PDA

View Full Version : TBN Sullivan : Hey, Rex, send us a postcard

Mace
02-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Last week, it would have been nice if they were in the same place. Whaley was in Mobile. Ala., at the Senior Bowl, scouting college talent and, to use his words, “putting his nose down and working hard” to get ready for the NFL draft.

Where was Ryan, the man we’re supposed to believe is working arm-in-arm with Whaley to get things right? In Hawaii at the Pro Bowl, enjoying what appeared to be a nice vacation after guiding the Bills on their latest heroic run to a .500 season.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/30/hey-rex-send-us-a-postcard/

Story isn't about Sullivan in this case, I think he has a good point. It's a few days old but I've been thinking about it.

Does Ryan deserve some R&R, well everyone does, but well...

I think most coaches with something to prove, or driven coaches with concerns, would have been sitting there with the GM, comparing notes and talking serious football, probably with key staff members also. Serious coaches.

Reinforces my thought Ryan is oblivious, everything is fine. Has to be, because he thinks it is. I don't really agree with Sully that Ryan is resigned and uncaring, I think Ryan just doesn't see the need to care, everything is fine, because he thinks it is. I don't really see how he had the luxury of not being at the Senior Bowl this year.

Albany,n.y.
02-02-2016, 05:08 PM
He didn't have any potential veteran free agents to show his support for as he did at the Pro Bowl at the Senior Bowl.

This reinforces my thoughts that Jerry Sullivan is an a-hole.

justasportsfan
02-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Rexy's due diligence, scouting some Samoan players while learning how to Hula

Mace
02-02-2016, 05:51 PM
He didn't have any potential veteran free agents to show his support for as he did at the Pro Bowl at the Senior Bowl.

This reinforces my thoughts that Jerry Sullivan is an a-hole.

Wood is under contract through 2017, Taylor will write his own ticket next season, so you're saying he went to Hawaii for the sake of Incognito instead of scouting for Ryan men at the Senior Bowl ? That's dubious. I don't think there's any way you don't want your HC with your GM, heads together, over the future after your team came up notably inadequate in your honeymoon season.

Sullivan just pointed out the obvious. Which was obvious unless you're in denial, imho.

YardRat
02-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Wrecks is just here for the money, for himself and his cronies.

Mace
02-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Wrecks is just here for the money, for himself and his cronies.

Say, what did we bet about Chandler ? Unless he has a phenomenal Superbowl for a team he doesn't belong to, it's not looking good. Bet me something again next year and it's going to cost you some luxurious locks.

Joe Fo Sho
02-02-2016, 06:24 PM
I heard that fat walrus looking ass slob Andy Reid was there, too. Look for the Chiefs fall off pretty hard next year.

Mace
02-02-2016, 06:36 PM
I heard that fat walrus looking ass slob Andy Reid was there, too. Look for the Chiefs fall off pretty hard next year.

I'm getting the idea you do not have positive feelings for Andy Reid.

Joe Fo Sho
02-02-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm getting the idea you do not have positive feelings for Andy Reid.

Haha, actually no. I really like Andy Reid pretty much because of Donovan McNabb.

I was simply saying that I don't mind Rex being in Hawaii during the Pro Bowl, I was just saying it like a dick.

Mace
02-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Haha, actually no. I really like Andy Reid pretty much because of Donovan McNabb.

I was simply saying that I don't mind Rex being in Hawaii during the Pro Bowl, I was just saying it like a dick.

I used to love the Chiefs, waffle on Reid, but he was the right guy there.

They were 11-5 though. 11-5 maybe you vacation in Hawaii. 8-8 with offense selections you didn't have anything to do with for photo ops though means you get your honker back to the books and go to the Senior Bowl to work with your GM and make sure you're on the same page, probably once an hour if you are serious and want to catch up to Andy Reid, much less Bill Belichick though you talk about it an awful lot like it happens magically from one year to the next.

Joe Fo Sho
02-02-2016, 07:29 PM
I used to love the Chiefs, waffle on Reid, but he was the right guy there.

I think a big reason I like Reid is that he took so much crap in Philly, all while being very successful and making it to 4 NFC championships in a row. My brother in law is an Eagles fan and was constantly complaining about him. I was like...would you rather have Jauron? Or Mularkey? Or Williams?

They were 11-5 though. 11-5 maybe you vacation in Hawaii.

Reid was coaching the Rice Team this year in the Pro Bowl, that's the only reason he was there. I was being sarcastic.

8-8 with offense selections you didn't have anything to do with for photo ops though means you get your honker back to the books and go to the Senior Bowl to work with your GM and make sure you're on the same page, probably once an hour if you are serious and want to catch up to Andy Reid, much less Bill Belichick though you talk about it an awful lot like it happens magically from one year to the next.

Rex certainly has room for improvement, but that doesn't mean I think he can't take a vacation before the Super Bowl is played. The current season isn't even over, he's got time to get on the same page as Whaley. Just my 2 cents.

