PDA

View Full Version : Patriots making move after move

The King
03-18-2016, 11:58 AM
You gotta be kidding me with this team.

How are we supposed to close the gap when they're getting players at discounts and acquiring everything under the sun?

<tbody>
3/17
Martellus Bennett (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/564954/martellus-bennett)
TE
traded from Bears, w/ draft pick for 2016 4th-round pick

3/17
Donald Brown (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1251085/donald-brown)
RB
signed from Chargers, One-year contract (through 2016)

3/15
Jonathan Cooper (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630322/jonathan-cooper)
G
traded from Cardinals, w/ 2nd-round pick for DE Chandler Jones

3/15
Nate Ebner (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1971895/nate-ebner)
S
re-signed/unrestricted free agent, Two-year contract (through 2017)

3/11
Chris Hogan (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1891917/chris-hogan)
WR
signed/offer sheet from Bills, Three-year contract (through 2018)

</tbody>

and Now Chris Long.

streetkings01
03-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Traded away their best pass rusher got a bust at OG in return.

Night Train
03-18-2016, 02:15 PM
That's impressive ?

If the Bills did that, all the "Wrecks" posters would be out in their glory.

Yasgur's Farm
03-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Paid $4M/year for our #3 or 4 WR... Of coarse Brady will make him into another Welker.

feldspar
03-18-2016, 02:29 PM
That's impressive ?

If the Bills did that, all the "Wrecks" posters would be out in their glory.

Yeah, the same old humps would come out in force claiming that the front office is trying to dupe people into buying tickets too.

Can't win with that crowd.

YardRat
03-18-2016, 03:00 PM
A lot of people want to play for a cheater...errrr...winner.

trapezeus
03-18-2016, 03:15 PM
Bennett is the one strong move and even that comes with a huge cap hit.

X-Era
03-18-2016, 03:58 PM
You gotta be kidding me with this team.

How are we supposed to close the gap when they're getting players at discounts and acquiring everything under the sun?

<tbody>
3/17
Martellus Bennett (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/564954/martellus-bennett)
TE
traded from Bears, w/ draft pick for 2016 4th-round pick

3/17
Donald Brown (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1251085/donald-brown)
RB
signed from Chargers, One-year contract (through 2016)

3/15
Jonathan Cooper (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1630322/jonathan-cooper)
G
traded from Cardinals, w/ 2nd-round pick for DE Chandler Jones

3/15
Nate Ebner (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1971895/nate-ebner)
S
re-signed/unrestricted free agent, Two-year contract (through 2017)

3/11
Chris Hogan (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1891917/chris-hogan)
WR
signed/offer sheet from Bills, Three-year contract (through 2018)

</tbody>

and Now Chris Long.
Seriously?

They sent their 3rd best player for a pick when they draft poorly and for a G when they could have easily signed one
They have a hole at DE and traded for a TE they didn't need
They signed a DE who hasn't done much in his time in the league
They signed a RB who again hasn't done much
They vastly overpaid for Hogan
Who is Ebner?

Nothing here impresses me and if anything they watered down their overall talent by losing Jones. I'd be impressed with Bennett if they actually needed him or will use him as much as they should for what he is.

This team is an enigma. By all rights they should be worse than the Browns. It's a true statement to how good Marcia and Belichump actually are... which I of course hate.

YardRat
03-18-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking Bennett has a career year. Lol.

X-Era
03-18-2016, 04:02 PM
I'm thinking Bennett has a career year. Lol.I hope so for their sake. If not it was another stupid Pats move

Night Train
03-18-2016, 04:04 PM

You ended Chandlers career. :up:

YardRat
03-18-2016, 04:06 PM
You ended Chandlers career. :up:

He had the audacity to sign with the Patriots...I couldn't let that go without consequences.

Mace
03-18-2016, 04:07 PM

I'm honestly thinking Hogan does too. Cooper, the guard, went downhill after breaking his leg. He could still be viable young inexpensive talent. The Pats get the most out of people, hate them or not, plus Belichick got another pick in a draft deep with line talent. I doubt they are finished.

sdbillsfan2
03-18-2016, 06:56 PM
I haven't seen or heard of anything the Bills have done or plan to do that will close the gap vs the Pats. Year after year its the same crap.
Like it or not this year will be no different. They pLug and play guys and rarely lose.
Just my opinion but I don't see a plan here and have very little faith in OBD .

