PDA

View Full Version : Expanded NFL playoffs - "participation trophies" for the chronically downtrodden?

stuckincincy
04-05-2016, 01:25 PM
It had to happen sooner or later - expansion to 14 playoff clubs. Make sense...keep the vicarious thrills coming, gin up the gate and the tv $, perhaps even induce a few city governments to work the crony capitalism angle and the union construction trades' kickback gravy train for their buddies, by inciting their carefully-cultivated crowd of non-taxpaying voters to pull the lever for a new, free stadium for an owner.

You can almost hear the the sound of cash registers drowning out the cries of taxpayers as they sink further into the abyss. :bigwave:

The Word according to Roger:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25542207/roger-goodell-expanded-nfl-playoffs-will-likely-happen

Joe Fo Sho
04-05-2016, 01:36 PM
I hate this.

Mr. Pink
04-05-2016, 01:47 PM
I still dislike that they changed from 3 divisions to 4.

I also dislike expanding the playoffs but everyone had to have seen it coming. More playoffs = More revenue.

At the end of the day, revenue is all the league cares about.

Mace
04-05-2016, 02:09 PM
I hate this.

I hate this more than Fo Sho hates this.

DynaPaul
04-05-2016, 03:02 PM
How about we just get rid of biased officiating and goofy NFL narratives?

YardRat
04-05-2016, 03:46 PM
During a meeting with Jaguars (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/JAC/jacksonville-jaguars) season-ticket holders over the weekend,

Maybe he can meet with Bills' season ticket holders next and propose expanding the playoffs to 32 teams and give us some hope also.

mightysimi
04-05-2016, 04:14 PM
I hate this less than a second place team getting a bye. Congrats!! you were almost first!!

trapezeus
04-06-2016, 06:26 AM
this is the nth time this has come up. in previous versions of adding two more teams, in the last 16 years, the bills still wouldn't have made the playoffs. even with more teams. how irritating is that?

Joe Fo Sho
04-06-2016, 06:36 AM
this is the nth time this has come up. in previous versions of adding two more teams, in the last 16 years, the bills still wouldn't have made the playoffs. even with more teams. how irritating is that?

Eh, no more irritating than our current state...which is still really flippin' irritating.

When you say two more teams, you mean two more total right? Not two more per conference, because we would've made the playoffs last year if two more AFC teams could have made it.

gebobs
04-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Remember back in the '80s when 16 of 21 teams made it in the NHL and the Sabres STILL missed out? Good times.