PDA

View Full Version : I can't see Clay lasting another year in the nfl

Cali512
02-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Before this year there were talks about how in Miami he couldn't stay healthy and had to have his knee drained multiple times a game causing him constant discomfort and caused him to miss a lot of time. I counted 3 times last year where Clay got the ball to run and his knee just gave out. One was very very obvious in which he got the ball on the sideline then turned up field and his knee just collapsed. Between Shady, Harvin, and Clay, I truly believe we have to start over again with our playmakers. Mccoy had a nasty leg injury along with his arrest, Harvin always injured and last year just gave up. We need to litterally hit on 3-4 play makers this year. We need a TE with potential just in case this is Clays final year. A better backup behind Karlos if he's going to be our future RB. Along with a better compliment to Watkins. If there is a smaller fast WR, like Tavon or Desean Jackson, id snatch them up. Also I want David Nelson back. He put up the same numbers as Clay and was our most dependable WR on 3rd down. We sorely lack a big body on 3rd downs.

I have no idea who's in FA and the draft but for me an ideal senerio would be

Get a backup RB who's elusive (Sproles, Spiller style)
A small quick WR ( Garson, Tavon)
A big possession WR (Nelson) Boykin could be this guy even though he's not big, he's dependable on 3rd down
A backup TE (I'd love Mercedes Lewis, my fav TE)
A solid RT, unless Mills or Henderson picks it up
Guard needs to be settled between Groy vs Miller in camp
DE such as Antonio Smith
NT like Ngata
For LBs I don't know. We have 2 MLBs that struggled. We need a starter, move Brown to second ILB, then maybe move Bradham to 3-4 OLB. Then have Hughes on the other side. It's either this or we need 2 LBs.

This off season has more priorities than last year sadly

Victor7
02-09-2016, 10:21 AM
He didn't really get hurt until late in the year.

He was very underwhelming though. I do think however that Taylor's reluctance to throw over the middle has a part on that. Not excusing Clay in any sense by the way. when you get paid like that you gotta bring it no excuses. But I do think he was under targeted if that makes any sense.

Cali512
02-09-2016, 10:31 AM
The thing is its his knee that kept him out of half his snaps. He barely was on the field even though he played every game. His knee is a lingering issue

Luisito23
02-09-2016, 12:22 PM
To me, he was just another useless and expensive signing...

We'll see what happens next year, but I expect him to continue to miss games and be a ghost on the field.

dasaybz
02-09-2016, 12:24 PM
To me, he was just another useless and expensive signing...

We'll see what happens next year, but I expect him to continue to miss games and be a ghost on the field.

I thought he played really well this year. I think he finally disappeared after he was banged up a bit ... but I have no problem with him at all. More weapons for Tyrod is a good thing ...

Mr. Miyagi
02-09-2016, 01:19 PM
For all the hoopla we went through to outbid Miami and Cleveland to land Clay, he sure hasn't been worth the trouble.

dasaybz
02-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Do you honestly think there was that much trouble in signing him?

YardRat
02-09-2016, 03:33 PM
They shot their wad on offense last season, this year's focus is fixing the defense Wrecks ****ed up.

Victor7
02-09-2016, 03:47 PM
The thing is its his knee that kept him out of half his snaps. He barely was on the field even though he played every game. His knee is a lingering issue

Did he really miss a lot of snaps ?? Honest question. I don't really know.

Victor7
02-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Do you honestly think there was that much trouble in signing him?

Agreed. Not much trouble when all you need to do is offer the most coin. We just outbid them. Not outmuscle or outwit them at all.

EDS
02-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Did he really miss a lot of snaps ?? Honest question. I don't really know.

He missed the last 3 or 4 games of the season, but otherwise played extensively before being hurt.

Victor7
02-09-2016, 04:24 PM
He missed the last 3 or 4 games of the season, but otherwise played extensively before being hurt.

Yeah I know that. But the thread's poster said he also missed snaps in games he played. I don't remember that.

swiper
02-09-2016, 04:38 PM
He didn't have a great body of work to begin with. Especially to shell out that kind of cash.

He was hurt before the Bills signed him. Then he got hurt again.

He showed well early then got hurt again and faded to nothing.

The Dolphins look smarter than the Bills at this point.

pmoon6
02-09-2016, 05:05 PM
The Dolphins look smarter than the Bills at this point.Yeah, they are so smart they had to fire two coaches in one year. They also signed Tannyhill to a big contract extension. Roughly 18 million a year.

Mace
02-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Get little Gronk. He's little Gronk, but a Gronk. H-back type. Should be there in the middle rounds.

Oaf
02-09-2016, 05:16 PM
I thought he played really well this year. I think he finally disappeared after he was banged up a bit ... but I have no problem with him at all. More weapons for Tyrod is a good thing ...

Tyrod doesn't throw the deep middle. And you guys realize TEs do more than just catch the ball, right? Clay's the best TE we've had in years, perhaps ever.

Yes, I realize that's not saying much.

Mace
02-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Tyrod doesn't throw the deep middle. And you guys realize TEs do more than just catch the ball, right? Clay's the best TE we've had in years, perhaps ever.

He really is, but he's another one of Whaley's not durable guys at durability positions.

Oaf
02-09-2016, 07:57 PM
He really is, but he's another one of Whaley's not durable guys at durability positions.

Guy played like 95% of snaps in games he was active. Him and Watkins didn't come off the field when healthy. If he misses more than 3-4 games next year I'll be concerned.

