PDA

View Full Version : Rex yaps off again

Mace
02-24-2016, 08:33 PM
I kind of found it funny the ESPN beat reporter Mike Rodak (usually a rollover) was the one to point out the obvious. People just buy in to whatever Ryan says most often. Ryan just can't even keep his thoughts ordered enough to present a train of consistent logic. It's pretty bad when an ESPN guy notices it.

Ryan's comments Wednesday at the NFL combine spurred more confusion about whether the Bills' late-season success was the result of a compromise with players or Ryan taking a hard line and going "all in" on his scheme -- two seemingly conflicting explanations of the same series of events.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23835/rex-ryans-story-inconsistent-on-late-season-success-of-bills-defense

GreedoII
02-25-2016, 05:22 AM
sick of this ass clown.....

SpikedLemonade
02-25-2016, 06:19 AM
I wish he would just shut up.

Night Train
02-25-2016, 06:23 AM
So, what's for lunch ?

EDS
02-25-2016, 06:46 AM
Winning the hearts and minds . . .

Joe Fo Sho
02-25-2016, 06:59 AM
How exactly does this classify as Rex 'yapping off?' He didn't guarantee the playoffs or say he wasn't going to kiss Belichick's rings or anything like that. He was just explaining what happened at the end of last year and that he's excited to run his defense this coming year, nothing really new. He probably was answering a question that someone had asked him. How is this bad? Is he just not allowed to talk about anything anymore?

Luisito23
02-25-2016, 09:13 AM
How is this bad?

Everything that annoying idiot says is bad.

Joe Fo Sho
02-25-2016, 09:31 AM
Everything that annoying idiot says is bad.

Ha, tough crowd.

Can you explain in this instance how anything new that he just said will negatively affect the Bills? I don't actually feel that he said anything new. He's going to use his defensive system, everything up until this point during the offseason has been pointing to that. He brought in his brother and Ed Reed, two guys who probably understand his system as much as anyone. It's not realistic to think otherwise.

Yasgur's Farm
02-25-2016, 09:41 AM
I agree with Joe. Complaining for the sake of complaining. God forbid the rest of us being scrutinized for the words that come out of our mouths.

Bill Cody
02-25-2016, 09:43 AM
How exactly does this classify as Rex 'yapping off?' He didn't guarantee the playoffs or say he wasn't going to kiss Belichick's rings or anything like that. He was just explaining what happened at the end of last year and that he's excited to run his defense this coming year, nothing really new. He probably was answering a question that someone had asked him. How is this bad? Is he just not allowed to talk about anything anymore?

Did you read the article? The players think he finally just let them play, meaning they simplified things, and Rex comes back and says they went all in on "his defense"? Which is it? It's not an insignificant point. And as the writer puts it, it's troubling that Rex seems to change his own story. You seem to think it's all fine. It's not. Rex took a top 5 defense and ran it into the ground. I have no confidence in the guy. And why is it that it took 3 months for him to get feedback from the players? He acts like that's not on him either. guess what? It is. Rex is going to be added to the coaches Wall of Shame in a year. He stinks.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-25-2016, 09:52 AM
yan added later Wednesday to Buffalo-based reporters, "I tried to combine [defenses], I think, and that was a mistake. I think we have to be all in. It's kind of like being half-pregnant. Forget that, we're all in. We're fully pregnant now."

Even Rex Ryan is saying we're ****ed.

Bill Cody
02-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Even Rex Ryan is saying we're ****ed.

Yup. That D looked pregnant to me

sahlensguy
02-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Ryan told ESPN's NFL Insiders that when problems on defense first cropped up last season, he asked players what could be changed and all he heard from them was "crickets." Eventually, Ryan explained, he received a text message from a player -- not specifying when or from whom -- that detailed the issues players had with the scheme.

It's an explanation that meshes with the theory that prevailed most of last season: that Ryan tried to run his trademark complex system and that players struggled in picking it up -- even as Ryan declared in late October that he would "run our defense" despite players' concerns -- until it was eventually simplified into something more digestible and adapted to players' input.

Ryan suggested as much in a Jan. 22 news conference, saying, "I think [the players] finally realized at the end of the year that when I ask for opinions, when I ask for -- because this isn’t just me, I am not just, 'This is the way, I am ram-roading this system.' I have always had a system that relies on the players. ... But when I ask specifically, 'What do you not like? What are you uncomfortable with?' I finally at the end of the year started getting some answers. Like, 'Oh yeah, hey, some feedback. ]Yeah this, this, I don’t know what it was.' So, making adjustments on the sideline, I felt a little more trust as the season went on."

