PDA

View Full Version : Are the Bills planning for a free agent move?

X-Era
03-03-2016, 03:03 PM
On the surface, the Bills appear to just be adding cap space to use on Incognito and Glenn. But as of now they sit at 10+ mill in room AFTER Glenn. The still need to sign him long term. But, if anything his 13+ cap figure under the franchise tag will drop which adds even more room.

The release of Mario, Dixon, and Urbik was early since they didn't have to be under the cap until March 9th... But, they can begin talks on the 7th.

Incognito may only cost 4 or 5 mill per as far as cap hit.

So:

Cut players early
Freed up more room than they need for Incognito
Restructured Graham to get even more
And are reportedly still working on restructuring McKelvin to add even more room...

Are they planning to make a move in Free Agency early?

If so, for whom?

How about Damon Harrison, NT... Jets may not get him back. Whaley said we will look different on D... more traditional 3-4... We need an NT in that case... Doesn't Harrison who knows Rex makes sense?

This article points to him costing up to 10 mill per. I think 7 or 8 in cap hit may be more likely:

"According to OvertheCap.Com, the highest paid 3-4 NT currently under contract for the 2016 season is Vince Wilfork of the Houston Texans, with an annual average salary of $4.5 million. Last year’s highest paid was Haloti Ngata, who counted $8.5 million against the Detroit Lions salary cap.

Being that Harrison is younger and more effective than both of them at this point in their careers, you have to figure that it could cost somewhere in the range of $10 million per year to get a deal done, unless “Snacks” is feeling generous enough to give a hometown discount."

http://nyjetsnews.com/2007-damon-harrison-to-give-team-a-discount/

I'd love that move. I wonder though with such a DL strong draft if we shouldn't go that route instead.

What say you? Are the Bills scrambling to add cap room for a reason? If so for what? New player? Resign their own?

YardRat
03-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Wrecks needs a true NT badly...if they are going to blow FA money again this season, it has to be on defense. A bonus for us would be coastal could start a "Snacks is Fool's Gold" thread for the new guy.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Let's be generous and say 15 million in cap room

Subtract 4 million for Incognito

Down to 11

They still have the draft picks to add too. That takes it down to 7 or less. And they need room to sign practice squad and injury replacement guys.

So they don't have much room to do anything

Night Train
03-03-2016, 03:25 PM

Down to 11

They still have the draft picks to add too. That takes it down to 7 or less. And they need room to sign practice squad and injury replacement guys.

So they don't have much room to do anything

They'll be looking at Incognito type bargains on the cheap and little else, IMO. Nothing wrong with that.

The Draft is key this off-season and luckily, D front 7 and OL are deep.

X-Era
03-03-2016, 03:31 PM

Down to 11

So they don't have much room to do anythingCap savings from Glenn extension
Cap savings from McKelvin Restructure
Cap savings from Gilmore extension

Those 3 are likely and pay for Harrison with some left over.

Night Train
03-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Glenn is franchised and has until July 15th to get a new long term deal.

I can see McKelvin in the next few days and maybe Gilmore.

X-Era
03-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Glenn is franchised and has until July 15th to get a new long term deal.

I can see McKelvin in the next few days and maybe Gilmore.
I realize that. Extending Glenn only adds cap room from here.

Mace
03-03-2016, 03:57 PM
I sure don't know, but I don't trust their judgement any. I still have this nagging feeling that in a deep draft at beneficial positions, Whaley is going to sacrifice picks to trade up for someone or botch it with his BPA board.

Ed
03-04-2016, 11:37 AM
With the McKelvin release the Bills now have $13.1 mil in cap space. That doesn't include the Graham restructure since the details for that aren't official yet, but that probably adds another million or so. Assuming Glenn and Gilmore both sign extensions, which seems likely, their new 2016 cap hits would likely save at least 5 million. That 5 million should cover the rookie contracts.They'll also likely keep $2-4 mil in reserve, so I think it's safe to assume that the Bills will have at least $10-12 mil to play with in free agency. Even if they don't get a deal done with Incognito, I would be really surprised if they make a big/expensive move like adding Harrison. Whaley said they won't be active in the first week, which I tend to believe. I think they'll add a few free agents that can compete for starting roles and at least provide depth, so that way they can head into the draft with no glaring holes and just focus on adding talent.

coastal
03-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Yeah let's spend $100 million on Fool's Gold... $100 on Dareus... $50 million on Hughes...

wait.. not the right players.

see all you sack suckers at the two decade mark.

