own women's league and have them coach girls. This hire is stupid.

Dr. Lecter
01-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Yeah ! Girls are yucky and have cooties!

And they should be home, making me dinner and cleaning. Barefoot and pregnant I say.

I do thank you for proving what Android and I are saying.

DraftBoy
01-20-2016, 07:41 PM

Well it would be nice if you actually gave her credit for her resume which includes multiple years working in the pro personnel department. Stating that she was just a secretary is utterly ridiculous.

And no the hire isn't above criticism, but there has yet to be a single legitimate one offered as of yet.

BertSquirtgum
01-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Yeah ! Girls are yucky and have cooties!

And they should be home, making me dinner and cleaning. Barefoot and pregnant I say.

I do thank you for proving what Android and I are saying.

Yeah, because saying females don't belong in football equates this bull**** post. F off.

Dr. Lecter
01-20-2016, 07:45 PM
Yeah, because saying females don't belong in football equates this bull**** post. F off.

So what are they allowed to do in your eyes?

Do you have a list of activities that they aren't allowed to participate in?

Your insightful comments, backed with reason, facts and logic have been great in this thread.

DraftBoy
01-20-2016, 07:45 PM
The responses are nearly as predictable as they are sad.

Same kind of idiots are the ones making fools of themselves every weekend in the tailgate just to be laughed at by every other team. The decision to hire a female assistant coach doesn't make this team a laughing stock, but the way the fan base acted repeatedly this season certainly helped to cement that reputation.

Turf
01-20-2016, 07:47 PM
If I accidently run over a dog its a mistake. If Michael Vick runs over a dog, well, I think we all get the drift. So next year, every, EVERY, pre game interview will be about Rob Ryan and our female coach. Good job boys, while we're on the way to a 6-10 season. Wonderful. Excellent. At least get some comedic relief.

BertSquirtgum
01-20-2016, 07:47 PM
So what are they allowed to do in your eyes?

Do you have a list of activities that they aren't allowed to participate in?

Your insightful comments, backed with reason, facts and logic have been great in this thread.

I'm sure all the women just love the stand you're taking for them. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

DraftBoy
01-20-2016, 07:50 PM
From Rex Ryan on Smith's recent experience:

"Kathryn has been working in a football administrative role and assisted the assistant coaches for years. She has proven that she's ready for the next step, so I'm excited and proud for her with this opportunity. She will work with [special teams coordinator] Danny Crossman and [special teams assistant] Eric Smith involving a number of responsibilities."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14614558/kathryn-smith-hired-buffalo-bills-nfl-first-full-assistant

Turf
01-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Wrong board...

ParanoidAndroid
01-20-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm sure all the women just love the stand you're taking for them. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

For you, that might be what it's all about: impressing women like it's some kind of dick measuring contest. That's all the intellectual depth you're capable of. It's not surprising this is the limit of discussion for you.

BertSquirtgum
01-20-2016, 09:06 PM
For you, that might be what it's all about: impressing women like it's some kind of dick measuring contest. That's all the intellectual depth you're capable of. It's not surprising this is the limit of discussion for you.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luisito23
01-20-2016, 10:48 PM
LOL...This thread's as comedic as it is pathetic...

And, I was just simply stating my opinion which I'm sure many here feel the same way (just too scared to say anything)

People insulting and making asses of themselves is expected here though, so whatever.

ParanoidAndroid
01-21-2016, 01:20 AM

And, I was just simply stating my opinion which I'm sure many here feel the same way (just too scared to say anything)

People insulting and making asses of themselves is expected here though, so whatever.

Does it comfort you to know you're not the only one with backward opinions?

sudzy
01-21-2016, 02:04 AM
Now that they have hired on Rob Ryan and his huge appetite, I guess they need someone to make all those sandwiches.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2016, 02:59 AM

Yes, there are people doing that.

Congrats!

stuckincincy
01-21-2016, 03:55 AM
Do you guys tuck your dick and balls behind you when you look in a mirror? If you feminist want women to coach football, start your own women's league and have them coach girls. This hire is stupid.

