PDA

View Full Version : Reports: LeSean McCoy will not be charged for bar fight

zone
04-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Looks like he will not be charged.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/04/reports-lesean-mccoy-will-not-be-charged-for-bar-fight/

OpIv37
04-04-2016, 08:40 AM
Goodell will still make him sit for the opener.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Goodell will still make him sit for the opener.

yea. probably monday night at new england is my best guess

Victor7
04-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Still need to see if Roger suspends him or not.

Hopefully this helps Shady's case.

Ed
04-04-2016, 08:58 AM
A violent altercation occurred and McCoy was present. Even if McCoy didn't do anything wrong it still brought negative attention to the league so Goodell is going to make him pay for that.

Pinkerton Security
04-04-2016, 09:16 AM
A violent altercation occurred and McCoy was present. Even if McCoy didn't do anything wrong it still brought negative attention to the league so Goodell is going to make him pay for that.

I have to agree - there is no evidence (as of right now) that McCoy instigated, or was even really involved in, the fight. I have to say im not surprised. Many rumors of the officers being highly intoxicated, a former Eagles player in a bar with them in Philly...I have to say I am not surprised with this outcome.

MikeInRoch
04-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Of COURSE this was announced today. Most of Philadelphia is only thinking about Nova being in the finals tonight...

Joe Fo Sho
04-04-2016, 09:31 AM
Has Goodell ever punished players for crimes when the charges were completely dropped? Not just pleading down to a lesser charge or paying off your accuser, but when the prosecution completely drops the case?

IlluminatusUIUC
04-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Has Goodell ever punished players for crimes when the charges were completely dropped? Not just pleading down to a lesser charge or paying off your accuser, but when the prosecution completely drops the case?

Ben Roethlisberger sat six games over the incident in a Georgia bathroom, but he was never formally charged.

Goobylal
04-04-2016, 11:26 AM
He won't be suspended. Ill bet money on it.

feldspar
04-04-2016, 11:37 AM
He won't be suspended. Ill bet money on it.

If this report is true, he definitely shouldn't be suspended.

http://www.bigtrial.net/2016/02/why-shady-may-walk.html

If that's accurate, he did nothing wrong.

trapezeus
04-04-2016, 11:50 AM
I can see goodell going either way. one, he's gun shy from the brady fight or 2, he wants to assert his authority, especially after he gives the pats their pic back and makes a couple ridiculous player suspension calls.

Joe Fo Sho
04-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Ben Roethlisberger sat six games over the incident in a Georgia bathroom, but he was never formally charged.

Good point, I forgot about that.

Ed
04-04-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that Nigel Bradham's marijuana possession arrest resulted in all charges eventually being dropped, but he still got suspended for a game 14 months after the arrest. I think some other players like Pacman Jones have gotten suspended just based on reputation of being a repeat offender without actually being charged with anything.

The fact that this incident involved violence is bad for McCoy. Goodell took a ton of heat for not being tougher on players committing violent acts, so I think he's more likely to lean towards suspension whether it's fair or not.

Bill Cody
04-04-2016, 12:44 PM
wonder if the cops will be suspended

ghz in pittsburgh
04-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Good point, I forgot about that.

Big Ben's case was very different, even though the outcome is the same (to the involved players). Big Ben paid the then 20-year student, upon which she and her family sent a letter to the DA office to drop the chargers, which means there is really no way for the DA office to succeed in charging Ben. Nevertheless, the DA called a news conference and publicly asked Ben to 'grow up' -- to Ben's credit, he seems doing exactly that since then, like getting married, and never getting into any more trouble.

McCoy's has a very different case and I highly doubt he paid anyone other than his attorney. He did throw a punch, but legally he's allowed to defend his friends. So I don't know what kind of damage he did to the league's image. I think a meeting with Goodell in NYC is all McCoy's going to get.

OpIv37
04-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Generally I don't go for blaming the victim in sexual assault cases, but at some point girls have to take responsibility for ending up alone with him. Everyone knows he gets a little rapey when no one is looking. Hell I'm a dude and I'd still make sure I had an escape plan if he was the only other person in the room.

Goobylal
04-04-2016, 01:24 PM
No suspension will be coming.

