DraftBoy
02-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Per Josina Anderson of ESPN

OpIv37
02-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Our 9 cents of cap space still won't be enough to keep him here

ICRockets
02-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Personally, I want to keep him because I still believe he can be productive in 2017 when he's in a competent defensive scheme. But the cap room we save by getting rid of him is pretty huge, so I think he'd need to take a significant cut to be worth keeping around for a season where he's not going to do much of anything.

Victor7
02-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Even if true I think him and Rex just don't see eye to eye. They've been exchanging swings in the media constantly.

Its over

don137
02-24-2016, 11:05 AM
I think he knows he is gone due to salary cap implications. He is posturing for his next team to make it appear he is a 'team player'. He was great up until last year. Can't afford half an effort.

Yasgur's Farm
02-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Release him to save the cap space... Then re-sign him to a $3M deal. If he wants to be here

stuckincincy
02-24-2016, 11:30 AM
I think he knows he is gone due to salary cap implications. He is posturing for his next team to make it appear he is a 'team player'. He was great up until last year. Can't afford half an effort.

You've nailed it, don. :cheers:

He's an 11 year vet. Yada-ya Ryan's scheme etc., but last season he contributed 15 solo tackles and 4 assists and 5 sacks over 15 games. That's poor performance for a DE who was in for 880 snaps - 81% of the defensive snaps:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-defensive-snap-count-stats/2015/

5 sacks - ok I suppose, but how in the world can you spend so much time on the field and have a measly 15 solo tackles and show up for a mere 4 assists?

Compare him to Carlos Dunlap, who had in 16 games, 37 solo, 18 assists, and 13.5 sack across 878 snaps.

Ed
02-24-2016, 12:53 PM
It all comes down to what kind of pay cut we're talking about and what the numbers look like. Mario is a good player with value, and for the right price I think we're a better team with him than without. But we're probably talking about a significant amount to make it work for the Bills. If they were really ready to move on from him though, and need the cap savings I think they would have cut him already. So maybe they are at least trying to keep him.

stuckincincy
02-24-2016, 01:39 PM
It all comes down to what kind of pay cut we're talking about and what the numbers look like. Mario is a good player with value, and for the right price I think we're a better team with him than without. But we're probably talking about a significant amount to make it work for the Bills. If they were really ready to move on from him though, and need the cap savings I think they would have cut him already. So maybe they are at least trying to keep him.

I don't think he's a good player. If fact, I think he's a liability who distorted BUF's draft strategy. Now, they try to figure how to not admit egg on their faces by their paying of a huge sum for a player that HOU was happy to see go and who had no other suitors wiling to pay a king's ransom for his services when he became a FA.

All that dough forked over came at the cost of other prospects and fiddled big time with cap management. Inking Mario at that price was dumb beyond belief.

feldspar
02-24-2016, 02:11 PM
I don't think he's a good player.

Lol.

He was first-team all-pro in 2014. Do you know what that means?

2nd-team all-pro the year before that. 4 time pro-bowler.

To call him not a good player is the height of stupidity, or at least bias. He did not have a good YEAR by any stretch of the imagination, and you can speculate as to why...but he's a VERY good player.

stuckincincy
02-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Lol.

He was first-team all-pro in 2014. Do you know what that means?

2nd-team all-pro the year before that. 4 time pro-bowler.

To call him not a good player is the height of stupidity, or at least bias. He did not have a good YEAR by any stretch of the imagination, and you can speculate as to why...but he's a VERY good player.

Why don't you go ahead and speculate about how keeping this character is a plus? Or perhaps addressing my other points that you conveniently opted to omit in your response as you quoted my post.

Nah - you have this modern "need" for attacking your little self-centered world, satisfied by implying I'm the height of stupidity. It's very much in character for the likes of you...throw swipes first thing first like the internet infant terrible you are.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-24-2016, 02:45 PM
I don't think he's a good player. If fact, I think he's a liability who distorted BUF's draft strategy. Now, they try to figure how to not admit egg on their faces by their paying of a huge sum for a player that HOU was happy to see go and who had no other suitors wiling to pay a king's ransom for his services when he became a FA.

All that dough forked over came at the cost of other prospects and fiddled big time with cap management. Inking Mario at that price was dumb beyond belief.

I think he's a good player who isn't a fit for this scheme. He was the leading sacker on some great defenses, but times change.

YardRat
02-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I think don nailed it. GR55 alluded to a comment about 'Wrecks meeting him half-way' as a stipulation also.

Mace
02-24-2016, 04:39 PM
May as well move along to the inevitable Ryan-guys at this point. There's no helping it and no other way to fix it. I'll aways wonder what could have been last year with that line though if they wouldn't have wasted their time on Ryan, but let's face it, no going back now.