I the Lingerie Football League (LFL) has been in operation for several years:

(note - possilbly NSFW)

http://www.lflus.com/standings

YardRat
01-21-2016, 03:58 AM
I'm not going to excuse the blowjob, cheerleader, or women don't belong around football comments but this hire isn't above criticism from a football, organizational, or 'philosophy' standpoint just because she is a women. I'm sorry, but a transition from an assistant in the personnel department to the coaching staff is not a natural transition, regardless of Wrecks' comments otherwise. She worked with Wrecks in NY, he brought her along for the ride, just like he did the majority of the coaching staff. If somebody wants to hire a 'coach' then hire someone with coaching experience, not front office experience.

This has just more 'look at me' written all over it. Most of the other teams in the NFL are preparing to compete for wins next season, we're primping for Hard Knocks. Hoo-****ing-ray.

The young lady has worked for Wrecks for seven years, why in the hell does he have to call Bruce Arians for feedback? Is Arians supposed to know her abilities better than her boss?

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2016, 04:09 AM
I'm not going to excuse the blowjob, cheerleader, or women don't belong around football comments but this hire isn't above criticism from a football, organizational, or 'philosophy' standpoint just because she is a women. I'm sorry, but a transition from an assistant in the personnel department to the coaching staff is not a natural transition, regardless of Wrecks' comments otherwise. She worked with Wrecks in NY, he brought her along for the ride, just like he did the majority of the coaching staff. If somebody wants to hire a 'coach' then hire someone with coaching experience, not front office experience.

This has just more 'look at me' written all over it. Most of the other teams in the NFL are preparing to compete for wins next season, we're primping for Hard Knocks. Hoo-****ing-ray.

The young lady has worked for Wrecks for seven years, why in the hell does he have to call Bruce Arians for feedback? Is Arians supposed to know her abilities better than her boss?

Except for the fact that quite often quality control coaches are often entry level positions.

But hey - you always call him Wrecks and aren't willing to even consider anything he does or actually take a step back.

You treat him as if he is a bad version of Bullough or Stephenson.

As for talking to Arians, I'm guessing it's because Arians had a female on his staff part time. Don't be obtuse

It's hysterical to see you comment on anything Ryan does and watch it fly in the face of "everything is equal" philosophy.

swiper
01-21-2016, 04:36 AM
This hiring is nothing more than a Russ Brandon stunt.

Just like the TO signing.

Historian
01-21-2016, 04:39 AM

This.

It just smacks of another PR stunt in a long line of stunts that has resulted in 16 years without any playoffs.

Especially considering a woman is co-owner of the team.

However, we should judge her based on her credentials, not on her sex organs.

To do the latter is tantamount to saying blacks aren't qualified to play QB....or gays play linebacker.

Unthinkable today, but in 1970....

Who knows? Perhaps this is what the team needs to take the next step.

Seems to me that they haven't been very good since Linda Bogdan died.

Food for thought.

DraftBoy
01-21-2016, 04:45 AM

Such complete bull**** here.

First off she worked in pro personnel and unless you're going to call Ryan a liar he said point blank in the statement last night that she has been working with coaching staff previously. Hell she was already listed as part of the coaching staff before they made the move.

So by your own determination there should never be a new coach ever hired, because as you said "if somebody wants to hire a coach then hire something with coaching experience". What is wrong with giving somebody new, who is already familiar with the team, players, and coaches, their first shot? Explain how that philosophy is so misguided that nobody should ever be given their first job in coaching in your mind.

Name one team that's preparing for wins next season and how they are doing it. The Bills have multiple scouts at the Shrine Bowl this week, have met with a number of players, and will be watching the game this weekend. Is there something more that they can be doing publicly that you know they aren't doing and want to bring attention to?

He didn't call Arians to ask about her qualifications, he called Arians to ask about the potential effects of having a woman be a coach on a NFL team. Arians has said publicly, and clearly now privately, that he had no issues at all with it. Any coach would make that call before pulling the trigger on this hire.

Again you can be critical of the hire, but to this point not one legitimate criticism has been put forth.

YardRat
01-21-2016, 04:50 AM
Except for the fact that quite often quality control coaches are often entry level positions.

But hey - you always call him Wrecks and aren't willing to even consider anything he does or actually take a step back.

You treat him as if he is a bad version of Bullough or Stephenson.

As for talking to Arians, I'm guessing it's because Arians had a female on his staff part time. Don't be obtuse

It's hysterical to see you comment on anything Ryan does and watch it fly in the face of "everything is equal" philosophy.

