PDA

View Full Version : NFL: McCoy not likely to be facing discipline from the league

ckg927
04-11-2016, 09:46 AM
This is per NFL.com; 7 Eyewitness News(WKBW)just reported this as well.

Well, THAT's a sigh of relief.

Skooby
04-11-2016, 09:52 AM
What would they have said, he gets attacked by rogue cops who are drinking $5,000 in champagne that night ? Honest cops don't buy a $1,250 bottle of booze.

OpIv37
04-11-2016, 09:59 AM
What would they have said, he gets attacked by rogue cops who are drinking $5,000 in champagne that night ? Honest cops don't buy a $1,250 bottle of booze.
The league doesn't care what really happened. They just care that a big name player got negative headlines. It's all about public perception.

Skooby
04-11-2016, 10:11 AM
The league doesn't care what really happened. They just care that a big name player got negative headlines. It's all about public perception.

I get it but who died or got hurt ?

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-11-2016, 10:43 AM
I get it but who died or got hurt ?

no one died, but IIRC somebody went to the hospital.

Goobylal
04-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Goodell had no grounds to suspend him after the DA didn't charge him and he appeared to be coming to the defense of a friend.

more cowbell
04-11-2016, 11:09 AM
When you have enough money, you can get out of just about anything...

OpIv37
04-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Goodell had no grounds to suspend him after the DA didn't charge him and he appeared to be coming to the defense of a friend.

Again, grounds don't matter. Perception does. Lots of players were suspended for things they were never charged for.

Victor7
04-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Good news. We dodged a bullet there.

Goobylal
04-11-2016, 11:59 AM
When you have enough money, you can get out of just about anything...

Even more so when you didn't do anything wrong.

Again, grounds don't matter. Perception does. Lots of players were suspended for things they were never charged for.

While perception matters, so do grounds. Goodell doesn't want another embarrassing over turn of his suspension. But what perception do you fancy this gives to people?

Good news. We dodged a bullet there.

Not really. He didn't do anything wrong.

OpIv37
04-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Even more so when you didn't do anything wrong.

While perception matters, so do grounds. Goodell doesn't want another embarrassing over turn of his suspension. But what perception do you fancy this gives to people?

Not really. He didn't do anything wrong.
Uh, did you see the initial headlines? They implied that Shady was fighting cops. It was typical media sensationalism and we now know that it's not an accurate description of what's out there. But not everyone cares about Shady or the Bills like we do. Not everyone kept up with the story. If Goodell doesn't do something, people will think a player fought a cop and he did nothing about it. And there is already a perception - fair or unfair- that the league doesn't punish players harshly enough for violence.

mightysimi
04-11-2016, 08:03 PM
So funny he gets nothing after seeing comments to cut him.

Goobylal
04-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Uh, did you see the initial headlines? They implied that Shady was fighting cops. It was typical media sensationalism and we now know that it's not an accurate description of what's out there. But not everyone cares about Shady or the Bills like we do. Not everyone kept up with the story. If Goodell doesn't do something, people will think a player fought a cop and he did nothing about it. And there is already a perception - fair or unfair- that the league doesn't punish players harshly enough for violence.

So he should be suspended in order to appease those who didn't keep up with the resolution of the case but were outraged by the initial bull**** headlines? LOL!

feldspar
04-12-2016, 10:52 AM
So he should be suspended in order to appease those who didn't keep up with the resolution of the case but were outraged by the initial bull**** headlines? LOL!

Yep, that's pretty much what he's saying.

Only difference is that it's not that he "should" be suspended, but that he "will" or old Opie expects it.

Opie is talking about politics.

OpIv37
04-12-2016, 10:53 AM

I never said he should be suspended. I said he will be suspended. What Goodell does and what should be done are not the same thing, as he's proven in the past.

Goobylal
04-12-2016, 10:56 AM
I never said he should be suspended. I said he will be suspended. What Goodell does and what should be done are not the same thing, as he's proven in the past.

How much money are you willing to bet on that one?

OpIv37
04-12-2016, 11:02 AM
How much money are you willing to bet on that one?

Zero. If we still had zonebucks I'd bet those but I'm not betting real money on an anonymous internet discussion.

