PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning

Victor7
03-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Surprised there's no thread on this

Not that it wasn't obvious but it is now confirmed he's retiring.

What are your thoughts on this man ?

I was lucky to see him play 3 different times. All 3 wins. Once at the Ralph beating us and twice at Denver beating Cleveland and this year's playoff win vs Pitt.

Amazing player. Made quarterbacking look easy. 2015 was sort of bittersweet. I'm happy he got to ride out winning the big game. But it was also painfully sad to see him play the way he played. He had nothing left in that game. I mean nothing.

But still. One of the greatest to ever do it. Certainly the best regular season QB of all time if you ask me. His post season record for sure is a bit of downer but as I have always said. Wins is not a quarterback statistic. For every one of those losses in which he wasn't as good as he was in the regular season you can find one where he was money and other factors lost the game. Its just not a fair stat for grading QB's.

Dude's also a quite funny dork on commercials. His SNL skits are also laugh-worthy

He also pretty much nailed his retirement speech. He was well prepared even for that one.

Best of luck to Manning. I expect him to be coaching soon and kicking ass at that too.

Omaha!

justasportsfan
03-07-2016, 11:51 AM
I just hope Brady doesn't go out the same way. Hope he goes out a cheating loser.

YardRat
03-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Maybe the greatest regular season QB of all time...one of the few in the history of the game that could make the entire offense better just by being on the field. Probably the smartest ever, too. A little ironic that his two rings came on the shoulders of a defense, however. I also like his media presence, he does a great job with commercials. Best of luck to him in his retirement.

sukie
03-07-2016, 12:29 PM

I was lucky to see him play 3 different times. All 3 wins. Once at the Ralph beating us and twice at Denver beating Cleveland and this year's playoff win vs Pitt.

Amazing player. Made quarterbacking look easy. 2015 was sort of bittersweet. I'm happy he got to ride out winning the big game. But it was also painfully sad to see him play the way he played. He had nothing left in that game. I mean nothing.

But still. One of the greatest to ever do it. Certainly the best regular season QB of all time if you ask me. His post season record for sure is a bit of downer but as I have always said. Wins is not a quarterback statistic. For every one of those losses in which he wasn't as good as he was in the regular season you can find one where he was money and other factors lost the game. Its just not a fair stat for grading QB's.

Dude's also a quite funny dork on commercials. His SNL skits are also laugh-worthy

He also pretty much nailed his retirement speech. He was well prepared even for that one.

Best of luck to Manning. I expect him to be coaching soon and kicking ass at that too.

Omaha!

Getting alot of use of that tourist visa, eh?

Victor7
03-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Getting alot of use of that tourist visa, eh?

Hey man I gotta !!

Before Trump comes over and cancels them all because we are rapists and criminals.

;-)

Bill Cody
03-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Do I think there's anything to the story that he teabagged the trainer at UT, lied about it and then destroyed the woman's career? Yes
Do I think he was taking HGH? Yes
Do I think he will basically get a pass on both because of his status as a player and the carefully cultivated and in some ways mythical image he's created? Yes

As a player he was an all time great, not top 5 but top 10. Part of the reason he didn't more championships was he a) he was a choker in the playoffs and b) he always insisted on being the highest paid player in the league so his teams had holes and depth issues, particularly on D in Indy. No doubt he wanted to keep playing which would have been the equivalent of Willie Mays in football if anyone been willing to pay him and guarantee that he'd start. He was a shell of the player he once was so it's good he quit.

sukie
03-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Hey man I gotta !!

Before Trump comes over and cancels them all because we are rapists and criminals.

;-)

Just be sure to get your bids in on wall building. There could be some serious pesos to make.

Goobylal
03-07-2016, 01:15 PM

Omaha!

Um...that's 4 times.

Mr. Pink
03-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Not a fan of him as a person.

A lot of shady stuff about him is out there and the media brushes it aside, as if they are protecting the leagues golden boy. Meanwhile any other player with those kind of issues, or even less, is talked about as the worst human being ever.

As a player, in the regular season, he was phenomenal. He took what Dan Marino as a regular season QB and turned it up a couple notches. Playoffs he was pretty average but that doesn't take away what he accomplished throughout his career on the field and he has 2 rings.

To me he's one of the top regular season QBs ever with a shaky past and personal life who played one season too long.

Ingtar33
03-07-2016, 03:07 PM
his 2nd superbowl run, against the Saints was probably the best QBing i've ever seen in my life (it wasn't his best statistical season, but when you consider the state of his team...). That whole season he was playing with a practice squad team and schooling the whole nfl with it. It takes a lot to make me sit up and be in awe of a quarterback. that season was what won me over on the discussion of payton manning being one of the best QBs of all time. It was unreal. Right up there with steve young's '94 season or Kelly's 91 season as one of the best i've ever seen.

