PDA

View Full Version : Larry Centers is close to signing on with the Patriots.

lordofgun
07-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Does this worry anyone? Another back in the same division with a chip on his shoulder against the Bills?

Ebenezer
07-24-2003, 01:53 PM
I don't like it but it isn't going to keep me up at night either.

venis2k1
07-24-2003, 01:53 PM
I have nothing but good wishes to Larry, he should fit well in the screen happy pats game plan.

NewYorkCity Backers
07-24-2003, 01:58 PM
It bothers me. He'll do well in their short passing game scheme.

Pride
07-24-2003, 02:38 PM
well, until our coaching can stop their screen this REALLY scares me! What is worse? ASmith catching a screen? Or LCenters? LCenters can take a screen and make alot more out of it than ASmith...

Plus... as if the Pats needed more info on our Offense...

NewYorkCity Backers
07-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Wasn't it Kevin Faulk who tore us up on the screen pass last season?

lordofgun
07-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Yes it was Faulk. And I'm with you, BF1 and Pride. It scares me.

At least we have the talent to adjust to screen passes this year. :rolleyes:

MDFINFAN
07-24-2003, 03:21 PM
I can't believe any of you are saying you are scared of Centers after all the talk, when I bought him up as a missing piece to your O on earlier posts, what hypocrites...LOL.

Pride
07-24-2003, 03:22 PM
we wont miss him on our team... we might recognize him on the only team we feel can keep us out of the playoffs though.

MDFINFAN
07-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Pride
we wont miss him on our team... we might recognize him on the only team we feel can keep us out of the playoffs though.

Can I take a hit of that pipe? Must be real good.:dj:

NewYorkCity Backers
07-24-2003, 03:32 PM
MDFINFAN -

Your use of the term "scared" perplexes me. Larry Centers does not frighten me one bit in regards to games that will be played against the Bills. The Patriots play 14 other games, however. I feel Mr. Centers can prove valuable to their success and to their playoff hopes. Since the Patriots are in the same conference and more importantly the same division, the addition of Mr. Centers to the Patriots roster concerns me.

casdhf
07-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Hes no good, I don't care how aware he is and how good his hands are, the simple fact is that trey teague runs faster and Alex Van Pelt blocks better....no biggie

Tatonka
07-24-2003, 05:52 PM
that has been a grip of mine for a while.. we never run screen plays..

centers was just not needed here.. but the pats do run them like they are going out of style..

Tatonka
07-24-2003, 05:52 PM
i actually dont see him as a big improvement over faulk.. if any at all.. they still dont have anyone to run the ball.

Doc
07-24-2003, 07:10 PM
I loved the guy, but he's in decline, couldn't block, and thus was a tip-off to a passing play. Let him join the Pats and signal a passing play for them.

JefftheBillsfan
07-24-2003, 08:22 PM
the reason we wont miss him, is because he had no role in the offense. Not because we don't think he has talent and can be very offective MD

HAMMER
07-24-2003, 08:25 PM
From the standpoint of an impact on the Patriots gameplan I would be very concerned. Larry Centers is very smart, very experienced , and would provide loads of Intel to Billy-check. Not like Billy-check needs any more help putting a good game plan together against the Bills.

Look at the impact that Grudens knowledge of the Raiders offense had on the Super Bowl and it's outcome. Though Centers would not likely have as large an impact as Gruden did, it is concerning to me.
:pimp:

Dozerdog
07-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Great to have you join us, Hammer !

WG
07-24-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
that has been a grip of mine for a while.. we never run screen plays..

centers was just not needed here.. but the pats do run them like they are going out of style..

Originally posted by Tatonka
i actually dont see him as a big improvement over faulk.. if any at all.. they still dont have anyone to run the ball.

You hit the nail right on the head T!!

N.E. won't be able to run the ball and LC doesn't help that. They did relatively nothing to help fix their O this offseason. Their D will be excellent but their O is gonna be bottom tier.

Centers will help in that he'll give Brady another needed option to pass to. Centers may have 6 or 700 receiving yards again.

But w/o a good ground game, which N.E. simply doesn't have this year, they won't go anywhere relying on their passing game. D can win you games, but a rushing game compliments that. As well, D won't win you 10 games w/o some semblance of an O.

Ickybaluky
07-25-2003, 10:04 AM
The Pats aren't "close" to signing Centers yet, they are just having him visit (probably today). It wouldn't surprise me if they sign him, though. Belichick has spoken very highly of Centers in the past, and he would be a good role player for them. They likely wouldn't use him as a early down FB, but rather as an H-back type they can move around when they go to more spread sets. Similar to how Parcells used Keith Byars with the Pats and Jets a few years ago.

Wys, you have a point about the Pats lack of a running game, as it is a definite question mark. However, the Pats offense is much better than you think. Last year, the Pats managed to score 23 ppg, slightly more than the Bills. Granted, they tailed off toward the end of the season, but they had a lot of injuries at WR.

Everyone talks about the size of the Pats WR, but they have a ton of speed. Troy Brown is healthy again, Deion Branch showed tremendous promise last year and David Patten is one of the better 3rd WR in the league. With Dedrick Ward and rookie Bethel Johnson, they have depth and big-play ability.