BillsOwnAll
03-18-2016, 07:16 PM
What is great about any of these moves....?

swiper
03-19-2016, 03:03 AM
Course, not coarse. Geez that's painful to have to read.

These moves are all garbage by NE.

Novacane
03-19-2016, 05:08 AM
Paid $4M/year for our #3 or 4 WR... Of coarse Brady will make him into another Welker.

That's what people are afraid of. I'm not. They said the same thing about Amendola.

justasportsfan
03-19-2016, 05:26 AM
Intrresting. If what they did is garbage then the bills moves of getting rid of Mckelvin, Marrio, etc. and not replacing them is poop. They got better. Whose going to cover Gronk and Bennet? I forgot, IK ,Dareus and Hughes should be fine right? We can't get to the qb under Rexy so dropping our rushers should do fine. Are we forgetting that they torched us for a franchise record ***** slapping pass yards with out Bennett ?

X-Era
03-19-2016, 07:12 AM
Intrresting. If what they did is garbage then the bills moves of getting rid of Mckelvin, Marrio, etc. and not replacing them is poop. They got better. Whose going to cover Gronk and Bennet? I forgot, IK ,Dareus and Hughes should be fine right? We can't get to the qb under Rexy so dropping our rushers should do fine. Are we forgetting that they torched us for a franchise record ***** slapping pass yards with out Bennett ?I'm not sure whether this is a criticism of us or about them.

These moves are not impressive.

Their free agency and draft moves are usually mediocre to bad. But because they have Brady and Belicheck they keep winnng anyways.

The post was about their off-season moves so far. And looking at just their overall talent and what they've done they are the same or worse IMO.

Will it matter when they play us? Probably not. They have Brady and Belicheck and will be dominant until one or both are gone. But can we claim all their moves are good simply because they win? No, I don't think so. I think they win despite their questionable moves in free agency and the draft... For them they can get away with it and it doesn't matter. But let's not claim they are great at free agency or the draft. They landed a hall of famer in the 6th round. Totally anomaly and it's probably the greatest steal in draft history. But, that doesn't negate all the questionable or bad picks after that. And free agency for them is usually signing has been's or never will be's. And if they do make a decent signing they frequently lose or get rid of one of their own that's better.

The Beef
03-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Their defense is worse without Jones, that's a fact.

Hogan is a nice fit, Bennett can be dangerous.

Basically Whaley's plan? Well the entire core of the offense is coming back minus Hogan. They're betting on health and continuity. You would hope after 1 year in Roman's offense and a full offseason that TT, Shady, Sammy and Clay take the next step. We need depth at WR and a vet on the right side of the oline would help.

This draft is going to be crazy on defensive players that are Rex guys. I'm guessing a rushbacker, a couple of linebackers, possibly a NT and a 5Tech DE. As well as a CB. On offense the only thing I see happening is a flyer on a QB in the 3rd or 4th and if there is a WR that they love in round 2 or 3.

They're going to try and get as many Rex fits as possible, for better or worse.

sudzy
03-19-2016, 02:54 PM
I hope so for their sake. If not it was another stupid Pats move

Man, I wish the Bills were as STUPID as the Patriots.

X-Era
03-21-2016, 03:53 AM
Man, I wish the Bills were as STUPID as the Patriots.Give us a HOF QB and HOF HC and we would destroy them every year. The Bills do a much better job in the draft and better overall in FA.

Goobylal
03-21-2016, 06:00 AM
Give us a HOF QB and HOF HC and we would destroy them every year. The Bills do a much better job in the draft and better overall in FA.
And loads of cheating.

YardRat
03-21-2016, 02:21 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25525764/nfl-draft-reset-patriots-inflate-roster-circumvent-penalty

Patriots inflate roster, circumvent penalty
Will commissioner Roger Goodell now punish the New England Patriots for making a mockery of his Deflategate punishment -- forfeiture of their first round pick in the 2016 draft, formerly known as No. 29 overall?

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, whose staff maintains the best pulse on personnel in the league, went out and collected four first-round picks and one second rounder.
OK, they are from former drafts, and acquired by free agency and trade, but, well -- take that, commish!

