Lawson called defensive signals by the end of the year, not Preston Brown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Lawson called defensive signals by the end of the year, not Preston Brown.

Brown has a good shot at returning as a starter for the Bills next season, considering that Lawson is miscast as an inside linebacker, and that Brown's fellow Week 1 starter inside, Nigel Bradham, is about to become an unrestricted free agent. Considering those two things, plus the team's apparent lack of confidence in Brown, and it's fair to wonder if a position that we all considered a need already might be a more urgent perceived need within the walls of One Bills Drive.
    When your favorite team's top (and potentially only) returning inside linebacker had on-field play-calling duties stripped away from him at the end of last season, perhaps linebacker is a bigger need for your team than originally thought.

Sure, why not. Just dandy.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Lawson called defensive signals by the end of the year, not Preston Brown.

Brown and Bradham missed an incredible amount of tackles last season. I'm hoping they upgrade at ILB. Lawson and Hughes are outside.

I'll let the off-season play out.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

All the right people in all the wrong systems... the curse of OBD

Comment

• Victor7
        • Jul 2013

I can't recall a LB unit as bad as ours in the last 20 years. And I'm not talking just Bills. I'm talking the entire NFL.

Comment

• mightysimi
          Buckle me in on the highway of sin
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
          I can't recall a LB unit as bad as ours in the last 20 years. And I'm not talking just Bills. I'm talking the entire NFL.
          a little dramatic this morning? You can't seriously think this right? Forget about the last 20 years how about the Saints of this year?

Comment

• cookie G
            • Mar 2003

Late last season, Brown was the one complaining that calls and substitutions weren't coming in soon enough from the sideline and/or booth...

It doesn't shock me that Rex took the radio away from him and then let it slip out now.

Blaming other is his MO. Its all he's been doing since the season ended.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh please

Comment

• Victor7
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
              a little dramatic this morning? You can't seriously think this right? Forget about the last 20 years how about the Saints of this year?
              Ok, one of the worst of the last 20 years ?? ... or is that also wrong ?? Are you a fan of our situation?

In any case the Saints had Danell Ellerbe, James Anderson (10 year vet) and 2 rookies. Not sure that qualifies as bad, inexperienced over the 2 noobs maybe. But that's about it.

Comment

• mightysimi
                • Mar 2010

Ok, one of the worst of the last 20 years ?? ... or is that also wrong ?? Are you a fan of our situation?

In any case the Saints had Danell Ellerbe, James Anderson (10 year vet) and 2 rookies. Not sure that qualifies as bad, inexperienced over the 2 noobs maybe. But that's about it.
                Of course I'm not a fan of losing. I just don't think the sky is falling. I think with some adjustments and the starters playing, the D can be very productive.

Comment

• Victor7
                  • Jul 2013

Of course I'm not a fan of losing. I just don't think the sky is falling. I think with some adjustments and the starters playing, the D can be very productive.
                  Oh I think so too. I'm just saying that 2015's LB core was historically bad. The only guy worth a **** is Brown and he's not that awesome either. The rest of the guys are very uneventful to say the least.

Comment

• mightysimi
                    • Mar 2010

Oh I think so too. I'm just saying that 2015's LB core was historically bad. The only guy worth a **** is Brown and he's not that awesome either. The rest of the guys are very uneventful to say the least.
                    And that is where you lose me. Historically bad to me would indicate to me that we were run all over and gouged for yards but, being not last in any defensive category that I can find, makes it hard for me to go with.

Comment

• cookie G
                      • Mar 2003

The Bills were 11th against the rush in 2014 with Brown and Bradham as their LBs and 14th in YPC. In pass coverage...well...they were 3rd in the league in 2014.

This dropped brutally this year, in all categories (including droping to 24th in the league in YPC.

Do you think this might have something to do with it?

"I don't know who that guy is [in the coaches' box], but we talk about it in the meetings," Brown said. "It's been an issue with the personnel coming in and out. I mean, you can see it on games: People are running in and out; we're changing plays here and there. So it's definitely been an issue."