Except for the fact 'entry level positions' don't normally take seven years of experience to obtain, and also flies in the face of DB's contention that this position is the next step in some kind of natural progression that she apparently worked her way up through.

I did take a step back, and read the article, and culled the portion that was pretty clear about her previous employment with Wrecks and the Jets, and the timeline that brought her to the Bills from NJ with him. Do you think I would have or could have made my initial comment without 'stepping back' and looking into the details further?

He might be worse than either...time will tell.

Where is the young lady Arians had during training camp? Considering Smith is now accepted as the 'first', it's safe to assume that the person Bruce hired isn't on an NFL staff anymore. Which woman has more experience working as a coach, her or Smith? Which one is more qualified? Why wasn't that young lady hired instead of Smith, especially considering Wrecks had talked to Arians prior to the hire?

YardRat
01-21-2016, 04:58 AM
So by your own determination there should never be a new coach ever hired, because as you said "if somebody wants to hire a coach then hire something with coaching experience". What is wrong with giving somebody new, who is already familiar with the team, players, and coaches, their first shot? Explain how that philosophy is so misguided that nobody should ever be given their first job in coaching in your mind.

Jim Schwartz just called...he was laughing so hard, I couldn't really understand exactly what he was trying to say.

- - - Updated - - -

And we just made the national news, on the Today Show. Mission accomplished.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2016, 05:07 AM
Except for the fact 'entry level positions' don't normally take seven years of experience to obtain, and also flies in the face of DB's contention that this position is the next step in some kind of natural progression that she apparently worked her way up through.

How many years does it take?
And how does it fly in the face of his contention? It's an entry level coaching position,

I did take a step back, and read the article, and culled the portion that was pretty clear about her previous employment with Wrecks and the Jets, and the timeline that brought her to the Bills from NJ with him. Do you think I would have or could have made my initial comment without 'stepping back' and looking into the details further?

Then read it again. Her path isn't all that unusual - perhaps a bit longer but given her gender that might not be a surprise.

He might be worse than either...time will tell.

Worse than Bullough?

Come on.

That's just, well, stupid. I know you're old enough to know that.

Where is the young lady Arians had during training camp? Considering Smith is now accepted as the 'first', it's safe to assume that the person Bruce hired isn't on an NFL staff anymore. Which woman has more experience working as a coach, her or Smith? Which one is more qualified? Why wasn't that young lady hired instead of Smith, especially considering Wrecks had talked to Arians prior to the hire?

My God.

Perhaps they have different strengths. Perhaps, like many coaches, Ryan has worked with this person and feels more comfortable with her. Here is a bit of news for you - most coaches teams hire aren't on a staff anymore. I don't know what that is supposed to mean. Were you as upset with all of the previous Bills coaching hires that didn't have previous experience?

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2016, 05:12 AM
- - - Updated - - -

So all first time hires like this are automatically bad?

Boy, if the Dodgers hadn't signed that negro, they wouldn't have been on the news at all...

(Which isn't to say she's Jackie Robinson's equivalent. Just to point out that this is going to make the news and saying that it making the news is a negative is dumb as hell.)

Night Train
01-21-2016, 05:18 AM
She was promoted since she threatened to expose the Bills initial request...to be Rob Ryans' sub maker.

Actually, it's pretty cool. Good for her. She can probably read film as well as any guy, which is quality controls job. :bf1:

MillsapsBillsFan
01-21-2016, 06:02 AM
I've never seen so much anger over a Special Teams quality control coach. Quick someone name me five other people that you would want for this very important role.

Come on now, she is at the lowest possible level of the coaching tree. Not like she was hired as our DC or something (though she might be better).

