PDA

View Full Version : HOU axes Hoyer...Get'er done, Dougie!

stuckincincy
04-18-2016, 09:15 AM
May as well toss another name into the hat... :dance2:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653650/article/houston-texans-release-veteran-qb-brian-hoyer

trapezeus
04-18-2016, 09:19 AM
with no back up, this makes sense. and ultimately, like last year, when TT doesn't play, you can mark it as a loss on the calendar. I just don't think the fanbase can handle ej steering the sure loss. give us a little hope with hoyer.

Pinkerton Security
04-18-2016, 10:03 AM
As long as its clear he's our backup, I'm cool with this. Def good depth

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 10:04 AM
How? We have no cap space. Presumably, if we signed him we would cut EJ but EJ's salary alone won't cover Hoyer.

Dr. Lecter
04-18-2016, 10:19 AM
And EJ's salary doesn't go away regardless

Yasgur's Farm
04-18-2016, 10:22 AM
And EJ's salary doesn't go away regardlessYup... Guaran-f'n-teed.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 10:25 AM
Ok, so then who would get the axe to make the cap space for Hoyer?

The FO's cap management has made it all but impossible to improve the back up spot.

Joe Fo Sho
04-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Hoyer's playoff game against the Chiefs last year was worse than EJ's game against the Jags. If he had that sort of game in a Bills uniform you guys would want him cut before the game was over like DeAndre Hopkins did. That and EJ's guaranteed contract make this an easy 'no thanks' from me.

Besides, if our backup QB is going to see any sort of significant playing time, I think it would be safe to assume our season is shot anyways.

Victor7
04-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Pass

He's not better than TMobile if you are thinking starter. If you are thinking backup for sure he's better than EJ (who isn't?). But I'm not sure we can afford him.

Lets draft someone early and roll the dice with that guy as our 2.

WagonCircler
04-18-2016, 11:35 AM
The FO's cap management has made it all but impossible to improve the back up spot.

GM malpractice.

Putting yourself in cap jail to make the playoffs would be one thing. Putting yourself there when your record sucks balls should get you fired.

Ginger Vitis
04-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Ok, so then who would get the axe to make the cap space for Hoyer?

If they would give Glenn a longterm deal that would free up close to $ 7 million for this year...The sheer panic you exhibit over this so called no cap space isn't justified..

YardRat
04-18-2016, 12:12 PM
After reading for years about what a tragedy it was to never spend right to the cap nobody has a right to ***** when they do.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-18-2016, 12:35 PM
May as well toss another name into the hat... :dance2:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653650/article/houston-texans-release-veteran-qb-brian-hoyer

Just don't ask Hoyer to throw it into the hat, he's liable to sail it wide.

feldspar
04-18-2016, 12:40 PM
After reading for years about what a tragedy it was to never spend right to the cap nobody has a right to ***** when they do.

What do you expect from a *****? *****ing, I says. Damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. Clearly, people have a right to be as big of a ***** as they want. There's always another ***** to listen...let's just cry into one another's sleeve.

But it's not even like the Bills have put themselves in a spot long-term. They'll have something like $50 million in cap space next year.

We're worried about not being able to pickup the legendary Brian-frickin'-Hoyer now? The guy will probably search out a team who is so desperate that he has a shot to start there this year...there are those teams still.

YardRat
04-18-2016, 12:41 PM
EJ has a better hard count. No contest.

Ginger Vitis
04-18-2016, 01:24 PM
OPIV use to always say " Ralph is going to take that $20 Million that they are under the cap and stick it in his mattress!!!!"

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 01:30 PM
If they would give Glenn a longterm deal that would free up close to $ 7 million for this year...The sheer panic you exhibit over this so called no cap space isn't justified..

Yeah it is. If they could have given Glenn a deal it would be done already.

We were barely able to keep an 8-8 team together. The D lost Mario, Bradham and McFumbles, and while I understand why all of them had to go, we haven't replaced them with anyone equal or better so it's a net talent loss.

If we are going to make the playoffs, we have to improve off last year's 8-8 record. Our D already took a step backward last year and now they lost talent. But we have zero cap space to make any improvements. Literally, our only chance to improve is the draft, and it's far too much to expect rookies to add enough talent to compensate for the losses and improve the team enough to make the playoffs.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 02:54 PM
What do you expect from a *****? *****ing, I says. Damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. Clearly, people have a right to be as big of a ***** as they want. There's always another ***** to listen...let's just cry into one another's sleeve.

