• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Will Rex Ryan Take A Hint From Wade Phillips

and simplify his defense?

Before Super Bowl 50 started, I watched an interview with Von Miller talking about Wade's defense.

"Guys aren't thinking too much before the play."

Wade Phillips defense is simple. Players don't have to think too much before the play happens.

Rex's defensive scheme is too complex. The game of football boils down to players making plays, not deciphering the secret unknown and unwritten language of a defensive system that fails to keep it simple, stupid.
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

Re: Will Rex Ryan Take A Hint From Wade Phillips

Rex will be Rex and you'll see a major turnover in personnel
    the Rebuild Starts!
    Please Make Sense

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
      • Apr 2005

Not once did I see Ware or Miller drop back into pass coverage. The lbs never looked confused and the defense was playing on the same page.
      Then there's Rex's d ..... Oh well .
      I'll just sit back and wait till all the hype and glitter are finally washed off and the Ryans are exposed for the frauds they are and sent packing for good.
      Last edited by sdbillsfan2; 02-08-2016, 05:51 AM.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

I saw the thread title and I thought- "was the hint that Wade like Rex is not a HC but a good DC"?

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

After watching last season with our once dominant defense being coached by a proclaimed a defensive genius, i gotta admit i was confused. I didn't see any Denver Linemen or Rush Linebackers in pass coverage all night. Why was Von Miller rushing the passer every down? I though highly paid pass rushers were best in coverage like Mario Williams covering running backs. How come their DTs didn't drop into coverage like we had our DTs?

Yes i'm still bitter over last season.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sdbillsfan2 View Post
            Not once did I see Ware or Miller drop back into pass coverage. The lbs never looked confused and the defense was playing on the same page.
            Then there's Rex's d ..... Oh well .
            I'll just sit back and wait till all the hype and glitter are finally washed off and the Ryans are exposed for the frauds they are and sent packing for good.
            You weren't watching then. Miller was in coverage multiple times

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
              Yeah, exactly. There's nothing wrong with dropping Von Miller into coverage because he's really good at pass coverage. He picked off Tom Brady in the AFCCG, FFS.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                Yeah, exactly. There's nothing wrong with dropping Von Miller into coverage because he's really good at pass coverage. He picked off Tom Brady in the AFCCG, FFS.
                Exactly. I think Denver's D is the model that Rex Ryan is trying to build. They had lineman dropping into coverage often, and blitzers coming from everywhere on the field.

Comment

• Victor7
                  • Jul 2013

The dropping lineman into coverage thing is overplayed. For sure Mario is better of rushing than covering. Nobody will ever dispute that. But it din't happen nearly as much as some posters make it sound and its not the reason why our D sucked.

I do agree about the complicated part. Most players on that D have made it clear that our system has too many do and don'ts, adjustments and analysis pre play. This guys are athletes not scholars. Keep it simple and let them go at it. Its what Schwartz did and it worked perfectly. Rex has them doing too much of the stuff they are not supposed to do.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

Von Miller had an awesome coverage stop on the sideline against Cotchery. Someone send the film to Mario and tell him to buck up.

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

Who is Denvers punt catcher????

Comment

• pmoon6
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                        I was going to say the same thing.

Comment

• sukie
                          Seriously?
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
                          The dropping lineman into coverage thing is overplayed. For sure Mario is better of rushing than covering. Nobody will ever dispute that. But it din't happen nearly as much as some posters make it sound and its not the reason why our D sucked.

I do agree about the complicated part. Most players on that D have made it clear that our system has too many do and don'ts, adjustments and analysis pre play. This guys are athletes not scholars. Keep it simple and let them go at it. Its what Schwartz did and it worked perfectly. Rex has them doing too much of the stuff they are not supposed to do.
                          It seems silly that professionals, that have been playing football before their first pubic hair sprouted, are being asked to think and over think what has now become natural. Defensive Football. There seems to be some serious ego and over thinking going on in the minds of those that do not play on the field.

Phillips kept it simple and did what had to be done... All without anyone thinking or needing a spread sheet or calculator. See the guy with the ball running?... Get him. See the skinny guy trying to catch the ball? don't let him. See the guy droppin back after they say hike? get in his face fast. Too much over thinking going on. Keep it simple stoopid!

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                            It seems silly that professionals, that have been playing football before their first pubic hair sprouted, are being asked to think and over think what has now become natural. Defensive Football. There seems to be some serious ego and over thinking going on in the minds of those that do not play on the field.

Phillips kept it simple and did what had to be done... All without anyone thinking or needing a spread sheet or calculator. See the guy with the ball running?... Get him. See the skinny guy trying to catch the ball? don't let him. See the guy droppin back after they say hike? get in his face fast. Too much over thinking going on. Keep it simple stoopid!
                            Wade and the players even said they keep it simple. Rex knows better though.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

The Bills defensive players are all thinking the same thing after watching Denver's Super Bowl D last night.

"That could have been our defense."

They have the talent, but Rex puts his system ahead of the talent he has.

He seems like he doesn't care if a player is a square peg, he's going to force him in to his own round hole on defense.

That doesn't sound good.

Comment

Working...
                              X