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2016, 06:05 AM
Not that any of this will matter to people

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23543/five-things-to-know-about-bills-kathryn-smith-first-nfl-female-coach

The Buffalo Bills on Wednesday became the first team in NFL history to hire a full-time female assistant coach, naming Kathryn Smith to a special teams quality-control role.
So who is Smith? Here are five things to know about her:
1. She already was part of the organization. This isn't an external hire, but rather a promotion. Smith served as the administrative assistant to head coach Rex Ryan this season after having the same role in Ryan's final season with the New York Jets in 2014. Smith was seen around the practice field this season, and while she wasn't working hands-on with players during practices, she was a visible presence around the facility. This isn't someone who is starting fresh with a new team, but an existing employee who is changing her role with the organization.
2. She has a background in scouting and personnel. Smith isn't a stranger to the game. After serving as a game-day and special events intern for the Jets in 2003, she became a college scouting intern in 2005 and later served as a full-time player personnel assistant beginning in 2007. Undoubtedly, those jobs have given her exposure to film breakdown, on-field strategy and evaluation of players, which are all skills that she can further develop in her role next season working with the Bills' special-teams unit.

More....

Historian
01-21-2016, 06:29 AM
this hire isn't above criticism from a football, organizational, or 'philosophy' standpoint just because she is a women.

True.

I believe that any move, be it player, coach, admin, etc, is going to be heavily scrutinized due to the disappointment of last season, and Rex's handling of the defense.

And not just on message boards....in the local press as well.

k-oneputt
01-21-2016, 06:36 AM
Well isn't this cute. I guess the Bills will be all over ESPN for the next 24 hrs.
Another meaningless move.

daryls61
01-21-2016, 07:56 AM
This plus the Rob Ryan hire should assure the Bills will be on Hard Knocks.

EDS
01-21-2016, 09:05 AM
It is unfortunate for Kathryn Smith that her hiring, which is historic, is tainted by the perception that this is part of the Rex Ryan circus. I hope she does well and that Rex is not doing this as a media stunt.

If this move was made by the Gregg Popovich of NFL coaches it would be universally (well except for people with well below average intellects) praised.

Joe Fo Sho
01-21-2016, 09:13 AM
It is unfortunate for Kathryn Smith that her hiring, which is historic, is tainted by the perception that this is part of the Rex Ryan circus. I hope she does well and that Rex is not doing this as a media stunt.

If this move was made by the Gregg Popovich of NFL coaches it would be universally (well except for people with well below average intellects) praised.

Good coaches always get a pass because...well because they have a history of being good. Coaches like Rex do not have that luxury and get critiqued when hiring anyone, even assistants to assistants. Some of it is valid, some of it is not.

I, for one, could not care less about the hiring of an assistant ST coach whether they are black, white, male, female, athiest, or otherwise. It means nothing to me. If the Bills succeed, it's Rex's fault. If they fail, it's Rex's fault. These types of coaches don't matter to me, so good for her getting promoted to this position. If she fails, it will not be catastrophic to the Bills. If she succeeds, I hope she can keep working her way up the ladder.

Blondie
01-21-2016, 09:17 AM

She is going to be grabbing their dicks.. Wtf do you think she is gonna be doing in that locker room

Blondie
01-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Not even as a trainer? You'd rather have a dude touching your injured groin?

Yes, that's it... When a player has a groin injury that's the only thing the physical therapist or other therapist has in their hand ... The players dick...

Seriously do you have a brain?

Blondie
01-21-2016, 09:21 AM

So does this post equate to that YOU have tucked your **** in in front of a mirror??

Lol .. As the saying goes, you only accuse others of what you are capable of doing yourself..

Victor7
01-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Completely irrelevant if she's a girl or a dude. What matters is if she's qualified for the job. If she is, great for her and the team. If she isn't and this is Rex or Russ trying to make headlines **** them both. You know what ? **** them both anyway.

In any case all the best to Katrhyn. She's going into Special Teams where Danny Crossman (who is still employed god knows why) is going to be her boss. We sure need some help in that area. Aside from Jordan Gay and Colton Schmidt the units were a disaster.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Actually Gay wasn't that good. His touchback % was in the middle of the league

Only Schmidt and the KO coverage were good. The return game was horrible. Kicks were an adventure.

Long snaps were good though!

gebobs
01-21-2016, 10:52 AM

The "nice feet" post is pure comedy gold as was the "guess bucks" post.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2016, 10:56 AM
The "nice feet" post is pure comedy gold as was the "guess bucks" post.

So was my laugh hysterically post

stuckincincy
01-21-2016, 10:58 AM

Let's see here...you drink at the fountain of diversity, but when folks disagree with you, you are unwilling to accept their diversity and descend to insult.

