PDA

View Full Version : Is Stephon Gilmore Overrated?

BillsImpossible
02-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Gilmore's cap hit in 2016 is $11 million and change.

Trade bait? Anyone want that cap hit? Any takers?

If he's great, why not?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stephon-gilmore/

He's an UFA in 2017.

Is Stephon Gilmore worth the price to keep? I don't think he is.

http://www.nfl.com/player/stephongilmore/2533062/careerstats

Gilmore is going to command big bucks in 2017, but he can't stay healthy and averages less than 3 interceptions per season.

Ron Darby was drafted in the 2nd round.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2969920/ronald-darby

Ingtar33
02-12-2016, 11:06 PM
yes, in a passing league in which we are trying to build a pressure defense, lets trade away our assets. that will get us to the playoffs faster!

ICRockets
02-12-2016, 11:24 PM
Anybody who watched our secondary after he went down knows the answer to this question is a resounding no. If NFL teams haven't figured out yet that they should just throw curl routes his way on every down, they're not going to. Seeing as I consider that his only weakness, I want him on this team until he's old and gray.

Night Train
02-13-2016, 04:53 AM
We should just field a team with street free agents and save money.

:rolleyes:

Ginger Vitis
02-13-2016, 04:54 AM
Wonderful idea BI.. Trade Gilmore for 2 4th round picks and use one of the picks to draft a CB.. Use the other 4th rounder on a FG Kicker:boozer:

coastal
02-13-2016, 05:43 AM
The predator dreads add to his value.

swiper
02-13-2016, 06:38 AM
What next? They should cut Dareus and Hughes?

TacklingDummy
02-13-2016, 10:05 AM
What next? They should cut Dareus and Hughes?

Considering Dareus hasnt done much in the past 23 games I'd say yes.

And Hughes is just a penalty machine.

YardRat
02-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Dareus is a keeper...at least until this training camp when coastal will start a 'Marcel is Fool's Gold' thread about him.
Hughes, truth be known, probably should not have been re-signed...he's a waste of talent and money under Wrecks.
Gilmour needs to be retained, a team can't have minimal pass rush AND inadequate corners.

Fixxxer
02-13-2016, 12:02 PM
He's not overrated but he should learn how to fkn tackle. Two years in a row that he injures himself because of really bad tackling technique.

BertSquirtgum
02-13-2016, 12:10 PM
To answer the title. YES. Dude is more fragile than someone with osteoporosis.

BillsImpossible
02-13-2016, 03:48 PM
He hasn't played a full season since his rookie year.

He's going to command a huge contract in 2017, paying him at least $12 million per season and a hefty signing bonus.

I want no part of that. The Bills might need that money to (hopefully) sign Tyrod Taylor to a big deal.

There's something about the way Gilmore plays that bothers me, body control? When he gets beat, he looks like a fish out of water.

His tackling skills aren't great, as Fixxxer mentioned.

Antione Winfield was a much better tackler and a better, more durable cornerback.

http://www.nfl.com/player/antoinewinfield/2503765/careerstats

That's the kind of player you don't let go of.

I wouldn't cry if the Bills parted ways with Gilmore in 2017, especially if they draft Xavien Howard in the 2nd round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

Body control.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/630bK9OEDpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TacklingDummy
02-13-2016, 05:03 PM
With the 19th pick in the NFL Draft...the Buffalo Bills select Cornerback...

OpIv37
02-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Yes he's overrated.

But once again, why do you think another team would trade for an overrated player with an $11MM cap hit?

Mace
02-13-2016, 07:24 PM
I'd prefer to extend him and lower his cap to pair him and Darby instead of drafting another cornerback early when we sort of already have other issues to draft for. A press CB is dependent on pass rush, pass rush is dependent on players we need to get so we don't have to get another coach and replace even more people than we already shouldn't have to.

Ryan is going nowhere. Give him Ryan guys for his inflexible damn scheme already, don't replace people that fit it, and move this along.

And like Coastal pointed out he already has matured predator dreads. I don't want to have to have to go through another cb trying to mature his twisties into proper dreads.

justasportsfan
02-14-2016, 08:30 AM
We don't need him in this D where the 300 lb. DL are the ones who are expected to cover guys 2X faster .

Victor7
02-15-2016, 08:10 AM
Not overrated at all. He's close to a lockdown corner. If you wanna tell me 11 million is too much for a corner then that's another topic. But Gilmore is a very good player

What this team needs are linebackers and a safety opposite AW.

Mr. Pink
02-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Of course he's overrated. People here think he's great...read the post above...Gilmore is referred to as a lock down corner.

What he is, is an able bodied average NFL corner. Able bodied might be giving him too much credit as he's hurt constantly but when he's not hurt, he can play the position and he isn't a complete liability.

Is he a guy that deserves 11m a year? Absolutely not. Is he a guy who is going to think he should command top 5 corner money? Again, absolutely not.

However, he's still the best corner on this team and you should try and hold on to those type of players instead of creating more holes. That is not saying much because the corners behind him aren't anything to write home about.

Victor7
02-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Of course he's overrated. People here think he's great...read the post above...Gilmore is referred to as a lock down corner.

What he is, is an able bodied average NFL corner. Able bodied might be giving him too much credit as he's hurt constantly but when he's not hurt, he can play the position and he isn't a complete liability.

Is he a guy that deserves 11m a year? Absolutely not. Is he a guy who is going to think he should command top 5 corner money? Again, absolutely not.

However, he's still the best corner on this team and you should try and hold on to those type of players instead of creating more holes. That is not saying much because the corners behind him aren't anything to write home about.

I actually said close to a lock down corner (you know as in still room to improve). But don't let proper reading and comprehension get in the way of your posting.