PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Market Set?

DraftBoy
03-18-2016, 04:50 AM
Could this be a sign of where the Glenn contract may end up?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14997752/denver-broncos-add-russell-okung-trade-ryan-clady

Terms of Okung's deal weren't announced by the Broncos, but a source told ESPN's Josina Anderson that the contract is worth an average of $10.6 million per season ($11.2 million maximum if he reaches incentives).

He will earn $5 million in the first year of the deal with incentives that could push the total to $8 million. The Broncos have a team option after the first season that must be exercised by the start of the 2017 league year. If the option is exercised, Okung would be paid $48 million, with $20.5 million guaranteed, for the remainder of the contract.

YardRat
03-18-2016, 04:55 AM
I would be surprised if Glenn's agent agreed to what is basically a one-year, prove-it or lose-it type deal, especially for that little money.

DraftBoy
03-18-2016, 05:05 AM
I would be surprised if Glenn's agent agreed to what is basically a one-year, prove-it or lose-it type deal, especially for that little money.

Agreed, I was more talking about the annual average and guaranteed cash.

coastal
03-18-2016, 05:29 AM
Well they're both offensive linemen... so you got that right.

Scumbag College
03-18-2016, 05:47 AM
I hate to say it, but if I was Glenn's agent I would argue for more money than Okung is getting due to Okung's recent injury history.

coastal
03-18-2016, 05:54 AM
Yeah but the name "Okung" is a much cooler sounding name for an offensive linemen than "Cordy" is, so advantage Okung.

The Jokeman
03-18-2016, 06:22 AM
Yeah but the name "Okung" is a much cooler sounding name for an offensive linemen than "Cordy" is, so advantage Okung.

To be fair Okung is his last name so is Russell > Cordy? I'm not so sure.

Joe Fo Sho
03-18-2016, 06:25 AM
To be fair Okung is his last name so is Russell > Cordy? I'm not so sure.

Looks like we'll have to go to the middle names to find the truth.

If Whaley does use this information as a bargaining chip he doesn't deserve to keep his job.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-18-2016, 07:47 AM
I saw that and I was confused. Are the Broncos giving up on Clady for good?

Ed
03-18-2016, 08:42 AM
OL Kelechi Osemele got a 5 yr $60 mil deal from the Raiders earlier in free agency so I was thinking something similar for Glenn. I'm not sure how people grade/compare Glenn and Osemele, but I would guess that Glenn's deal is going to average out to about $11-12 mil/year with his 2016 cap hit reducing to about $10 mil.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw that and I was confused. Are the Broncos giving up on Clady for good?
He's apparently on the trading block.

stuckincincy
03-18-2016, 08:58 AM
MIN inked OT Andre Smith to a one-year $1M guaranteed , $3.5M incentive contract. Good for HC Zimmer - he knows what happens when Smith gets a multi-year contract...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14994499/minnesota-vikings-ot-andre-smith-agree-one-year-deal

Ginger Vitis
03-18-2016, 09:41 AM
I thought I read somewhere the Raiders went into the offseason with $82 million dollars in cap space although I find that figure hard to believe.. Regardless they had a ****load of cap room and could give Osemele a obscene contract and have raised the bar tremendously going forward for the guard market.. After the rookie draft pool is accounted for and there recent foray into FA(Osemele..SMith..Irvin) they stlll have almost $30 million in cap space

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/cap/

feldspar
03-18-2016, 10:32 AM
Okung is really only signed up for a one-year contract worth $5 million, from what I understand. After this coming year, there is a team option for the next 4 years at $12 million per. There isn't much guaranteed money.

So, no, this doesn't set the market for Glenn, really.

This is just what happens when a player wants to act as his own agent, like Okung did. Might not be the smartest thing for him to do IMO.

jimmifli
03-18-2016, 11:30 AM

What Cordy Glenn sounds awesome. We could play 18 on a warm and breezy Sunday morning, I hear the back nine of Cordy Glenn is really challenging.

Mace
03-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Cordy Okung would be the best alternative here, imho, but better to keep Glenn if we have no Russell, though there's always "What does Okung do if he gets injured and falls in a pile of dry leaves ?" Ha ha.

Glenn Cordy also sounds better than Okung Russell, though same thing again if he gets hurt and falls in a pile of dry leaves.

Mean time though, I'm guessing Glenn will want Osemele money (Okung Osemele is the play here, though Keleche Okung has some snap to it). Osemele has most played left guard with stints at left tackle. Glenn is the same age, if not as versatile, but more experienced at the blindside.

I'm also thinking they should pay him Osemele money, because he's proven at the level Osemele is ascending to.

Goobylal
03-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Okung has made a Pro Bowl in his career and won a SB. That gets him more money than Cordy.

Mace
03-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Okung has made a Pro Bowl in his career and won a SB. That gets him more money than Cordy.

Then how did Osemele make more money being mostly a guard, than Okung did ? Osemele has a title (at guard), no pro bowls ? You really think Glenn will make less than 8 million this season ?

mdcas22
03-18-2016, 06:35 PM
I hate to say it, but if I was Glenn's agent I would argue for more money than Okung is getting due to Okung's recent injury history.

both Okung and Clady are pro bowler's while Glenn is not. that has to weigh a lot when it comes to money. Glenn is a good left tackle on a bad o-line. last year was fair because of Incognito.

Goobylal
03-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Then how did Osemele make more money being mostly a guard, than Okung did ? Osemele has a title (at guard), no pro bowls ? You really think Glenn will make less than 8 million this season ?

Because the Raiders are stupid. And no, I don't expect Glenn to make less than $8M/year, but not more than $10M/year either.

Mace
03-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Because the Raiders are stupid. And no, I don't expect Glenn to make less than $8M/year, but not more than $10M/year either.

That's about what I think, though I'd call the numbers by average (7 this year, 13 next, avg 10, etc). After this year their cap situation improves dramatically and they can afford to shuffle his numbers with guaranteed money.