Sweet... :scratch:

gebobs
01-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Yes, that's it... When a player has a groin injury that's the only thing the physical therapist or other therapist has in their hand ... The players dick...

Seriously do you have a brain?

"Hey, honey. I'm just at the physical therapist's and will be home in an hour. Yeah, it's the groin again. Mind if I get a happy ending?"

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Let's see here...you drink at the fountain of diversity, but when folks disagree with you, you are unwilling to accept their diversity and descend to insult.

Tolerate my intolerance!!!!

Yeesh.

DraftBoy
01-21-2016, 11:13 AM
Jim Schwartz just called...he was laughing so hard, I couldn't really understand exactly what he was trying to say.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we know you like to use the Levitre defense whenever it fits you need.

And god forbid the team gets a positive PR result from this. We could always have another drunken idiot jump on a burning table and catch himself on fire to make the national media that way.

stuckincincy
01-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Tolerate my intolerance!!!!

Yeesh.

:kid:

coastal
01-21-2016, 11:23 AM
I love it when Lecter comes out of the woodwork to stand up for the feelings of gays and women.

he's not your average run of the mill enlightened metro... he's a cat toting gender sensitivity super hero!

lol.

As far as this hire... who cares?! She's not going to have any appreciable impact on the cess-pool of cronyism that Pegula has built.

in fact... she probably will compliment it nicely.

And her titties have nothing to do with it.

stuckincincy
01-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Yes, we know you like to use the Levitre defense whenever it fits you need.

And god forbid the team gets a positive PR result from this. We could always have another drunken idiot jump on a burning table and catch himself on fire to make the national media that way.

With the national exposure, it may only be a matter of time before the tabloids chirp about "the 7-year woman in Rexie's life".

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2016, 11:34 AM
I love it when Lecter comes out of the woodwork to stand up for the feelings of gays and women.

he's not your average run of the mill enlightened metro... he's a cat toting gender sensitivity super hero!

lol.

As far as this hire... who cares?! She's not going to have any appreciable impact on the cess-pool of cronyism that Pegula has built.

in fact... she probably will compliment it nicely.

And her titties have nothing to do with it.

I luv U 2!

justasportsfan
01-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Die thread Die!!!!

justasportsfan
01-21-2016, 11:48 AM

Yikes!

BertSquirtgum
01-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Stupid meaningless hire. Women don't belong in football. Go paint your nails.

Uncle Jesse
01-21-2016, 01:47 PM
She'll have as much of an impact as Michael Sam.

Bill Cody
01-21-2016, 01:47 PM
The usual suspects have the usual takes. :tired:

I wish Ms. Smith the best of luck. Some players will be skeptical of her at first but in the end players will judge her on one thing: can she help them to get better, as it should be.

swiper
01-21-2016, 02:12 PM
This plus the Rob Ryan hire should assure the Bills will be on Hard Knocks.

Told you already. Russ Brandon is working toward the three ring circus. Hard Knocks is a guarantee.

pmoon6
01-21-2016, 02:27 PM

Instead, they just gotten worst.Jesus, give the lady a chance.

pmoon6
01-21-2016, 02:32 PM

he's not your average run of the mill enlightened metro... he's a cat toting gender sensitivity super hero!Maybe, but he's developing a nasty streak.....which I will try to continue to cultivate.

BuffaloRedleg
01-21-2016, 02:33 PM
I knew coming here to read the comments was a bad idea.

DesertFox24
01-21-2016, 02:54 PM
If she is qualified for the job I have zero problems with this. From the looks of the resume 12 years would indicate to me she is qualified for this position. Best of luck to her.

Blondie
01-21-2016, 03:09 PM

more than half the "men" don't belong in football either, but hey lets rag on women because that is SOOOOOO cool!

SpikedLemonade
01-21-2016, 03:24 PM
I hope she succeeds.

If the Bills intentions were solely PR related, shame on them.

DraftBoy
01-21-2016, 03:32 PM
I hope she succeeds.

If the Bills intentions were solely PR related, shame on them.

If the Bills intentions were solely PR then I don't think they put this out after 9:00 pm on a Wednesday night. Just saying that there a lot of better ways to maximize the PR cycle if that was their true intent.

ParanoidAndroid
01-21-2016, 04:43 PM

Their diversity? Since when is bigotry an expression of diversity? You can't be serious.

