X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

2017 Cap Question

Does anyone know the dead money on the cap for us staring in the 2017 league year, next year at this time.

I am not proposing to be big spenders but with gilmore, potentially Tyrod, and Glenn we will need all the money we can find.
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Re: 2017 Cap Question

Seeing that Gilmore and Glenn have combined 1 year deals of $24.8M against the 2016 cap, I would say we have that same $24.8M to sign both of them + Taylor to long term deals in 2017.

The only other 2017 UFA's of any remote concern are Marquise Goodwin, Manny Lawson, Jonathan Meeks, Colton Schmidt & Robert Woods... All sign or replace guys at best.

Plus... We'll not have the $12.6M dead money for Mario Williams, Percy Harvin, Chris Williams, Leodis McKelvin, & Kraig Urbik to deal with. I don't see any reason to be hand wringing about the 2017 cap.
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 03-08-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• DesertFox24
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
      Seeing that Gilmore and Glenn have combined 1 year deals of $24.8M against the 2016 cap, I would say we have that same $24.8M to sign both of them + Taylor to long term deals in 2017.

The only other 2017 UFA's of any remote concern are Marquise Goodwin, Manny Lawson, Jonathan Meeks, Colton Schmidt & Robert Woods... All sign or replace guys at best.

Plus... We'll not have the $12.6M dead money for Mario Williams, Percy Harvin, Chris Williams, Leodis McKelvin, & Kraig Urbik to deal with. I don't see any reason to be hand wringing about the 2017 cap.
      I am not worried, it was just a question as I was curious about any dead money that may still exist next year.

Also worst case scenario another round of cuts happen for example Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams.

I saw Chris Williams still had dead money, but I think I read we cut him as a post June 1 designation last year so that is why.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
        I am not worried, it was just a question as I was curious about any dead money that may still exist next year.

Also worst case scenario another round of cuts happen for example Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams.

I saw Chris Williams still had dead money, but I think I read we cut him as a post June 1 designation last year so that is why.
        Sorry... The hand wringing reference was not intended for you.

Comment

• Ed
          • Sep 2002

As of right now the Bills have 41 players under contract for 2017 that total about $107 mil in cap spending. The 2017 cap is projected to be around $165-170 mil. That leaves the Bills with about $58-63 mil in cap space for the remaining 12 roster spots. Half of those spots will go to next years rookie class though, which shouldn't take up more than $6 mil or so. A big chunk of the remaining money will likely get eaten up by extensions for Glenn, Gilmore and Taylor. A part from those three players, the only notable free agent next year is Robert Woods. He's probably the only 2017 free agent that could get a significant contract, but he's going to have to step it up this year. I think their dead money should be fairly minimal. In terms of cap space and dead money, I think the Bills will be in better shape next year than this year.

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ed View Post
            As of right now the Bills have 41 players under contract for 2017 that total about $107 mil in cap spending. The 2017 cap is projected to be around $165-170 mil. That leaves the Bills with about $58-63 mil in cap space for the remaining 12 roster spots. Half of those spots will go to next years rookie class though, which shouldn't take up more than $6 mil or so. A big chunk of the remaining money will likely get eaten up by extensions for Glenn, Gilmore and Taylor. A part from those three players, the only notable free agent next year is Robert Woods. He's probably the only 2017 free agent that could get a significant contract, but he's going to have to step it up this year. I think their dead money should be fairly minimal. In terms of cap space and dead money, I think the Bills will be in better shape next year than this year.
            Thanks, so bills may have some money to sign two defensive players if needed. Plus Tyrod, Glenn, Gilmore, and hopefully woods (he needs to become the number 2).

I hope we do not lose Hogan as well he is a good three.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

I'd like to think we could save a few dollars to re-sign Colton Schmidt too.

Comment

Working...
              X