PDA

View Full Version : Tyrod's price just went up

YardRat
03-01-2016, 06:23 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2621063-sam-bradfords-new-contract-sad-reality-of-life-in-qb-starved-nfl

Yes, the Eagles just gave Sam Bradford an $18 million average annual salary.

Mace
03-01-2016, 06:27 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2621063-sam-bradfords-new-contract-sad-reality-of-life-in-qb-starved-nfl

Yes, the Eagles just gave Sam Bradford an $18 million average annual salary.

Can't imagine what they are thinking.

Scumbag College
03-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Damn, I'd be missing Chip Kelly right about now if I was a Philly fan.

EDS
03-01-2016, 07:13 PM
A tyrod extension is tricky because the Bills probably don't want to get themselves into another buy high fitzpatrick type of contract. At the same time, if Tyrod does well next year the price tag will only go up.

Mace
03-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Bradford just set a new standard for often injured starting qb's, where Taylor is likely headed.

Goobylal
03-01-2016, 07:38 PM
The Eagles are rapidly becoming a train wreck.

Joe Fo Sho
03-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Is there another QB that has made more money and done less?

Mace
03-01-2016, 08:43 PM

Russ Brandon.

jamze132
03-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Kirk Cousins us about to get paid too and only has one decent season. Tannehill sucks and he's getting paid. Nature of the beast.

Goobylal
03-02-2016, 05:49 AM
I say let him play at least half the season before offering a deal anywhere near those numbers. And put it all on his shoulders to see if he's the man.

Ingtar33
03-02-2016, 07:06 AM
yep, anyone who thinks we're getting tyrod for less then 15mil per season is smoking some fine dope. looks like 18 mil is the min; personally i think cousins deal will set the ceiling on a tyrod deal. so sandwich it between bradfords and cousins.

The redskins have to be cussing out the eagles right now. I don't even think cousins was asking for 18mil/year, i guarantee he just upped his price.

apparently bottom tier starting qbs in the nfl are worth 18mil per season now. thank you philly for blowing up the market.

Forward_Lateral
03-02-2016, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't extend him now. Worst case scenario if you don't sign him, and he plays lights out: You franchise tag him.

Unless TT is willing to sign a 2-3 year extension at a reasonable price, I would let next season play itself out.

Mahdi
03-02-2016, 08:21 AM
I would rather play this out until at least mid-season to make sure Tyrod can adjust to defenses that will be prepared for him.

When he shows that he is a QB with multiple solutions then we can pay him even if its a bit more than we would now.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-02-2016, 09:00 AM

Bradford has turned his Heisman winning Sophomore season into nearly $90 million so far, with another 20 or so to come.

Jesus.

Victor7
03-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Bradford has turned his Heisman winning Sophomore season into nearly $90 million so far, with another 20 or so to come. Jesus.

Yup, over 100 mill

Unreal

Sam Bradford has made around 100 million dollars "playing" in the NFL

Where's your god now ??

feldspar
03-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Yeah, Bradford is the last #1 pick to be guaranteed ridiculous dollars before the rookie wage scale was set in place, if I recall correctly.

His trend of being the luckiest bastard ever continues. Dunno what the Eagles would otherwise do without him...

Joe Fo Sho
03-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Bradford has turned his Heisman winning Sophomore season into nearly $90 million so far, with another 20 or so to come.

Jesus.

And he's only 28 years old.

Can't be mad at him, I'd be doing the same thing if I were in his shoes.

Ed
03-02-2016, 09:54 AM
In a league with no patience and where young qb's get quickly tossed to the scrap heap, Sam Bradford somehow has a job for life as an NFL qb and gets elite-level pay. Ridiculous. The guy basically misses his entire junior year due to injury, still declares for the draft, still goes #1, and after 7 years of accomplishing nothing gets paid like a guy that wins super bowls.

Brock Osweiler is another qb that's going to get a new contract soon too, and the talk here in Denver is that he's probably looking at at least $12 mil/year. A guy that's started 7 games and put up mediocre numbers.

If the Bills want to keep Tyrod at anything close to a reasonable price, they're going to have to take a chance and extend him now.

OpIv37
03-02-2016, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't extend him now. Worst case scenario if you don't sign him, and he plays lights out: You franchise tag him.

Unless TT is willing to sign a 2-3 year extension at a reasonable price, I would let next season play itself out.

We used the franchise tag on Glenn. If he's still here next year I don't think we can use it on Tyrod. I could be mistaken though. I'm not exactly sure how it works.

DraftBoy
03-02-2016, 10:19 AM
We used the franchise tag on Glenn. If he's still here next year I don't think we can use it on Tyrod. I could be mistaken though. I'm not exactly sure how it works.
I'm not sure of the specifics, but what I can say is that even if we don't have the franchise available for Tyrod next year we do have the Transition Tag.

