PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about this upcomimg draft..

k-oneputt
03-30-2016, 08:16 AM
You think the Bills may be looking at !st rd. Ragland, 2nd rd. Cravens ?
Both would fill needs. Rex doesn't seem to be a big fan of Brown. And that lb position is important in Rex's defense.
Cravens would be a guy who could match up with NewEng's tight ends.
Of course it is possible that neither will be available in those rounds at the Bills picks. {19 and 49}

Night Train
03-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Those aren't bad ideas at all. I believe the biggest needs are D Front 7 and OT. A QB or 2 will be selected somewhere, maybe a WR but I'm starting to doubt it.

What's encouraging is that D Front 7 and OT is very deep. Very open on suggestions because there is so many viable options.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-30-2016, 09:03 AM
I admit I haven't been following the draft that much, what is the deal with Ragland? I've read he's a 2 down run stopper only, which doesn't make sense as a first round pick to me.

DraftBoy
03-30-2016, 09:52 AM
I admit I haven't been following the draft that much, what is the deal with Ragland? I've read he's a 2 down run stopper only, which doesn't make sense as a first round pick to me.

Athleticism v. Instincts

Turn on his tape and you see him jump off the field with his ability, but his measurements and athleticism have many wondering about his ability to play all three downs in the NFL. I think this is probably a situation where we are looking too much at measurements and not enough at on the field production.

Dr. Who
03-30-2016, 11:03 AM
I watched the Alabama pro day on the SEC Network. Granted, the talking heads are probably going to err on the side of bombastic praise, but they certainly seemed sincere in their view that Ragland is a special player and more than a two-down thumper.

YardRat
03-30-2016, 02:56 PM
I like them both, would rather have Ragland in the first than Cravens in the second, though. I want a thumper in the middle, even if it is only for 2 downs, and Su'a is a little light in the ass.

Mace
03-30-2016, 04:19 PM
I'd be pleased with Ragland and Cravens.

Can Ragland play 3 downs ? I think so. As Draftboy said, he's more than his measurements. Two 3 down true linebackers are all that Ryan means to use in his flavor of defense, so if he's perceived to be 2 down only he won't be here.

Cravens is not an OLB though he's listed so. He's a safety hybrid. You get him to move around, he'll do a little bit of everything, roles not position. He's not Bryan Scott trying to do it in a Tampa-2. He's a better more flexible piece for a Ryan defense, but don't think he'd be replacing Bradham. If they do take him, figure they just took a strong safety.

I think they'd be wiser to take an impact lineman at 19 (either one of the top 4 ot's - unlikely if they really believe in Henderson, I think they do, or a defensive stud). For Ryan defense purposes, there are a bunch of other linebackers that will still be around in the middle rounds.

But I'd be very pleased with Ragland and Cravens 1 & 2.

k-oneputt
03-30-2016, 04:46 PM
It looks like Clay Harbor is now signing with New Eng. That's three tight-ends and BIG targets for Brady, and he likes throwing to his te's.. The Bills need a few guys to match up in this draft.

Scumbag College
03-30-2016, 06:53 PM
My first thought is that I hope that Goff or Paxton Lynch falls to us at 19. With the Jets picking right after the Bills and their QB situation being a potential Geno Smith vs. whomever else they have as the battle for a starter, I would think that a team like the Broncos might want to move ahead of the NYJ to pick a QB there.

I want the Bills to move down if at all possible. As of right now, I think the Bills need a NT, DE, ILB, OLB, possible S depending on A. Williams' health, CB, OT depending on Henderson's health, OL depth, WR, backup QB, Kicker. I think that we all say this every year, but I see a bunch of really good players projected to go Rounds 2-5 and the more picks in those mid rounds the better.

stuckincincy
03-30-2016, 07:25 PM
My first thought is that I hope that Goff or Paxton Lynch falls to us at 19. With the Jets picking right after the Bills and their QB situation being a potential Geno Smith vs. whomever else they have as the battle for a starter, I would think that a team like the Broncos might want to move ahead of the NYJ to pick a QB there.