Victor7
03-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Um...that's 4 times.

What ?

Once in Buffalo and twice in Denver. One vs Buff, one vs Browns and one vs Pitt. I think you missed the and between us & twice

pmoon6
03-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Oh noez, now ESPN and the NFL Network can spend the next month sucking Manning's ****.

The Super Bowl win was preordained for that specific purpose.

**** Peyton Manning and the NFL.

swiper
03-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Peyton Manning and his father are massive douchebags. Eli is just stupid as a warm pile of bung.

Good friggin riddance. Take your HGH with you. Cheater.

Buddo
03-07-2016, 04:03 PM
I'd take Peyton over Brady any day of the week. Not only did he get success with two different teams, he also had to play under a number of different HCs.

I also think his numbers are so big, as much due to his understanding of the game, as all of his natural talent. Almost certainly the smartest QB to ever play the game, and I'm talking football smarts.

swiper
03-07-2016, 04:10 PM
LOL. Brady lets a couple of pounds of air out of the football and all you idiots lose it.

But Manning gets caught with HGH red-handed and everyone's ready to overlook it.

Buddo must idolize Jose Canseco as well.

swiper
03-07-2016, 04:14 PM
I'd take Peyton over Brady any day of the week. Not only did he get success with two different teams, he also had to play under a number of different HCs.

I also think his numbers are so big, as much due to his understanding of the game, as all of his natural talent. Almost certainly the smartest QB to ever play the game, and I'm talking football smarts.

Anyone to call Peyton Manning the smartest QB to ever play the game never watched Roger Staubach or Joe Montana play. Peyton Manning it the most calculating perhaps. Doesn't make him the best.

Buddo
03-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Anyone to call Peyton Manning the smartest QB to ever play the game never watched Roger Staubach or Joe Montana play. Peyton Manning it the most calculating perhaps. Doesn't make him the best.

I watched Montana, a lot, and consider him to be the greatest QB of all time. Neither Manning, nor Brady, even come close to him, imho, irrespective of their numbers.

Don't, however, make the juvenile mistake, of assuming everything is black and white, in respect of QBs abilities.

Victor7
03-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Oh noez, now ESPN and the NFL Network can spend the next month sucking Manning's ****.

Well someone's in a good mood today aren't we moonman?

Mace
03-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I'll always remember Peyton as the very best QB with the very smallest collar, though Indy imho took him too much for granted and unfortunately dorked up too many drafts (sorry Bill Polian) to supply him with teams to sustain him well enough.

I love his commercials and intensity, I'm still bothered by his college issue. In the end I'll think that what they used to say about Archie ("franchise player without a franchise") was more true than not about him as well though his money was a good chunk of it.

I love that I saw him play, in the regular season, the man was a force of nature. I'll always hate how he doesn't match up to big game peers and never will understand it. I'll always love his freedom to change plays and his ability to dissect defenses at the line.

It's hard to rank the all time best QB's for their eras and opposition, but I'll always consider him one of them. You had to fear him if you were rooting against his team, had to love it if you were rooting for them.

Will never be anything like his "Omaha"'s. On to the booth or FO for him.

pmoon6
03-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Anyone to call Peyton Manning the smartest QB to ever play the game never watched Roger Staubach or Joe Montana play. Peyton Manning it the most calculating perhaps. Doesn't make him the best.Comparing post 2000 QBs to their predecessors is a joke. They played under a different set of rules. Guys like Brady and Manning are and were over protected *****es that get a flag if they get breathed on heavy. Their O-lines can consist of 5 three hundred pound homeless men because all they have to be taught is to grab and pull. Nothing will get called. That's the reason both the Patriots can plug and play virtually anyone and still have success. Their receivers also have the benefit of not taking big shots after they catch the ball because the NFL has denutted the defensive backfield.

Goobylal
03-07-2016, 06:36 PM
What ?

Once in Buffalo and twice in Denver. One vs Buff, one vs Browns and one vs Pitt. I think you missed the and between us & twice

My bad. Thought you meant you saw the Broncos beat the Browns twice in Denver.

mdcas22
03-07-2016, 06:57 PM
I don't think he is done, I look for him too come out of retirement and play for a contender and do the Farve thing.

justasportsfan
03-07-2016, 07:10 PM

Peyton Manning and his father are massive douchebags. Eli is just stupid as a warm pile of bung.

Good friggin riddance. Take your HGH with you. Cheater.

Nationwide is on your side