And, this just in, the Patriots are reportedly interviewing yet another former first rounder, defensive tackle Nick Fairley. The former star on Auburn's 2010 BCS championship team was the No. 13 overall player in the 2011 draft, selected by Detroit, then played with the team formerly known as the St Louis Rams until last season.

Goobylal
03-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Too bad they all suck.

Mace
03-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Too bad they all suck.

I'll bet you they suck so bad the Pats will do better than we do again this year ?

Goobylal
03-21-2016, 08:07 PM
I'll bet you they suck so bad the Pats will do better than we do again this year ?

They will do better because they have the better QB who has been in the same system for 15 years now and Belichick is a defensive genius. However their window is closing fast.

Oh and I made a mistake. Bennett doesn't suck. But he's under contract for a year and is 29 and will want his stats to get his last big deal from someone. And he's a known cancer in the locker room. With Gronk and Edelman getting the majority of catches, that situation will be fun to watch.

DynaPaul
03-21-2016, 08:21 PM
Yawn.

GreedoII
03-22-2016, 10:05 AM
they have a QB so it doesn't matter what they do or give up. As long as he's there it will work just fine. Don't overrate any moves they make since Brady is under center. They had crap last year and they won 12 and were 1 play away form the super bowl again...BRADY....

justasportsfan
03-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Give us a HOF QB and HOF HC and we would destroy them every year. The Bills do a much better job in the draft and better overall in FA.

and that's my point. Are they weaker OFFENSIVELY? It seems that no matter how bad or good their D is, their offense is the one that made them go to the superbowls. They just added another TE who is PROVEN . He is not a questionable draft pick.

and while the bills do better drafting players and FA, they do a horrible job at picking coaches which make the talent useless.

X-Era
03-22-2016, 03:24 PM
and that's my point. Are they weaker OFFENSIVELY? It seems that no matter how bad or good their D is, their offense is the one that made them go to the superbowls. They just added another TE who is PROVEN . He is not a questionable draft pick.

and while the bills do better drafting players and FA, they do a horrible job at picking coaches which make the talent useless.My point on Bennett is that he will be under-utilized on the Brady led offense. And that means it was a useless signing. They don't need Bennett.

If you simply grade the moves they made in the OP I would give it a D. Got rid of one of their own best players added a solid player at a position they didn't need and overpaid for Hogan.

justasportsfan
03-22-2016, 03:50 PM
My point on Bennett is that he will be under-utilized on the Brady led offense. And that means it was a useless signing. They don't need Bennett.

If you simply grade the moves they made in the OP I would give it a D. Got rid of one of their own best players added a solid player at a position they didn't need and overpaid for Hogan.

Do you remember how their O was when they had Henandez and Gronk? They had the no.1 O, Do you remember whose D they were *****slapping then?Rexys.

X-Era
03-23-2016, 04:04 AM
Do you remember how their O was when they had Henandez and Gronk? They had the no.1 O, Do you remember whose D they were *****slapping then?Rexys.They're 6th in total offense now.

DesertFox24
03-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Bennett is not anywhere close to the athlete Hernadez is. Bennett is believe it not very close to Scott Chandler with just a little more speed and acceleration out of cuts. In other words he is better than Chandler but he will not do what Aaron did for that team. Their offense will be similar to last years. The big loss for them was Chandler, Cooper is whatever, the pats are hoping to get a pass rusher in the second round or move up in the second to get one. All in all these moves help them slightly but it is not anywhere close to those teams who also had Randy. Also keep in mind Brady started to show signs of age the last 6 games of the year and the playoffs I think we will get one more Bradesq year and then the 2017 season he will really start to come down to earth. He has a hard time throwing deep outside the numbers and if you watch their whole offense is predicated on short timing throws and in between the hash marks.

Ingtar33
03-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Traded away their best pass rusher got a bust at OG in return.

yeah, I don't get that one. the cards fans seem ecstatic about the trade, as they need a pass rusher, and cooper has been both a disappointment and unable to stay on the field due to injury his whole career.

Kenny
03-24-2016, 05:31 AM
Do you remember how their O was when they had Henandez and Gronk? They had the no.1 O, Do you remember whose D they were *****slapping then?Rexys.