I want the Bills to move down if at all possible. As of right now, I think the Bills need a NT, DE, ILB, OLB, possible S depending on A. Williams' health, CB, OT depending on Henderson's health, OL depth, WR, backup QB, Kicker. I think that we all say this every year, but I see a bunch of really good players projected to go Rounds 2-5 and the more picks in those mid rounds the better.

If they plan to play mostly 3 -4 defensive sets, they should be in the market for a big DE, and LBs.

Mace
03-30-2016, 08:17 PM
If they plan to play mostly 3 -4 defensive sets, they should be in the market for a big DE, and LBs.

Jarran Reed, NT/DT and DE, end of running games. Collect another guy to rotate later.

Scumbag College
03-30-2016, 08:25 PM
I'm a big fan of taking Billings out of Baylor if he is available at #19 and they don't move out of the position. Space eater and play maker all in one.

Dr. Who
03-31-2016, 08:24 AM
I'd be pleased with Ragland and Cravens.

Can Ragland play 3 downs ? I think so. As Draftboy said, he's more than his measurements. Two 3 down true linebackers are all that Ryan means to use in his flavor of defense, so if he's perceived to be 2 down only he won't be here.

Cravens is not an OLB though he's listed so. He's a safety hybrid. You get him to move around, he'll do a little bit of everything, roles not position. He's not Bryan Scott trying to do it in a Tampa-2. He's a better more flexible piece for a Ryan defense, but don't think he'd be replacing Bradham. If they do take him, figure they just took a strong safety.

I think they'd be wiser to take an impact lineman at 19 (either one of the top 4 ot's - unlikely if they really believe in Henderson, I think they do, or a defensive stud). For Ryan defense purposes, there are a bunch of other linebackers that will still be around in the middle rounds.

But I'd be very pleased with Ragland and Cravens 1 & 2.

I'd like Ragland and then ridiculously hope that somehow Vernon Butler falls into the second. I'd even trade up a bit to get him.

Ed
03-31-2016, 08:48 AM

This is my thinking also. Some of the potential prospects we're talking about at 19 are still going to be there at the end of round 1. There are going to be a lot of good players available in rounds 2 and 3 so I'd rather see the Bills move down and get extra picks. And my first thought was the Broncos trading up for Lynch. Maybe we could get their 2nd and 3rd.

swiper
03-31-2016, 10:18 AM
Goff And Wentz will be gone. Lynch will be there. Even though I mocked him in one of those simulators to the Bills at #19, I am not sure that is the correct move. Important to fill holes. Will Lynch be there in the 2nd?

Dr. Who
03-31-2016, 11:47 AM
I have a feeling Billsnation would go apefeces if Lynch was drafted at #19. I don't think that is the optimal way to go, but I would be okay with it if that's the way it plays out. I am not sold on TT, but he may become what everyone hopes. I'd just like some leverage and a better backup plan. If Wentz goes to Cleveland and Goff to the 49ers, I can actually see the Rams taking Lynch in the first. If he falls late first, I can see some team trading up to draft him so they have him on a rookie contract with the extra year.

cookie G
03-31-2016, 05:02 PM
If a guy like Conklin falls, take him and work toward finally finishing the job on the OL.

You can work towards the 853rd senseless rebuild of the defense after that.

Mace
03-31-2016, 05:14 PM
If a guy like Conklin falls, take him and work toward finally finishing the job on the OL.

You can work towards the 853rd senseless rebuild of the defense after that.

Brutal road graders like OT Conklin and G Landon Turner (3rd maybe) would make me happy, so I'm entirely sure it won't happen.

YardRat
03-31-2016, 05:18 PM
I'm OK with an OT in the first, and G/C later, but I'm not too confident that's going to happen.

swiper
03-31-2016, 05:20 PM
2016 NFL mock draft: Jack Conklin off the board to the Oakland Raiders (http://2016 NFL mock draft: Jack Conklin off the board to the Oakland Raiders)

cookie G
04-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Brutal road graders like OT Conklin and G Landon Turner (3rd maybe) would make me happy, so I'm entirely sure it won't happen.

I like road graders and am a big proponent of the Russ Grimm quote "there's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B against his will".

I think we definitely have some road graders on this team. I think Henderson can move people, Miller can and Kujo most definitely can.