But it's not even like the Bills have put themselves in a spot long-term. They'll have something like $50 million in cap space next year.

We're worried about not being able to pickup the legendary Brian-frickin'-Hoyer now? The guy will probably search out a team who is so desperate that he has a shot to start there this year...there are those teams still.

If you're referring to me, I've never said we should spend right up to the cap. I've always said teams need to spend money wisely. Letting good players walk and/or being spectators in FA then going into the season $15-20 million under the cap isn't wise. Spending right up to the cap and providing no ability to make moves isn't wise either. There's a lot of room between 0 and $15-20 million.

And it's not about Hoyer. It's about improving the team: getting someone better than EJ so a Tyrod injury isn't a guaranteed L, beefing up the OL, fixing the D that took a step backward last year and lost talent in the off- season, doing something to add talent to an 8-8 team. Having $50 million next year doesn't do **** for us now.

****ing A. Bills fans are saying "there's always next year" before the season even starts now.

- - - Updated - - -

OPIV use to always say " Ralph is going to take that $20 Million that they are under the cap and stick it in his mattress!!!!"

Once again, there is a lot of room between 0 and $20 million.

Dr. Lecter
04-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Yeah it is. If they could have given Glenn a deal it would be done already.

That's not true.

Are you saying that there can't still be an extension ?

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 03:24 PM
That's not true.

Are you saying that there can't still be an extension ?

I'm not saying it's technically impossible. I'm saying the Bills are either unwilling to give Glenn what he wants, or unable to because of the cap situation. Otherwise, something would be done already.

Also, has there ever been a player signed to a franchise tag who extended before the season started rather than playing for the franchise tender? If there is, I'm not aware of it. It's certainly the exception to the rule.

Dr. Lecter
04-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Or they are doing this thing called negotiating.

swiper
04-18-2016, 03:33 PM
I used to be more on the Hoyer train, but no more. He looked terrible in Houston.

Face it. The Bills have to ride out this year as TT, EJ, rookie.

Hope Taylor stays healthy and plays well.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Or they are doing this thing called negotiating.

Usually the franchise tag happens when a team and a player tried to negotiate and couldn't agree. And if they are negotiating, what's taking so long? And who did we miss out on with cap money tied up in the franchise tender?

If we were $20 million under the cap, using the franchise tender to extend negotiation time may make sense. But not when it ties up all the available cap.

And once again, show me players that signed after being franchised without playing a year under the franchise tender.

ParanoidAndroid
04-18-2016, 03:41 PM
I would argue that we, in fact, did replace Bradham with Brown and we didn't necessarily have to equally replace McKelvin since we got an upgrade at #2 corner in last year's draft. Instead, got a solid depth CB in Moore. Our only major loss is Mario... tough to replace, even with the season he had last year.

Mace
04-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Gailey loves his limited vets, wouldn't surprise me if Hoyer ends up teaching Fitz a lesson in common sense by joining the Jets.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 03:52 PM
I would argue that we, in fact, did replace Bradham with Brown and we didn't necessarily have to equally replace McKelvin since we got an upgrade at #2 corner in last year's draft. Instead, got a solid depth CB in Moore. Our only major loss is Mario... tough to replace, even with the season he had last year.
We had Brown last year so that's a strange argument.

And yes you can argue that we upgraded #2 corner but we downgraded #3 corner. That's not good considering how much nickel and dime we have to play against teams like the Patriots.

Anyway, it's splitting hairs, but the reality is that the D struggled last year and hasn't added any talent to improve. The O didn't add much either, and while the O was decent, they weren't good enough to overcome the weakness on D.

I don't see how this year plays out any differently with no talent influx.

mightysimi
04-18-2016, 04:00 PM
I think the hold up on the contract is the draft. The franchise tender buys you a few months so why go crazy getting that deal done when there is the draft to prepare for?

mightysimi
04-18-2016, 04:02 PM
We had Brown last year so that's a strange argument.

Zach Brown not Preston.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 04:08 PM
Zach Brown not Preston.

Oops.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 04:09 PM
I think the hold up on the contract is the draft. The franchise tender buys you a few months so why go crazy getting that deal done when there is the draft to prepare for?

Because a) it's rare to come to a deal with after he's been tendered ad b) it's keeping us from making any roster moves because we have zero cap room.