Joe Fo Sho
04-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Big Ben's case was very different, even though the outcome is the same (to the involved players). Big Ben paid the then 20-year student, upon which she and her family sent a letter to the DA office to drop the chargers, which means there is really no way for the DA office to succeed in charging Ben. Nevertheless, the DA called a news conference and publicly asked Ben to 'grow up' -- to Ben's credit, he seems doing exactly that since then, like getting married, and never getting into any more trouble.

McCoy's has a very different case and I highly doubt he paid anyone other than his attorney. He did throw a punch, but legally he's allowed to defend his friends. So I don't know what kind of damage he did to the league's image. I think a meeting with Goodell in NYC is all McCoy's going to get.

I didn't realize that Ben paid off his accuser, and I specifically asked for examples where this did not happen! I have no choice but to retract my previous statement.

MikeInRoch
04-04-2016, 01:27 PM
The police don't seem to be too happy about it...

https://twitter.com/gonzoCSN/status/717070858418851841

Joe Fo Sho
04-04-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that Nigel Bradham's marijuana possession arrest resulted in all charges eventually being dropped, but he still got suspended for a game 14 months after the arrest.

How do you get charged for marijuana possession without having marijuana on you, though? Seems like there would have to be at least some merit to that arrest.

I think some other players like Pacman Jones have gotten suspended just based on reputation of being a repeat offender without actually being charged with anything.

I agree. I don't think Shady has any strikes against him though. Maybe this would be strike 1?

The fact that this incident involved violence is bad for McCoy. Goodell took a ton of heat for not being tougher on players committing violent acts, so I think he's more likely to lean towards suspension whether it's fair or not.

Yeah, but being involved in a violent incident can't just be an automatic suspension though. The DA basically just said that LeSean's actions weren't deemed illegal. I don't see how Goodell can justify a punishment in this case. I'm super unbiased, too.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-04-2016, 01:46 PM
I didn't realize that Ben paid off his accuser, and I specifically asked for examples where this did not happen! I have no choice but to retract my previous statement.

Pretty much open knowledge in Pittsburgh even though it is never publicly stated. Read the local paper on that -

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2010/04/13/Grow-up-DA-tells-Roethlisberger-while-announcing-decision-not-to-prosecute-rape-case/stories/201004130163

Notice the paragraph and you may draw an easy conclusion --
Mr. Bright also revealed that the woman -- a student at nearby Georgia College & State University -- her family and her attorney had sent him a letter March 17 saying that they wished to drop the matter because "a criminal trial would be a very intrusive personal experience" and "a public trial would not at all be in her best interest as she goes forward in her life."

Goobylal
04-04-2016, 04:08 PM
There was a prior sexual assault that Big Ben also settled. Which is why he got 6 games.

OpIv37
04-04-2016, 06:40 PM
There was a prior sexual assault that Big Ben also settled. Which is why he got 6 games.

No one is saying Shady's gonna get 6. He'll get 1, small chance he'll get 2.

He shouldn't get any, but Goodell is licking his wounds and has to prove he still has authority, plus they have to placate the public due to the perception that the NFL is weak on violent offenses (even though technically there wasn't an offense here).

McCoy was out late in a club because, well, he's young and that's what young people do. He was a victim of circumstance that night and he'll be a victim of circumstance again when Goodell uses this situation for good publicity.

YardRat
04-04-2016, 07:36 PM
I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of the 'boys will be boys' type arguments, different circumstances (like it or not) require (maybe demand) different actions, or reactions. Everything is not equal, nor should it be necessarily. Shady is a professional football player. That makes him different than most. He's a multi-millionaire. He's a public figure. Different. If you want to enjoy the spoils of being 'different', than you should accept the burdens that come along with it as well. Clubbing is far more likely to get somebody like him in trouble, than it is any of us. So will slutting around (especially, apparently, if your name is 'Kane'). If Shady doesn't want to be different than maybe he should hang up the spikes, get a nine-to-five 40-50 hour/week job so he can do all of the clubbing and slutting around he wants to without fear of repercussions brought on by his status.

