PDA

View Full Version : Pats make an offer to Hogan

Mace
03-10-2016, 08:45 PM
http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/report-patriots-making-an-offer-sheet-to-hogan?google_editors_picks=true

Belichick likes his tighty whities. Bye Chris. 1.67 million more to the available cap.

Edit : 1.115 million, not sure how that works but hey.

OpIv37
03-10-2016, 08:51 PM
If he wants to sell his soul to the Evil Empire, it's on him.

Of course, with the way things go for the Pats, he'll become a starter due to injury and end up with 1000 yards and 12 TD's.

Scumbag College
03-10-2016, 08:55 PM
As average and unexciting as Hogan is, he's the third best WR on the team right now. WR has quietly become a big need for the Bills.

Mace
03-10-2016, 09:15 PM

Not too sure it's about morals, though.

RandolphDuke
03-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Whatever. Say hi to Scott Chandler for me.

DesertFox24
03-10-2016, 10:42 PM
It is a business and good for him is all I will say. I wish it was not with pats but if they will
Pay him the most so be it.

BertSquirtgum
03-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Chris Hogan sucks.

stuckincincy
03-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Time again to haul out the old "steal the playbook" shibboleth...

DraftBoy
03-11-2016, 03:48 AM
Glad he was signed to an offer sheet and I hope we don't match. We need the cap space more than we need his skillset.

X-Era
03-11-2016, 04:04 AM
Glad he was signed to an offer sheet and I hope we don't match. We need the cap space more than we need his skillset.
I'm on the same page. I think he's easily replaceable.

Would you go to the draft or a cheaper FA? Thoughts on who?

trapezeus
03-11-2016, 04:14 AM
Too many drops to match the offer. If hogan goes on to be prolific, it just adds more fuel to the fire that they are doing things no other team is doing.

but dropping the football is kind of hard to overcome.

chernobylwraiths
03-11-2016, 04:41 AM
Too many drops to match the offer. If hogan goes on to be prolific, it just adds more fuel to the fire that they are doing things no other team is doing.

but dropping the football is kind of hard to overcome.

Yeah, he seemed to drop a lot more balls last year. I don't see that as a big loss. Probably bigger loss on special teams.

Is there something about Boston that requires a certain amount of white skill players? First the Celtics, now the Patriots. Eh, I guess it works for them.

Forward_Lateral
03-11-2016, 04:42 AM
Don't the Bills get draft pick compensation if he signs with the Pats?

DraftBoy
03-11-2016, 05:03 AM

I'd look at Day 3 of the Draft or UDFA in all honesty. The offense really doesn't need a big threat at #3 WR so it may be best to get a young guy who you can groom to challenge Woods in a couple of years. We signed Charles Clay for a reason he should be the #2 or #3 option on most plays over the slot WR in Roman's scheme for Taylor.

Some names to consider draft wise:
Aaron Burridge - Michigan State
Malcolm Mitchell - UGA
Tajee Sharpe - UMass
Charone Peake - Clemson
Jalin Marshall - Ohio State

DraftBoy
03-11-2016, 05:04 AM
Don't the Bills get draft pick compensation if he signs with the Pats?

No, they gave Hogan the lowest tag, there is no comp if he signs.

TacklingDummy
03-11-2016, 05:58 AM
Whatever. Say hi to Scott Chandler for me.

They met at the airport.
Chandler was on his way out (cut), Hogan was on his way in.

Jry44
03-11-2016, 06:11 AM

Of course, with the way things go for the Pats, he'll become a starter due to injury and end up with 1000 yards and 12 TD's.

I don't get this sentiment. They grossly miss on guys that people assume will blow up the stat sheet when they sign for them.

Night Train
03-11-2016, 06:20 AM
I don't get this sentiment. They grossly miss on guys that people assume will blow up the stat sheet when they sign for them.

You mean like Scott Chandler, who was cut last week ?

Buffalogic
03-11-2016, 06:21 AM
Good get rid of him. Let's see what Dezmin Lewis has.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-11-2016, 06:30 AM
Chris Hogan runs clean, precise routes. I think I posted that I saw the pre-game practice several years ago here in Heinz field (pre-season game) that Hogan really stood out in terms running routes. It's not hard to imagine for precision QBs like Brady love Hogan type of guys. On the other hand, though, Hogan does not seem to fit into the shot area quickness waterbug mode like Edelman -- Brady gets the ball out quick, Edelman type is perfect for that offense.

