Cardale and Whaley, sittin' in a tree...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Cardale and Whaley, sittin' in a tree...?

Heh...

Bills are enamored with the boom-or-bust potential of Cardale Jones
    April 8, 2016 3:45 pm ET Jason La Canfora, CBS Sports NFL Insider

"The Buffalo Bills, under general manager Doug Whaley, really can't help themselves. The allure of a boom-or-bust proposition is often too great for them to ignore, and the shiny thing in the corner, catching their eye these days, is a quarterback. Specifically, Ohio State project Cardale Jones.

Yes, even with the residue of the failed experiment to grossly over-draft EJ Manuel still lingering, and with them not too far removed mortgaging a draft to move up a few spots to take Sammie Watkins in a receiver-rich draft, and about a year removed from trading for Shady McCoy -- adding millions to what was already a hefty contract -- it seems unlikely the Bills will go quietly this April.

For as much double-talk as you hear coming from that building about current starter Tyrod Taylor, the reality is, as reported back at the combine, that he was never on their list as part of this year's spending splurge and they want to continue to rent him. They are plenty content to have him come to camp for peanuts, still unsure if he is the guy given his slight frame, the kind of abuse he takes playing the position so athletically. He flashed well and had a winning record for a suspect team a year ago, but they have their reservations."...

The rest of the article:

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • Scumbag College
    • Oct 2002

Re: Cardale and Whaley, sittin' in a tree...?

I'm ok with Cardale in the third. I'm even more ok with Cardale in the fourth.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Scumbag College View Post
      That's sort of where you draft a maybe who will spend a year on the pines in a deep draft instead of reaching for one early like we've done inadequately before, instead of shooting wildly for Gabberts, Lockers, Manziels, Manuels, Weedens, Tannehills, Ponders and Tebows.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Scumbag College View Post
        4th sounds right. Tell that to Douggie.
        Last edited by stuckincincy; 04-08-2016, 09:19 PM.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Not a fan of Jones at all. I hope this is a smokescreen.

Comment

• Scumbag College
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
            That's sort of where you draft a maybe who will spend a year on the pines in a deep draft instead of reaching for one early like we've done inadequately before, instead of shooting wildly for Gabberts, Lockers, Manziels, Manuels, Weedens, Tannehills, Ponders and Tebows.
            Yes all of those QBs that you mentioned were not worthy of a first round pick, but in a QB hungry league with only a few true stars teams are going to do some reaching.

Vote Nader in 2008!

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

This player is terrible.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Really don't want Crapdale Jones

Comment

• gonzo1105
                  • Jul 2002

You know who Cardale Jones reminds me of..........EJ Manuel

Comment

• Scumbag College
                    • Oct 2002

I like Cardale, but rather have the Bills take Dak Prescott if he's there in the third or fourth. Reminds me of a faster David Garrard coming out of college.

Vote Nader in 2008!

Comment

• Ed
                      Dude
                      • Sep 2002

I think Cardale Jones is going to be a Bill and my guess is they'll use the last pick of the 4th round to grab him. Jones needs time to develop as a passer, but I think Roman would love to develop a package of plays for him in short yardage situations. Kind of like they did with EJ, but better. Jones would be a pretty dynamic short yardage guy and it could help keep Tyrod healthier.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I don't think Jones will last until the end of the fourth.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

As someone who watches every Buckeye game, he has a cannon arm and is a rare talent, yet he is as raw as a QB can be. Is built like a DE, throws a great bomb and can get out of tackles to keep plays alive.

He needs a reading defense 101 class in the worst way and would need at least a year of hard coaching to catch up.

Bills have looked hard at several QB's so right now, he's just one of the ones. Others are much further ahead of him right now but his upside may be far superior. Yet, it's still a big if with lots of work to do...
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

A worthwhile read just for what I think was a pretty good summary of Jones after the paragraph below.

While many will point to Cardale Jones being benched as a reason against drafting him, the context is important. Ohio State runs an option offense that J.T. Barrett has the ideal skill set for. Cardale, while possessing good speed and mobility simply isn’t the athlete that Barrett is and the offense calls for.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

To me the article above is a smoke screen, but not in the way you think. If the Bills are enamored with Cradale Jones, which makes a lot of sense, then we have a nearly perfect situation for him. He can come in with no pressure to be a starter and learn from Tyrod Taylor. He's also a fit for the current offensive scheme which limits the decision making responsibility for the QB and wants somebody who can make big plays with his arm and legs.

I don't the Bills taking Jones is an indication of their wavering on Taylor as the future, I think its the Bills actually doing what a good team is supposed to do and making smart decision about high upside prospects. Jones may have the most pure potential of any QB in the draft, but he needs lots of time to be coached up, learn, and become a little more mature.

If you're telling me we're taking Jones in Round 1 or 2, I'm against it, but in Round 3 or 4, I think it's a solid to wise investment.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X