But I don't see that as a problem..it is pass blocking.

Besides subpar QB play...one constant in this long, long, way too long playoff drought has been poor pass protection.

Outside of the Fitz years, when he was chucking the ball in .05 seconds, the Bills haven't finished higher than 20th in sacks allowed/per attempt more than once (2007).

Usually..they are towards the bottom of the league, like they were this year, finishing 27th.

We've had numerous PB quality running backs.
We've used high draft choices on WR's
We've changed the defensive countless times.

Solidify the entire O line for a change, not just half of it. If nothing else, just to try something new and get out of this cycle of misery we've been fed.

The line isn't THAT far off, a quality RT can go a long way to finally fixing things. But the RT HAS to be able to pass block as well as be a road grader.

As far as picking one in later rounds, we've found 1 below round 2 in the past 12 years, Jason Peters (1/2 credit to Brad Butler).

So to those who say, "You can always find one in later rounds"

We haven't;
We don't;
We won't.

As far as Whaley goes...idk...he seems to understand the position a little more than previous regimes. Buddy would never have franchised Glenn, Jauron/Levy would have tried to trade him for a CB or safety.

He might just do it to spite Rex.

I would.

Mace
04-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I like road graders and am a big proponent of the Russ Grimm quote "there's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B against his will".

I think we definitely have some road graders on this team. I think Henderson can move people, Miller can and Kujo most definitely can.

But I don't see that as a problem..it is pass blocking.

Oh, I agree, but at this point they're a run focused team. Young OL are traditionally easier to use from the start in run oriented offense, which buys time to sharpen pass blocking skills.

Conklin is fine at pass blocking, technically sound, but the notable trait is that he has a mean streak (not an out of control one). Turner is just a beast. Maybe it's me and my perception is off, but I don't see Kujo, Henderson, and Miller as road graders. Miller gets a pass for rookie and injuries, but I'm not certain there's a starter among the 3 of them (my opinion). I see a line of Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Turner and Conklin as being far better than what we have.

Would I take Cody Whitehair or Vadal Alexander instead if they were there in the second ? Absolutely, but I think that means we lose a defensive stud we might need more.

I understand what you're saying and agree with the principle, but we're not going to be a passing oriented team again this year. Taylor is just not a pocket gunslinger who needs Orton level pocket time. It doesn't look to me like it's going to happen in the next few years.

cookie G
04-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Oh, I agree, but at this point they're a run focused team. Young OL are traditionally easier to use from the start in run oriented offense, which buys time to sharpen pass blocking skills.

Conklin is fine at pass blocking, technically sound, but the notable trait is that he has a mean streak (not an out of control one). Turner is just a beast. Maybe it's me and my perception is off, but I don't see Kujo, Henderson, and Miller as road graders. Miller gets a pass for rookie and injuries, but I'm not certain there's a starter among the 3 of them (my opinion). I see a line of Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Turner and Conklin as being far better than what we have.

Would I take Cody Whitehair or Vadal Alexander instead if they were there in the second ? Absolutely, but I think that means we lose a defensive stud we might need more.

I understand what you're saying and agree with the principle, but we're not going to be a passing oriented team again this year. Taylor is just not a pocket gunslinger who needs Orton level pocket time. It doesn't look to me like it's going to happen in the next few years.

I see it this way...if you're a run oriented team, you're still going to be throwing the ball as much as you'll be running. That's just the nature of the NFL now.

And, if you're a ground oriented team, giving up a sack is usually worse than for a pass oriented team. That's because in a ground and pound, loss of yardage plays, whether through penalty or a sack, are devastating to a drive. Its tough to make up 10 yards when you're averaging 4.5 yards on the ground.

Anyway.. I look at this as a great opportunity to finish the job on the Oline for once.

I'm one who believes the talent level of the team doesn't justify a rebuilding. They don't have nearly the holes they've had in past years;

Picking at 19 takes away the argument of "OMG, you don't take a tackle in the top 10!" (a silly, discredited argument to begin with)

Rex can get his plug in defenders in rounds 2-3.

We'd be doing something different for a change, rather than following the same formula that's failed for 16 years.