PDA

View Full Version : NFL Considering Eliminating Chop Block

DraftBoy
02-29-2016, 10:36 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14868063/nfl-competition-committee-considers-elimination-chop-block-2016

The NFL competition committee is considering a rule change that would eliminate the chop-block for the 2016 season, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

There were conversations about the change over the weekend at the scouting combine in Indianapolis, and they will continue leading up to the NFL owners meetings next month in Boca Raton, Florida.

A chop-block occurs when one offensive player blocks a defender low while that defender is being blocked above the waist by another offensive player. The move already was illegal in many instances, but offensive linemen were still permitted to do so on running plays if they were lined up next to each other to start the play.

Article goes on to say that the Bills were one of five teams penalized for multiple illegal chop blocks in 2015.

YardRat
02-29-2016, 11:59 AM
I was under the impression that the chop block was illegal under all circumstances already.

mightysimi
02-29-2016, 01:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14868063/nfl-competition-committee-considers-elimination-chop-block-2016

Article goes on to say that the Bills were one of five teams penalized for multiple illegal chop blocks in 2015.

I remember one of them as incognito hitting a guy on the hip/ribs.

MikeInRoch
02-29-2016, 01:38 PM
I remember one of them as incognito hitting a guy on the hip/ribs.

Yes. Incognito got called despite his hit being legal, taking a touchdown off the board.

Night Train
02-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Denver was the worst offender of this for many years.

OpIv37
02-29-2016, 04:10 PM
This seems like yet another rule that will be subjectively applied and burn us at some point.

Turf
02-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Maybe they should learn how to call it when it's only at the knees or below.

DraftBoy
02-29-2016, 06:28 PM
I was under the impression that the chop block was illegal under all circumstances already.

Read the quoted article...

The move already was illegal in many instances, but offensive linemen were still permitted to do so on running plays if they were lined up next to each other to start the play.

YardRat
03-01-2016, 04:43 AM
Read the quoted article...

I did, that's what initiated my comment.

coastal
03-01-2016, 11:35 AM
And in further news... all contact being removed from game likely.

DynaPaul
03-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Flag football is coming.

pmoon6
03-02-2016, 04:05 AM
Denver was the worst offender of this for many years.It was Mike Shanahan's contribution to the game.

pmoon6
03-02-2016, 04:07 AM
The chop block is still "legal" in certain circumstances i.e. it's called or not called depending on who the NFL wants to win the game.

DraftBoy
03-02-2016, 04:08 AM
It was Mike Shanahan's contribution to the game.

It's actually huge news in Atlanta because Kyle Shanahan is the OC and he utilizes the same scheme.

Topas
03-02-2016, 05:06 AM

What? Are you kidding me?
Probably this initiates MORE contact, because thay actually have to hit and block each other. And cannot dive for the knees while the defender is held by another person. If you want contact and 'manly behaviour' you should be in favour of getting rid of that stupid bull**** that cost the career for quite a few players.
But ok, I guess a person that needs a 70 page 'toldyouso'-thread to cuddle his own ego, is probably in favour of jumping at the knees of a man that is blocked (and often held).

pmoon6
03-02-2016, 06:16 AM
It's actually huge news in Atlanta because Kyle Shanahan is the OC and he utilizes the same scheme.I always laughed when they lauded Mikey for finding no name RBs that became successful. I guess when you cheap shot defensive players and you gain yards, you're a "genius".

BTW, Mike Shanahan is like most successful people in the NFL. He's an arrogant ass hole.

feldspar
03-02-2016, 06:35 AM

Yes, we must keep the violence safe...:whistling:whistling