X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

In Defense of Rex Ryan

He went 8-8 in his first season with the Bills, and was 4-2 in the AFC East.

I don't think it's fair to cast judgement on any head coach after 1 year, unless your name is Tom Cable, Gregg Williams, Romeo Crennel, Raheem Morris, Marty Mornhinweg, Lane Kiffin, Bobby Petrino, Rich Kotite, or Rod Marinelli.

Did the Bills defense fail last season because of Rex, or because Mario Williams took the year off, Preston Brown had a hard time learning the new system, Kyle Williams got injured, and Nigel Bradham missed too many tackles?

Mario Williams quit on the Bills last year. The team never quit on Rex. After losing to the Eagles and Redskins, the Bills didn't quit on their coach.

At the end of the season, the Bills defense was playing better, even with backup talent like AJ Tarpley, Mario Butler, Duke Williams, and Kevin Reddick.

EJ Manuel lost two critical back to back games against the Bengals and Jaguars in the middle of the season. A healthy Tyrod Taylor would have made a huge difference.

Tyrod Taylor is the best Bills quarterback fans have seen in a long time. He's not a gimmick QB, and has proven that he's a lot more than a running quarterback with his arm strength, accuracy, and toughness.

The only reason why Tyrod Taylor is a Buffalo Bill today is because of Rex Ryan.

The only reason why Greg Roman is the Bills OC is because of Rex Ryan.

If Rex Ryan was the main reason why the defense regressed in 2015, he at least deserves credit for the Bills offensive progression.

The offense wasn't playing as a healthy unit up until week 9, after the bye.

The Bills have the best running game in the NFL with an offensive line that needs improvement.

The Bills ranked 13th in overall offense in 2015, their best ranking since the 2002 season.

Rex is all in on Buffalo, and I'm with him because he's not a fake. He's not Fool's Gold, and I give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's not like he intentionally tried to F up the defense. He tried to make it better and that failed, but I don't think he deserves all of the blame when the Bills highest paid player quit on him and the team.
  • Joe Fo Sho
    Making Spirits Bright
    • Mar 2006

Re: In Defense of Rex Ryan

But he yaps.

Comment

• cookie G
      • Mar 2003

It was John Izdik's fault

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
        • Jul 2002

Belichick took an 8-8 team & turned it into a 5-11 team his 1st season in NE.

All the Rex critics would have wanted to run him out of town if they were Patriots fans in 2000.

Many successful coaches over the years who have turned around teams had a mediocre or worst 1st season. Contrary to the whiners around here, I expect Rex to get this team turned around, starting with this season.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
          It was John Izdik's fault
          Rex wanted Taylor when he was with the Jets.

Idzik said no.

The Jets had the 4th best defense last year. Their offense ranked 10th with Fitz.

Rex's Bills beat them, twice, and knocked the Jets out of the playoffs.

If Idzik said yes to Taylor, Rex Ryan would still be with the Jets today, and they more than likely would have been in the playoffs in 2015.
          Last edited by BillsImpossible; 02-28-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
            Belichick took an 8-8 team & turned it into a 5-11 team his 1st season in NE.

All the Rex critics would have wanted to run him out of town if they were Patriots fans in 2000.

Many successful coaches over the years who have turned around teams had a mediocre or worst 1st season. Contrary to the whiners around here, I expect Rex to get this team turned around, starting with this season.
            Me too. The defense is going to be a lot better now that Rex and Rob are pregnant with twins.

Future Hall of Famer, Ed Reed will fill the void of Donnie Henderson and hopefully be as good of a teacher as he was a player.

Ed Reed specializes in film study. He's a football nerd.

Reed is another guy that gets no love from Bills fans hell bent on burning Rex at the stake after his first year.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
              • Nov 2007

honestly BImp, I can live with the fact that we didn't make the playoffs. I can live with the fact that we went 8-8. I can ALMOST even live with the fact that our defense regressed so much last year.

What I can't live with is the constant yapping without results. If we start winning, I'll be happy to listen to Rex yap all day and all night.
              I came.
              I saw.
              I conquered.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                Rex wanted Taylor when he was with the Jets.

Idzik said no.

The Jets had the 4th best defense last year. Their offense ranked 10th with Fitz.

Rex's Bills beat them, twice, and knocked the Jets out of the playoffs.

If Idzik said yes to Taylor, Rex Ryan would still be with the Jets today, and they more than likely would have been in the playoffs in 2015.
                Rex burned through 2 GMs and a small gang of offensive coordinators in his stay in NY.

Despite giving into him and making D the priority in the draft every year, his defense ended up around 20th in the league his past 4 seasons.

With a new team ...he took a top 5 defense to below average.
                And now people are talking about getting a bunch of new defensive players.

The team he left improved dramatically on both sides of the ball without him.

Its always Its always the fault of someone else with him.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

Rex burned through 2 GMs and a small gang of offensive coordinators in his stay in NY.

Despite giving into him and making D the priority in the draft every year, his defense ended up around 20th in the league his past 4 seasons.

With a new team ...he took a top 5 defense to below average.
                  And now people are talking about getting a bunch of new defensive players.

The team he left improved dramatically on both sides of the ball without him.

Its always Its always the fault of someone else with him.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

Does anyone here think that Rex Ryan wanted to draft Geno Smith?

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                      • Jun 2024

The truth is that the game has passed by Rex.

This upcoming year will be further evidence of that.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

After what transpired this last year, there is no defense for Wrecks...just excuses.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

No they didn't...not even close.

Explain...

Comment

• mdcas22
                            the mouth of the south
                            • Aug 2015

a good coach takes over a team and dissects each individual player on the team, he run's what best fits that player, thats the difference between a good coach and a sub 500 coach as Rex is. Rex is a scheme guy stickily running his system no matter, Wade Phillips took a great defense and made it better by doing what I just said. all the great coachs run what best fits there players, the perfect example was Don Shula who loved to run the ball with Larry Czonka and Jim Kick, then come's Marino and they hardly ran the ball, thats how you coach football, Rex is a bu s hit artist.

Comment

• Mace
                              Haha...yeah you think so ?
                              • Mar 2013

Ryan is a yapping snake oil salesman who sells only old snake oil.

That said, if they can't set him up with Ryan players this Ryan player looking draft and implement his Ryan defense with some success this year with a tougher schedule, I will personally become more displeased and meaner to him in my assessment on message boards and in appropriate conversations, because I'm near sure he'll get a year 3 to dork it up worse regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                              But he yaps.
                              Good to see you finally came around.

Comment

Working...
                              X