PDA

View Full Version : How Did Wade Phillips Defeat Tom Brady?

BillsImpossible
01-26-2016, 05:13 PM
The Patriots have become a 1 dimensional team. They can't run the ball. Brady's arm is going to fall off.

For the first time ever, Tom Brady looked like he's getting older.

Broncos had the luxury of being able to pin their ears back without a legit running attack from the Pats.

Phillips took a page out of the Giants Super Bowl playbook and got a lot of pressure on Brady, but he also took away the short pass.

How'd he do that?

The Patriots just fired their offensive line coach.

What happened to the quick short passes from Brady that were supposed to make a pass rush useless?

Bills fans were asking how can a defense get pressure on Brady when he throws the ball in less than 2 seconds.

What did Wade Phillips do with his defense to prevent those short passes?

YardRat
01-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Cover three shell...zone under...when he rushed only three, two second-level defenders were in Gronk's area...kept all of the short quick-hitters underneath and with tighter windows. The reason the strategy was successful was the pass rush was able to get to Brady the vast majority of the time sending only three or four guys. As much as some like to point out BB's 'brilliance' in daring the Bills to run in SB XXV, Phillips gave Bill a dose of his own medicine and the cheater couldn't pull it off.

justasportsfan
01-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Rushing only 3-4 players

Novacane
01-26-2016, 05:36 PM
He had Von Miller!

Luisito23
01-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Having Von Miller, much better players and the #1 defense didn't hurt either.

BillsImpossible
01-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Definitely noticed a lot of 3 man rushes.

Is the key to beating Brady a triangle defense?

The 3 man rush creates a triangle.

What I saw in the Broncos secondary was interesting. They used a triangular coverage.

Anyone else notice how the Broncos were using a triangle of defensive backs to cover multiple receivers?

Wade Phillips was known to be quite simple in his approach on defense as a Bills DC and head coach.

His Denver defense is not complex and took less than a year to implement.

I didn't see any exotic blitzes, nor did I see the home team defense struggling to communicate because of crowd noise.

Hopefully Rex Ryan notices.

justasportsfan
01-26-2016, 05:45 PM
He had Von Miller!

We had Hughes but misused him

BillsImpossible
01-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Von Miller is a beast.

Mario Williams was never a beast.

Outside linebacker....

BillsImpossible
01-26-2016, 06:24 PM
In less than 2 minutes, Wade Phillips gives everyone a taste of what it's like to learn the X's and O's of football.

Keep it simple, stupid.

"We've come up with a simpler way, I think to identify formations."

That rings a bell or two.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p1935wB5ijw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

BillsImpossible
01-26-2016, 06:42 PM
This is so boringly simple I thought it was interesting.

Wade's been around the block more than a few times in his 36 plus year career, yet he comes across as a guy who many might think is the local high school football coach.

Wade speaks in simple plain English.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iupBixjjyZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

feldspar
01-26-2016, 06:57 PM
First of all, had the Patriots not missed that extra-point earlier, the game would have gone into overtime at least.

If they would have gone for the fieldgoal instead of going for it on fourth down late in the game, they more than likely win.

A simple two-point conversion after all that, and the game goes into overtime, where I would favor the Patriots winning.

The Patriots o-line wasn't doing the team any favors either.

Luisito23
01-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Wade Phillips is a very smart man...Too bad he sucks as a head coach, but as a D-coach, you can't get any better than him.

Night Train
01-26-2016, 07:51 PM
First of all, had the Patriots not missed that extra-point earlier, the game would have gone into overtime at least.

If they would have gone for the fieldgoal instead of going for it on fourth down late in the game, they more than likely win.

A simple two-point conversion after all that, and the game goes into overtime, where I would favor the Patriots winning.

Quit clouding the feel good story with facts. It's all Wade and the Wizard of Oz.

Oaf
01-26-2016, 11:44 PM
We should've demoted Wade to DC, demoted Gailey to OC, figurehead at HC and had a regular ol' hootenanny at Nix's place.

BertSquirtgum
01-27-2016, 01:13 AM
I should have blew a fart but I shat my pants.

feldspar
01-27-2016, 01:43 AM
Quit clouding the feel good story with facts. It's all Wade and the Wizard of Oz.

No way the Broncos would have won without Wade's defense, but the Patriots really shot themselves in the foot and really should have won that game. They went for it TWO times on fourth down inside Denver's red-zone in the fourth quarter...once from the 16-yardline, and another time from the 14-yardline. As you know, they came away with zero points both times. They wouldn't have needed that miraculous drive at the end (where they actually DID convert twice on 4th down) to try and tie the game. They would have only needed a fieldgoal to win at the end.

Belijerk the genius outsmarted himself in that game.

