PDA

View Full Version : Be honest..

JefftheBillsfan
07-25-2003, 07:32 AM
If the Bills had resigned Chidi at the end of the season, would he be penciled in as our starting LE right now? I'm not sure, but he would be in the mix for sure.

TypicalBill
07-25-2003, 07:38 AM
the problem with that is that we have a lot of guys "in the mix" we dont need another one... We might as well give the younger guys Denney and Kelsay a shot than just resigning him for one year..

We need a solid starter... maybe Marcus Jones is the answer, maybe he's not.. maybe one of the younger guys really emerges...

JefftheBillsfan
07-25-2003, 07:41 AM
valid point.

G. Host
07-25-2003, 08:07 AM
Older veterans need less reps to get their timing down which is why during early, straight competition a veteran will look better. Later in the year veterans are not able to recover from injuries as quickly or just wear down quicker.

The issue is that the younger players have a lot of upside and the veterans rarely do. This is the flip side to the one year veteran signing issue - do you sign someone for one year getting the veteran discount or do you get a youngster who could be much, much better with reps.

Assuming the youngsters are signed for multiyear contracts I prefer youngsters to one year rent-a-bodies.

Jan Reimers
07-25-2003, 09:09 AM
Chidi demonstrated last year that he had very little left. The Bills obviously feel more comfortable with the guys we have.

WG
07-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Interesting you brought this up.

It brought up something that I consider to be worthy of note.

TD has cut several "up-and-coming" players for who knows what reasons.

Carpenter who played better than anyone we had last year.
Foreman, not exactly upandcoming, but he had a good year and was young.
Newman this year as he enters his prime and was slammed even though he played OK but was underused.

Meanwhile we sign aging vets.

Adams, Jenkins, Reese, Robinson, Ahanotu, Jones, McKenzie, etc.

Many of them w/ injury histories/issues.

Spikes is obviously an exception. But as I see it, we're already gonna have age issues potentially w/ many of those players as early as next season and likely not much later than that.

I'm not sure what this is worth, but I'd be happier if we were addressing our future needs a little better thru FAcy instead of relyin on 4th - 7th round draft picks.

I supposed I'm mostly concerned about the DL, but having said that, it's been the primary issue for this and last seasons. Adams may not even be here next year, who knows. Jones, the jury is out. McKenzie, same thing. Denney, IMO, won't be here next year either. Kelsay, who knows. PW is getting up there and who knows when he may get hurt or have his play slow down. Schobel as I see it, is the only gimme DL-man that we have heading into the future who can be relied upon as effective.

justasportsfan
07-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Wys, seems to me you don't like TD's moves. What then would you predict the bills record will be this year?

THATHURMANATOR
07-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Chidi didn't show me too much last year. I won't miss him.

BillsNick
07-25-2003, 02:20 PM
Chidi seemed to take some plays off, and he just didn't seem to fit in with the types of players the Bills look for.

The_Philster
07-25-2003, 03:39 PM
He was solid at the beginning of the season but his production seriously tailed off down the stretch. He's a bit up there in years so he should pay more attention to his conditioning.

Tatonka
07-25-2003, 11:31 PM
wys has stated he believes the record will be 12-4.. dispite not liking many of TDs aquisitions and most of TDs draft picks.

eyedog
07-25-2003, 11:49 PM
I like most of TD's moves, except for the WM draft pick. Joseph, Woolfolk, Harris,or Steinbach would have fit better imo.