PDA

View Full Version : The First Annual John Butler Memorial All Small School Draft

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:03 PM
For Draftboy, the small school lover and Coastal, for help in his 5 card studs, but mostly, due to offseason boredom.

19: R1P19
QB PAXTON LYNCH
MEMPHIS

For Yardie and Mace.
We pass on too many QB prospects, under the never ending rebuilding of the defense and are in a good position this year to take a potential franchise guy.

If they think he’s got a decent shot, now is the time to take a QB. Needs can..and will be filled later in the draft.

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:04 PM
49: R2P18
DT JAVON HARGRAVE
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE

Yeah, I know, who’s he? And why are you taking this guy in the 2nd round in a draft deep in front 7 players?

Well.

No. 1, it’s a small school draft.
No. 2. the guy’s got potential, loads of it.

One of the quicker first steps you’ll ever see. Of the top DT’s only Nkemdiche had a faster 10 yard split.

2 time MEAC Defensive Player of the Year. Over the past 2 years, has 29.5 sacks and 46 tfls. The sack figure is incredible for a DT.

At 309 lbs., ran a sub 5 second 40 and a 4.83 at his pro day. 29 bench reps and a 34 ½” vertical jump.

Was considered the best player at this year’s Shrine Bowl and a very late addition to the Senior Bowl (put on the roster on Thurs. before the game).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UfZ0vORFeSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On some plays, he’s in the backfield before the OG is out of his stance.
Eventual successor to Kyle Williams, who can do some damage on the inside in the meantime.

Rex, you’re getting a talented guy…use him.

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:06 PM
80: R3P17
OT WILLIE BEAVERS
WESTERN MICHIGAN

A tough position for small schools this year and you know how the position is near and dear to my heart. Joe Haeg was talked about but apparently didn’t impress at the Senior Bowl. Ditto for Cole Toner of Harvard. I was really hoping for a stud in the 2nd. There doesn’t appear to be an Ali Marpet. This was the toughest pick of the draft.

So I defer to the wisdom of Gil Brandt, who had Willie Beavers listed at the top of his list of underrated offensive players in the draft.

“Beavers (6-foot-4 5/8, 321 pounds, 5.26 40-yard dash) always seemed to elevate his game against better opponents in college, which bodes well for his move to the NFL. He's coming off a strong pro-day performance. He does need to get stronger, but some team will take him in the second round and get a very good player with a ton of upside.”

~Gil Brandt

Don’t let me down Gil.

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:08 PM
117: R4P19
TE TYLER HIGBEE
WESTERN KENTUCKY

Former WR who looks skinny at 250. Had 500 yards receiving last year, which doesn’t sound overly impressive, until you realize he was injured for half the season. Some think he's the most athletic TE in the draft. Maybe, maybe not, but he's not a plodder, knows how to use his body and can get up the field quickly.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UeEwjgwkbs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not healed from his knee injury, so didn’t run at the Combine. But watch the tape, the athleticism sticks out. Can catch in traffic, makes dbs miss more than a 250 lb. player should. Another inside target for TT who will complement Clay on 2 TE sets.

DraftBoy
04-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Love it!

Though Higbee just got arrested for assault.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2016/4/10/11402504/tyler-higbee-western-kentucky-nfl-draft-2016-tight-end

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:12 PM
139: R4P41
DE MATT JUDON
GRAND VALLEY STATE

Stud, stud and stud. The best DII defensive player last year.

20 sacks and 23.5 tfl last year

A 4.7 40 on a 275 lb frame and a 35 inch vertical. He's not a blown up, all upper body 275 lb DE either. Look at the lower body, he's got Earl Campbell thighs. He won't get pushed around too much.

Once he gets past an OT, his closing speed on a QB is impressive, he doesn’t mess around. Already has the shoulder dip thing down, and more moves than you’d expect from a small college player who can rely only on his athleticism.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ode88l04180" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A perfect pairing for Jerry Hughes. There’s the outside rusher/edge setter you’ve wanted, and you got him at the bottom of the 4th.

Between Rudon and Hargrave, they had 33.5 sacks and more than 45 tfls last year.

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:14 PM
156: R5P17
ILB NICK VIGIL
UTAH STATE

140 tackles last year and 267 over the past 2. His 40 time or vertical isn’t much, but he does a 4.0 short shuttle and a sub 7 3 cone, displaying fantastic COD skills.

2 time all Mountain West player on one of the better D’s in the country. Like Miles Jack, fills in at Rb when the need arises.

A tough call..but its the 5th round...and the phrase "Tackling Machine" stands out. His coach says he eats, breathes and lives football...he kind of looks the type.