To be fair, that really wasnt as much due to Hernandez than it was for a future HOF WR... so unless Chris Hogan brings out his inner Randy Moss, I dont really see them replicating those results.

justasportsfan
03-24-2016, 08:52 AM
They're 6th in total offense now.

Bennett is not anywhere close to the athlete Hernadez is. Bennett is believe it not very close to Scott Chandler with just a little more speed and acceleration out of cuts. In other words he is better than Chandler but he will not do what Aaron did for that team. Their offense will be similar to last years. The big loss for them was Chandler, Cooper is whatever, the pats are hoping to get a pass rusher in the second round or move up in the second to get one. All in all these moves help them slightly but it is not anywhere close to those teams who also had Randy. Also keep in mind Brady started to show signs of age the last 6 games of the year and the playoffs I think we will get one more Bradesq year and then the 2017 season he will really start to come down to earth. He has a hard time throwing deep outside the numbers and if you watch their whole offense is predicated on short timing throws and in between the hash marks.

2012 New York Giants 16 16 55 626 11.4 33 5 7 0 35
2013 Chicago Bears 16 15 65 759 11.7 43 5 11 1 40
2014 Chicago Bears 16 15 90 916 10.2 37 6 11 0 43
2015 Chicago Bears 11 11 53 439 8.3 24 3 5 0 24

His nos. the last few years. Whether he's not as athletic as Hernandez, he still had comparable nos. without having Brady or a Gronk opposite him .

I am in no way stating he will replace Gronk but he surely is an upgrade over Chandler and an added weapon for Brady. In the meantime, we got worse defensively up to this point. Rexy may have to pick his poison.

justasportsfan
03-24-2016, 08:54 AM
To be fair, that really wasnt as much due to Hernandez than it was for a future HOF WR... so unless Chris Hogan brings out his inner Randy Moss, I dont really see them replicating those results.

It's Bennett I am more worried about. Not Hogan. While it's not always a sure thing, Pats' offensive brains have been better than what Hogan has been exposed to.

DesertFox24
03-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Pats have Lafell, Edelman, and Amendola higher on depth before Hogan. Hogan will see more balls than he has with us due to the volume of 4 wide sets and number of attempts Brady throws. Bennett is an upgrade but if he was so good others would have made this trade. It helps them for short term as no TE available with their first pick will help them. I am assuming top 2 and maybe top 3 gone by their first pick.

DesertFox24
03-24-2016, 09:20 AM
All that said if Tyrod can make throws in middle of field and another WR steps up we will be ok. I am confident our defense will be better next year. Also first time in 5 years same def as year before, I will concede we need 2 starters from draft on def.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Pats have Lafell, Edelman, and Amendola higher on depth before Hogan. Hogan will see more balls than he has with us due to the volume of 4 wide sets and number of attempts Brady throws. Bennett is an upgrade but if he was so good others would have made this trade. It helps them for short term as no TE available with their first pick will help them. I am assuming top 2 and maybe top 3 gone by their first pick.

Lafell is gone and they already picked up a new TE in Bennett.

The Jokeman
03-28-2016, 03:48 PM
My point on Bennett is that he will be under-utilized on the Brady led offense. And that means it was a useless signing. They don't need Bennett.

Remember when Gronk and Hernandez terrorized D's? Or when Daniel Graham and Ben Watson paired up? Brady loves the TE and he has the quick release to make Bennett dangerous. Yet Hogan is likely going to be a STer/depth player now that they signed Nate Washington.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Lafell is gone and they already picked up a new TE in Bennett.

<--Derp.

YardRat
03-31-2016, 04:48 PM
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/football/2016/03/31/defensive-lineman-terrance-knighton-picks-patriots/CwLqcsCieQApX9q7D5o2rK/story.html

Defensive lineman Terrance Knighton picks Patriots

Mace
03-31-2016, 05:03 PM
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/football/2016/03/31/defensive-lineman-terrance-knighton-picks-patriots/CwLqcsCieQApX9q7D5o2rK/story.html

Defensive lineman Terrance Knighton picks Patriots

Pot Roast Knighton was someone I was hoping we'd have in for a look. Silly me.