• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

If not Tyrod, then who?

Let me preface this by saying I'm NOT advocating for getting rid of Tyrod. I'm not completely sold on him but I do believe he is our best option for 2016.

That being said, his agent and the team aren't agreeing, so the possibility of a holdout or a trade exists.

If that does happen, who plays QB? I don't think anyone would be happy with EJ starting, but we have limited cap space and there are limited options available. I assume we'd draft a QB in that scenario (we may do that even with Tyrod), but we would need a vet presence better than EJ to mentor the kid and start until he's ready.

Thoughts?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: If not Tyrod, then who?

The franchise - throughout its' 56-year history - has only had 3 QBs worth note...Kemp, Ferguson, and Kelly. They might have had something with Lamonica and Harris.

There it is. There's something about them that can't evaluate QBs. My guess is that since they always sell out, the egos that run the biz and hire like minds and toadies decade after decade don't give a crap as long as accounts receivables shine.

The organization is never going to change unless it feels that the bottom line is not what they expect to reap.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Scumbag College
      • Oct 2002

I think that given the Bills' cap status and draft position, that anyone besides Tyrod starting in 2016 would be an unmitigated disaster. Whomever is left at QB in free agency besides Fitz is a career backup/third stringer and shouldn't be considered to be brought in for anything other than competing for a backup or roster spot, not a shot at being the starter.

As far as Tyrod and his agent I think that this is pure posturing on their part and they know that if Tyrod puts together another season in 2016 like he had in 2015, that they are going to be in for a payday at the end of the season. The contract that he signed to come to the Bills was very calculated on their part. He was a guy that barely took a meaningful snap in his four seasons in the NFL, and came to a team with about as open of a QB position as there is in the league. The move to come to Buffalo was to hopefully have Tyrod win the starting QB spot and then work towards a big contract either here or elsewhere after the 2016 season.

I guess the Bills have $50 million in cap room by all estimates at the end of 2016, so there will be money to keep Tyrod here and get him paid. It would be very hard for the Bills to trade Tyrod now, since there might be three QB's drafted ahead of us in the draft. He, his agent, and Whaley see this. The only reason his agent is making waves is to hopefully get Tyrod traded and sign a new, huge contract this year instead of waiting until next year and risking a drop in performance or catastrophic injury before the big payday. I think that the Bills hold most of the cards here and if for some reason Tyrod holds out, the Bills won't have the money to sign him to a big contract this year and it will only hurt his performance with missing any part of training camp or the regular season, thus ultimately hurting his chances for that big payday at the end of this upcoming season.
      Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Dr. Who
        • Jul 2002

Tyrod is the qb for 2016. He's not being traded. I'd be tempted to take Lynch if he is there at #19, though.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

I feel the same as you OP. Not a fan, but gotta let him play 2016 and see. I think the Bills will be more in search of a better #2 option this year, while holding on until Manuel one more season due to contract.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

I heard Losman is grooming cats at a Petsmart in Bakersfield. Still only 35..

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• gebobs
              One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
              The franchise - throughout its' 56-year history - has only had 3 QBs worth note...Kemp, Ferguson, and Kelly.
              So basically Kelly and then everyone in second place.
              Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

That being said, his agent and the team aren't agreeing, so the possibility of a holdout or a trade exists.
                I think the chances of either a trade or a holdout are really low. Even if we drafted a Lynch it would not be to start right away. TT is under contract and he is going to be here this year. After that? He's probably gone either because we let or go or he walks away. If he really steps up we could franchise him but I'm dubious that will happen.

Comment

• dog14787
                  • Oct 2010

E J Manuel needs experience and getting a good or bad thorough evaluation by playing Manuel is what you normally do with 1st round signal callers in this day and age in my humble opinion.

Drafting a project when Buffalo hasn't finished the last one doesn't make much sense to me...

Comment

• k-oneputt
                    • Jun 2009

Tyrod isn't holding out. Makes no sense for him. He is the man for 2016 and needs to play well to get paid whether it is Buffalo or someone else.

Draft Cook or Hackenberg in the top 3 rds and start grooming him for 2017.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      If that does happen, who plays QB?
                      Tuel time!!!!
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

if TT holds out, its a calculated gamble that the bills won't waste a season. but the bills wouldn't be cheap. they don't have the money for it. unless TT wants to tell players specifically that they are getting cut, it's not a field general move to hold out in a season you need to do well.

the bills can easily call his bluff. the bills can say, "we can live with a 2-14 season. we have a HC who isn't getting it done and a GM who didn't build a team for the playoffs. we start over, we start fresh, and we get a franchise qb without giving up anything but one season vs a ton of picks."

To me, EJ starting wouldn't be the worst. it would result in rex leaving. it would result in whaley probably leaving, and it would result in a "no stones left unturned" search that actually will yield something meaningful, given pegula's history of wanting to win. I'm all in to lose this season and just draft the BPA now.

Comment

• mead107
                          • Nov 2005

I think TT will do very well this year

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Based on the premise that Taylor holds out, draft a QB and plunk him under center right from the get-go with EJ backing him up and bring in a second youngster as an UDFA to fill a spot on the practice squad. I don't care where the kid is drafted, it's not like the Bills offense is that complicated to begin with, there's no money for even a below average free agent, and it's not like Tyrod played SO well last season that not having him would be a complete disaster.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by dog14787 View Post
                              E J Manuel needs experience and getting a good or bad thorough evaluation by playing Manuel is what you normally do with 1st round signal callers in this day and age in my humble opinion.

Drafting a project when Buffalo hasn't finished the last one doesn't make much sense to me...
                              Crawl back under your rock troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X