Yeah its the players fault for not raising their hands earlier and pointing out the obvious.

Stay classy!

Joe Fo Sho
02-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Did you read the article? The players think he finally just let them play, meaning they simplified things, and Rex comes back and says they went all in on "his defense"? Which is it?

Who cares which it is? It's not our place to know. Belichick keeps the media uninformed and he's a genius. Rex does it and he's a idiot. Why should he allow the public to know exactly what he did and what his future plans are? Let them wonder, good for him.

And as the writer puts it, it's troubling that Rex seems to change his own story. You seem to think it's all fine. It's not.

Uh oh, Rex is keeping his game plan close to his chest? What a jerk, get the muzzle.

Rex took a top 5 defense and ran it into the ground. I have no confidence in the guy.

This is news?

And why is it that it took 3 months for him to get feedback from the players? He acts like that's not on him either. guess what? It is. Rex is going to be added to the coaches Wall of Shame in a year. He stinks.

Time will tell. In the mean time, I'm not going to cry whenever Rex opens his mouth like most of you here. I knew what we were getting when he was hired, apparently very few people remembered making fun of the Jets for it.

Bill Cody
02-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Who cares which it is? It's not our place to know. Belichick keeps the media uninformed and he's a genius. Rex does it and he's a idiot. Why should he allow the public to know exactly what he did and what his future plans are? Let them wonder, good for him.

Bellchick keeps secrets he doesn't either tell 2 opposite stories or just lie. See the difference? Good.

Uh oh, Rex is keeping his game plan close to his chest? What a jerk, get the muzzle.
Is that what he's doing? I'll bet nobody but you thinks that. Rex can't keep what he had for lunch a secret.

This is news?
Not to me. Apparently to you though. You're bringing up Rex in the same sentence as BB. The only thing they have in common is they're both humans.

Time will tell. In the mean time, I'm not going to cry whenever Rex opens his mouth like most of you here. I knew what we were getting when he was hired, apparently very few people remembered making fun of the Jets for it.

Most of us knew what we were getting too that's why we were concerned. No time won't tell we know now. I've seen Caddyshack 12 times, still entertaining. But I wasn't wondering about the outcome for the last 11.

Joe Fo Sho
02-25-2016, 01:34 PM
Bellchick keeps secrets he doesn't either tell 2 opposite stories or just lie. See the difference? Good.

Belichick doesn't lie? What planet are you living on.

Is that what he's doing? I'll bet nobody but you thinks that.

What's the bet?

Rex can't keep what he had for lunch a secret.

Why would he keep what he had for lunch a secret?

Not to me. Apparently to you though.

Apparently it is news to you, otherwise why would you bring it up? We all understand this.

You're bringing up Rex in the same sentence as BB. The only thing they have in common is they're both humans.

I bet Belichick has a thing for feet, too.

Most of us knew what we were getting too that's why we were concerned. No time won't tell we know now. I've seen Caddyshack 12 times, still entertaining. But I wasn't wondering about the outcome for the last 11.

Why don't you tell me what the outcome of 'Rex Ryan: Year 2 in Buffalo' is? Since you know it already.

That way I can stop rooting for the Bills, stop watching football, stop discussing the Bills on the internet, stop wearing my Bills hat, and take the Bills plates off my car. I can be miserable and let the tears flow whenever Rex opens his mouth like you. How fun!

YardRat
02-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Ryan told ESPN's NFL Insiders that when problems on defense first cropped up last season, he asked players what could be changed and all he heard from them was "crickets." Eventually, Ryan explained, he received a text message from a player -- not specifying when or from whom -- that detailed the issues players had with the scheme.

It's an explanation that meshes with the theory that prevailed most of last season: that Ryan tried to run his trademark complex system and that players struggled in picking it up -- even as Ryan declared in late October that he would "run our defense" despite players' concerns -- until it was eventually simplified into something more digestible and adapted to players' input.

Ryan suggested as much in a Jan. 22 news conference, saying, "I think [the players] finally realized at the end of the year that when I ask for opinions, when I ask for -- because this isn’t just me, I am not just, 'This is the way, I am ram-roading this system.' I have always had a system that relies on the players. ... But when I ask specifically, 'What do you not like? What are you uncomfortable with?' I finally at the end of the year started getting some answers. Like, 'Oh yeah, hey, some feedback. ]Yeah this, this, I don’t know what it was.' So, making adjustments on the sideline, I felt a little more trust as the season went on."

