PDA

View Full Version : NFL creating a Rooney Rule for women

YardRat
02-04-2016, 04:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000632320/article/roger-goodell-nfl-creating-a-rooney-rule-for-women

"We believe in diversity," Goodell said. "We believe we're better as an organization when we have good people at the table. We have great people at the table ... We're also seeing it on the field. Sarah (Thomas) was our first NFL female official on the field this year ... and she did a fantastic job, and we're very proud of her.

"We also have people breaking into coaching ranks ... Jen (Welter) is the first coach last year in the NFL. And she set a trend, we now have a second coach of the Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF), a female coach (Kathryn Smith)."

Goodell announced Thursday the NFL will institute a "Rooney Rule" that would require teams to interview women for executive positions.

"You can see that progress is being made," he said. "And our commitment is we have something called the Rooney Rule, which requires us to make sure when we have an opening, that on the team or the league level, that we are going to interview a diverse slate of candidates. Well, we're going to make that commitment and we're going to formalize that we, as a league, are going to do that with women as well in all of our executive positions. Again, we're going to keep making progress here and make a difference."

DraftBoy
02-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Good.

And a pretty smart decision by Goodall to capitalize on this move.

Mace
02-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Hire someone really good and it doesn't matter anyway. Hire someone middlin' or not good, and well, we're used to that anyway too.

OpIv37
02-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Question: Are there a lot of women out there who are qualified to run a major North American sports teams who aren't getting interviewed for executive positions.

I get the Rooney Rule. Black people are overrepresented as players in the league compared to their percentage in the general population, but underrepresented in the coaching ranks. Given how many coaches are former players, it's clear that there is (was?) a problem.

Does the same situation exist with female executives who are qualified not getting interviews?

feldspar
02-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Question: Are there a lot of women out there who are qualified to run a major North American sports teams who aren't getting interviewed for executive positions.

I get the Rooney Rule. Black people are overrepresented as players in the league compared to their percentage in the general population, but underrepresented in the coaching ranks. Given how many coaches are former players, it's clear that there is (was?) a problem.

Does the same situation exist with female executives who are qualified not getting interviews?

I agree.

That's why we're both misogynists, right? Brace yourself for that backlash anyway, because this is what it's about.

Maybe the women will teach men how to box sometime soon as well. Or maybe it'll soon be OK for football players to break down crying on the sideline during the game.

stuckincincy
02-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Good.

And a pretty smart decision by Goodall to capitalize on this move.

He's ever the opportunist...

WagonCircler
02-04-2016, 10:27 PM
****ing insanity.

Where does it stop?

Do transgenders come next?

You interview qualified applicants. You hire the best qualified applicant. Period.

sudzy
02-05-2016, 01:23 AM
****ing insanity.

Where does it stop?

You interview qualified applicants. You hire the best qualified applicant. Period.

Come on, Wagon. Have you lived in America for the last forty years? When has the most qualified ever mattered? You need to fill quotas. You have people that have +10 points on civil serve exams before they even start the test. How does help find the most qualified person? The most qualified person that fills a quota.

DraftBoy
02-05-2016, 05:43 AM

Give me the negative to this rule.

ghz in pittsburgh
02-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Surprised the Pegulas didn't capitalize on this one and champion it. We'd have called it the Pegula rule

kscdogbillsfan1221
02-05-2016, 05:50 AM
****ing insanity.

Where does it stop?

Beat me to it. Next it's gays then transgenders.

LVGrown
02-05-2016, 07:06 AM
It is an interview guys, not the end of the world. It gives people who may not get the opportunity to showcase themselves. Nobody said they had to hire them.

Mr. Pink
02-05-2016, 07:14 AM
The Rooney rule is old and outdated now anyway.

You're good, you're qualified, you pay your dues, you get hired.

Hue Jackson isn't the coach of the Browns today because of the Rooney rule. Tony Dungy didn't get to become the Bucs and then Colts coach because of the Rooney rule. Mike Tomlin isn't in Pittsburgh because of the Rooney rule. Romeo Crennel didn't get to become a coach because of the Rooney rule. Etc.. All of these men paid their dues, moved up the ranks and showed their worth and were thusly rewarded.

30 years ago, it was a different story but the times have changed.

OpIv37
02-05-2016, 07:16 AM
Give me the negative to this rule.

Teams jumping through hoops to find a woman to interview. Women wasting their time interviewing for a job they aren't qualified for. Teams delaying a male hire until they can find a woman to interview and potentially missing out on that hire to another position.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree.

That's why we're both misogynists, right? Brace yourself for that backlash anyway, because this is what it's about.

Maybe the women will teach men how to box sometime soon as well. Or maybe it'll soon be OK for football players to break down crying on the sideline during the game.
To be fair, I'd gladly take boxing lessons from Holly Holm.

