• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

OMG. The NFL going for title of "Biggest Douche Organization" EVER

NFL won’t pay man who has most of Super Bowl I on tape

No full recording of the original broadcast of Super Bowl I exists because in the 1960s networks rarely saved their tapes. But one man owns what is believed to be the closest thing to a full recording, tapes his late father made of most of the game, minus commercials, some plays that came right after commercial breaks, halftime and some of the third quarter.

That man, Troy Haupt, asked the NFL for $1 million for his dad’s old tapes. The NFL replied that it would give him $30,000. When Haupt spurned that offer, the NFL stopped talking to Haupt entirely, other than to warn him that if he sells the tapes to a third party, he’ll be violating the league’s copyright and the NFL will go after him.

more...

No full recording of the original broadcast of Super Bowl I exists because in the 1960s networks rarely saved their tapes.

So the guy owns what is the single almost complete broadcast copy of the first Super Bowl IN EXISTENCE... In what I think is a lowball... askes for a million and the NFL that made, what, 10 BILLION last year... says nope... 30k.

DOUCHE Douche Douche.
  • Turf
    • Jul 2002

Re: OMG. The NFL going for title of "Biggest Douche Organization" EVER

No full time refs, lowball the cheerleaders, no official ball handers, really a petty league with the millions and tax exclusions they have.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

Seeing that this is a piece of history and one of a kind... you would think the 1 million was WAY low of an asking price... 30k? Really?

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sukie View Post
        NFL won’t pay man who has most of Super Bowl I on tape

No full recording of the original broadcast of Super Bowl I exists because in the 1960s networks rarely saved their tapes. But one man owns what is believed to be the closest thing to a full recording, tapes his late father made of most of the game, minus commercials, some plays that came right after commercial breaks, halftime and some of the third quarter.

That man, Troy Haupt, asked the NFL for $1 million for his dad’s old tapes. The NFL replied that it would give him $30,000. When Haupt spurned that offer, the NFL stopped talking to Haupt entirely, other than to warn him that if he sells the tapes to a third party, he’ll be violating the league’s copyright and the NFL will go after him.

more...

No full recording of the original broadcast of Super Bowl I exists because in the 1960s networks rarely saved their tapes.

So the guy owns what is the single almost complete broadcast copy of the first Super Bowl IN EXISTENCE... In what I think is a lowball... askes for a million and the NFL that made, what, 10 BILLION last year... says nope... 30k.

DOUCHE Douche Douche.
        The NFL Network replayed Super Bowl 1 twice in the past few weeks. I believe they used what tape they had and a recorded radio broadcast(?). Did you watch it?

Comment

• sukie
          Seriously?
          • Sep 2012

it was a piece meal cut and past of the game. I didn't watch it. it is referenced in the article.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

it was a piece meal cut and past of the game.
            Right, which is kind of what this Haupt guy has. Only his version is better.

I didn't watch it. it is referenced in the article.
            I don't know anybody that watched it. I think that's why the NFL doesn't really care much about it.

Comment

• sukie
              Seriously?
              • Sep 2012

The haupt guy is missing a few plays after commercials aired but the commentary and play by play, for what he does have, are from the TV broadcast...

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

The haupt guy is missing a few plays after commercials aired but the commentary and play by play, for what he does have, are from the TV broadcast...
                Right, he clearly has the best recording of it, but I think he's missing almost half of the 3rd quarter.

If he had the game in its entirety, I think it would be a different story. I mean, what's the NFL going to do with the tape, play his portion of the game on NFL Network? They just did that, albeit a lesser recording, and nobody I know cared about it. I think it has sentimental value more than anything, and the NFL is not in that business.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Seriously? They'd make their money back in ad revenue on the first time they showed it on NFL Network. They could probably turn a profit if they sold it on DVD or iTunes.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    Seriously? They'd make their money back in ad revenue on the first time they showed it on NFL Network. They could probably turn a profit if they sold it on DVD or iTunes.
                    They'd make the same in ad revenue if they showed their "Top 10 People Named Steve" countdown, without shelling out $1 Million for the content that they already own.

You think they're going to be able to sell a DVD of 80% of Super Bowl I?

Comment

• Victor7
                      • Jul 2013

30 k !

lol

Now that is lowballing if I've ever seen it.

Maybe not give the guy a mill but seriously 30k ???

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                        They'd make the same in ad revenue if they showed their "Top 10 People Named Steve" countdown, without shelling out $1 Million for the content that they already own.

You think they're going to be able to sell a DVD of 80% of Super Bowl I?
                        If you just showed 80% of the game? No. Throw in interviews with the players that were involved, narration, etc, yes.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                          Making Spirits Bright
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
                          30 k !

lol

Now that is lowballing if I've ever seen it.

Maybe not give the guy a mill but seriously 30k ???
                          Ha, yes $30k is absurd. They probably spent more than that discussing how low their low-ball offer to this guy should be.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

$1 million is nothing to the league.

Imagine this: your friend who's an artist does a painting that you really like. It's the only one in the world. He says "You can have it for $10." You reach into your pocket fishing for change, find 3 pennies and say "I'll give you this."

It's a slap in the face.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              If you just showed 80% of the game? No. Throw in interviews with the players that were involved, narration, etc, yes.
                              You might be right, I don't know. I just know that I wouldn't buy it.

I wonder what the quality of the tape is. Not just the missing content, but the actual video quality. Television was pretty crappy back then, and I'm sure the video recording hardware just made it worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X