If the stupid **** had actually done the teensiest bit of homework he would have known coming in what worked best with the players, and what they were comfortable doing. Dumbass.

sahlensguy
02-25-2016, 04:09 PM
If the stupid **** had actually done the teensiest bit of homework he w(ould have known coming in what worked best with the players, and what they were comfortable doing. Dumbass.

But nooo. It's the players fault for not letting him know.

I would hate to work for a boss like that.

DraftBoy
02-25-2016, 05:04 PM
All I got from this is that Rex Ryan has a sexual fetish for his defensive scheme and wants to impregnate it. Is that about right?

cookie G
02-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Yeah its the players fault for not raising their hands earlier and pointing out the obvious.

Stay classy!

If the stupid **** had actually done the teensiest bit of homework he would have known coming in what worked best with the players, and what they were comfortable doing. Dumbass.

Dareus was *****ing about his role during training camp, in the Buffalo News;
Hughes was making comments a little later, lamenting the loss of the Wide 9;
Mario was *****ing publicly since about the defense since...about week 2;
later in the year, people like Preston Brown started coming out...publicly;

But if you're now to believe Rex...he asked them all what they'd like...directly, they said nothing.

Uh huh.

He has the mentality of a sleazy manager of a poorly run company.

He changes a well performing process;
It predictably fails.
He does the "Im the one in charge so I take the blame" line;
but then immediately...attempts to shift responsibility to the underlings, making stuff up as he goes along.

After hearing something like that bad do you think a guy like Dareus would like to pound him?

Rex=the reincarnation of John Rauch. Google it :)

sahlensguy
02-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Dareus was *****ing about his role during training camp, in the Buffalo News;
Hughes was making comments a little later, lamenting the loss of the Wide 9;
Mario was *****ing publicly since about the defense since...about week 2;
later in the year, people like Preston Brown started coming out...publicly;

But if you're now to believe Rex...he asked them all what they'd like...directly, they said nothing.

Uh huh.

He has the mentality of a sleazy manager of a poorly run company.

He changes a well performing process;
It predictably fails.
He does the "Im the one in charge so I take the blame" line;
but then immediately...attempts to shift responsibility to the underlings, making stuff up as he goes along.

After hearing something like that bad do you think a guy like Dareus would like to pound him?

Rex=the reincarnation of John Rauch. Google it :)

Schwartz seemed like the anti Ryan. They loved playing for him. He coached to thier strenghts, while holding them accountable - without throwing them under the bus.

BillsImpossible
02-25-2016, 05:45 PM
Slow news day. I don't give a flying turd what Rex has to say until after Week 1 of the 2016 season.

Meanwhile, Mario Williams is looking for a real estate agent.

justasportsfan
02-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Why don't you tell me what the outcome of 'Rex Ryan: Year 2 in Buffalo' is? Since you know it already.

That way I can stop rooting for the Bills, stop watching football, stop discussing the Bills on the internet, stop wearing my Bills hat, and take the Bills plates off my car. !

The D will improve. It I'll be top 10-12.

Mace
02-25-2016, 06:09 PM
How exactly does this classify as Rex 'yapping off?'

yap(yăp)v. yapped, yap·ping, yaps
v.intr.1. To bark sharply or shrilly; yelp.
2. Slang To talk noisily or stupidly; jabber.

<section data-src="hc_dict">yapping(ˈjæpɪŋ)
adj1. yelping; barking
2. informal censorious talking in an annoying manner

n3. yelping; barking
4. informal censorious persistent, annoying talk

He persistently contradicts himself noisily and stupidly, I find it annoying. Hope I cleared that up. He doesn't even have consistent explanations for anything....like, there is one version of reality you can consistently discuss.

If you know anyone in your day to day life who is always talking, never has a consistent version of anything, always changes their stories, and contradicts themselves regularly......well, it speaks for itself.
</section>

justasportsfan
02-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Schwartz seemed like the anti Ryan. They loved playing for him. He coached to thier strenghts, while holding them accountable - without throwing them under the bus.

The DL played like the the top DL in the league. They actually were the top DL in the league. The D probably could've improved to no.1 in their 2nd year under Schwartz.

YardRat
02-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Slow news day. I don't give a flying turd what Rex has to say until after Week 1 of the 2016 season.