DraftBoy
02-05-2016, 07:40 AM
Teams jumping through hoops to find a woman to interview. Women wasting their time interviewing for a job they aren't qualified for.

So you're assuming there are no qualified women to interview for NFL executive positions?

Teams delaying a male hire until they can find a woman to interview and potentially missing out on that hire to another position.

Has there been any evidence to suggest that the original Rooney Rule ever had this effect? Why would this suddenly be any different?

OpIv37
02-05-2016, 07:53 AM
So you're assuming there are no qualified women to interview for NFL executive positions?

Has there been any evidence to suggest that the original Rooney Rule ever had this effect? Why would this suddenly be any different?
Because with the Rooney Rule, there WERE a lot of potentially qualified black candidates not getting interviews. I've seen no evidence that this same issue exists for female executives.

MillsapsBillsFan
02-05-2016, 07:54 AM

You're good, you're qualified, you pay your dues, you get hired.

Hue Jackson isn't the coach of the Browns today because of the Rooney rule. Tony Dungy didn't get to become the Bucs and then Colts coach because of the Rooney rule. Mike Tomlin isn't in Pittsburgh because of the Rooney rule. Romeo Crennel didn't get to become a coach because of the Rooney rule. Etc.. All of these men paid their dues, moved up the ranks and showed their worth and were thusly rewarded.

Actually Tomlin only got his interview because of the rooney rule, he impressed them and got the job. But im with you on the rest

IlluminatusUIUC
02-05-2016, 07:58 AM

The Rooney Rule is only 12 years old.

That said, extending it to women seems like a solution in search of a problem. The NFL is overwhelmingly minority among the players but overwhelmingly white in the front office and coaching ranks. There is no such disparity with women.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Actually Tomlin only got his interview because of the rooney rule, he impressed them and got the job. But im with you on the rest

Tomlin was not their first interview that year, Ron Rivera satisfied the rule. And Rooney is the Steelers owner, he would not have given it a token effort after attaching his name to it.

DraftBoy
02-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Because with the Rooney Rule, there WERE a lot of potentially qualified black candidates not getting interviews. I've seen no evidence that this same issue exists for female executives.

And we know this is true based on what exactly?

Again you're yet to provide an actual negative impact to this rule.

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2016, 10:09 AM
To be fair, I'd gladly take boxing lessons from Holly Holm.

I think there would be a lot of support to see you getting one on one boxing lessons from her.

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2016, 10:10 AM
I love the negative uproar over this.

Us hetero, white males just can't catch a break in this world. It's so unfair.....

OpIv37
02-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Questioning the necessity is hardly uproar.

OpIv37
02-05-2016, 10:38 AM

Because with the Rooney Rule, there was clearly a need. For this rule, no need has been established. I've seen no evidence that there actually is a pool of potentially qualified female applicants who aren't even getting interviews. Who/where are these people?

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Questioning the necessity is hardly uproar.
Wasn't talking about your questioning - look at some of the other responses in the thread.

Mr. Miyagi
02-05-2016, 11:03 AM
There should be a Rooney Rule for Asians as well. Hell, I want a Rooney Rule for Chinese guys who live in Wisconsin. This is an absolute outrage.

swiper
02-05-2016, 11:12 AM
****ing insanity.

Where does it stop?

Worse. Canadians. And Russ Brandon was the one who planted that bug in Goodell's ear.

DraftBoy
02-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Because with the Rooney Rule, there was clearly a need. For this rule, no need has been established. I've seen no evidence that there actually is a pool of potentially qualified female applicants who aren't even getting interviews. Who/where are these people?

You were the one who was making the assumption that they don't exist, you can't back track on that now and ask for proof of something you can't disprove in the first place.

OpIv37
02-05-2016, 12:13 PM
You were the one who was making the assumption that they don't exist, you can't back track on that now and ask for proof of something you can't disprove in the first place.

Actually my original post in this thread was asking if a need for this even exists and no one answered. So you are defending a rule without bothering to find out if the problem the rule purports to solve even exists.

sukie
02-05-2016, 12:40 PM
http://noclipmode.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/crackwhore.jpg

Thanks for coming in... the Assistant QA and player punctuality coach is a big responsibility. We will look at you rresume and get back to you.

DraftBoy
02-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Actually my original post in this thread was asking if a need for this even exists and no one answered. So you are defending a rule without bothering to find out if the problem the rule purports to solve even exists.

I'm simply asking you to provide anything at all to support your claim that a qualified group of women doesn't exist and/or to give an actual negative impact to this rule.

I've never thought or said that the intent of this rule was to correct some problem.

OpIv37
02-05-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm simply asking you to provide anything at all to support your claim that a qualified group of women doesn't exist and/or to give an actual negative impact to this rule.

I've never thought or said that the intent of this rule was to correct some problem.

So then you support a rule for the sake of having a rule. Got it.

