There were rumors of Kelly wanted Mariota badly last year. This bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

There were rumors of Kelly wanted Mariota badly last year. This bad?

We'll see what kind of career Mariota has. But if I were the Titans, I'd made that deal in a minute. Look at it this way - #2 pick this year; after I take the top of cream off the Eagles, they probably would be finished with 2-14 and I get the top 2 pick again next year.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: There were rumors of Kelly wanted Mariota badly last year. This bad?

If Mariota becomes a franchise QB that price would have been cheap.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
      I think Mariota is overrated personally, and 2 firsts, a second, Bradford as a holdover and Fletcher Cox would have been a massive haul.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

That's why I said if.

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Oof.

Mariota may have done well in Philly, but Tennessee would have reaped a bounty for it. Then again the Titans are flailing around and no telling if they could have used those picks well. I still think they should have taken the deal. Not sure Whisenhunt could have done much better anyway, but I'm not sure Mariota could have saved Chip Kelly the GM either.

Comment

• mdcas22
            the mouth of the south
            • Aug 2015

looks like the Titian's made a mistake by not taking that trade, if true look what they would have gained and had a Bradford plus a extra 1st this this year which could have produced 1 of the top 3 QB's coming out. Something tells me that that trade offer is bogus.

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

You guys are talking like Bradford is good.

Comment

• Mace
                • Mar 2013

You guys are talking like Bradford is good.
                Not even that, but he'd be a placeholder until they found a better one. Past face value, what was offered can also be seen as trade ammo.

Comment

• Kenny
                  • Aug 2004

100% agree. Im not too sure about him myself, but if you're in charge the org, have done your homework, and think hes your guy then no way is that deal worth not getting your franchise QB for the next decade.

Comment

• Frenchman
                    June and Summertime!
                    • Apr 2012

Well he is with the Titans so what if indeed?
                    ​Ready for Summertime Fun!

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                      Pinkerton's son
                      • Feb 2006

cheap? Very few teams in the NFL would become a better team when trading away this much for 1 player, even if that player became a "franchise QB". This would have crippled the Eagles for years, unless he turned out to be a legendary player a la Manning, Brady, etc

Comment

• Kenny
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Pinkerton Security View Post
                        cheap? Very few teams in the NFL would become a better team when trading away this much for 1 player, even if that player became a "franchise QB". This would have crippled the Eagles for years, unless he turned out to be a legendary player a la Manning, Brady, etc
                        I disagree. So you give up an extra first, a second, and a player on your defense? If this was us last year, then they’ll probably take Mario or Dareus. Are you telling me you wouldn’t give up a 1st, a second, and Mario or Dareus for a young QB you think could develop into a Rodgers, Luck, Russell Wilson, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Rivers, Cam Newton, etc…

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                          I disagree. So you give up an extra first, a second, and a player on your defense? If this was us last year, then they’ll probably take Mario or Dareus. Are you telling me you wouldn’t give up a 1st, a second, and Mario or Dareus for a young QB you think could develop into a Rodgers, Luck, Russell Wilson, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Rivers, Cam Newton, etc…
                          I don't honestly know, its a tough call - lets just say its not "cheap" to give up a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and and your best defensive player plus more...they stated there could be more than one defensive player thrown in, so lets say they wanted another young DB, Gilmore or Darby.

1st rounder, 2nd rounder, Marcel Dareus plus one of those CB's for Mariota? No way would I do that, but maybe its bc I see Mariota as a less-than-elite QB in the future. His ceiling to me is around a Philip Rivers.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                            Making Spirits Bright
                            • Mar 2006

I would have taken 2 firsts, a second, Bradford, and Cox for the 1st overall pick last year and I think the Titans would have also. I don't believe this rumor.

Comment

• Mace
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                              I wouldn't. The key word is "could" in "could develop". Andrew Luck was about as certain a "franchise" QB as they come, and he's still about .500 outside his feeble division. "could" is not "will" and that's way too rare to mortgage so much on, imho.

Comment

Working...
                              X