"It's something that shouldn't happen," Brown said. "[Opposing offenses] run people in and off because they know we're having issues with that upstairs in the box. So people are going to keep doing it, running in and off. I mean, teams that usually are the slowest teams on the ball, they're hurrying up on us and trying to get plays because they know it's something that we've had issues with."

In the latest expression of frustration from Bills defensive players, LB Preston Brown says calls from the coaches' booth have been coming in late this season.

When you're lining up 9 or 10 against 11, or people are constantly out of place...someone's going to look bad.

I'd like to think it would get better...but...with the new guy Rex brought in...um...

It wasn't a secret. As Ryan's defense declined the past season and a half, TV cameras often caught Payton and Ryan visibly upset and snapping at each other on the sideline during games.

A source within the Saints organization said most of the sideline issues revolved around Ryan's calls coming in late or the wrong defense being called. The source, who was granted anonymity to speak freely of the situation, said that happened "at least 40 or 50 times this year."

"It was awful," the source added.

These late substitution chess matches worked alot better when teams huddled for longer periods. But when teams are huddling for less than 10 seconds and the QB is at the line scanning a defense for most of the play clock..not so much.
                      Last edited by cookie G; 03-07-2016, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                        The Bills were 11th against the rush in 2014 with Brown and Bradham as their LBs and 14th in YPC. In pass coverage...well...they were 3rd in the league in 2014.

This dropped brutally this year, in all categories (including droping to 24th in the league in YPC.

"I don't know who that guy is [in the coaches' box], but we talk about it in the meetings," Brown said. "It's been an issue with the personnel coming in and out. I mean, you can see it on games: People are running in and out; we're changing plays here and there. So it's definitely been an issue."

"It's something that shouldn't happen," Brown said. "[Opposing offenses] run people in and off because they know we're having issues with that upstairs in the box. So people are going to keep doing it, running in and off. I mean, teams that usually are the slowest teams on the ball, they're hurrying up on us and trying to get plays because they know it's something that we've had issues with."

In the latest expression of frustration from Bills defensive players, LB Preston Brown says calls from the coaches' booth have been coming in late this season.

When you're lining up 9 or 10 against 11, or people are constantly out of place...someone's going to look bad.

I'd like to think it would get better...but...with the new guy Rex brought in...um...

It wasn't a secret. As Ryan's defense declined the past season and a half, TV cameras often caught Payton and Ryan visibly upset and snapping at each other on the sideline during games.

A source within the Saints organization said most of the sideline issues revolved around Ryan's calls coming in late or the wrong defense being called. The source, who was granted anonymity to speak freely of the situation, said that happened "at least 40 or 50 times this year."

These late substitution chess matches worked alot better when teams huddled for longer periods. But when teams are huddling for less than 10 seconds and the QB is at the line scanning a defense for most of the play clock..not so much.
                        This is why I'm so excited that we are literally doubling down on stupid with our defense this upcoming year.

being sarcastic of course
                        I came.
                        I saw.
                        I conquered.

Comment

• Victor7
                          • Jul 2013

And that is where you lose me. Historically bad to me would indicate to me that we were run all over and gouged for yards but, being not last in any defensive category that I can find, makes it hard for me to go with.
                          Well we also have a stellar DLine so that helps the stats but I see your point.
                          Last edited by Victor7; 03-07-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• cookie G
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                            This is why I'm so excited that we are literally doubling down on stupid with our defense this upcoming year.

being sarcastic of course
                            Don't tell me about the pregnancy test, show me the baby.

I miss Marv, if for nothing else, he used WWII analogies instead of pregnancy.

Comment

• Victor7
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by cookie G View Post

Dude look up my posts on Rex and his staff. You won't find a bigger detractor. I hate what they did to our D. But that doesn't take from the very below average performers we send out there. Like I said, aside from Brown the rest are very unworthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X