OpIv37
03-11-2016, 06:38 AM

Yeah that's the thing. No one expects Hogan to light up the stat sheet because no one outside of Buffalo knows who he is.

sdbillsfan2
03-11-2016, 06:38 AM
He figures if he doesn't go elsewhere he'll never see the playoffs.

Buffalogic
03-11-2016, 06:55 AM
Wow Pats offered him 3 years 12 million...Later Hogan.

Historian
03-11-2016, 07:14 AM
Matt Moulson could do what Hogan did here.

Hey...that's not a bad idea!

sukie
03-11-2016, 07:29 AM
Time again to haul out the old "steal the playbook" shibboleth...

Maybe Hogan can give them the D playbook,,, It will take a team of 12 analytical experts until week 11 to decipher it.

sdbillsfan2
03-11-2016, 07:30 AM
What pisses me off most is that NewEngland was and is a better team and still have 12mil to throw to the likes of a guy like Hogan. Who fault is that ??? Thanks OBD . Starting to question the Pegula's front office decisions.

Jry44
03-11-2016, 07:42 AM
You mean like Scott Chandler, who was cut last week ?

That's one example. Or Chad Johnson. Or Amendola, and Zachary Suffield after Gronk got hurt. And Albert Haynesworth. They miss on these more than they hit. Welker might be the only average player they signed that went nuts in their system.

sukie
03-11-2016, 07:46 AM
What pisses me off most is that NewEngland was and is a better team and still have 12mil to throw to the likes of a guy like Hogan. Who fault is that ??? Thanks OBD . Starting to question the Pegula's front office decisions.

They, for the most part , do not spend lavishly on FAs.

Take Buffalo's deal for Shady... WEhy not just draft a RB... Run them into the ground under a rookie contract, then let him walk. Rinse. Repeat.

Victor7
03-11-2016, 08:00 AM
No shot in hell Bills match that offer.

Always liked Hogan. He had an off year in 2015. Lots of drops. But he was your typical over achiever. I like those players. I wish him luck. I just wished he'd gone elsewhere.

GingerP
03-11-2016, 08:07 AM
The difference in savings is because the top-51 rule is in place in the offseason. Hogan's 1.67M comes off the books, but the 52nd salary moves up and counts now, in this case $555K.

Dozerdog
03-11-2016, 08:08 AM
Yeah, he seemed to drop a lot more balls last year. I don't see that as a big loss. Probably bigger loss on special teams.

Is there something about Boston that requires a certain amount of white skill players? First the Celtics, now the Patriots. Eh, I guess it works for them.

It all started with the Bruins....

OpIv37
03-11-2016, 08:10 AM
The difference in savings is because the top-51 rule is in place in the offseason. Hogan's 1.67M comes off the books, but the 52nd salary moves up and counts now, in this case $555K.

So we get just over a million back.

Btw, this is exactly how we got Clay from the Fish last year.

Forward_Lateral
03-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Smell ya later Hogan.

4 million per for a guy that hasn't done anything.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2016, 08:13 AM

First off, I'm not sure that throwing 12 million at Hogan is even a good idea.

Second, New England loses talent all the time. They are just good enough to replace it. Just in the last few years they lost Ridley, Vereen, Wilfork, Mayo, and Hernandez but the train keeps rolling.

Ed
03-11-2016, 08:39 AM
That's because they have Tom Brady, the best qb in the league, and he's willing to take less than what he's worth. His cap hit this season and next is only $14 mil. I think there are at least 10 qb's in the league with higher cap numbers than Brady.

Forward_Lateral
03-11-2016, 08:40 AM

Second, New England loses talent all the time. They are just good enough to replace it. Just in the last few years they lost Ridley, Vereen, Wilfork, Mayo, and Hernandez but the train keeps rolling.

Because they have Tom Brady. Put a mediocre QB on that team, and they are bottom tier.

coastal
03-11-2016, 08:53 AM
white slot guy to run their oh so exciting 5 yard pick play patterns.

sdbillsfan2
03-11-2016, 09:09 AM

No matter how they're doing it ...it's working. 17 yrs of no playoffs vs. a perennial playoff team. One team continues to succeed and the other is left with " oh well maybe next year "
PS ..sorry about getting off the original subject.