Mace
02-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Guy played like 95% of snaps in games he was active. Him and Watkins didn't come off the field when healthy. If he misses more than 3-4 games next year I'll be concerned.

If you look through his injury listings (I did), he had an unspecified nagging issue during the offseason, was troubled in October by his calf, and ended up with a bad back, has a history of knee issues. This isn't a robust guy, and being on the field doesn't equate to being effective on the field. I remember McKelvin playing on one leg. He played the snaps. He actually didn't come off the field when not healthy. Lot of "limited in practice".

He's not a durable TE, probably a good time to note the pattern and become concerned.

Forward_Lateral
02-10-2016, 05:18 AM
He drops way too many passes for my liking. It seemed like he'd drop a big catch every game.

And saying the's the best TE in Bills history is a complete joke.

pmoon6
02-10-2016, 05:45 AM
He drops way too many passes for my liking. It seemed like he'd drop a big catch every game.

And saying the's the best TE in Bills history is a complete joke.Yeah, Tony Hunter is.

dasaybz
02-10-2016, 09:13 AM

And saying the's the best TE in Bills history is a complete joke.

4 drops is way too many? Sheesh, that's a little harsh isn't it?

sukie
02-10-2016, 09:19 AM

I hope Reuben Gant finds you and beats you with a rubber hose. You blasphemous dink sniffer. That's right... I said it. DINK SNIFFER. Only a sniffer of major dinks would dis puddin hands Gant.

Oaf
02-10-2016, 11:28 AM
If you look through his injury listings (I did), he had an unspecified nagging issue during the offseason, was troubled in October by his calf, and ended up with a bad back, has a history of knee issues. This isn't a robust guy, and being on the field doesn't equate to being effective on the field. I remember McKelvin playing on one leg. He played the snaps. He actually didn't come off the field when not healthy. Lot of "limited in practice".

He's not a durable TE, probably a good time to note the pattern and become concerned.

Okay, agreed there. I think if he's on the field, he's as good as advertised (though I wish we could've snagged Delaney Walker for less). If he can't stay on field, then yes, not a great move.

Mace
02-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Okay, agreed there. I think if he's on the field, he's as good as advertised (though I wish we could've snagged Delaney Walker for less). If he can't stay on field, then yes, not a great move.

Well it worries me, but let's go back to what you first said. I agree he's the best TE we've had in years, and let's hope he stays healthy and they can use him more. I don't think he will, but I hope he will. When he was ok and they were going to him, it was something to see.

It might seem like I'm waffling, I'm not. Frustrates me that we have a lot of talent not on the field enough, and keeps me from getting too excited about the potential.

Mace
02-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Regarding Bills TE's, here's a complete list of them from a fantasy football perspective :

http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/32-4-4/buffalo-bills-tight-ends.html

I would have said Metzelaars was the best. If you click on their names you get a better breakdown of their stats. We honestly had some decent role players, but there really is no powerful argument for anyone that I could see in terms of setting a standard.

Warlick maybe for his era. But that was his era. I don't know.

Oaf
02-10-2016, 11:08 PM
Well it worries me, but let's go back to what you first said. I agree he's the best TE we've had in years, and let's hope he stays healthy and they can use him more. I don't think he will, but I hope he will. When he was ok and they were going to him, it was something to see.

It might seem like I'm waffling, I'm not. Frustrates me that we have a lot of talent not on the field enough, and keeps me from getting too excited about the potential.

That's fair. But I do think his production takes a hit, and thus fan perception, because TT hasn't shown the ability to throw the middle really. He did it in the preseason which is the weird thing.

The Jokeman
02-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Before this year there were talks about how in Miami he couldn't stay healthy and had to have his knee drained multiple times a game causing him constant discomfort and caused him to miss a lot of time. I counted 3 times last year where Clay got the ball to run and his knee just gave out. One was very very obvious in which he got the ball on the sideline then turned up field and his knee just collapsed. Between Shady, Harvin, and Clay, I truly believe we have to start over again with our playmakers. Mccoy had a nasty leg injury along with his arrest, Harvin always injured and last year just gave up. We need to litterally hit on 3-4 play makers this year. We need a TE with potential just in case this is Clays final year. A better backup behind Karlos if he's going to be our future RB. Along with a better compliment to Watkins. If there is a smaller fast WR, like Tavon or Desean Jackson, id snatch them up. Also I want David Nelson back. He put up the same numbers as Clay and was our most dependable WR on 3rd down. We sorely lack a big body on 3rd downs.

I have no idea who's in FA and the draft but for me an ideal senerio would be

Get a backup RB who's elusive (Sproles, Spiller style)
A small quick WR ( Garson, Tavon)
A big possession WR (Nelson) Boykin could be this guy even though he's not big, he's dependable on 3rd down
A backup TE (I'd love Mercedes Lewis, my fav TE)
A solid RT, unless Mills or Henderson picks it up
Guard needs to be settled between Groy vs Miller in camp
DE such as Antonio Smith
NT like Ngata
For LBs I don't know. We have 2 MLBs that struggled. We need a starter, move Brown to second ILB, then maybe move Bradham to 3-4 OLB. Then have Hughes on the other side. It's either this or we need 2 LBs.

This off season has more priorities than last year sadly

The Bills don't have the cap room to go after guys like Lewis or Ngata. I would love us getting a TE like Fleener but he probably is too much money. The type of UFA we might land are going to be paid very little ie less than $1m per season and probably guys that could add depth ala Alex Carrington type role.