MillsapsBillsFan
03-02-2016, 10:25 AM

Franchise tag can be used every year, cant be used more than twice on the same player though

IlluminatusUIUC
03-02-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure of the specifics, but what I can say is that even if we don't have the franchise available for Tyrod next year we do have the Transition Tag.

That can be used against us though, the same way we used it against the Dolphins.

OpIv37
03-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Franchise tag can be used every year, cant be used more than twice on the same player though

I seem to remember that there was a rule that once a franchise tag is used on a player, the tag is no longer available as long as that player is still on the team. So, if we tag Glenn and he then signs with us, the tag wouldn't be available to us until he gets traded, cut or retires. Again, I could be mistaken or they could have changed the rules.

Victor7
03-02-2016, 10:35 AM
I seem to remember that there was a rule that once a franchise tag is used on a player, the tag is no longer available as long as that player is still on the team. So, if we tag Glenn and he then signs with us, the tag wouldn't be available to us until he gets traded, cut or retires. Again, I could be mistaken or they could have changed the rules.

I don't believe that's right. You get one tag per year regardless of what happened to the guy you tagged a year before.

Joe Fo Sho
03-02-2016, 11:32 AM

I believe you're thinking of the transition tag. I don't think there are any rules like that for the franchise tag.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-02-2016, 11:50 AM

I believe that was the rule under the 2006 CBA, but not the 2011 CBA

BillsImpossible
03-02-2016, 06:42 PM

I agree 100% If Tryod has a great year and they can't work out a long term contract, place the franchise tag on him - that would cost about $15-18 million.

If he has another good year in 2017, Tyrod Taylor is going to be a very rich man.

That being said, if the Bills could sign Taylor to a 3-year deal for $30 million guaranteed today, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Mace
03-02-2016, 06:50 PM
I agree 100% If Tryod has a great year and they can't work out a long term contract, place the franchise tag on him - that would cost about $15-18 million.

Starts at 19.95 (effectively 20) million in 2016, transition is 17.7.

BillsImpossible
03-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Starts at 19.95 (effectively 20) million in 2016, transition is 17.7.

That's cheaper than Mario Williams.

Deal.

If Tyrod Taylor plays out of his mind and sets the NFL on fire next year, $18 million a season is going to look cheap.

Imagine what the price will be 5 years from now.

$25 million per season will soon be the new norm for starting NFL quarterbacks.

Some people might think that's a bad thing, but I say God bless 'em.

This one's for T-Mobile:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mzDVaKRApcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BertSquirtgum
03-02-2016, 11:34 PM
Bills would be ******ed to redo his deal this year.

gebobs
03-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Bills would be ******ed to redo his deal this year.

Concur. That would be worse fool's gold than Mario. Taylor is a mobile Trent Edwards. Sorry, I'm that cynical.

And Bradford's contract is basically a crap shoot with a 4 come out. His cap hit the first year is slightly lower than his previous contract. The big money starts in 2017 though $22 million is fully guaranteed. If Bradford doesn't light it up this year, he'll get cut or traded by this time next year. Look for the Eagles to draft a quarterback this year to hedge that bet. They would be mad not too.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet a double sawbuck that Bradford isn't in Philly in 2017.

A closer look at Sam Bradford's contract (http://www.phillyvoice.com/closer-look-sam-bradfords-contract/)

BertSquirtgum
03-03-2016, 02:43 PM
He's the black JP Losman.

YardRat
03-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Osweiler might get 'at least' $45mil over three years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/03/05/brock-osweiler-contract-offer-denver-broncos/81368466/

Goobylal
03-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Crazy.

Mace
03-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Osweiler might get 'at least' $45mil over three years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/03/05/brock-osweiler-contract-offer-denver-broncos/81368466/

I'm glad sometimes we don't have a "franchise" qb yet. You think you have one, you pay them stupid, find out they aren't all that and can't afford to not keep paying them to try again one more year while not being able to afford the supporting cast.

For all the talk of "franchise" qb's, there are only really a couple of them worth championships, a bunch worth winning seasons that might win one some day (or win another one), and even more that just show enough to give you winning seasons and endless maybes when you aren't struggling to reload your team around them and diving back toward top picks with a bad record and minimal cap.

Frenchman
03-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Osweiler was given $45M three-year deal by the Broncos. It is a lot of money. But of course there are conditions.

Mace
03-05-2016, 08:01 PM
Osweiler was given $45M three-year deal by the Broncos. It is a lot of money. But of course there are conditions.

Supposedly he's wanting to test free agency and I can't imagine what he's thinking. He's almost guaranteed a better contract down the road with that Denver defense with the added bonus of winning if he's at best sufficient.

HHURRICANE
03-06-2016, 04:51 AM
Not sure what the fuss is over here. If Tyrod plays well this year we'll pay him market and be glad we have a top ten QB. If he doesn't play well, he'll be gone as a one year wonder.

Trying to get a "deal" on him is stupid at this point. If the pro bowl was any clue I'd kick the tires for as long as possible.