Joe Fo Sho
03-11-2016, 09:20 AM
That's because they have Tom Brady, the best qb in the league, and he's willing to take less than what he's worth. His cap hit this season and next is only $14 mil. I think there are at least 10 qb's in the league with higher cap numbers than Brady.

Then they funnel millions of dollars to him through his TB12 company to skirt the salary cap.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Because they have Tom Brady. Put a mediocre QB on that team, and they are bottom tier.

No matter how they're doing it ...it's working. 17 yrs of no playoffs vs. a perennial playoff team. One team continues to succeed and the other is left with " oh well maybe next year "
PS ..sorry about getting off the original subject.

It's not just Tom Brady, it's Bill Belichick. When they do go out and get an elite player, he makes the system fit them, rather then stubbornly insisting players do it his way. Does he ask Gronk to block so they can run 30x a game like they did in 2001? Does he ask his weak OL to block for 4 seconds so Brady can throw deep streaks? Does he insist Darrelle Revis play zone corner because that's how he's always coached? He puts his players in a position to excel, we put them in positions to fail.

EDS
03-11-2016, 09:35 AM
white slot guy to run their oh so exciting 5 yard pick play patterns.

Obviously, that has not worked for them . . .

coastal
03-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Obviously, that has not worked for them . . .oh I know...

once again the highlight of Bills' fans years is going to be if the Pats lose in the Playoffs.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-11-2016, 09:51 AM
It's not just Tom Brady, it's Bill Belichick. When they do go out and get an elite player, he makes the system fit them, rather then stubbornly insisting players do it his way. Does he ask Gronk to block so they can run 30x a game like they did in 2001? Does he ask his weak OL to block for 4 seconds so Brady can throw deep streaks? Does he insist Darrelle Revis play zone corner because that's how he's always coached? He puts his players in a position to excel, we put them in positions to fail.

I disagree. It is about Brady. What did Belichick do before he had Brady as a HC? What you gotta give Belichick credit for is from the very early stage, he recognized what Brady has and started building the team catering to Brady's strength.

I hate Brady as much like any other Bills fan. BUT really I hate him because he's not Bills QB. The guy is so competitive that he's putting the team above personal ego (in terms of the #1 money maker that so many NFL players are measured against each other)? Heck even our hero Kelly can't let the money issue slide.

Of course it changes your pespective if your wife is making more money than you, right?

Forward_Lateral
03-11-2016, 09:56 AM
It's about Brady. Bellichick coached the Browns and was mediocre.

Brady wins the games, not the coach.

EDS
03-11-2016, 10:17 AM
It's about Brady. Bellichick coached the Browns and was mediocre.

Brady wins the games, not the coach.

Belicheck did get the Browns to the playoffs one year, even won a playoff game I believe, which is more that can be said for any Bills coach since Marv Levy.

Forward_Lateral
03-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Belicheck did get the Browns to the playoffs one year, even won a playoff game I believe, which is more that can be said for any Bills coach since Marv Levy.

He got them to the playoffs, and they lost in the divisional round. I did not say he is not a good coach now. I said he's not the reason the Patriots are a dynasty. The coach never is.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2016, 12:03 PM
He got them to the playoffs, and they lost in the divisional round.

That is correct, but still. He won a playoff game in Cleveland!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199501010cle.htm

Belichick coached the Browns' last playoff win.

I did not say he is not a good coach now. I said he's not the reason the Patriots are a dynasty. The coach never is.

That's ridiculous. The guy has rolled out Top 10 scoring defense in 12 of the last 15 years. He held the Greatest Shot on Turf to 17 points. He beat Seattle on a last-second turnover because he knew the exact play they would run in that situation and prepared for it.

Joe Fo Sho
03-11-2016, 12:09 PM
He held the Greatest Shot on Turf to 17 points. He beat Seattle on a last-second turnover because he knew the exact play they would run in that situation and prepared for it.

I know, right? It was almost like he was at their practices!

IlluminatusUIUC
03-11-2016, 12:20 PM
I know, right? It was almost like he was at their practices!

That report was retracted 8 years ago

Joe Fo Sho
03-11-2016, 12:54 PM
That report was retracted 8 years ago

Ha

Buffalogic
03-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Bills officially (as we already knew) are not matching that silly offer.

