• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

QB Trio: Bledsoe, Brown and Johnson

I hear a lot of comments on how Bills should cut Van Pelt because he makes too much and just go with Brown as 2nd QB. Personally I do not think Brown has shown much at all, certainly not to warrent #2 QB slot, but I want to hear other opinions.

IF the Bills did that, the only way *I* would feel comfortable is
    1. if Alex was made QB coach (Bills do not have one now) and
    2. Told if there is an injury to a QB after game 1 you will be brought back onto roster
    NOTE: CBA now allows veterans to be paid per game if signed after opener)

3. We will make roster space by end of year for him so he is available for post season if necessary.

Opinions?
  • TypicalBill
    • Sep 2002

IMO .. i wouldn't be comfortable with Brown and Johnson as backups... they lack experience and NFL playing time... dont get me wrong, maybe they have upside but id much rather have a veteran QB that has a lot of experience and who we'd be fine if he starts 2 or 3 games if, God forbid, Bledsoe goes down for some games (knocking fingers, ankles and elbows against my wood table)
    For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• NewYorkCity Backers

I'm more comfortable with AVP in the mix.

Comment

• TypicalBill
        • Sep 2002

besides, i think Van Pelt's contract is cap friendly isn't it??
        For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• NewYorkCity Backers

(knocking fingers, ankles and elbows against my wood table)

Very humorous TypicalBill.

Comment

• G. Host
            Banned
            • Jul 2002

That is why I included cavets

It means that would be able to practice with team as coach, on sideline reading defenses and giving advice but would not be available until next game if an injury occurred.

Alex isn't going to another team at this point in his career so I think the Bills would be safe making him a coach.

I am a 'Pill Pusher' and think Alex has a good job with what he has been given but Bills need a passer whose style mixes well with Drew's.

Comment

• Doc
              • Dec 2002

I haven't been impressed with Brown at all. I hope they can find someone better because he's NOT the QB of the future, IMHO.

Comment

• NewYorkCity Backers

My question would be why would AVP want to take a pay cut to become coach and reserve player?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Ya'll are in trouble once wys get's done making his sauce. He's gonna write a 10 page post about Travis Brown compared to the Pill.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Aero II
                    RWS Grounds Keeper. Why won't my grass grow?
                    • Jul 2002

Brown should get ALOT more time in the preseason to show what he can do before he is promoted. In today's NFL you need a real good backup QB and AVP has the experience of leading a team, much the same as Frank did. I think AVP is that calming presence on the sideline for Drew that Kelly had with Reich.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Oh yeah and how Drew sucks and should be the 4th qb on the team.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• G. Host
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NewYorkCity Backers
                        My question would be why would AVP want to take a pay cut to become coach and reserve player?
                        Because he would not have a lot of choices if Bills choose to go that route. At this point in his career he would not likely be picked up by another team IMO.

It would also give him legitimate coaching credentials if he wants to go into coaching which probably pays a lot more than anything else he would go into post football.

There was one QB who became a coach in this manner as part-time player and part-time coach but I can not remember who.

Comment

• G. Host
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          Ya'll are in trouble once wys get's done making his sauce. He's gonna write a 10 page post about Travis Brown compared to the Pill.
                          :madfire:
                          Whatever. This thread has nothing to do with Wys but you are attempting to drag him in and just asking for him to do so.
                          :horse:

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

I think we'll see AVP and Brown as backups this season, because of their experience, with Johnson on the practice squad. If Johnson shows something, next year may be different.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ryven
                              • Jan 2003

AVP is the better choice for a back up he may not be real mobile or have a great arm but he is accurate and he knows the game and when hes out on the field the players around him really respect and work him.

Comment

Working...
                              X