PDA

View Full Version : TBN Dunne : Incognito

Mace
03-05-2016, 07:49 PM
I don't have a good feeling about keeping him. You have to read the article, he's not griping.

One source indicated the Bills never made Incognito an offer all season, lowballed him at the NFL scouting combine and then didn’t contact his reps for a four-day stretch last week.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/03/05/richie-incognito-a-driven-man-bank-on-it/

DraftBoy
03-05-2016, 07:59 PM
The way this team conducts business is like a dog chasing its own tail.

Night Train
03-05-2016, 08:28 PM
I like the guy... but you don't give a 33 year old guard too much $ and years.

You still want to work out a long term deal for Glenn and Gilmore.

DraftBoy
03-05-2016, 08:30 PM
I like the guy... but you don't give a 33 year old guard too much $ and years.

You still want to work out a long term deal for Glenn and Gilmore.

Still doesn't excuse not offering a deal in-season when the guy was arguably your best OL and then low-balling him on a below market offer at the combine. I agree you don't lock up long term money in him but if this report is true it's asinine.

And I say all of this as somebody who never wanted to bring him in the first place.

Turf
03-05-2016, 09:13 PM
And like Regier we extend Whaley only to fire him next year.

HHURRICANE
03-06-2016, 04:43 AM
I'm torn here. I feel like Incognito isn't the answer at 33. He was a great pick up when it looked like we were close to a playoff caliber team. But not sure how many guards are playing at 35, 36 years old. So are we getting one year out of this guy?

If Whaley and the Bills don't think he's worth it than why are we criticizing them for not working hard to sign him? Plus there are younger guards in free agency.

YardRat
03-06-2016, 05:46 AM
A little over a year ago we needed a QB, a G, and maybe an OT...starters, not including depth.

Now we need a NT, DE, OLB, ILB, S, K, and still a G and OT.

Not exactly what I consider progress.

HHURRICANE
03-06-2016, 05:56 AM
A little over a year ago we needed a QB, a G, and maybe an OT...starters, not including depth.

Now we need a NT, DE, OLB, ILB, S, K, and still a G and OT.

Not exactly what I consider progress.

I think your oversimplifying here. Every team is always in need of players. We added some good players including through the draft.

X-Era
03-06-2016, 06:30 AM
The way this team conducts business is like a dog chasing its own tail.And Ryan Talbot says we're close to a deal.

Who do we believe?

YardRat
03-06-2016, 07:33 AM
I think your oversimplifying here. Every team is always in need of players. We added some good players including through the draft.

There is no such thing as over-simplifying the concept of filling holes, not creating them.

Night Train
03-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Still doesn't excuse not offering a deal in-season when the guy was arguably your best OL and then low-balling him on a below market offer at the combine. I agree you don't lock up long term money in him but if this report is true it's asinine.

And I say all of this as somebody who never wanted to bring him in the first place.

Come on DB, he's NOT the average guy. He's 33. He has a past that shows multiple issues, starting in college. He is a unique case, like it or not. Plus I never buy into "the reports". Bills have rushed into other mid year deals many times that looked foolish. See Fitz.

swiper
03-06-2016, 08:15 AM
Whether he played well or not, guards are still one of the easiest positions to replace.

DraftBoy
03-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Come on DB, he's NOT the average guy. He's 33. He has a past that shows multiple issues, starting in college. He is a unique case, like it or not. Plus I never buy into "the reports". Bills have rushed into other mid year deals many times that looked foolish. See Fitz.

You're right, he actually has a year less of football on him because of his circumstances. Bu where did I say anything about average? He was, without a question, our best OL last year over the course of the entire season. He didn't have the unsportsmanlike conduct issues that he had in the past and from all reports he was a great teammate.

Why does giving him a 2-3 year front loaded deal not make sense here? If he's 3/4 of what he was last year we still have a pretty good OG who can run block and pass protect with a little bit of that nasty that nobody else on the OL has. You front load the money so he gets his reward for his play early and you get cap relief if you his skills start regressing.

You seem to be acting like we have to give this guy a 4-5 year deal with $20+ million guaranteed. I don't think that's the case in this situation at all.

Fitz never preformed at the level that Incognito did last year. That's not a fair comparison, imo.

And again I say all of this while never wanting him here in the first place, and still thinking he's among the worst human beings in the NFL for what happened in Miami.

- - - Updated - - -

Whether he played well or not, guards are still one of the easiest positions to replace.

We said that with Levitre and still never really found an adequate replacement until we got Incognito.

It's an easier position to replace if you have a scouting department that can do its job, but our scouting department has not been good with its OL evals.

Scumbag College
03-06-2016, 09:16 AM
I think that the plan this offseason is to extend Glenn and Gilmore long term, and try and cobble together the missing pieces of Rex's Front 7 philosophy with low priced free agents. Wouldn't be shocked if Incognito walks and we use two of the first three picks on OL.

"The Bills need to rebuild the offensive line this offseason," says everyone the past decade or so. Ugh.

tampabay25690
03-06-2016, 12:10 PM
And Ryan Talbot says we're close to a deal.

Who do we believe?

I know for 150% that Richie and Bills have agreed to terms about a week ago.
The term were being worked out by where the $$$ was going to go for duration of the terms.
Bills wanted to back load the deal and of curse Richie and his camp wanted the most of the $$$ in beginning of deal.
I expect this to be announced soon.

swiper
03-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Ryan Talbot???

:rofl:

tampabay25690
03-06-2016, 12:55 PM
LOL

Mace
03-06-2016, 05:13 PM
And Ryan Talbot says we're close to a deal.

Who do we believe?

I'd rather believe Talbot, but this team gives me a bad feeling.

OpIv37
03-06-2016, 07:35 PM

I was ok with bringing him in but I didn't think it would pay off.

Completely agree with the rest. It reminds me of how the Sabres lost both Briere and Drury because they low-balled Drury and didn't even contact Briere.

Topas
03-07-2016, 01:12 AM

Ok, that means that the Bills even fail at the easiest task for years ...

DraftBoy
03-07-2016, 03:28 AM
Ryan Talbot???

:rofl:

Talbot, to his credit, has been in one some of the #Bills moves in recent years. He's a pretty strong writer/blogger imo.

- - - Updated - - -

I was ok with bringing him in but I didn't think it would pay off.

Completely agree with the rest. It reminds me of how the Sabres lost both Briere and Drury because they low-balled Drury and didn't even contact Briere.

I had no desire to bring him in and I don't regret that position, however, he was a good player for us last year and deserves to be rewarded for that play.

Night Train
03-08-2016, 01:48 PM
I don't have a good feeling about keeping him.

Must have been bad gas.

stuckincincy
03-08-2016, 01:55 PM
The way this team conducts business is like a dog chasing its own tail.

That is an excellent characterization. Spot on, as the Brits say. :evil:

Mace
03-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Talbot for the win evidently. No more bad feeling. Must have indeed been gas.