• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Looks like the Bills will make a QB play early in draft

• 112 retweets87 likes

• Mike Rodak@mikerodak 5h5 hours ago
      Who took QB Paxton Lynch to dinner last night? That would be the Buffalo Bills, ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports. OC Greg Roman in Memphis.

There seems to be a philosophy change in that regard. Just from interviews, I heard Whaley stating drafting QA every year is one way of doing it. Think about, Tyrod is arguably one of the most promising QB the Bills had for years, and the organization is NOT simply hitching its wagon onto him. Instead they have interviewed QB prospects left and right.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Looks like the Bills will make a QB play early in draft

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    • 112 retweets87 likes

Who took QB Paxton Lynch to dinner last night? That would be the Buffalo Bills, ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports. OC Greg Roman in Memphis.

There seems to be a philosophy change in that regard. Just from interviews, I heard Whaley stating drafting QA every year is one way of doing it. Think about, Tyrod is arguably one of the most promising QB the Bills had for years, and the organization is NOT simply hitching its wagon onto him. Instead they have interviewed QB prospects left and right.
    I don't know if I could go so far as to say that this year is different than any other... Sending your OC to watch QB prospects is not atypical in any year whether you need a QB or not. The dinner is likely because they see Lynch as a prospect that could potentially be there at 19 that they may have interest in. I'm not sure that's different than any other player at any other position in play at 19.

I think Lynch is on our radar and I'm pretty sure we will draft a QB at some point. But none of this makes Lynch anything other than a guy in the mix at 19... There are many others at other positions that are more likely.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
      • 112 retweets87 likes

I'm not big on Lynch as a prospect yet most regard him as 3rd best QB prospect in the draft. I have no problem entertaining the idea of drafting him if he's there as I am not sold on Tyrod long term. As had a feeeling we would take a QB in first three rounds yet I'd prefer Conner Cook in Round 2. That said entertaining Lynch might lead team like Denver to trading up and grab him from us.

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
        I'm not big on Lynch as a prospect yet most regard him as 3rd best QB prospect in the draft. I have no problem entertaining the idea of drafting him if he's there as I am not sold on Tyrod long term. As had a feeeling we would take a QB in first three rounds yet I'd prefer Conner Cook in Round 2. That said entertaining Lynch might lead team like Denver to trading up and grab him from us.
        Well the upside is that if I can get him to wear #23 I can re-use some old jerseys.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

taking an Offensive player in round 1 will be a head scratcher. the team's d is weaker than it ended the year. the d needs a lb to qb the defense. we technically have a qb that did well statistically. he has to stay healthy and he has to get better in closer games and reducing 3 and outs. not out of the question.

I just don't see a no brainer qb in this draft. if you don't, then don't take one in round 1. a guy you don't trust starting for your team can be found later.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            taking an Offensive player in round 1 will be a head scratcher. the team's d is weaker than it ended the year. the d needs a lb to qb the defense. we technically have a qb that did well statistically. he has to stay healthy and he has to get better in closer games and reducing 3 and outs. not out of the question.

I just don't see a no brainer qb in this draft. if you don't, then don't take one in round 1. a guy you don't trust starting for your team can be found later.
            Brilliant. We have a pro bowl QB (9th choice but still), so why do we need a QB early ?

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

I just have the feeling that Pegula may have a bigger impact than we know. Unlike all of us fans, they just bought the team so they may not have that urgent feeling of doing all you can to squeeze into playoff. They are not blind; the kind of value added to a franchise with a franchise QB is easy to see.

Having said that, I don't believe they tell Whaley to draft Lynch in particular, but they may have pushed to put "getting that guy at QB" at a much higher priority as the overall franchise direction.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Tyrod deserves competition but I don't see the mid-late first round as the place to get it.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Swiper
                  • Sep 2010

Comment

• Swiper
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                    Brilliant. We have a pro bowl QB (9th choice but still), so why do we need a QB early ?
                    I love fans that post and don't know what they're talking about like you two. No one had a book on Taylor at the beginning of the season. He clearly worsened as the year came along. Now that teams have tape on him, they will shut him down next season. See Colin Kaepernik.

LBers are a dime a dozen. QBs are not.

Comment

• sudzy
                      • Apr 2013

It's been how long since the Bills had a franchise QB? And people are *****ing about drafting one early? I like Taylor, but, if there is a QB there that is a good value, you draft him. It the most important position on the field.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

Note the draft position for Lynch, lets drop back and get a 2nd / 5th(4th if possible).

Comment

• Ed
                          • Sep 2002

If Lynch is so good and a franchise qb, why would he be available at #19? I don't see a team with a huge need at qb like the Rams passing on Lynch if the potential to be legit is there.

Comment

• Swiper
                            • Sep 2010

Who's to say the Jets don't take him in the first?

The good news for the Bills is, they’re picking a spot ahead of their division-rival Jets, who also have some interest in a quarterback for down the road, whether they end up signing Ryan Fitzpatrick or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                            If Lynch is so good and a franchise qb, why would he be available at #19? I don't see a team with a huge need at qb like the Rams passing on Lynch if the potential to be legit is there.
                            Rams will take whichever of Wendt/Goff that is left on the board by the Browns.

Comment

• Ed
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                              Who's to say the Jets don't take him in the first?

- - - Updated - - -

Rams will take whichever of Wendt/Goff that is left on the board by the Browns.
                              So the 9ers don't need a qb anymore? Every mock I've seen has both Wentz and Goff going in the top 10.

Comment

Working...
                              X