PDA

View Full Version : The time John Candy tried to bring 49ers' Joe Montana to Canada

ticatfan
01-29-2016, 07:35 AM
As it turns out, John Candy had pretty sharp eyes, too.

Joe Montana famously spotted the funnyman in the stands just before engineering the 49ers' winning drive in the closing minutes of Super Bowl XXIII in 1989. The moment endures as a symbol of Montana's cool under pressure: a celebrity sighting one moment, a touchdown pass to John Taylor to beat the Cincinnati Bengals 20-16 the next.

The rarely told postscript is that Candy was something of a scout at Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami that day. He liked what he saw so much that he later tried to sign Montana to the Canadian Football League.

It's true, even if it sounds like the plot of one of Candy's movies: A trio of wealthy buddies -- Candy, Wayne Gretzky and Bruce McNall -- owned the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL and in 1992 wanted to make a splash by luring an established NFL star.
"When I mentioned to (Candy) the idea of Montana, he said, 'Oh, my god. That would be wonderful. We have to find a way to do it. How can I help?" McNall, 65, said in a phone interview.More...
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_29431180/time-john-candy-tried-bring-49ers-joe-montana