Night Train
03-04-2016, 12:54 PM
With the McKelvin release the Bills now have $13.1 mil in cap space. That doesn't include the Graham restructure since the details for that aren't official yet, but that probably adds another million or so. Assuming Glenn and Gilmore both sign extensions, which seems likely, their new 2016 cap hits would likely save at least 5 million. That 5 million should cover the rookie contracts.They'll also likely keep $2-4 mil in reserve, so I think it's safe to assume that the Bills will have at least $10-12 mil to play with in free agency. Even if they don't get a deal done with Incognito, I would be really surprised if they make a big/expensive move like adding Harrison. Whaley said they won't be active in the first week, which I tend to believe. I think they'll add a few free agents that can compete for starting roles and at least provide depth, so that way they can head into the draft with no glaring holes and just focus on adding talent.

They have holes at NT, LB and RT. I do think the draft will yield candidates for all 3.

X-Era
03-04-2016, 01:44 PM
I don't think Harrison will cost 10 mill in cap space... More like 7 or 8.

Cromartie is a likley add IMO. The McKelvin release sealed that deal to me.

Dr. Lecter
03-04-2016, 01:48 PM

That doesn't count practice squad players and they will keep more than 2-4 million in reserve. Every player signed during the season adds at least 750K to the cap.

HHURRICANE
03-06-2016, 05:22 AM
I'm thinking the Bills are banking money in case they need to extend Taylor. I don't see any high profile signings.

X-Era
03-06-2016, 06:28 AM
That doesn't count practice squad players and they will keep more than 2-4 million in reserve. Every player signed during the season adds at least 750K to the cap.Thats true. But, I think some vets can also get cut after TC. And we still haven't addressed Kyle's contract.

pmoon6
03-06-2016, 06:54 AM
Ha! Dareus can play the Nose. Move Kyle to DE and have Hughes offset at 'backer or move up to rush the passer.

swiper
03-06-2016, 07:17 AM
I agree with Night Train. Draft is key. I would expect the Bills to come back after the draft and scour the free agents hanging around. There are a lot of veterans that have been cut and will be serviceable at the right price.

Hopefully the Bills will fill those spots (LB, RT, DL) with fresh legs through the draft. Then they can find some free agents to round things out.

Despite Whaley saying they likes Mills, and that Henderson is healthy enough to compete, and that Whaley is not going to want to give up on Kuoandijo b/c he drafted him... they still need an upgrade there.

DraftBoy
03-06-2016, 09:06 AM
You can't give Harrison big money with his micro-fracture surgery past. There is too much risk there for a long term deal, imo.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Ha! Dareus can play the Nose. Move Kyle to DE and have Hughes offset at 'backer or move up to rush the passer.

I don't really know if that's the best use of Dareus. IMO he makes more sense as a 3-4 DE like Wilkerson. I wouldn't want Dareus eating blocks all day.

swiper
03-06-2016, 12:43 PM
I don't really know if that's the best use of Dareus. IMO he makes more sense as a 3-4 DE like Wilkerson. I wouldn't want Dareus eating blocks all day.

Kyle Williams could do it though. As long as the Bills have both Dareus and Kyle Williams on the roster, I find it hard to believe they are going to sign a name DT for big DT money.

They might draft a guy to groom, but you can't have three big pay DT-types. Even if you're running one of them at end.

Mace
03-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Kyle Williams could do it though. As long as the Bills have both Dareus and Kyle Williams on the roster, I find it hard to believe they are going to sign a name DT for big DT money.

They might draft a guy to groom, but you can't have three big pay DT-types. Even if you're running one of them at end.

I think they intend Kyle and Dareus at end, no reason they couldn't get a flexible nose guy this draft though.

Ideally they should be able to have 3 guys they could move around for mismatches in the mix.