• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victor7
    • Jul 2013

25 years ago today ....

You all know what happened.

Can't believe its been 25 long years already.

Where were you when that kick sailed w... r....

I refuse to type it.
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: 25 years ago today ....

Happy Scott Norwood Day!

Comment

• stuckincincy
      Buffalo Bills Fan
      • Sep 2003

IIRC, Thomas was out in the open and should have juked for a few more yards. Or do I not correctly recall?
      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

I was too small, so thankfully I don't really remember...

The Cowgirls' games where the ones when I started following Buffalo and football altogether.
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• BLeonard
          BoB Sabermetrician
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
          IIRC, Thomas was out in the open and should have juked for a few more yards. Or do I not correctly recall?
          Not on the final run before the spike and kick... Not much more Thurman could have done... Giants were on all sides of him.

OT: I was 12, in my mother's living room. So yeah, I remember it. Upset that he missed, but wasn't as into football back then, so it wasn't as big of a blow to me as it would be if it happened today.

One thing I always think about when watching that kick... Why was the ball spotted on the right hash? I would think that Kelly's spike would have centered the spot, but apparently not. If that ball is snapped from the left hash, it's good... Possibly even good if centered.

-Bill

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

I was in college - year 2

The Mark Ingram play was worse and more maddening than that, as well as Hostelter holding onto the ball in the End Zone
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
              Making Spirits Bright
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
              One thing I always think about when watching that kick... Why was the ball spotted on the right hash? I would think that Kelly's spike would have centered the spot, but apparently not. If that ball is snapped from the left hash, it's good... Possibly even good if centered.
              I don't remember what happened as I was too young, but if the ball was spotted on the right hash before Kelly spiked it, that's where it would be spotted for the next play. An incomplete pass doesn't change which hash the ball is on, only running plays and completed passes/sacks do that.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

And it's entirely possible that Norwood wanted to kick from the hash - some kickers prefer to do that
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• pmoon6
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Dec 2002

Bill Parcells paid the Navy chopper pilot to come in closer during the kick. Where do you think Belichick got his bag of tricks?

Kidding aside, Reich didn't turn the laces forward. There was also an explanation on 30 for 30. Norwood was hooking the ball in practice, but when he had to make the boot from that far away, he gave it everything he had so it didn't draw back in.

I also think they could have run another play with 8 seconds.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Comment

• BLeonard
                    BoB Sabermetrician
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                    I don't remember what happened as I was too young, but if the ball was spotted on the right hash before Kelly spiked it, that's where it would be spotted for the next play. An incomplete pass doesn't change which hash the ball is on, only running plays and completed passes/sacks do that.
                    Yeah, Thurman's run prior to the spike was to the right.

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                    And it's entirely possible that Norwood wanted to kick from the hash - some kickers prefer to do that
                    Thought of that as well... But, I'm guessing Joe is correct. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that a QB spike would, in effect, "center" the spot for the next play.

-Bill

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

I was there sitting in the endzone. Sec FF, Aisle 62, Row 44, Seat 16.

Comment

• pmoon6
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                        Yeah, Thurman's run prior to the spike was to the right.

Thought of that as well... But, I'm guessing Joe is correct. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that a QB spike would, in effect, "center" the spot for the next play.

-Bill
                        No. The ball is placed in the same position as when he spiked it which was on the hashmark. If you want to center it, you have to run a play.

Nowadays, it depends on who the team is and who the NFL wants to hoist the trophy.

New England would get the ball placed in the middle of the field in the same situation.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                          Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                          • Feb 2013

I've heard rumors that the Giants were offsides on the kick

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I was on my hands and knees in my living room about 5 feet from the TV silently repeating 'One time...one time...'
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                              • Feb 2009

1) On the Thurman run before the spike and kick... if Al Edwards holds his block a bit longer the eventual tackler would not have caught Thurman and Thurman very likely gets another 7 to 10 yards..

2) Kenneth Davis theory is the chopper above the stadium was close enough that the wind casue the ball to hook more than it should have

3) Everybody remembers the "Mark Ingram 3rd and 14" but earlier in the d rive when the Giants were on there 15 or 20 yard line on 3rd and 8 Dave Meggett caught a pass 5 yards short of the 1st down and broke 2 tackles to get the 1st down

4) Andre Reed dropped 2 catchable balls on 2 consecutive drives in the 2nd quarter when the Bills were ahead 12-3 that killed momentum

5) On the 61 yard pass to James Lofton I don't think Jim made a good throw .. If he leads James a a bit more Lofton scores a TD instead of settling for the FG.. On a drive in the 2nd quarter when the Bills were ahead 12-3 on a 2nd and 10 Jim missed a wide open Keith Mckellar down the seam that would have given the Bills a 1st down at there 45.. Jim was off in that game

If Trent Dilfer was the worst QB to win a Super Bowl in the last 25 years.. Then Jeff Hostetler is the 2nd worse although Brad Johnson may be a close 2nd

Comment

Working...
                              X