YardRat
02-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Ironically, Buffalo had a woman somewhat in a position to possibly be able to take advantage of this rule, and they moved her from the front office track to the coaching staff.

LVGrown
02-06-2016, 06:50 AM
There may not be an overwhelming group of women at this time, but that doesnt mean there cant be in the short future. Just knowing that the NFL is taking women in coaching roles seriously will change the path many women will take. If at 18 years old I ever thought it was possible to work for the NFL outside of an office position I may have jumped at the opportunity to follow a passion that only men had the option of doing at the time. There are hundreds of men employed by the NFL who never stepped on the field as players but their opinions are highly regarded.

stuckincincy
02-06-2016, 01:58 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000632320/article/roger-goodell-nfl-creating-a-rooney-rule-for-women

"We believe in diversity," Goodell said. "We believe we're better as an organization when we have good people at the table. We have great people at the table ... We're also seeing it on the field. Sarah (Thomas) was our first NFL female official on the field this year ... and she did a fantastic job, and we're very proud of her.

"We also have people breaking into coaching ranks ... Jen (Welter) is the first coach last year in the NFL. And she set a trend, we now have a second coach of the Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF), a female coach (Kathryn Smith)."

Goodell announced Thursday the NFL will institute a "Rooney Rule" that would require teams to interview women for executive positions.

"You can see that progress is being made," he said. "And our commitment is we have something called the Rooney Rule, which requires us to make sure when we have an opening, that on the team or the league level, that we are going to interview a diverse slate of candidates. Well, we're going to make that commitment and we're going to formalize that we, as a league, are going to do that with women as well in all of our executive positions. Again, we're going to keep making progress here and make a difference."

Pfft. Yet another PR campaign. This one is to deflect the concussion bandwagon under the chimera that female big-boss employees will "care more."

pmoon6
02-06-2016, 02:00 PM

Us hetero, white males just can't catch a break in this world. It's so unfair.....Who ever said you were hetero.....or male???

DynaPaul
02-06-2016, 04:21 PM

Us hetero, white males just can't catch a break in this world. It's so unfair.....

SJW Alert.

mdcas22
02-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Come on, Wagon. Have you lived in America for the last forty years? When has the most qualified ever mattered? You need to fill quotas. You have people that have +10 points on civil serve exams before they even start the test. How does help find the most qualified person? The most qualified person that fills a quota.

and its these kind of things that keep the race card going, when people are forced to do things because of race or gender then it will never die.. football has always been a man's game, now we are seeing asst coach's it won't be long before there will be female participation. got nothing wrong if someone is qualified but when you are forced into something its wrong, when it comes to coaching in the league you say well there are not as many black coach's as white so it must be a race thing, wrong its all qualifications nothing more, you don't here people saying there isn't enough white players do we? its time to bury this race crap for good starting with being a democrat or republican, there is no difference when they tell you you must pick one or the other, when they do away with crap like that we might have a chance.

WagonCircler
02-07-2016, 08:40 PM

It's the stupidity, stupid.

DraftBoy
02-08-2016, 04:21 AM
So then you support a rule for the sake of having a rule. Got it.

No, maybe you should stop making grand assumptions that you can't support?

I support the rule because I think its a progressive step that ends any potential issue before it exists. It capitalized on positive PR, it makes the league look good, and there isn't any actual negative impact to any team or potential person. I assume it will be operated much the same as the current Rooney Rule where most teams will find an internal candidate to interview first and get it out of the way. Those interviews can become invaluable to those individuals in developing their professional skills and ability.

Again until you, or anybody, can actually provide a real negative to this rule you're just complaining to complain.

OpIv37
02-08-2016, 07:00 AM
I did provide you with several negatives. You dismissed them without evidence.

DraftBoy
02-08-2016, 10:48 AM
I did provide you with several negatives. You dismissed them without evidence.

No, you provided assumptions and guesses without anything to back them up. I questioned their validity and you didn't provide a response.

OpIv37
02-08-2016, 10:57 AM
No, you provided assumptions and guesses without anything to back them up. I questioned their validity and you didn't provide a response.

I questioned the need for the rule and you said "who cares if there's a need?" which is just mind-boggling.

DraftBoy
02-08-2016, 11:12 AM
I questioned the need for the rule and you said "who cares if there's a need?" which is just mind-boggling.

That's not a negative to the rule and I elaborated already on that point.

You also said it could potentially harm more qualified male candidates, and there is no evidence to suggest the original Rooney Rule has done that, so there is no reason to think this rule would cause any more harm that the original has.

OpIv37
02-08-2016, 11:40 AM
I completely disagree. Having a rule without proving that there is a need for the rule is a negative in and of itself as far as I'm concerned.

Show me that there is a pool of potentially qualified women who aren't getting interviewed, and I will change my stance. Until then, this is just a rule for the sake of having a rule. It's a publicity stunt to seem inclusive and nothing more.