PDA

View Full Version : LB AJ Tarpley retires.

Mace
04-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Maybe younger people are smarter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/06/bills-linebacker-a-j-tarpley-announces-retirement-citing-concussions/

YardRat
04-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Best of luck to him.

DesertFox24
04-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Good guy and good football player. He made his decision and I am glad he is at peace with his decision.

Best of luck to him in his future endeavors

swiper
04-07-2016, 03:04 AM
Donte Whitner should follow his lead.

swiper
04-07-2016, 03:13 AM
http://static.lakana.com/media.fox9.com/photo/2016/04/06/aj_1459992930325_1157042_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
The only thing comforting about not knowing this play would be the last of my career, is knowing that I never took a second for granted. After months of introspection, I am retiring from football. I suffered the 3rd and 4th concussions of my career this past season and I am walking away from the game I love to preserve my future health. This decision is the hardest I've made yet but after much research and contemplation I believe it's what is best for me going forward. I'd like to extend my gratitude to everyone that helped me along the way. Thank you to my coaches at Wayzata and Stanford, and to lifelong friends that I was blessed to call teammates. You all molded me into the man I am today. To my family, I'll never be able to repay your unwavering support and love, I just hope that I can continue to show how gracious I am and make you proud. I also want to thank the Buffalo Bills organization, coaches, and teammates for helping me fulfill my lifelong dream in the NFL. Last but not least, I'm proud to be a part of #BillsMafia (https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/BillsMafia/) and playing in front of the best fans in the league is something I won't forget. Thank you God for all that you have blessed me ��. I'm excited for my future.

http://www.wgr550.com/Bills-LB-A-J-Tarpley-Retires/22641971

coastal
04-07-2016, 04:42 AM
Who?

Topas
04-07-2016, 06:07 AM
The int really was his last play? That is awesome.
Good luck to him

DraftBoy
04-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Good for him.

The Jokeman
04-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Odd he waited until the Bills signed another LB before this announcement. I realize he claims it was due to the concussions but maybe more to it then just that.

Pinkerton Security
04-07-2016, 07:25 AM
This makes you wonder - he signed a 3 year, 1.5M dollar deal and made about 450K last year. If you're in his situation, realize you're likely not gonna be an impact player in the NFL so play a year, make your 450K, and retire. I personally would play a few years if I stick around and make that money, but it makes you wonder what his thoughts were coming out of college. Not a terrible idea to make some money and get out early.

Night Train
04-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Got his degree at Stanford, so he'll be working a good job.

All the best for the guy. Respect his decision.

sdbillsfan2
04-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Tough decision..but he is right..why risk more damage.

Joe Fo Sho
04-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Tough decision..but he is right..why risk more damage.

$

IlluminatusUIUC
04-07-2016, 07:48 AM
This makes you wonder - he signed a 3 year, 1.5M dollar deal and made about 450K last year. If you're in his situation, realize you're likely not gonna be an impact player in the NFL so play a year, make your 450K, and retire. I personally would play a few years if I stick around and make that money, but it makes you wonder what his thoughts were coming out of college. Not a terrible idea to make some money and get out early.

If you get college paid for by playing a sport, you're already well out ahead.

Victor7
04-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Awesome that his last play sealed a division win and kept the Jets out of the playoffs.

He's making the right choice IMO. He's not that good of a player so making lots of coin on football was probably not gonna happen for long. This way he's out early (somewhat healthy) and he can try different things. Best of luck to him.

elltrain22
04-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Good luck to him, and God bless him!!

DraftBoy
04-07-2016, 10:41 AM

Guy is potentially a concussion away from some very serious long term brain damage. I'm not sure that is worth the $1.05 million to be a tackling dummy in practice for the next two years.

BertSquirtgum
04-07-2016, 11:04 AM
No loss.

HHURRICANE
04-07-2016, 11:40 AM
He'll make more money in the real world as a Stanford grad than playing football.

These contracts look really big until the taxes, agent fess, juvenile spending leave you with not a whole lot. I make more than most of these players working a real job.

This kid made a good decision.

Saratoga Slim
04-07-2016, 12:30 PM
He'll make more money in the real world as a Stanford grad than playing football.

These contracts look really big until the taxes, agent fess, juvenile spending leave you with not a whole lot. I make more than most of these players working a real job.

This kid made a good decision.

Good decision health-wise, but I don't care where you went to school, you're not getting a non-football starting salary approaching the NFL rookie minimum. Go to Harvard Law and get a job at Skadden Arps as a first year associate, and you'll make about 40% of what an NFL rookie day 3 draft pick makes.

Joe Fo Sho
04-07-2016, 01:34 PM
These contracts look really big until the taxes, agent fess, juvenile spending leave you with not a whole lot.

The only thing unique to a football player in what you just said is that agent fees. A football player pays the same taxes on $1 million as someone who earns $1 million working a 'real' job, and juvenile spending is not unique to the football player profession.

I'm also not sure of any 'real jobs' that have a minimum salary of $435,000 out of college.

swiper
04-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Tarpley retirement trending on Bing.

Mace
04-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Tarpley retirement trending on Bing.

I didn't know anyone actually used Bing.