PDA

View Full Version : Bills release Kraig Urbik

daryls61
03-01-2016, 10:27 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/mEMjLE2sco">pic.twitter.com/mEMjLE2sco</a></p>&mdash; Kraig Urbik (@kraigurbik) <a href="https://twitter.com/kraigurbik/status/704721551329992704">March 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

daryls61
03-01-2016, 10:29 AM
You would think Bills must feel confident in resigning Incognito if they released Urbik. Cutting Urbik saves Bills $1.77 mil against cap.

justasportsfan
03-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Did we save anything by releasing him? Toilet paper?

daryls61
03-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Cutting Urbik saves Bills $1.77 mil against cap.

Mace
03-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Add guard/backup center to list of needs

k-oneputt
03-01-2016, 12:04 PM
Easily replaced.

Victor7
03-01-2016, 04:06 PM
He used to be a serviceable starter a couple of years ago. But the last 2 seasons he really took some steps backwards. He wasn't really breaking the bank or anything like that but we sure do need the cap space.

YardRat
03-01-2016, 04:13 PM
LOL...games are won in the trenches, and we've started the new year cutting loose linemen on both sides of the ball.

Night Train
03-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Urbik was cut a year late.

cookie G
03-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Never much liked him...never saw an OL get knocked backward when pulling like he does.

I hate to say it, but he was better in pass pro than Miller last year. (That's not saying much).

Here's to hoping Miller gets to work in the offseason and improves in that area.

I'm pulling for him to succeed, but then, I was pulling for Doug Legursky too.

Mace
03-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Never much liked him...never saw an OL get knocked backward when pulling like he does.

I hate to say it, but he was better in pass pro than Miller last year. (That's not saying much).

Here's to hoping Miller gets to work in the offseason and improves in that area.

I'm pulling for him to succeed, but then, I was pulling for Doug Legursky too.

Thing is though, with Incognito suddenly looking dubious, Urbik was better than Cyril Richardson, Ronald Patrick and Ryan Groy, the other guards on the roster, and could step in at center if needed. So now we really need a guard and backup center also.

cookie G
03-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Thing is though, with Incognito suddenly looking dubious, Urbik was better than Cyril Richardson, Ronald Patrick and Ryan Groy, the other guards on the roster, and could step in at center if needed. So now we really need a guard and backup center also.

Oh, we're going to need a back up interior lineman or 2. If nothing else, for injuries. You can't expect 3 of them to go injury free all season. He really is replaceable though..as long as they try. The key is putting in the effort and not relying on UFDA's continuously.

I really am pulling for Miller. I first saw him in the Shrine Game, and loved how he was blocking. Then watched a few Youtube games..his pass pro reminded me of Conrad Dobler. Just stands at the line and says, "come get me". Unfortunately, it hasn't worked in the NFL..and its not going to for him.

If Connie was in better shape, you could bring him in and teach him the leg whip.

Bill Cody
03-02-2016, 09:13 AM
good thing we have plenty of draft picks....

Yasgur's Farm
03-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Thing is though, with Incognito suddenly looking dubious, Urbik was better than Cyril Richardson, Ronald Patrick and Ryan Groy, the other guards on the roster, and could step in at center if needed. So now we really need a guard and backup center also.Exactly... He was the 3rd best G on the team... Plus, he was the swing guy and could play center as well.
What's that mean? We saved $1.77M but need to replace him... If we replace him with a vet, vet minimum approaches $1M. So... Is the real cap savings only $770K?

ParanoidAndroid
03-02-2016, 11:59 AM
What kind of contract do you suppose we would need to snag Jeff Allen from the Chiefs? He'd be an instant upgrade. I bet he'd come here for just under what Urbik got.

stuckincincy
03-04-2016, 07:53 PM
You would think Bills must feel confident in resigning Incognito if they released Urbik. Cutting Urbik saves Bills $1.77 mil against cap.

The Sportrac site pegs Incognito's "Market Values as 2 year contract, $9,969,416:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/richie-incognito/market-value/

Scumbag College
03-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Urbik was decent for what he is. A backup that could play all three interior line positions and if he had to start he wouldn't kill the team. I'm guessing that there are other guys like that in FA that could be had for a little less money and younger...2014 Urbik definitely was better than 2015 Urbik.

Mace
03-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Urbik was decent for what he is. A backup that could play all three interior line positions and if he had to start he wouldn't kill the team. I'm guessing that there are other guys like that in FA that could be had for a little less money and younger...2014 Urbik definitely was better than 2015 Urbik.

I don't really know there are other experienced guys that will come that cheap in FA. The thing about Urbik also being backup center, centers don't just snap the ball anymore, and Roman has a complicated line scheme. Like Yasgur pointed out vet minimum minimizes savings at a loss of experience.