YardRat
01-27-2016, 04:28 AM

Can't argue with any of that, I agree BB did enough of his own damage, but counter that with another fact...Norwood makes a FG and Bill's strategy in SBXXV loses some of it's luster also.

Topas
01-27-2016, 04:49 AM

Revisionits history.
Everybody points out that the coaches take way too few chances on fourth down. There is a lot of analysis out there that backs that up. And Bellicheck knoew that his offense goes nowhere, so he needed a TD. I liked his decisions to go for it on frouth down.
I also like Arians. He is the same kind of aggressive coach.
But of course we Bills fans are used to punting on the opponents 40 yard line.
It is so easy to claim afterwards that he was doing the wrong thing after the conversion failed.

By the way, count me in the corner that thinks the famous 4th and 2 decision of Bellicheck vs Peyton was the correct one.

feldspar
01-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Revisionits history.
Everybody points out that the coaches take way too few chances on fourth down. There is a lot of analysis out there that backs that up. And Bellicheck knoew that his offense goes nowhere, so he needed a TD. I liked his decisions to go for it on frouth down.
I also like Arians. He is the same kind of aggressive coach.
But of course we Bills fans are used to punting on the opponents 40 yard line.
It is so easy to claim afterwards that he was doing the wrong thing after the conversion failed.

By the way, count me in the corner that thinks the famous 4th and 2 decision of Bellicheck vs Peyton was the correct one.

Revisionist history nothing.

I thought they should have taken the points both times AT THE TIME.

I can see why they did it, though, and was not surprised.

Victor7
01-27-2016, 08:14 AM
Just because Bill Belichick screwed up with those 4th down calls doesn't mean Wade's D is undeserving. They aren't mutually exclusive. If we are gonna be revisionists you can also argue that if Peyton and the offense had been able to muster anything in the 2nd half the Broncos win easily and no talk of the 4th downs is even brought up.

The hoodie blew it for sure. But give Wade and his D credit. They hit Brady all day, the stat is out there. He was hit 20+ times. More than any other guy the whole year.

The Pats didn't fire their OL coach just because.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-27-2016, 08:16 AM

Wade's defense played their balls off. The guy who's getting undeserved credit for beating New England is Peyton Manning. He played a horrendous game, and the Denver OL isn't far behind him on the naughty list. Wade's D took one of the best offenses in the NFL and held them under 20. One of those TDs came after a Manning/Hillman derpfest gave the Pats the ball on the 22 yard line and the other TD came after a 4th and 10 miracle throw to Gronkowski. They picked Brady 3 times, the first setting up a TD and the last clinching the game. The New England offense didn't have 3 turnovers in a single game all year.

Meanwhile, Manning's offense in the second half, trying to nurse or extend a lead:
3 plays, -5 yards punt
7 plays, 34 yards punt
3 plays, -1 yards punt
10 plays, 48 yards Field Goal (CJ Anderson finally breaks a run)
3 plays. 3 yards punt
3 plays, 0 yards punt
Kneel

Pinkerton Security
01-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Wade has the best defense in the NFL - thats how. 2 of top 5 corners in the NFL, very good safeties, Von Miller is a one man wrecking crew (and was playing against a backup scrub)...they have tons of talent. Wade did put them in right positions though. It didnt hurt that the Pats WERE forced to throw when their top 3 RBs are out and are relying on Steven Jackson who is about 700 years old

Bill Cody
01-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Bellichick got outcoached in this game by Phillips, and over reacted to his fear of Peyton Manning.

Early in Manning's career he owned Peyton but that has not been the case as much later and Peyton is clearly in his head even though he basically sucks now. Example: NE chose to receive instead of kick off when they ALWAYS defer if they win the toss, this in a game against the #1 rated D.

NE seemed unprepared to play against the zone instead of the man to man Denver mostly plays.

When you play against a dime defense the rule is run but NE hardly tried to run. Steven Jackson is part of the reason, their OL issues are also part. But part was just not being patient enough with it.

NE also failed to adjust when Von Miller was getting free runs on Brady all day.

Not kicking the FG with 6 minutes left was again a panic move which made no sense since NE's D had basically locked down Denver's O in the 2nd half. IMO this again was a "fear of Manning" move.

NE seemed to have a poor play for the 2 point conversion. They're double covering Gronk and Edelman and it's on the 2 yard line. You need a quick hitter like a slant or a shuttle pass.

I have little doubt if NE had managed to get to OT they would win. Brady was not sharp all day but he was also clutch on a couple 4th downs. Peyton was fading.

feldspar
01-28-2016, 01:22 AM
Wade's defense played their balls off. The guy who's getting undeserved credit for beating New England is Peyton Manning. He played a horrendous game, and the Denver OL isn't far behind him on the naughty list. Wade's D took one of the best offenses in the NFL and held them under 20. One of those TDs came after a Manning/Hillman derpfest gave the Pats the ball on the 22 yard line and the other TD came after a 4th and 10 miracle throw to Gronkowski. They picked Brady 3 times, the first setting up a TD and the last clinching the game. The New England offense didn't have 3 turnovers in a single game all year.

