PDA

View Full Version : Pats trade Chandler Jones to Cardinals for Jonathan Cooper and 2nd rounder (#61)

IlluminatusUIUC
03-15-2016, 12:53 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cards-Pats blockbuster from <a href="https://twitter.com/diannaESPN">@diannaESPN</a> and me: Cards trade G Jonathan Cooper + 2nd-rd pick to NE for DE Chandler Jones, per sources.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/709813751013384192">March 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well that's a shocker. Jones was Cordy Glenn's nightmare these last few years, good to see him leave the conference.

chris66
03-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Pats weren't going to pay him anyway. They have to take care of Collins, Hightower and Butler at the end of the year.

Joe Fo Sho
03-15-2016, 12:57 PM
While I don't like seeing NE making moves to improve their offensive line, I'm happy Jones is gone. Now we only have to play him once next year.

Mace
03-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Nice move for Arians.

Ed
03-15-2016, 01:19 PM
I don't know if Cooper has been any good, but I remember him being one of the more highly regarded OG prospects in a while. I believe he was a top 10 pick, but missed his rookie year due to a broken leg. Cooper and a 2nd seems like pretty good value for Jones.

Buffalogic
03-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Pats have to pick up Cooper's option at 11 mil or he hits FA next year.

chris66
03-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Turn it into a signing bonus if need be

Buffalogic
03-15-2016, 02:05 PM
^ Not Possible.

mightysimi
03-15-2016, 02:06 PM
He was hurt and lost his job at the end of the season. He was one of the highest rated OG prospects in a while if I'm not mistaken.

DraftBoy
03-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Cooper could be a bigger gain for them then losing Jones if he gets back to being healthy. Both teams may get better out of this deal.

k-oneputt
03-15-2016, 03:34 PM
I'll take my chances with Cooper in New England instead of Jones that's for damn sure. Jones was always a problem when we played the Pats.
The Pats also get the Cards 2nd rd. pick so that should be a player that can help them though.

Goobylal
03-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Cooper has shown little, even when healthy. And his contract is up at the end of this season.

Crisis
03-15-2016, 05:40 PM
Glad Jones is out of the division, he absolutely abuses Cordy Glenn every time we play the Pats*

mightysimi
03-15-2016, 08:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/15/chris-long-will-sign-with-patriots/

Looks like Chris Long will be the replacement.

Goobylal
03-15-2016, 08:35 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/15/chris-long-will-sign-with-patriots/

Looks like Chris Long will be the replacement.

Hardly. He might play a handful of games at Chandler's spot, but he'll be a major downgrade.

DesertFox24
03-15-2016, 09:51 PM
Oh well teams will make changes not sure how this works out. At least it is a late second rounder so hopefully it is a bust

chris66
03-16-2016, 04:15 AM
Hardly. He might play a handful of games at Chandler's spot, but he'll be a major downgrade.
Role player. Ninkovich and sheard will be the starters. Sheard is also entering his last year as well. He is a better all around player than Jones.

Goobylal
03-16-2016, 08:05 AM
Role player. Ninkovich and sheard will be the starters. Sheard is also entering his last year as well. He is a better all around player than Jones.

Yeah, no he isn't. And I doubt anyone would agree with you.

chris66
03-16-2016, 09:21 AM
Yeah, no he isn't. And I doubt anyone would agree with you.
Sheard is more consistent. Jones starts off fast then fades as the year goes on. This move was expected at some point before the draft.

Bill Cody
03-16-2016, 12:59 PM
The Pats didn't get a lot for a top pass rusher. It's mostly about the draft pick, doubt Cooper even starts. My guess is Jones little episode with synthetic marijuana pissed off Belichick. If he was a low maintenance guy you probably hold onto him and let him walk and get a comp 3rd.

Goobylal
03-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Sheard is more consistent. Jones starts off fast then fades as the year goes on. This move was expected at some point before the draft.

LOL! That's what Pats fans are trying to convince themselves. This move is a downgrade for sure and it all depends on what that mid-2nd rounder does for them because Cooper is a bust.

Goobylal
03-16-2016, 02:19 PM
The Pats didn't get a lot for a top pass rusher. It's mostly about the draft pick, doubt Cooper even starts. My guess is Jones little episode with synthetic marijuana pissed off Belichick. If he was a low maintenance guy you probably hold onto him and let him walk and get a comp 3rd.

I'm sure the spice thing played a part, but take a look at their current list of UFA's at the end of 2016:

LB Dont'a Hightower
DE Jabaal Sheard
OT Sebastian Vollmer
OL Marcus Cannon
DE Rob Ninkovich
DT Alan Branch
OG Jonathan Cooper (who they just traded for)
CB Logan Ryan
SS Duron Harmon
WR Matthew Slater
DT Chris Jones
RB Brandon Bolden
LB Jamie Collins
WR Aaron Dobson
LB Jon Bostic
DT Ishmaa'ily Kitchen
FB James Devlin
LB Eric Martin
LB Ramon Humber
CB Rashaan Melvin
DE Chris Long

That's 21 UFA's! And Hightower, Collins, and Ninkovich will be looking for huge new deals, while Vollmer may be as well. They also have CB Malcolm Butler, who will be a RFA, but will be tendered at the highest level and likely hold out looking for the big bucks, as well as 12 other RFA/ERFA who will cost more to retain.

chris66
03-16-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm sure the spice thing played a part, but take a look at their current list of UFA's at the end of 2016:

LB Dont'a Hightower
DE Jabaal Sheard
OT Sebastian Vollmer
OL Marcus Cannon
DE Rob Ninkovich
DT Alan Branch
OG Jonathan Cooper (who they just traded for)
CB Logan Ryan
SS Duron Harmon
WR Matthew Slater
DT Chris Jones
RB Brandon Bolden
LB Jamie Collins
WR Aaron Dobson
LB Jon Bostic
DT Ishmaa'ily Kitchen
FB James Devlin
LB Eric Martin
LB Ramon Humber
CB Rashaan Melvin
DE Chris Long

That's 21 UFA's! And Hightower, Collins, and Ninkovich will be looking for huge new deals, while Vollmer may be as well. They also have CB Malcolm Butler, who will be a RFA, but will be tendered at the highest level and likely hold out looking for the big bucks, as well as 12 other RFA/ERFA who will cost more to retain.

And that is why Jones was traded. In order of importance
Collins
Hightower
Butler
Sheard

Goobylal
03-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Sheard only gets re-signed because he won't cost nearly as much as Jones. And they're probably going to have to give Gronk a raise or watch him hold out.

YardRat
03-16-2016, 04:52 PM

Why would one want a comp third in '17 over a second in '16, especially considering they don't have a first this year?

Mace
03-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Why would one want a comp third in '17 over a second in '16, especially considering they don't have a first this year?

Speaking of drafts, you know the simulator has the comp picks now ? You'll be sore at me but I still can't bring myself to take Aguayo.

YardRat
03-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Speaking of drafts, you know the simulator has the comp picks now ? You'll be sore at me but I still can't bring myself to take Aguayo.

Off I go...

ICRockets
03-16-2016, 05:40 PM
And now the Bears gave them Martellus Bennett for a 4th round pick. ****ing hell....

Mace
03-16-2016, 05:43 PM
And now the Bears gave them Martellus Bennett for a 4th round pick. ****ing hell....

Oof. Good thing Kyle & Dareus can cover te's.

coastal
03-16-2016, 08:38 PM
Sheard is a five card stud... just sayin'