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:15 PM
192: R6P17
ILB LUKE RHODES
WILLIAM & MARY
6’2’ 240, runs between a 4.6 and a 4.7 in the 40, 29 bench reps, built like an Adonis. The rest of his combine measurables are good for the position.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CeOGDoPf2go" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nearly 350 tackles in 3 years, was on the preseason Butkus watch list. NFL.com says his LB instincts are weak, but another site, quoting an unnamed NFC East scout, says his instincts are comparable to Luke Kueckly’s.

Go figure. Definitely a good enough athlete with enough production to be taken in the 6th round.

He's a hitter, plays with abandon, not afraid to slam into an OL to plug a gap.

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:17 PM
218: R6P43
WR PAUL MCROBERTS
SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE
29 career TDs, with 9 each of the past 3 years. 76 receptions last year from a bad qb. Like Hargrave, was a late addition to the Senior Bowl.

Look to him as a redzone target.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0z89P42Fmqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hands and more hands

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Love it!

Though Higbee just got arrested for assault.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2016/4/10/11402504/tyler-higbee-western-kentucky-nfl-draft-2016-tight-end

Wow..just wow, if half of that is true.

Damn..the stupidity befuddles me.

18 days before his childhood dream comes true, and he throws it all away, just to be an ass one night.

Mace
04-11-2016, 04:23 PM
I like a lot of these guys. I might not always agree with you Cookie, but a lot of the time I do, and when I don't, I still always look forward to your posts and viewpoints. Honestly.

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:29 PM
I like a lot of these guys. I might not always agree with you Cookie, but a lot of the time I do, and when I don't, I still always look forward to your posts and viewpoints. Honestly.

Like I said..this is my most apathetic offseason that I can remember. I really hate watching the promise of last offseason deflate into a rebuilding process.

BTW, we might be in Buffalo in June..(not sure yet)..

Go have a beer some night?Its almost all family stuff, but I usually am allowed to slip out with Lecter for wings for a few hours.

cookie G
04-11-2016, 04:47 PM
And..oops..I'm sorry..

I meant this to go in the Scouting Zone forum, if someone wants to move it.

YardRat
04-11-2016, 07:35 PM
I like Hargrave and Higbee regardless of small school.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Ok, now lets get a Buddy Nix All-ACC/SEC draft

jimmifli
04-11-2016, 08:25 PM
49: R2P18
DT JAVON HARGRAVE
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE

Yeah, I know, who’s he? And why are you taking this guy in the 2nd round in a draft deep in front 7 players?

Well.

No. 1, it’s a small school draft.
No. 2. the guy’s got potential, loads of it.

One of the quicker first steps you’ll ever see. Of the top DT’s only Nkemdiche had a faster 10 yard split.

2 time MEAC Defensive Player of the Year. Over the past 2 years, has 29.5 sacks and 46 tfls. The sack figure is incredible for a DT.

At 309 lbs., ran a sub 5 second 40 and a 4.83 at his pro day. 29 bench reps and a 34 ½” vertical jump.

Was considered the best player at this year’s Shrine Bowl and a very late addition to the Senior Bowl (put on the roster on Thurs. before the game).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UfZ0vORFeSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

On some plays, he’s in the backfield before the OG is out of his stance.
Eventual successor to Kyle Williams, who can do some damage on the inside in the meantime.

Rex, you’re getting a talented guy…use him.

How's his coverage skills?

jimmifli
04-11-2016, 08:29 PM
23.5 tfl last year

Women can't resist men who had 23.5 tackles for losses in 1995. sup.

k-oneputt
04-12-2016, 06:19 AM
Now lets list the "small school" players the Bills did actually draft, then make a second list of those who were any good from that group.
Hint: second list won't take long.

DraftBoy
04-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Ok, now lets get a Buddy Nix All-ACC/SEC draft

I did one for you using the Fanspeak simulator;

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/232245-2016-Draft-simulator-time?p=4197558&viewfull=1#post4197558

Night Train
04-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Cool idea and I like the picks outside of the 1st round selection. Lynch played terrible vs. quality teams.

Mr. Pink
04-13-2016, 12:47 PM
McRoberts is a guy who I think, if drafted by the right team where he has a chance to make the squad, has the talent and ability to actually make real positive contributions in 2016.

Honestly, of all your picks on this list I like him the most, impact wise, as I think Buffalo would be a situation where he would actually get playing time.

The only pick I wouldn't be a fan of is Vigil. He's small, slow and not very powerful. He's gonna be a guy who's gonna need the DLine in front of him to eat space and blockers and stay back to make his tackles. If an Olineman gets hands on him, he'll be simply erased on the play. Honestly, I don't think he's likely to even make an NFL squad unless he bulks up a little and adds some strength.