Mace
02-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Rex certainly has room for improvement, but that doesn't mean I think he can't take a vacation before the Super Bowl is played. The current season isn't even over, he's got time to get on the same page as Whaley. Just my 2 cents.

Fair enough. i guess my gripe is that we always assume Ryan has time for whatever, tuning his D, tuning his game management, tuning his roster, refining his ideas, adapting to circumstance, putting his nose to the grindstone, but instead you get toothy face time and more words while his GM is at least trying. I'm not a fan of Whaley, but he's at least got his nose in his work.

I mean you can try hard to succeed or dork around figuring everything is fine. I think last season put Ryan in the latter camp and I still don't think he's learned a thing or he'd have his face in every nook and cranny that he could to find an edge.

YardRat
02-03-2016, 04:34 AM
Say, what did we bet about Chandler ? Unless he has a phenomenal Superbowl for a team he doesn't belong to, it's not looking good. Bet me something again next year and it's going to cost you some luxurious locks.

The locks are not on the table, but IIRC I'm supposed to sport an avatar of your choosing for a month. You make the call, I'll don the pic.

Historian
02-03-2016, 05:22 AM
It was number one on my Fix Rex list: Quit jet-setting and get to work.

Everyone's allowed to take a vacation, and Hawaii in January sounds divine, but there's a lot of work left to do.

Number two on my Fix Rex list was Get on the same page with your GM.

I swear sometimes I think these guys are reading and plagerizing my stuff.

Night Train
02-03-2016, 06:34 AM
I sure don't want coaches being the biggest voice on the picks. Scouts have been watching these guys all year, not just 15 minutes from the stands in Mobile.

Remember 2006 when Jauron picked Whitner over Ngata. Let the scouts and Whaley do their job.

Joe Fo Sho
02-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Fair enough. i guess my gripe is that we always assume Ryan has time for whatever, tuning his D, tuning his game management, tuning his roster, refining his ideas, adapting to circumstance, putting his nose to the grindstone, but instead you get toothy face time and more words while his GM is at least trying. I'm not a fan of Whaley, but he's at least got his nose in his work.

That's what Rex is, though. We all should have known that, hell we ripped on the Jets because of it endlessly. I'm willing to give Rex another year to improve, I just don't care how he gets it done. Back in the day, when no one knew what the coaches/players were doing off the field or how hard they worked or if they got punched in the mouth in the locker room, it was pretty great.

I mean you can try hard to succeed or dork around figuring everything is fine. I think last season put Ryan in the latter camp and I still don't think he's learned a thing or he'd have his face in every nook and cranny that he could to find an edge.

The proof is in the pudding. Next year he needs to 'show us the baby.' If he is able to, no one will care if he attends the Pro Bowl. Hopefully he'll be there calling the plays for Team Irvin.

justasportsfan
02-03-2016, 07:02 AM
He does not need to scout. He'll bring in more jets players that got swept by Marrone-Hackett

Mace
02-03-2016, 03:33 PM
The locks are not on the table, but IIRC I'm supposed to sport an avatar of your choosing for a month. You make the call, I'll don the pic.

Shame, I'd have put up a finger or toe against your locks, I seldom use the extra ones anyway. Avatar of my choice for a month ? Might be you'd have preferred to sacrifice some locks from your plethora instead. Ouch.

pmoon6
02-03-2016, 03:38 PM
It was number one on my Fix Rex list: Quit jet-setting and get to work.

Everyone's allowed to take a vacation, and Hawaii in January sounds divine, but there's a lot of work left to do.

Number two on my Fix Rex list was Get on the same page with your GM.

I swear sometimes I think these guys are reading and plagerizing my stuff.I think Jerry Sullivan reads this board regularly.

I don't think he could right a complete sentence if it wasn't lifted from someone else.

And his articles mirror the general tenor of this board.

YardRat
02-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Shame, I'd have put up a finger or toe against your locks, I seldom use the extra ones anyway. Avatar of my choice for a month ? Might be you'd have preferred to sacrifice some locks from your plethora instead. Ouch.

I'll add something to my sig.

Mace
02-03-2016, 03:52 PM
I'll add something to my sig.

Hold on there lil buckaroo, I'll think on it or find the thread or something. No hurry. I won, I feel pretty relaxed about it.

Don't Panic
02-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Rex has one good year to get this thing right or he may be done for good, especially after bringing his brother along for the ride. His stock will be almost as damaged as Manziel's if he fails to make the playoffs again. It may be back to the DC ranks. It is all on him now...

All that said, he can spend his off-season however he wants. For whom the bell tolls, time marches on.

Mace
02-03-2016, 04:14 PM
That's what Rex is, though. We all should have known that, hell we ripped on the Jets because of it endlessly. I'm willing to give Rex another year to improve, I just don't care how he gets it done. Back in the day, when no one knew what the coaches/players were doing off the field or how hard they worked or if they got punched in the mouth in the locker room, it was pretty great.

