PDA

View Full Version : Def Line Prospects Bills May look at

DesertFox24
01-22-2016, 10:13 AM
I took a look at some of the jets DL draft picks since Rex was there and the successful ones and found that the majority of his DL are between 6'3 to 6'5 and about 290-305 pounds. He then likes to have two DT that are your typical Nose tackles. I am under the impression that he would like Marcel to start as the NT and of the three backups I think Charles and that other guy will compete for the backup NT job and Kyle can play it as well.

I really hope Bryant and Charles are back next year as I think one will be a starter and Carrington will be good depth.

Starting DL I think will be Bryant/Charles at one DE, Kyle/Marcel NT, Kyle/Marcel DE. Marcel is athletic enough to play DE in 3 man front and so is Kyle.

Hughes will be a pass rusher and I am considering that to be an OLB, we need one of those as well.

So in no order guys I have watched and liked.

A'shawn Robinson (probably off the board)
Jaren Reed (probably off the board)
Robert Nkemdiche (hopefully off the board I do not want this guy bad character and repeat problem child in college, plus not as good as hype)
Austin Johnson
Jonathon Bullard
Anthony Zettle
Carl Nassib
Vernon Butler
Adolphous Washington
Chris Jones
Adam Gotsis
Matt Ioanndis
Delvon Simmons
Jihad Ward
Joel Heath
Darius Latham

There are several DE I really like that could maybe play on DL but I think better OLBs now (Lawson, Dodd, etc...) over 6'3 and about 275, if they bulk up to 285+ could be option as well. Rex did well with pass rush DTs Richardson and Wilkerson. Marcel can be one of those need another and another pass rusher.

DesertFox24
01-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Any comments at all? Of course there are some studs on that list and some late round depth players. Wondering if any mid round guys that people think could be real good.

I for one think if we could get Joel Heath in round 4 or 5 he could potentially become a starter. Chris Jones is another nice prospect he is a second rounder but I would rather take him in round 3 he has some technique work ahead of him.

Night Train
01-22-2016, 01:59 PM
I could see a DL prospect at some point, with Mario leaving but I'm not seeing that as a slam dunk in Round 1.

LB (Bills need 2) and OT come into play. Safety at some point but not round 1, I hope.

Joe Fo Sho
01-22-2016, 02:05 PM
I don't know nearly enough about any of these guys to add anything of substance. My only issue would be that we had a top DL in 2014 with each player locked up for the foreseeable future. It's rather upsetting that we might draft a D-Lineman in the 1st round when we have other needs that I think are more important, like LB and OL. I'd be fine taking a D-Lineman in the 3rd round or later. The Bills never do what I think they should, so I've come to expect to be surprised when they turn in their card. If there's a guy that fits Rex's system, then I guess we they'll take him, as Rex is clearly not willing to run a system that fits the players we have.

YardRat
01-22-2016, 03:05 PM
They need a space eating monster in the middle...leave Dareus at one end, I could live with Bryant/Charles/Carrington at the other. Kyle should be there also. We have plenty of guys that can play DE in a three man front, but nobody to man the middle.

Mace
01-22-2016, 04:52 PM
They need a space eating monster in the middle...

...who can drop into coverage.

I want to get excited about some of the guys on that list, but I honestly don't expect them to draft anyone I'd get excited about. I know what I think they need, and it won't match what Whaley/Ryan think they need. Remember, Ryan figures he coaches people up, and Whaley grabs shinies and sticks with his previous picks like glue. So to me that means they get a safety, then a wr, or a wr then a safety in the first two rounds.

After that, I dunno. Not even sure of that if Whaley inexplicably sees an available TE or RB he wants, or a CB he thinks is his best value.

I love the draft lead up, window shopping and all, but I'm not feeling any enthusiasm because I don't even trust this team to do the obvious right thing anymore.

DesertFox24
01-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Well I will say this no matter who they draft they deserve benefit of the doubt. Whaley has done well.

Mace
01-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Well I will say this no matter who they draft they deserve benefit of the doubt. Whaley has done well.

I'd still disagree about Whaley, but I'd sure like me one a them linemen anyway. Bullard could be a younger Kyle, or Ioannidis. Any of the top 3 slip lower, I'd grab them.

Turf
01-22-2016, 06:34 PM
We need another 300LB DT to play cover 4. Our biggest need.

k-oneputt
01-23-2016, 10:12 AM
A'Shawn Robinson would be the ideal pick imo.

stuckincincy
01-23-2016, 05:47 PM
I took a look at some of the jets DL draft picks since Rex was there and the successful ones and found that the majority of his DL are between 6'3 to 6'5 and about 290-305 pounds. He then likes to have two DT that are your typical Nose tackles. I am under the impression that he would like Marcel to start as the NT and of the three backups I think Charles and that other guy will compete for the backup NT job and Kyle can play it as well.

I really hope Bryant and Charles are back next year as I think one will be a starter and Carrington will be good depth.

Starting DL I think will be Bryant/Charles at one DE, Kyle/Marcel NT, Kyle/Marcel DE. Marcel is athletic enough to play DE in 3 man front and so is Kyle.

Hughes will be a pass rusher and I am considering that to be an OLB, we need one of those as well.

So in no order guys I have watched and liked.