Night Train
02-24-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm white as rice and he looks nothing like a family member....wait...

feldspar
02-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Why don't you go ahead and speculate about how keeping this character is a plus? Or perhaps addressing my other points that you conveniently opted to omit in your response as you quoted my post.

Nah - you have this modern "need" for attacking your little self-centered world, satisfied by implying I'm the height of stupidity. It's very much in character for the likes of you...throw swipes first thing first like the internet infant terrible you are.

You may be shocked to learn that I don't like you, either...

Mace
02-24-2016, 07:17 PM
You may be shocked to learn that I don't like you, either...

Hello "internet infant terrible", yesterday he called me "little internet tyke". At least you got called a better name.

sukie
02-24-2016, 09:05 PM
I think he's a good player who isn't a fit for this scheme. He was the leading sacker on some great defenses, but times change.
Schemes change is more spot on

BertSquirtgum
02-24-2016, 09:32 PM
Yepp. Let's get rid of a good player when there isn't an equal or better quality player to take over for him. STUPID.

ICRockets
02-24-2016, 10:30 PM

"WAAAA WAAAA it's so unfair that you'd discredit my opinion based on the incomprehensibly stupid first sentence of my post!!"

Tell us more about that White House you think is located at 1300 Pennsylvania Ave

X-Era
02-25-2016, 04:05 AM
He offers to take 5 mill per
We let him walk
Pats sign him for 4.5 mill per
Mario gets 8 sacks next year

MillsapsBillsFan
02-25-2016, 07:27 AM
I would only consider it if his yearly cap hit is less than whatever his dead money would have been if he was cut. So I would be fine with anywhere under 7 (which he probably wouldn't take). He's not worth the big money in a scheme he doesn't really fit in.

Edit: Actually his dead money is 5.4 after the new league year starts. Don't think he would take a cut that big

Bill Cody
02-25-2016, 10:31 AM
He offers to take 5 mill per
We let him walk
Pats sign him for 4.5 mill per
Mario gets 8 sacks next year

He'd have 10 here if he wasn't playing OLB

coastal
02-25-2016, 11:55 AM
:rofl:

tools

coastal
02-25-2016, 05:59 PM
His agent told him there isn't overwhelming interest outside of Buffalo and may do better by trying to con the Bills into restructuring.

Look at the list of mouth feathers here lining up for their favorite Russ Brandon garbage plate.

justasportsfan
02-25-2016, 06:14 PM
I hope he stays that way when we're fire Rex next yeat, we won't have to rebuild from scratch.

BertSquirtgum
02-25-2016, 06:35 PM
His agent told him there isn't overwhelming interest outside of Buffalo and may do better by trying to con the Bills into restructuring.

Look at the list of mouth feathers here lining up for their favorite Russ Brandon garbage plate.

No

YardRat
02-26-2016, 04:53 AM
WTF is a mouth feather?

DynaPaul
02-26-2016, 12:04 PM
I know a lot of you guys hate him but I'd like to keep him. I think once we simplify the scheme a bit to relieve the players he'll be a force again.

Lucidvizion
02-26-2016, 02:22 PM
He's smart and great athlete... but he's not a motivated football player. He just tries to skate by doing the bare minimum. Give him a heart and drive like Kyle Williams and he'd be an unstoppable beast.

I'd keep him for a backup salary, otherwise take a hike.

mdcas22
02-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Mario is gonna be a Panther next year.

Typ0
02-27-2016, 03:22 PM
I can't believe his being on the team is even a consideration next season....but 5.4M dead money to get rid of him? Might as well pay him $6.2M and use him situation-ally. I don't see it happening and think the talk is just media banter between the two of them trying to be professional and end up not being the bad guy....

Mr. Pink
02-28-2016, 03:18 PM
He'll go elsewhere, get around 10m per season and be back to the 35 tackle 10 sack guy he's been over his career.

pmoon6
02-28-2016, 04:01 PM
:rofl:

toolsI hope Mario stays with a pay cut for one reason.

To give Coastal and Blondie another year of enjoyment by extending his troll thread.

pmoon6
02-28-2016, 04:02 PM
WTF is a mouth feather?His favorite term is "mouth breather". He must have misspelled in his haste to be witty.

swiper
02-28-2016, 04:43 PM
He's smart and great athlete... but he's not a motivated football player. He just tries to skate by doing the bare minimum. Give him a heart and drive like Kyle Williams and he'd be an unstoppable beast.

I'd keep him for a backup salary, otherwise take a hike.

You hit the nail on the head. The poster who said that he's "not a good player" looks like an absolute tool. He got paid. And he started taking plays off. He thrived in 2014. He could thrive in 2016.

His restructure has to be incentive laden to work. Oh, and the jack@ass head coach has to use him correctly.

Mr. Cynical
02-29-2016, 12:55 AM

This