Mace
01-21-2016, 05:10 PM
Meh. If she's good at being a tape analyzing QC assistant, no one will notice, maybe not even Crossman. If she's not, it's another Ryan failsauce. QC assistants analyze tape, women analyze about as well as men if you hung around any, sometimes better, sometimes worse same as any guy. She's likely as not to get the boot when Ryan does, and it won't have anything to do with her gender.

I dated an image/target analysis Air Force female officer for a while. Probably way smarter than I was. She was a wee little lady, served in Iraq. I'm not sure she'd have done well being dropped by herself with a bowie knife into enemy strongholds, but that wasn't her job. She analyzed images for targets. Never saw her beat up a Marine, wasn't her job.

This hire should be good or bad on merit, and being a Ryan hire, well, it's perfectly normal to think it's circus and ill advised without even having to wonder it's a woman doing it, imho. And if she's good at it, well Ryan has to figure something out once in a while like a blind pig does.

feldspar
01-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Funny to see people fly off the handle in this thread without even knowing what this gal's duties even are. What is her job description? Can anybody even tell me that?

Now, if a female becomes the Center, I can see how that could be distracting to the QB. See what I'm saying?

Talk about the locker-room...will she even be in there? Remember, the Bills have that midget. He's walking around at eye-level perhaps, if you see what I mean.

swiper
01-21-2016, 07:14 PM
Jesus, give the lady a chance.

It just doesn't matter. It's not about the young woman. It's about the Bills making a big deal out hiring over an otherwise meaningless position.

It's very Russ Brandonesque.

Mike13
01-21-2016, 08:06 PM

Sorry to hear about your penis.

Crisis
01-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Good lord this is probably the worst thread in BillsZone history, and that's saying something

Dr. Lecter
01-22-2016, 03:25 AM
It just doesn't matter. It's not about the young woman. It's about the Bills making a big deal out hiring over an otherwise meaningless position.

How did the Bills make a big deal out of it?

By announcing it?

X-Era
01-22-2016, 04:10 AM
**** canning the Jills was a bigger story.

Historian
01-22-2016, 05:26 AM

He's busy out ruining the Sabres...

Dr. Lecter
01-22-2016, 06:05 AM
FWIW, I'm pretty sure Brandon does not want Hard Knocks.

MillsapsBillsFan
01-22-2016, 06:31 AM

It's not really up to him anyways

TedMock
01-22-2016, 09:02 AM
I had no idea the fanbase was so interested in special teams quality control coaches. These aren't even on-the-field positions. Does everybody know who the last few Buffalo STQC's were? I honestly do not. I wonder what the media was like in 1976 when Connie Carberg was hired. I also wonder what they were like when she was credited with discovering Mark Gastineau. It's film study. Analytical. I don't see why there's such opposition. Also don't think it was a marketing ploy. I understand the concern around the marketing angle given the last year, but the low-key announcement and timing of it all doesn't lend to a campaign-like initiative. The foot fetish comment was wonderfully entertaining though.

TedMock
01-22-2016, 09:46 AM
I had no idea the fanbase was so interested in special teams quality control coaches. These aren't even on-the-field positions. Does everybody know who the last few Buffalo STQC's were? I honestly do not. I wonder what the media was like in 1976 when Connie Carberg was hired. I also wonder what they were like when she was credited with discovering Mark Gastineau. It's film study. Analytical. I don't see why there's such opposition. Also don't think it was a marketing ploy. I understand the concern around the marketing angle given the last year, but the low-key announcement and timing of it all doesn't lend to a campaign-like initiative. The foot fetish comment was wonderfully entertaining though.

Made same comment to a friend a few minutes ago who misunderstood what I was saying. Just to clarify - I do realize that she will be on the field for games and practices and maybe even helping toy around with scout team alignment based on her film study (she should be). Her primary duties will be focused on monitors and video screens off the field. She's not the go-to coach on the field.

Albany,n.y.
01-22-2016, 10:07 AM

I guess you forgot that a woman owns the team. Or do you really (naively) think that Terry controls everything?

ticatfan
01-22-2016, 10:14 AM
No offense to her or her abilities, but this just looks like a Rex Ryan "look what I did folks !" hire. It has less to do with her in my perspective than it does with Ryan. I'm fine with it on merit, if it is, but I just don't trust Ryan whatever.