Night Train
03-11-2016, 01:55 PM
We won't match. He's a 3rd,4th WR on that team.

I'd wish him luck but it's the Pats.

No big loss.

swiper
03-11-2016, 04:46 PM
We won't match. He's a 3rd,4th WR on that team.

I'd wish him luck but it's the Pats.

No big loss.

PFT all but called him the second coming of Wes Welker here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/11/bills-wont-match-patriots-offer-to-wide-receiver-chris-hogan/

Mace
03-11-2016, 04:59 PM
PFT all but called him the second coming of Wes Welker here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/11/bills-wont-match-patriots-offer-to-wide-receiver-chris-hogan/

Wouldn't surprise me. The Bills just didn't do anything in terms of slot work, slants, timing patterns and it was Taylor's first year as a starter. No helping it. Amendola is brittle. I don't know how Hogan would do anywhere else, but I can easily see him doing well with the Pats. Read an offseason article that said the guy was working like a maniac. Those are the guys Billy B loves, and the guys that thrive there.

If he does succeed there, well, we weren't equipped to use him like they will, so no feeling bad about it.

justasportsfan
03-11-2016, 05:00 PM
No big loss. Now Dareus and/or Kyle are going to drop back and cover him.

YardRat
03-11-2016, 05:09 PM

I'd look at Day 3 of the Draft or UDFA in all honesty. The offense really doesn't need a big threat at #3 WR so it may be best to get a young guy who you can groom to challenge Woods in a couple of years. We signed Charles Clay for a reason he should be the #2 or #3 option on most plays over the slot WR in Roman's scheme for Taylor.

Some names to consider draft wise:
Aaron Burridge - Michigan State
Malcolm Mitchell - UGA
Tajee Sharpe - UMass
Charone Peake - Clemson
Jalin Marshall - Ohio State

Hogan's replacement is probably already on the roster in the form of Greg 'JetStank' Salas.

Mace
03-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Greg 'JetStank' Salas.

Made me laugh out loud.

sudzy
03-12-2016, 04:13 AM
If he was signing with any other team I would goodbye. In NE he will be the next Wes Walker.

justasportsfan
03-12-2016, 08:05 AM
If he was signing with any other team I would goodbye. In NE he will be the next Wes Walker.

I wouldn't go that far but he could be very good with a qb like Brady .

I would blame the drops and lack of production on not being in sync with Tyrod. Hogan was a good route runner. Another great route runner is Woods. Even his numbers dropped. Neither receivers are in sync with Tyrod since you don't know if he is going to run or throw the ball. Even Clay was useless with Tyrod.

Only Watkins benefited from Tyrods deep ball just like Evans did with Losman.

Hogan could do very well with Brady who depends on route running and timing with his receivers.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2016, 08:07 AM

If they start taking targets from Edelman and Gronk to throw passes to Chris Hogan, that's a win for us IMO.

justasportsfan
03-12-2016, 08:14 AM
If they start taking targets from Edelman and Gronk to throw passes to Chris Hogan, that's a win for us IMO.

If they are throwing to Hogan, that could be a problem . That's means he's making catches which means less wear and tear on Gronk and Edelman.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2016, 08:23 AM
If they are throwing to Hogan, that could be a problem . That's means he's making catches which means less wear and tear on Gronk and Edelman.

Are you seriously scared of playing Chris Hogan? Were any opponents scared of him when we played? I'd happily let Gronk and Edelman finish the game with clean jerseys if Brady never throws their way.

justasportsfan
03-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Are you seriously scared of playing Chris Hogan? Were any opponents scared of him when we played? I'd happily let Gronk and Edelman finish the game with clean jerseys if Brady never throws their way.

I wasn't scared of Edelman when they got rid of Welker. Look at him now.

Just saying we just shouldn't dismiss him when a coach like BB sees something in him. He could be a successful receiver under a system/qb the pats have had or he.could be a failure like Chandler.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-12-2016, 08:42 AM
I wasn't scared of Edelman when they got rid of Welker. Look at him now.

Just saying we just shouldn't dismiss him when a coach like BB sees something in him. He could be a successful receiver under a system/qb the pats have had or he.could be a failure like Chandler.

Edelman was always a better and more versatile athlete then Hogan, that's why they had him returning kicks and punts for years before his role in the offense solidified.