Meanwhile, Manning's offense in the second half, trying to nurse or extend a lead:
3 plays, -5 yards punt
7 plays, 34 yards punt
3 plays, -1 yards punt
3 plays. 3 yards punt
3 plays, 0 yards punt
Kneel

I watched the game and saw what happened, buddy.

Like I said, there is no way the Broncos make the Super Bowl without Wade's defense. But the Patriots didn't do themselves any favors with some of the decisions they made, too. I think they made those decisions based on the formidable Denver defense in large part as well.

Speaking of "Manning credit," I think he gets too much grief for choking in the playoffs historically, this year and the last Super Bowl he was in aside. A lot of those losses weren't his fault, really. It's a team game. I did a big write-up about that somewhere before with all the details, and I'm not about to do that again.

Looks like Manning is about done. They'll have to rely on mainly the defense if they want to be champions this year, it looks like. Will Manning retire tied with Bret Favre with the most regular season wins? We'll see.

Novacane
01-28-2016, 02:17 PM
We had Hughes but misused him

You are just a dumb fan! Rex knows best! Hughes may look good rushing the passer but his #1 strength is covering RB! His second best use is covering empty space!

swiper
01-29-2016, 04:35 PM

3 plays, -5 yards punt
7 plays, 34 yards punt
3 plays, -1 yards punt
3 plays. 3 yards punt
3 plays, 0 yards punt
Kneel

Had that game been played in NE, that defense wouldn't have even been close.

It's BS that the crappy Bronco team got in by playing watered down teams.

They are going to get pummeled during the SB.

Wade Phillips is not some sudden defensive guru. He's good, but he hasn't changed. And he can be beaten.

swiper
01-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Bellichick got outcoached in this game by Phillips, and over reacted to his fear of Peyton Manning.

LOL. Did you really just make that stupid statement?

New flash pal. Absolutely no one is afraid of Peyton Manning. Especially Belichick. And you should learn to spell correctly (http://www.biography.com/people/bill-belichick-20967651) so you don't look extra stupid.

feldspar
01-29-2016, 04:58 PM

New flash pal. Absolutely no one is afraid of Peyton Manning. Especially Belichick. And you should learn to spell correctly (http://www.biography.com/people/bill-belichick-20967651) so you don't look extra stupid.

You show 'em who's boss, Butch.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Had that game been played in NE, that defense wouldn't have even been close.

It's BS that the crappy Bronco team got in by playing watered down teams.

They are going to get pummeled during the SB.

Wade Phillips is not some sudden defensive guru. He's good, but he hasn't changed. And he can be beaten.

He's not a defensive guru, he's just got better talent now then he's had for years. He put them in a position to succeed rather than cramming an idiotic system down their throats like some coaches who shall remain nameless.

And the game would have been in New England if Brady and his crew hadn't horked extremely winnable games against the Eagles, Dolphins, and Jets.

Belichick wasn't afraid of Manning, he was afraid of Miller. He repeatedly turned down FG opportunities because he didn't trust that his team could drive on them again.

swiper
01-30-2016, 11:46 AM
\

And the game would have been in New England if Brady and his crew hadn't horked extremely winnable games against the Eagles, Dolphins, and Jets.

Brady had a shaky team around him this year. They do things on a shoestring year after year. They have to rebuild that team for Brady. Just as they are trying to do for Eli in NY.

swiper
01-30-2016, 11:48 AM
You show 'em who's boss, Butch.

Come back when you've got something to actually add aplite.

stuckincincy
01-30-2016, 02:30 PM
Pats were on the road and couldn't invoke their usual telemetry, and the refs were on notice for their season-long shenanigans.

feldspar
01-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Come back when you've got something to actually add aplite.

You go, girl.

Put me in my place, Butch.

I'm too intimidated to come back now.

swiper
01-30-2016, 04:56 PM
You go, girl.

Put me in my place, Butch.

I'm too intimidated to come back now.

How long does your momma give you with each internet session? 30 minutes or an hour?

BillsImpossible
01-30-2016, 05:19 PM
How long does your momma give you with each internet session? 30 minutes or an hour?

Was that supposed to be funny?

What actually is funny is how 75% of the gambling public is picking Carolina -6.

https://www.sportsinsights.com/betting-trends/nfl-betting-trends/

I think Wade's defense is going to eat Cam Newton alive.

Denver has the best defense in the NFL. Carolina had the luxury of playing against a lot bad defenses.

Anyone look at Carolina's 2015 cake schedule?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/car/carolina-panthers

15-1. Helps when you don't have to play teams from the AFC North, East and West.

The Panthers are overrated.