A'shawn Robinson (probably off the board)
Jaren Reed (probably off the board)
Robert Nkemdiche (hopefully off the board I do not want this guy bad character and repeat problem child in college, plus not as good as hype)
Austin Johnson
Jonathon Bullard
Anthony Zettle
Carl Nassib
Vernon Butler
Adolphous Washington
Chris Jones
Adam Gotsis
Matt Ioanndis
Delvon Simmons
Jihad Ward
Joel Heath
Darius Latham

There are several DE I really like that could maybe play on DL but I think better OLBs now (Lawson, Dodd, etc...) over 6'3 and about 275, if they bulk up to 285+ could be option as well. Rex did well with pass rush DTs Richardson and Wilkerson. Marcel can be one of those need another and another pass rusher.

Good post. I've been critical of BUF for the past several years for not drafting into the DT spot. You really need to develop some reliable "fresh legs" on the bench to beep up interior pressure.

Mace
01-23-2016, 06:03 PM
You really need to develop some reliable "fresh legs" on the bench to beep up interior pressure.

Well most teams would, but we need better pass coverage DT's to take the pressure off of our pass rush db's. You forgot we have a defensive genius.

YardRat
01-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Whaley has yet to draft a defensive lineman for Buffalo...ever.

2013-QB-WR-ILB-WR-S-S-PK-TE
2014-WR-OT-ILB-CB-G-OLB-OT
2015-CB-G-RB-OLB-TE-WR

21 picks---8 offensive skill positions, 4 dbacks, 4 lbers, 4 olinemen, 1 kicker.

Wryan's last three years in NYJ--

2012-DE-WR-OLB-S-RB-G-S-WR
2013-CB-DT-QB-G-G-G-FB
2014-S-TE-CB-WR-WR-OT-ILB-CB-WR-DE-QB-OLB

Wrecks has taken three dlinemen, two in the first round...one a bust. 27 picks total. 10 offensive skill positions, 6 dbacks, 5 olinemen, 3 dlinemen, 3 lbers.

48 total picks, one dlineman that is decent. If they pick a dlineman, it will be bucking a trend. If they get one that is actually a player, it will be a minor miracle.

Mace
01-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Whaley has yet to draft a defensive lineman for Buffalo...ever.

He didn't really do too good in drafting offensive ones either. It's probably a problem with his way of looking at things imho, not like Rex won't cover him in his ability to um, coach people up.

stuckincincy
01-23-2016, 07:34 PM
He didn't really do too good in drafting offensive ones either. It's probably a problem with his way of looking at things imho, not like Rex won't cover him in his ability to um, coach people up.

If you are scouting-challenged regarding OL, draft Iowa, Missouri, and Wisconsin players.

Mace
01-23-2016, 08:13 PM
If you are scouting-challenged regarding OL, draft Iowa, Missouri, and Wisconsin players.

You'd think.

ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2016, 11:17 AM
They need a space eating monster in the middle...leave Dareus at one end, I could live with Bryant/Charles/Carrington at the other. Kyle should be there also. We have plenty of guys that can play DE in a three man front, but nobody to man the middle.

Kyle is the only one of those three with that consistent quickness/anticipation at the snap to be an effective 3-4 DE. All three of them have the size to fill that spot but they are all 4-3 DT's in the way they play.

YardRat
01-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Kyle is the only one of those three with that consistent quickness/anticipation at the snap to be an effective 3-4 DE. All three of them have the size to fill that spot but they are all 4-3 DT's in the way they play.

Bryant and Charles certainly aren't ideal, but still good for depth...Carrington fits the position pretty well if he could only stay healthy. Get a real NT, surround him with Dareus and Kyle, get a 34 DE next season when KW moves out to pasture. Truth be known, Bryant and Charles' effectiveness is mostly reliant on what's expected of them with the scheme, and IMO a simplified scheme would help.

ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Perhaps. The good thing about this draft is the depth of D-linemen and LB's. On another note, I like Ogbah, who is missing from this list.

DesertFox24
01-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Perhaps. The good thing about this draft is the depth of D-linemen and LB's. On another note, I like Ogbah, who is missing from this list.

Ogbah I do like is a pass rusher in my mind, this list is strictly 34 DL prospects. I consider Hughes more of an OLB and that position to be the pass rusher. List coming

Mace
01-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Bryant and Charles certainly aren't ideal, but still good for depth...Carrington fits the position pretty well if he could only stay healthy. Get a real NT, surround him with Dareus and Kyle, get a 34 DE next season when KW moves out to pasture. Truth be known, Bryant and Charles' effectiveness is mostly reliant on what's expected of them with the scheme, and IMO a simplified scheme would help.

I think you're still stuck on a 2 gap traditional NT though. Ryan doesn't use them, because he seldom stays in 3-4. I was half joking about a coverage NT but half not. Ryan drops Dareus and Kyle into coverage as tackles, and remember, he's more determined now to fully put in "his" system. Dropping Dareus and Kyle into coverage wasn't his make pretend attempt to be flexible with what Schwartz did and the players were familiar with. That was Ryan all the way.

Now picture a two gap NT dropping into coverage...

k-oneputt
01-26-2016, 07:13 AM
Chris Jones -Miss St.

Is another dl I like. An early entry kid. I'm not sure where he is projected to be drafted. My guess is in 2nd or 3rd rd. He will contributed right away to whomever takes him.

DraftBoy
01-26-2016, 07:17 AM
Javon Hargrave of SC State apparently impressed a lot at Shrine Bowl practices last week. He's not ideal at 6'1, 309 but he's an option on Day 3.