"Yeah, that was a disappointing loss. The defense didn't play as well as we expected. Can't win without a pass rush...guys were out of position...calls weren't getting in quick enough. But that's on me, we've got to do a better job as coaches getting these guys ready to play. Until of course, about week 10 when we're sitting on a 3-7 record and I start throwing guys under the bus again. After all, I'm a ****ing defensive genius, so it can't be me...right?"

Mace
02-25-2016, 06:22 PM
Who cares which it is? It's not our place to know. Belichick keeps the media uninformed and he's a genius. Rex does it and he's a idiot.

Well why do you read any news ? To know.

Belichick either says nothing, or flatly says something, then stands by it.

Ryan basically says anything. And seems to believe it. Then says something entirely different, and seems to believe it.

Dissecting last years miserable performance, when the defense is going to change, is irrelevant to giving an opponent an edge next season. It's simply explaining something. Ryan said exactly what his future plans are anyway, to implement a Ryan defense. Again that has nothing to do with why the defense performed bad last year, which was what he's trying to keep explaining.

There's no top secret game changing future info here. It's simply explaining what went wrong last year. He can't seem to explain it. He gave contradictory versions of it. One of them is a lie. There wasn't any point in lying. The guy is bizarre.

Joe Fo Sho
02-26-2016, 06:47 AM
yap(yăp)v. yapped, yap·ping, yaps
v.intr.1. To bark sharply or shrilly; yelp.
2. Slang To talk noisily or stupidly; jabber.

<section data-src="hc_dict">yapping(ˈjæpɪŋ)
adj1. yelping; barking
2. informal censorious talking in an annoying manner

n3. yelping; barking
4. informal censorious persistent, annoying talk

He persistently contradicts himself noisily and stupidly, I find it annoying. Hope I cleared that up.</section>
He was noisy? By this logic, since Rex was not actually barking, yelping, or speaking in anything other than his normal voice, you would say anything Rex says is considered a 'yap.' That's what I asked before, if he's just not allowed to say anything anymore. It's clear.

Joe Fo Sho
02-26-2016, 07:13 AM
Well why do you read any news ? To know.

You believe everything you read?

Belichick either says nothing, or flatly says something, then stands by it.

Or he lies.

Ryan basically says anything. And seems to believe it. Then says something entirely different, and seems to believe it.

He's not as good of a liar as Belichick, yes. That doesn't mean he's not trying though.

Dissecting last years miserable performance, when the defense is going to change, is irrelevant to giving an opponent an edge next season. It's simply explaining something. Ryan said exactly what his future plans are anyway, to implement a Ryan defense. Again that has nothing to do with why the defense performed bad last year, which was what he's trying to keep explaining.

There's no top secret game changing future info here. It's simply explaining what went wrong last year. He can't seem to explain it. He gave contradictory versions of it. One of them is a lie. There wasn't any point in lying. The guy is bizarre.

Explaining to the media what happened last year doesn't benefit the Buffalo Bills in any way, though. It can possibly have negative effects, but I don't see any positives coming from it. He shouldn't have to explain anything to anyone other than the guy who signs his paycheck.

Mace
02-26-2016, 08:37 PM
He was noisy? By this logic, since Rex was not actually barking, yelping, or speaking in anything other than his normal voice, you would say anything Rex says is considered a 'yap.' That's what I asked before, if he's just not allowed to say anything anymore. It's clear.

I bolded and underlined the applicable then referenced it in my comments ?

Like I said, it speaks for itself, if you know someone who talks a lot, changes their stories, contradicts themselves, keeps talking, they aren't going to change, they're of a type.

Belichick is consistent. Says something once, means it. If asked the same question, says I answered it.

Explaining a woeful defensive showing when he's a defensive genius and such is simple press coverage 101. I mean he's all about press yeah ? So he can't get his own story straight. It's because he can't.

He yaps.

feldspar
02-27-2016, 01:15 AM
I swear that I can't remember a Bills Head coach catching so much crap after his first year here.

Seems a little strange, since the Bills are picking lower in the draft than they have in over the past decade. Were expectations really THAT high this year?

Who really cares how the guy deals with the media? I'll pile on him with the rest of you in a year or two if things don't improve, but this show is just getting started. Next year is set up to be a pretty interesting one for Bills fans...more interesting than I'm used to.