Goobylal
04-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Zero. If we still had zonebucks I'd bet those but I'm not betting real money on an anonymous internet discussion.

Fine. But he won't be suspended.

feldspar
04-12-2016, 11:29 AM

I'd take some of that action on a real bet, though. I'd bet $300 that he won't be suspended. You are too cynical sometimes.

I think the players union would have something to say about this, even if Goodell wanted to pull some PR move. From some of the things I've read, multiple witnesses say that a "cop" put his hands around McCoy's friend's neck, and then body-slammed him to the ground. While the "cop" was on top of his friend, McCoy ran over to defend his friend, threw one punch that may or may not have landed, and then was immediately dragged out of the melee...and THAT was the extent of McCoy's involvement in the whole thing. That BS TMZ video kinda supports that theory as well, for what it's worth. There is no way for anyone to say that this theory isn't "more likely than not," or whatever. Just no way.

Defending somebody else from attack is perfectly legal, if not the right thing to do...especially defending a friend of yours. The fact that they were cops is a big reason why some people figure this to be a bigger deal, but "cops" should be held to a higher standard, no? Not that anyone KNEW they were cops. Somebody else besides McCoy likely beat the hell out of those fellas, who people will say initiated the whole thing. That's the story...

If Goodell wants to pursue this, the player's association just has too much ammunition.

Goobylal
04-12-2016, 12:14 PM
I'd take some of that action on a real bet, though. I'd bet $300 that he won't be suspended. You are too cynical sometimes.

I think the players union would have something to say about this, even if Goodell wanted to pull some PR move. From some of the things I've read, multiple witnesses say that a "cop" put his hands around McCoy's friend's neck, and then body-slammed him to the ground. While the "cop" was on top of his friend, McCoy ran over to defend his friend, threw one punch that may or may not have landed, and then was immediately dragged out of the melee...and THAT was the extent of McCoy's involvement in the whole thing. That BS TMZ video kinda supports that theory as well, for what it's worth. There is no way for anyone to say that this theory isn't "more likely than not," or whatever. Just no way.

Defending somebody else from attack is perfectly legal, if not the right thing to do...especially defending a friend of yours. The fact that they were cops is a big reason why some people figure this to be a bigger deal, but "cops" should be held to a higher standard, no? Not that anyone KNEW they were cops. Somebody else besides McCoy likely beat the hell out of those fellas, who people will say initiated the whole thing. That's the story...

If Goodell wants to pursue this, the player's association just has too much ammunition.

The bouncers knew they were cops, otherwise they never would have made it into the club with guns. The fact that they and Shady's friend, and not Shady, were thrown out tells me that they felt Shady did nothing wrong. And since they were working and not drinking, likely saw most of the action, and have no bias, their testimony is the most reliable. I think the DA got their stories but claimed that he didn't know who started it so he wouldn't have to press charges against the cops.

feldspar
04-12-2016, 12:27 PM
The bouncers knew they were cops, otherwise they never would have made it into the club with guns. The fact that they and Shady's friend, and not Shady, were thrown out tells me that they felt Shady did nothing wrong. And since they were working and not drinking, likely saw most of the action, and have no bias, their testimony is the most reliable. I think the DA got their stories but claimed that he didn't know who started it so he wouldn't have to press charges against the cops.

From what I understand, the "cops" weren't even supposed to be carrying guns like this, off-duty.

Getting into a fight with a guy that has a gun...jeez.

Goobylal
04-12-2016, 12:45 PM
From what I understand, the "cops" weren't even supposed to be carrying guns like this, off-duty.

Getting into a fight with a guy that has a gun...jeez.

No they shouldn't have been/be carrying guns into cluba. But since they got them in, it tells me the bouncers knew they were cops and didn't bother frisking them.

And Shady stopped participating near the end of the video when he realized he was being filmed AND that one of the cops had a gun. So unless you think something happened with him before the video starts...but even then, you'd be fantasizing in the absence of evidence/witness testimony.

Night Train
04-12-2016, 01:40 PM
What we think means nothing. Great if he's not suspended and we enter the opener with all our starters healthy (fingers crossed).

feldspar
04-12-2016, 03:19 PM
What we think means nothing).

Speak for yourself, homeboy.

What I think happens to mean a great deal to me.