If she's good, she'd better be stellar because Ryan isn't going anywhere quick, imho and it's going to take a big broom to clear away his dirt when it happens, and all he probably did is make her a footnote, no pun intended, though it's sitting there anyway.Ryans mother I understand was a activist for this sort of stuff, so that could where his thinking comes from.

BertSquirtgum
01-22-2016, 04:24 PM
I guess you forgot that a woman owns the team. Or do you really (naively) think that Terry controls everything?

She can go paint her nails too.

Mace
01-22-2016, 06:19 PM
She can go paint her nails too.

I had a gf did that to me once after I passed out drunk. I never felt the color suited me, but I had to laugh every time I looked down at my bare feets.

sudzy
01-23-2016, 04:28 AM

No, I pretty sure HBO doesn't want the Bills. Russ would give his left nut to be on Hard Knocks.

justasportsfan
01-23-2016, 07:47 AM

Rex is no longer selling tickets. Anyone buying tickets because of him has to be his family .

Hardknocks could sell tickets. It's PR for the team that signs up.

YardRat
01-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Sounds to me like Brandon would do it, as long as he could get the 'football people' on board...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-brandon-excited-about-future-under-pegulas-ownership-20141018

BN: What’s your opinion of the Bills starring on “Hard Knocks”?

RB: “While it enhances the brand, it is something your football operations need to be very aware of. So knowing Coach Marrone and Doug Whaley, I don’t think they would be running to the front of the line to get involved in that.
“That’s where the business and football sides have interesting discussions.”

stuckincincy
01-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Their diversity? Since when is bigotry an expression of diversity? You can't be serious.

It certainly IS under the "umbrella" of diversity. You choose to use a political and oppressive definition of the word. Diversity means that things are different. Including opinions and lifestyles (another current buzzword).

Under that umbrella, who is to say that folks who by their own choices, don't care to associate with this one or that one? Does your definition of diversity exclude them, and only allow those that meet your proclivities and feelings?

If you believe in freedom of expression, then you are a Class A phony if you deny another's bigotry. You need not associate with such. That is your choice. A bigot also has the same right of expression as you do. If you think different, you are but a dictator.

Dr. Lecter
01-24-2016, 06:47 AM
No one has denied your"right" to express your idiotic, exist, moronic beliefs

However, just as you may express them all you want we may express that we think they are freaking dumb as hell

See how that works?

Historian
01-24-2016, 07:05 AM
I think she's kinda cute.

There, I've said it.

pmoon6
01-24-2016, 07:38 AM
Man, if these guys are having a cow about a female coach, what's going to happen when a team signs a female QB. They already have a couple of metrosexuals (half women) playing in the AFC Championship Game. The league protects those two like they are women.

All it will take is a couple more rules changes and a few years and voila.

YardRat
01-24-2016, 08:26 AM
Man, if these guys are having a cow about a female coach, what's going to happen when a team signs a female QB. They already have a couple of metrosexuals (half women) playing in the AFC Championship Game. The league protects those two like they are women.

All it will take is a couple more rules changes and a few years and voila.

That's Brandon's plan for next season.

ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2016, 09:19 AM
It certainly IS under the "umbrella" of diversity. You choose to use a political and oppressive definition of the word. Diversity means that things are different. Including opinions and lifestyles (another current buzzword).

Under that umbrella, who is to say that folks who by their own choices, don't care to associate with this one or that one? Does your definition of diversity exclude them, and only allow those that meet your proclivities and feelings?

If you believe in freedom of expression, then you are a Class A phony if you deny another's bigotry. You need not associate with such. That is your choice. A bigot also has the same right of expression as you do. If you think different, you are but a dictator.