YardRat
02-27-2016, 04:27 AM
'The show' was already two-thirds finished and looking like a potential hit when the new director came in and scrapped the script, booted the assistant director that was shooting the best scenes, replaced him with his own ****ing key grip, rearranged the roles of the actors, and ended up with worse ratings than the previous season. And I've seen other coaches get more **** around here before they even coached their first game, let alone get through an entire year.

feldspar
02-27-2016, 05:55 AM
'The show' was already two-thirds finished and looking like a potential hit when the new director came in and scrapped the script, booted the assistant director that was shooting the best scenes, replaced him with his own ****ing key grip, rearranged the roles of the actors, and ended up with worse ratings than the previous season. And I've seen other coaches get more **** around here before they even coached their first game, let alone get through an entire year.

...and then certain audience members lost about 50 points of IQ.

justasportsfan
02-27-2016, 06:17 AM
Were expectations really THAT high this year?

Defensively yes. Especially with the talent Rex inherited plus he himself yapped his mouth that created the expectations

IlluminatusUIUC
02-27-2016, 07:44 AM
I swear that I can't remember a Bills Head coach catching so much crap after his first year here.

Seems a little strange, since the Bills are picking lower in the draft than they have in over the past decade. Were expectations really THAT high this year?

Who really cares how the guy deals with the media? I'll pile on him with the rest of you in a year or two if things don't improve, but this show is just getting started. Next year is set up to be a pretty interesting one for Bills fans...more interesting than I'm used to.

The expectations were that it would be our first playoff season in 15 years. All the pieces were there on paper to make it happen: Elite defense, enough improvement on offense to at least hold their own, and a paper thin schedule against the two worst divisions in the NFL. And the things which kept us from that were right in Ryan's corner: ridiculous penalties over and over and a complete collapse of our pass rush.

So yeah, if someone takes over a unit that was among the best in the NFL, changes it to run things his way, and the result is a disaster - then yes he will catch a lot of **** for it.

pmoon6
02-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Well, if you're going to talk the talk, you better walk the walk. At least that's how I see it.

Personally, I'd let my actions speak.

However, this is the entertainment business. The NFL loves guys like Rexy. Maybe next year they can show a little appreciation and not call none existent fouls or actually call the Patriots for holding.

feldspar
02-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Personally, I'm actually encouraged about the areas where the Bills' deficiencies happened because I feel they are correctable.

Mace
02-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Who really cares how the guy deals with the media? I'll pile on him with the rest of you in a year or two if things don't improve, but this show is just getting started.

I don't really care how he deals with the media, he came in being well, Rexfest. It's irrelevant until it relates to what happens on the field.

Like if Ryan had said, "well, we fumbled the defense this year, the players and the staff weren't on the same page, and it just didn't work out well, but we intend to fix it.", I'd see a certain thoughtfulness to the lack of specifics, with no blame placed, lessons learned, and ahead we go, however.

But instead, I'm seeing a guy who doesn't learn, and who believes whatever comes out of his own mouth at a given moment, can't be his fault, he's Rex Ryan, defensive genius. And I'm seeing, in a lack of flexibility to adapt, that he clings rigidly to his concept of defense and prior coaching philosophies that proved unsuccessful, and in this case, proved to be a waste of personnel. It's like every time he talks, it's Groundhog Day (the movie), but he doesn't remember the last one, just reacts to the moment oblivious to anything but circumstances and his present train of thought. So you don't get any sense of progression besides his relentless march toward his once successful ideas, unaware that the game is evolving and he has different players than he once had.

He talks without rhyme or reason, because he has no rhyme or reason when left on his own without being a DC overseen by an HC who can focus him. We have no one to focus him, so he's unfocused.

I just don't think that's a good thing unless somehow he and Rob get that twin thing going and sudden clarity occurs in the meeting of their minds. I'm not optimistic that Rex is anything more than what he appears to be when he projects his personality.

swiper
09-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Rex flapping again.

Christian Hackenberg, No. 3 on Jets’ unofficial depth chart, ‘not the answer’ says Rex Ryan (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ex-jets-coach-rex-ryan-not-believer-christian-hackenberg-article-1.3471410)

“They have to get a quarterback,” Ryan told ESPN of Gang Green. “That kid from Penn State, we all know that’s not the answer.”

Dear Rex Fat Idiot,

That's just like I said when the Bills hired you:

“They have to get a real coach. That fat pig, we all know that’s not the answer.”

I certainly turned out to be right. It just took two additional agonizing years of no playoffs for Pegula to figure it out.