The proof is in the pudding. Next year he needs to 'show us the baby.' If he is able to, no one will care if he attends the Pro Bowl. Hopefully he'll be there calling the plays for Team Irvin.

Yeah, proof will be in the pudding one way or another, but I admit my only hope for him succeeding was that he learned and grew from his mistakes, not that he'd double down on them.

I still agree with Sullivan. I wanted Rex to be working hard to make the best of this chance. I wanted to see him and Whaley sitting there together, serious and intent, comparing notes.

Ryan was soured by Idzik, you'd think he'd want to be involved this time, not care free. He came off looking goofy with this defense, you'd think he'd be driven to find Ryan men every chance he got, and be sure of them, taking every chance for input he could with the GM. He and Whaley are both supposed to report to Pegulas. If I were Pegulas, I'd say, so Rex, what were your thoughts on the senior bowl players".

"Great young prospects, a lot of talent there no doubt, I wasn't near a TV though to watch the game. Ever snorkeled in Hanauma Bay ? How are Doug and Rob doing ? Got to go prepare for the scouting combine, we're going to watch it from a chalet in the Alps. See you guys in the spring."

pmoon6
02-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Going to the Pro Bowl to drink wine and lay around the pool or going to commiserate with potential Free agents and make some player connections?

Maybe both?

Mace
02-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Going to the Pro Bowl to drink wine and lay around the pool or going to commiserate with potential Free agents and make some player connections?

Maybe both?

Well, we're talking about Rex Ryan though.

Yardrat, you lucked out, you only have to wear a Pats logo as your avatar for January. Hm.

You lost to GoobyLal and I, and used to be henceforth known as "The Man". http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/228625-Source-Chandler-to-Patriots/page5

Since you shamelessly ducked it in January (also known as January), only fair you wear your Pats logo proudly for One (1) month, from the date of adorning since you placed it in the official minutes of the BillsZone archives as an official action of the participating members, E Pluribus Unum, no trabajo no cerveza, no cerveza no bueno.

Victor7
02-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Turning the No. 4 elite ranked defense in the game into a cluster **** that stopped nobody earns you no vacations in my book.

To add insult to injury you hired your proven idiot brother.

Rex needs to get his ass back to Buffalo and start working on how to get his defense back into respectability.

YardRat
02-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Well, we're talking about Rex Ryan though.

Yardrat, you lucked out, you only have to wear a Pats logo as your avatar for January. Hm.

You lost to GoobyLal and I, and used to be henceforth known as "The Man". http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/228625-Source-Chandler-to-Patriots/page5

Since you shamelessly ducked it in January (also known as January), only fair you wear your Pats logo proudly for One (1) month, from the date of adorning since you placed it in the official minutes of the BillsZone archives as an official action of the participating members, E Pluribus Unum, no trabajo no cerveza, no cerveza no bueno.

**** me, this is going to hurt.

Feb 3, 2016...the countdown to March 3 begins.

Mace
02-03-2016, 05:26 PM

Feb 3, 2016...the countdown to March 3 begins.

Ouch. I even feel your pain, though it will wear off soon because I don't have a Pats logo for an avatar and I'm not your *****. Go Pats !

pmoon6
02-03-2016, 05:41 PM

Feb 3, 2016...the countdown to March 3 begins.Now at least you're a "winner"

LOL.

pmoon6
02-03-2016, 05:43 PM
E Pluribus Unum, no trabajo no cerveza, no cerveza no bueno.You sound like the Mezkin Wizard Of Oz.

Mace
02-03-2016, 05:59 PM
You sound like the Mezkin Wizard Of Oz.

You know, some people moved out and left a spanish-english dictionary and phrasebook, the tenants on both sides speak spanish, I'm having a great time making them laugh and they're helping me with pronunciation. I may actually learn serviceable spanish this time, finally. Esta habitación está sucio, hay que pintarlo, para hacer más dinero para la cerveza.

pmoon6
02-03-2016, 06:04 PM
You know, some people moved out and left a spanish-english dictionary and phrasebook, the tenants on both sides speak spanish, I'm having a great time making them laugh and they're helping me with pronunciation. I may actually learn serviceable spanish this time, finally. Esta habitación está sucio, hay que pintarlo, para hacer más dinero para la cerveza.I used to have a rudimentary grasp of Spanish when I lived it Texas, but I haven't used it in so long, I've lost most of it.

Still remember most of the cuss words though.

Chupa mi pelotas, pinche maricon.

Mace
02-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Mucho grande cojones, buenos noches.

DynaPaul
02-07-2016, 06:41 AM
Weird, I thought the coach was in charge of coaching and the GM was in charge of signing and scouting players.

YardRat
02-07-2016, 07:09 AM
Ideally they work together.

mdcas22
02-07-2016, 07:14 AM
not sticking up for Rex but it isn't that important that he wasn't in Mobile. they have film of the games and really might be a little easier to have Whaley say take a look at this guy or that guy and watch film on that individual and they will have private work outs so Sully is over blowing things but thats what he gets paid to do.