PDA

View Full Version : 2016 FA signings, credit to Whaley

Mace
04-08-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm no fan of him and harp on him often.

Credit though where it's due. All these signings are vet minimum, so they go on the books for only 680k in cap. I'd call that bang for the buck, and there haven't been any of them that I thought unreasonable. Clever and selective in choosing useful vet bodies.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2016/4/8/11395344/fernando-velasco-contract-details-veteran-minimum-benefit-buffalo-bills

YardRat
04-08-2016, 04:19 PM
"But they were 'ON SALE', AND I had a coupon."

Mace
04-08-2016, 04:31 PM
"But they were 'ON SALE', AND I had a coupon."

You can laugh at that if you want to, but I once noticed a 2 for 1 coupon for cans of beets. So I went out and stole every neighbor's sales flyer I could find in a 3 city block radius, and bought loads and loads of canned beets.

I hate beets, but if I like them someday, oh I'm living in paradise Mister. There's also the off chance someone will come to me desperate for hundreds of cans of beets and I can make a ton of money from them to go buy other 2 for 1's.

swiper
04-08-2016, 04:32 PM
You know Mace, I was thinking the same thing earlier. I am no fan of the GM either, but these are second wave, low key signings. If they work out, then they work out. If they don't, no one will care too much. It should add to the camp competition at a couple of positions. A pretty fair bunch of players signed.

Mace
04-08-2016, 04:37 PM
You know Mace, I was thinking the same thing earlier. I am no fan of the GM either, but these are second wave, low key signings. If they work out, then they work out. If they don't, no one will care too much. It should add to the camp competition at a couple of positions. A pretty fair bunch of players signed.

Yes yes indeedy. I just realized it today looking at them. If any work out great we have plenty of cap next year to keep them, they add depth where needed. Couple of them still have some potential. Some solid work by D-Wha.

YardRat
04-08-2016, 05:12 PM
You can laugh at that if you want to, but I once noticed a 2 for 1 coupon for cans of beets. So I went out and stole every neighbor's sales flyer I could find in a 3 city block radius, and bought loads and loads of canned beets.

I hate beets, but if I like them someday, oh I'm living in paradise Mister. There's also the off chance someone will come to me desperate for hundreds of cans of beets and I can make a ton of money from them to go buy other 2 for 1's.

Bargain shopping always reminds me of my wife's shopping philosophy, and her mantra.

"Jesus, why did you buy so many beets? We don't even eat beets!"
"But Honey...they were ON SALE AND I had a coupon!"

Scumbag College
04-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Other than Velasco, the Blandon, Brown, Moore, and White signings are all bringing in young players. Blandon and Brown I believe had their rookie contracts expire at the end of the year this year.

I'm not expecting any of the signings will set the league on fire in 2016. But Brown might start at ILB and be a factor in nickel/dime packages, Velasco is probably going to back up at least 2 OL positions, Moore and White replaces and are arguably better than for less of a cap hit Brooks and McLovin, and Blandon has to be an upgrade vs. Duke Williams being the #3 safety.

swiper
04-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Bargain shopping always reminds me of my wife's shopping philosophy, and her mantra.

Oh, you're the one who married that one.

Mace
04-08-2016, 05:41 PM

My late mother and late sister were always the same. I remember asking my sister, looking at her cupboard, "do you even eat ricearoni regularly ?" She looks at it a while, "nah.". I shrugged. With my mom it was canned soups. "Hey ma, you never eat canned soups ?" She shrugged, I shrugged, we both laughed, they were on sale. I was always "I eat this in a week, I buy this for a week."

Then they both died after I went broke trying to help them. I'm being entirely honest in saying I kept from starving and survived for 3 years on canned soups and ricearoni, so I guess it worked out.

Maybe the Bills will too.