Add to that Dan Graham, who looks like he is going to be a great player. He has great speed and athleticism, and has been a star of camp in the first couple days. He was nagged by injuries last year, but he now looks ready to bust out. He is a monster, and could show the kind of 1st-to-2nd year improvement that Todd Heap showed last year with Baltimore (similar player).

Add those kind of weapons with a good, young QB like Brady, and you have the makings of a pretty good offense. If the Pats can get their OL and running game in order like they did in 2001, they should be a very good offensive team.

Bulldog
07-25-2003, 12:36 PM
If the Pats can get their OL and running game in order like they did in 2001, they should be a very good offensive team. [/B][/QUOTE]

If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle. Thats a big "if".

Ickybaluky
07-25-2003, 01:08 PM
You miss the point. The point is, while the Pats have some questions at RB and they have more talent offensively than you think. The OL should be fine if they can stay together and build continuity, like in 2001. The RBs are basically the same.

They are a much better offensive team than won the Super Bowl in 2001.

BillsNick
07-25-2003, 02:03 PM
I wish Larry well, he's a true class act. I hate to see him go to a rival, but he is at the end of his career so I'm not that concerned about it.

Voltron
07-25-2003, 02:44 PM
NE39

Just ask any bills fan and he/she will tell you games can't be won with just passing game :up:

IT adds up to more INTs and bad feild position for the D. With out a running game you will have some tough games against US and Miami. Both teams have good secondaries that will have no problems keeping up with your recievers.

Good luck... If any coach can find a way to make things work it is Billy-check

lordofgun
07-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by NE39
They are a much better offensive team than won the Super Bowl in 2001.

They cheated. :D

Doc
07-25-2003, 10:26 PM
The Pats' O-line is a huge question mark. Their tackles are average, their OG's are aging or injured, and Woody can't shotgun snap. With that and the Pats forced to rely on Brady's arm, I see him getting injured again, probably sooner rather than later.

Ickybaluky
07-26-2003, 05:44 AM
The Pats offense is much better than you believe, and the OL should gel fine if they can stay healthy and together, unlike last year. They really have the makings of a pretty good offense.

Believe me, the Pats offense will be a lot better than you think. I is on defense they have more questions to be answered. They need to prove they can stop the run, and they don't currently have a proven nose tackle. I think they are pretty good at LB and in the secondary, but they need to show they can adjust to the 3-4 and control the LOS up front.

The Pats should be able to score, as they have their best offensive talent in recent years. However, they only will go as far as their defense will take them.

casdhf
07-26-2003, 07:45 AM
I agree with ya there. I'm not sure the pats will get enough pressure to save their secondary. Without a great pass rush, the speed of Harrison, Milloy and guys liek Ottis Smith will defeinately be exposed.

Doc
07-26-2003, 08:11 AM
That's a big SHOULD WRT the O-line gelling NE39. Again outside of Woody, who needs to be replaced when the team goes to the shotgun formation, there isn't anyone dominant. Light struggles with speed rushers, Jones and Klemm haven't proven that they're starter material despite being in the league over 2 years apiece, Mike Compton will be 33 by the time the season rolls around, Andruzzi is chronically (and currently) injured, and Neal is on the shelf for at least 3 months. Not only are they fighting injury problems, but talent problems as well. I just don't see them generating a running game and with the extra pressure to pass all the time, I don't see them being good enough to keep Brady healthy.

The_Philster
07-28-2003, 05:02 AM
FOXBOROUGH -- The Patriots yesterday added another option for quarterback Tom Brady, agreeing to terms with fullback Larry Centers on a one-year deal for the veteran minimum ($750,000) last night.

Centers, 35, is the NFL's all-time pass-receiving leader among running backs. The Patriots apparently were able to stave off the Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who also had expressed interest. Centers is expected to join the Patriots today.

Centers was considered a locker room leader in Buffalo, where he played the past two seasons. But the Bills did not re-sign him, feeling his best days were behind him. Centers caught 43 passes for 388 yards last season, bringing his career totals to 808 catches and 6,691 yards. Before landing in Buffalo, he played nine seasons with the Cardinals and two with the Redskins....

more (http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/209/sports/Centers_signs_on+.shtml)

Ickybaluky
07-28-2003, 07:25 AM
Again, the offense and OL won't be the problem. They are better than you realize. Woody plays OG in the shotgun, with Compton snapping. Light is a very good LT. Last year he was coming off shoulder surgery, but he is healthy this year and had a good offseason. The question is on the right side of the line, but they will eventually settle on somebody as they have some talent (K. Jones, Klemm). They just signed Brenden Stai as well.

The questions surround the defense. The Pats definitely upgraded talent and speed on defense, but they have a lot of young players that will fill a role in some capacity. The potential is there, but there are a lot of questions.

I have already been to camp and it is easy to tell the offense is ahead of the defense. The Pats should be able to score and ST remain solid, the question for me is: How good is the defense. That will tell how far they can go. Colvin and Harrison add a lot. The young CBs look good, but it is early. The LB corps is rock solid, perhaps the best in the NFL top to bottom. However, other than Seymour, they have questions up front.

Judge
07-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Does this worry anyone? Another back in the same division with a chip on his shoulder against the Bills?

No not at all.

On third and 7, count on Larry Centers to get you 5 yards.

He is not a factor, in my book.