OpIv37
04-04-2016, 07:50 PM
I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of the 'boys will be boys' type arguments, different circumstances (like it or not) require (maybe demand) different actions, or reactions. Everything is not equal, nor should it be necessarily. Shady is a professional football player. That makes him different than most. He's a multi-millionaire. He's a public figure. Different. If you want to enjoy the spoils of being 'different', than you should accept the burdens that come along with it as well. Clubbing is far more likely to get somebody like him in trouble, than it is any of us. So will slutting around (especially, apparently, if your name is 'Kane'). If Shady doesn't want to be different than maybe he should hang up the spikes, get a nine-to-five 40-50 hour/week job so he can do all of the clubbing and slutting around he wants to without fear of repercussions brought on by his status.
I couldn't disagree more. We should admire athletes for their superior abilities and- more often than not- die hard work ethic. Anything beyond that is a non-sequitur. Somehow this country got this crazy idea that if someone is good at sports or acting or music, they're also a good human being. It's nonsense. We need to stop treating celebrities as role models unless they embrace the role.

YardRat
04-05-2016, 04:13 AM
I couldn't disagree more. We should admire athletes for their superior abilities and- more often than not- die hard work ethic. Anything beyond that is a non-sequitur. Somehow this country got this crazy idea that if someone is good at sports or acting or music, they're also a good human being. It's nonsense. We need to stop treating celebrities as role models unless they embrace the role.

That's a ompletely different subject.

Goobylal
04-05-2016, 11:12 AM
No one is saying Shady's gonna get 6. He'll get 1, small chance he'll get 2.

He shouldn't get any, but Goodell is licking his wounds and has to prove he still has authority, plus they have to placate the public due to the perception that the NFL is weak on violent offenses (even though technically there wasn't an offense here).

McCoy was out late in a club because, well, he's young and that's what young people do. He was a victim of circumstance that night and he'll be a victim of circumstance again when Goodell uses this situation for good publicity.

He's not getting a single game. He wasn't thrown out of the club, wasn't arrested, and ultimately wasn't charged. He had no injuries to either hand meaning any injuries caused to the cops weren't from him. He said he was defending a friend who was being attacked by the cop. And the DA, who had every incentive to want to bring charges, any charges, made his case for him in the press release when he said people have a right to defend themselves from unlawful force. Rog has no grounds to suspend him and if he's dumb enough to try, he'll get embarrassed yet again.

But if you're still unconvinced, we can bet, say, $100 on it.

OpIv37
04-05-2016, 11:41 AM
He's not getting a single game. He wasn't thrown out of the club, wasn't arrested, and ultimately wasn't charged. He had no injuries to either hand meaning any injuries caused to the cops weren't from him. He said he was defending a friend who was being attacked by the cop. And the DA, who had every incentive to want to bring charges, any charges, made his case for him in the press release when he said people have a right to defend themselves from unlawful force. Rog has no grounds to suspend him and if he's dumb enough to try, he'll get embarrassed yet again.

But if you're still unconvinced, we can bet, say, $100 on it.

See you're talking about facts. I'm talking about PR, which is all that matters to Goodell.

But no, I'm not going to bet real money on it.

Goobylal
04-05-2016, 01:11 PM
See you're talking about facts. I'm talking about PR, which is all that matters to Goodell.

PR? What PR? Who outside of maybe the Philly PD gives a rat's ass about this looking bad for Shady/the NFL? The only reason it made any news was because Shady was there and it involved (off-duty) cops. Now that it's clear that the cops were at fault, Shady has nothing to worry about. He was sticking up for a friend.

But no, I'm not going to bet real money on it.

Smart move.

BertSquirtgum
04-05-2016, 11:10 PM
He's not going to get suspended and even if he does it will be appealed and thrown out.

Goobylal
04-06-2016, 07:45 AM
He's not going to get suspended and even if he does it will be appealed and thrown out.
Yep. The league already coming outand saying Derek Wolfe won't be suspended means Shady's in the clear.

Skooby
04-06-2016, 07:56 AM
So if someone attacks a NFL player and they protect themselves it's their fault and they need to be punished ?? Shady isn't even going to get talked too about it, there's no proof of anything but a mutual misunderstanding.