PDA

View Full Version : There were rumors of Kelly wanted Mariota badly last year. This bad?

ghz in pittsburgh
03-18-2016, 07:20 PM
http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/chip-kellys-reported-trade-offer-marcus-mariota-utterly-insane?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

We'll see what kind of career Mariota has. But if I were the Titans, I'd made that deal in a minute. Look at it this way - #2 pick this year; after I take the top of cream off the Eagles, they probably would be finished with 2-14 and I get the top 2 pick again next year.

Novacane
03-19-2016, 05:20 AM
If Mariota becomes a franchise QB that price would have been cheap.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-19-2016, 07:51 AM

I think Mariota is overrated personally, and 2 firsts, a second, Bradford as a holdover and Fletcher Cox would have been a massive haul.

Novacane
03-19-2016, 10:35 AM
That's why I said if.

Mace
03-19-2016, 04:56 PM
Oof.

Mariota may have done well in Philly, but Tennessee would have reaped a bounty for it. Then again the Titans are flailing around and no telling if they could have used those picks well. I still think they should have taken the deal. Not sure Whisenhunt could have done much better anyway, but I'm not sure Mariota could have saved Chip Kelly the GM either.

mdcas22
03-20-2016, 10:33 AM
looks like the Titian's made a mistake by not taking that trade, if true look what they would have gained and had a Bradford plus a extra 1st this this year which could have produced 1 of the top 3 QB's coming out. Something tells me that that trade offer is bogus.

Novacane
03-20-2016, 01:03 PM
You guys are talking like Bradford is good.

Mace
03-20-2016, 03:23 PM
You guys are talking like Bradford is good.

Not even that, but he'd be a placeholder until they found a better one. Past face value, what was offered can also be seen as trade ammo.

Kenny
03-20-2016, 07:16 PM

100% agree. Im not too sure about him myself, but if you're in charge the org, have done your homework, and think hes your guy then no way is that deal worth not getting your franchise QB for the next decade.

Frenchman
03-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Well he is with the Titans so what if indeed?

Pinkerton Security
03-21-2016, 07:56 AM

cheap? Very few teams in the NFL would become a better team when trading away this much for 1 player, even if that player became a "franchise QB". This would have crippled the Eagles for years, unless he turned out to be a legendary player a la Manning, Brady, etc

Kenny
03-21-2016, 09:31 AM
cheap? Very few teams in the NFL would become a better team when trading away this much for 1 player, even if that player became a "franchise QB". This would have crippled the Eagles for years, unless he turned out to be a legendary player a la Manning, Brady, etc

I disagree. So you give up an extra first, a second, and a player on your defense? If this was us last year, then they’ll probably take Mario or Dareus. Are you telling me you wouldn’t give up a 1st, a second, and Mario or Dareus for a young QB you think could develop into a Rodgers, Luck, Russell Wilson, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Rivers, Cam Newton, etc…

Pinkerton Security
03-21-2016, 09:41 AM
I disagree. So you give up an extra first, a second, and a player on your defense? If this was us last year, then they’ll probably take Mario or Dareus. Are you telling me you wouldn’t give up a 1st, a second, and Mario or Dareus for a young QB you think could develop into a Rodgers, Luck, Russell Wilson, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Rivers, Cam Newton, etc…

I don't honestly know, its a tough call - lets just say its not "cheap" to give up a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and and your best defensive player plus more...they stated there could be more than one defensive player thrown in, so lets say they wanted another young DB, Gilmore or Darby.

1st rounder, 2nd rounder, Marcel Dareus plus one of those CB's for Mariota? No way would I do that, but maybe its bc I see Mariota as a less-than-elite QB in the future. His ceiling to me is around a Philip Rivers.

Joe Fo Sho
03-21-2016, 10:45 AM
I would have taken 2 firsts, a second, Bradford, and Cox for the 1st overall pick last year and I think the Titans would have also. I don't believe this rumor.

Mace
03-21-2016, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't. The key word is "could" in "could develop". Andrew Luck was about as certain a "franchise" QB as they come, and he's still about .500 outside his feeble division. "could" is not "will" and that's way too rare to mortgage so much on, imho.

Mace
03-21-2016, 06:12 PM
I would have taken 2 firsts, a second, Bradford, and Cox for the 1st overall pick last year and I think the Titans would have also. I don't believe this rumor.

Hard to say, they chose Mularkey as their coach without really looking, they're pretty much struggling with organization.

Joe Fo Sho
03-22-2016, 06:45 AM
Hard to say, they chose Mularkey as their coach without really looking, they're pretty much struggling with organization.

Yeah, they may have just wanted a QB that early in the draft to increase sales. It's a lot sexier than Bradford, Cox, and lineman. I just think that trade would have been great for a team that was just 2-14 and starting Zach Mettenberger.