I thought Hogan was a decent 3rd wideout here, but in New England he's likely to be their 5th or 6th receiving option behind Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and Lewis. Unlike Chandler, Hogan doesn't create a big physical mismatch so I don't see this as a huge upgrade for them.

ParanoidAndroid
03-12-2016, 09:25 AM
I see him as the more natural wide out of all of them. Edelman will continue to get the most looks underneath but Hogan can get open and his routes are QB friendly. However, do you game plan for him? No. He'll likely be a marginal upgrade over Brandon LaFell and nothing more. He does still have some upside, though, remembering he's still relatively new to the game.

GingerP
03-12-2016, 09:54 AM
Edelman was always a better and more versatile athlete then Hogan, that's why they had him returning kicks and punts for years before his role in the offense solidified.

I think Hogan is a comparable athlete to Edelman. Hogan is a little bigger and stronger, Edelman is a little quicker.

Compare their Pro Day results:

Edelman

4.52 40, 2.58 20-yard split, 1.52 10-yard split, 14 times bench press, 36.5 vertical, 10'-3" broad jump, 3.92 short shuttle, 6.62 3-Cone

Hogan:

4.50 40, 2.63 20-yard split, 1.57 10-yard split, 28 times bench press, 36.5 vertical, 10'-6" broad jump, 4.15 short shuttle, 6.75 3-Cone

I think the biggest difference is Edelman was a 4-year starter (3 at Kent State) as an option QB in college. That is where he picked up his skills as a great open-field runner and why he is a great return guy. Hogan didn't play football for years before going to Monmouth, where he played as much defensive back as WR (he had 12 catches in his one year of college football). Hogan is a much better athlete than people think, but as much as Edelman was making a transition from option QB to WR, Hogan's jump was much bigger.

I don't think he is Edelman in their system, but I heard a comparison to David Givens and that makes some sense. They have about the same size and athelicism, and Givens was a project as well since he mostly played RB in college.

justasportsfan
03-12-2016, 02:07 PM

I thought Hogan was a decent 3rd wideout here, but in New England he's likely to be their 5th or 6th receiving option behind Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and Lewis. Unlike Chandler, Hogan doesn't create a big physical mismatch so I don't see this as a huge upgrade for them.

That's because Edelman has been playing football longer than Hogan. It's not what Hogan can do that I'm worried about, it's what BB and Brady can do if Hogan hits his prime now. If Hogan gets it he can double up his production in a system that isn't Hackett or with a qb that isn't EJ or Tyrod.

jimmifli
03-12-2016, 07:29 PM
His habit of running a yard short of the first down on 3rd down was irritating.

Mace
03-12-2016, 07:48 PM
His habit of running a yard short of the first down on 3rd down was irritating.

I kind of think that's just a flaw built into the Bills offense. For some reason they've been doing it for a decade.

ParanoidAndroid
03-12-2016, 07:52 PM
I kind of think that's just a flaw built into the Bills offense. For some reason they've been doing it for a decade.

I remember Josh Reed doing that a lot, too.

Frenchman
03-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Well Hogan has a huge choice either Pats or whoever takes him!

swiper
03-13-2016, 03:59 AM
LOL @ $12 million - $7.5 million guaranteed for Hogan. He's just not good.

Follow
<button class="user-actions-follow-button js-follow-btn follow-button btn" type="button" style="color: rgb(41, 47, 51); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: bold; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 14px; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 1px solid rgb(225, 232, 237); padding: 4px 12px 9px; border-radius: 4px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; background: linear-gradient(rgb(255, 255, 255), rgb(245, 248, 250)) no-repeat rgb(245, 248, 250);"></button>

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/525027798851678208/_gep2s4I_bigger.jpegIan Ripafart (https://twitter.com/RapSheet)

The full deal for #Patriots (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Patriots?src=hash) WR Chris Hogan: 3 yrs, $12M with $7.5M guaranteed and $5.5M in the first year. #Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) people seem happy for him

DynaPaul
03-13-2016, 08:31 AM
I'm kind of baffled by this signing.

Goobylal
03-13-2016, 01:41 PM
He'll make as much impact as Chandler did.

Mace
03-13-2016, 01:58 PM
I'm kind of baffled by this signing.

I can relate to this. I've been baffled before, myself, and it's puzzling.