Who denied anyone's right to bigotry? I'm just pointing it out and calling it like it is. And to try to celebrate bigotry as an expression of diversity is a sophomoric attempt at reducing the definition of the word to fit your needs in this discussion, as it were. It's simply nonsense. I think you're stupid. There's an opinion. Now, you can explain why you disagree and let me know how impolite that is. But be careful. Like you, I might suddenly feel oppressed by your need to meet only your "proclivities and feelings." Jesus Haploid Christ, you're stupid.

gebobs
01-25-2016, 10:30 AM
I'd rather have her on the field for games than the stupid ass chaplain.

stuckincincy
01-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Who denied anyone's right to bigotry? I'm just pointing it out and calling it like it is. And to try to celebrate bigotry as an expression of diversity is a sophomoric attempt at reducing the definition of the word to fit your needs in this discussion, as it were. It's simply nonsense. I think you're stupid. There's an opinion. Now, you can explain why you disagree and let me know how impolite that is. But be careful. Like you, I might suddenly feel oppressed by your need to meet only your "proclivities and feelings." Jesus Haploid Christ, you're stupid.

Marvin...please stop being so...tweakable. :console:

Historian
01-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Think she stays?

Albany,n.y.
01-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Think she stays?

I hope not. Not because I have anything against her being on the staff, but if she stays it means that Anthony Lynn is the head coach. I want to move far away from the Ryan staff-that includes Lynn and all the assistants.

One thing that drives me crazy is seeing posts about possibly keeping Lynn around with a different head coach. The last thing I want to see is a new coach being saddled with the old OC. If we're moving on from the losing culture Rex Ryan & his staff helped maintain, let's move as far away as possible. NO assistants retained from Rex's staff.

Novacane
01-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Hope not. If Wrecks Ryan thought she was a good coach she probably isn't!

Cleve
01-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Just looking objectively at the results, her first year as "Quality Control Coach" was an unmitigated disaster. Bills Special Teams ranked 23 this season, vs 12 in 2015. Weighted, Bills Special Teams rank 27 out of 32.

Where was the 'quality' in Mike Gillisee's unbelievably botched play that allowed the Jets to score 10 pts in zero seconds? LOL

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

It seems like style is more important to Kim Pegula than substance. It was a Russ Brandon big PR moment to have the first female coach. God Save the Queen - Hoorah Hoorah!

Look, I only want to see the finest possible coaches hired. If the special teams held even with last season, when Hamlin was in her role, or improved - fantastic. No complaints. But the special teams declined significantly.

IF that individual is a woman, great. If not, that's great too. The only guideline should be performance - not breaking glass ceilings, real or imagined.

Cleve
01-10-2017, 01:53 PM
BTW, yet another area where the Bills have went downhill under Pegula ownership - Special Teams. In 2014, they were ranked 4th (season started under old ownership).

As soon as the Pegulas took over, they were 12th next season.

Mike Hamlin - the FORMER special teams quality coach - was fired after one season that saw the Bills drop 8 places - from 4th to 12th - in Special Teams.

The Bills this year - dropped from 12 to 23 - ELEVEN places. IF we go by Weighted standings, the Bills dropped FIFTEEN places in ST rankings. Shouldn't Kathryn Smith be fired?

stuckincincy
01-10-2017, 02:03 PM
These QC coach jobs are nothing but paid work for connected children or connected friends , dumping off paying health benefits for that kiddie onto your NFL corporation and its' more favorable rates, and giving work experience to their CV.

The job is to look after the physical trash the multi-millionaire players leave behind, bus the tables, scour the internet for this or that positivr or negative tale about the team, owner or player.

Lucidvizion
01-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Sounds more like the job description for "Assistant head coach/defense"

Homegrown
01-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Where was the 'quality' in Mike Gillisee's unbelievably botched play that allowed the Jets to score 10 pts

To be fair, the "botched play" is completely on the player.... Gillisee's played high school, 4 years with the Gators, a pro since 2013 - that gaffe is all on him ....no amount of coaching can fix stupid

WagonCircler
01-11-2017, 02:29 PM
These QC coach jobs are nothing but paid work for connected children or connected friends , dumping off paying health benefits for that kiddie onto your NFL corporation and its' more favorable rates, and giving work experience to their CV.

The job is to look after the physical trash the multi-millionaire players leave behind, bus the tables, scour the internet for this or that positivr or negative tale about the team, owner or player.

My understanding has always been that it was more of a paperwork job, i.e. getting playbooks printed and assembled, printing materials for meetings, etc. I'm not sure that the "coach" part is an accurate representation.

Historian
02-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Kinda surprised Kim passed on her.

DesertFox24
02-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Rex had way to large of a staff, I wish her and the rest of the coaches success but we needed to trim the excess that Rex brought with him. I am just glad that he is gone.