Ginger Vitis
04-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Also, has there ever been a player signed to a franchise tag who extended before the season started rather than playing for the franchise tender? If there is, I'm not aware of it. It's certainly the exception to the rule.

In the offseason of 2012 their were 6 players who were franchised tagged and signed the tag and then got extensions before the July 15th deadline.. Last year Justin Houston signed his tag and then signed a long term extension before training camp... it happens way more than you think it does

IlluminatusUIUC
04-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas both did it last year, and Graham did it the year before that even though his negotiations were so contentious that he was disputing the level of the tag tender.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Fair enough, but it's still tying up all of our cap space.

YardRat
04-18-2016, 05:52 PM
It was either tag him or let him go, and if they let him go there isn't anybody around to ***** at about being cheap anymore.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 06:08 PM
It was either tag him or let him go, and if they let him go there isn't anybody around to ***** at about being cheap anymore.

Or maybe look at who has expiring contracts after the upcoming season and not put yourself in a situation where the only way to keep a guy is to use a tag that puts us right up against the cap. But hey, the FO knows what they're doing right? That's why we win so many games and have so little coaching turnover....

Mace
04-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Or maybe look at who has expiring contracts after the upcoming season and not put yourself in a situation where the only way to keep a guy is to use a tag that puts us right up against the cap. But hey, the FO knows what they're doing right? That's why we win so many games and have so little coaching turnover....

They have plenty of cap space next year though. I think they did what they had to this year.

Granted, it's ridiculous to be so tight against the cap at 8-8, and there is a lot I wouldn't have done, but all things considered they did about as well as they could as of now. I don't see any fa's worth a bundle that could have helped any. They should have done something about Glenn earlier, probably Gilmore, but didn't, I wouldn't have spent that much on McCoy, Harvin or Clay but they did.

Glenn and Gilmore might still sign, next year the grass is greener. We need a lot and this draft is deep with cheaper rookie talent.

All things considered, I think they're about as good as they can be in the moment.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 06:33 PM
They have plenty of cap space next year though. I think they did what they had to this year.

Granted, it's ridiculous to be so tight against the cap at 8-8, and there is a lot I wouldn't have done, but all things considered they did about as well as they could as of now. I don't see any fa's worth a bundle that could have helped any. They should have done something about Glenn earlier, probably Gilmore, but didn't, I wouldn't have spent that much on McCoy, Harvin or Clay but they did.

Glenn and Gilmore might still sign, next year the grass is greener. We need a lot and this draft is deep with cheaper rookie talent.

All things considered, I think they're about as good as they can be in the moment.

So, basically, when they made all those moves last off-season, they doomed 2016 into being a repeat of 2015 because they didn't give themselves any capacity to make additional moves. I don't disagree with you on this off-season. They did as much as possible with a bad cap situation. But two things: they are the ones who put themselves in the bad situation to begin with. And more importantly, this team showed last year that it needs talent and they weren't able to add any (and arguably lost some).

Mace
04-18-2016, 06:54 PM
So, basically, when they made all those moves last off-season, they doomed 2016 into being a repeat of 2015 because they didn't give themselves any capacity to make additional moves.

Well, hm, yes, there's that part.

Get off me, man. I was trying to be optimistic, you're on me like a cheap suit in the rain, riding me like a birthday pony. Uncle, UNCLE.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 07:06 PM
Well, hm, yes, there's that part.

Get off me, man. I was trying to be optimistic, you're on me like a cheap suit in the rain, riding me like a birthday pony. Uncle, UNCLE.

Nothing personal man. Just trying to make my point.

I'm not positive or negative- just trying to be objective. When the games are on, I'm all "rah rah go team!" like anyone else but during the off season and between games, I find it more fun and challenging to be objective and make reasonable predictions. And unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding an objective reason to be positive about this team.

Mace
04-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Nothing personal man. Just trying to make my point.

I'm not positive or negative- just trying to be objective. When the games are on, I'm all "rah rah go team!" like anyone else but during the off season and between games, I find it more fun and challenging to be objective and make reasonable predictions. And unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding an objective reason to be positive about this team.

Well me too. Honestly I'm not feeling any objective reasons to be positive about this team besides the possibilities of this draft. I'm not feeling too positive they'll even take advantage of it.

BertSquirtgum
04-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Pass

He's not better than TMobile if you are thinking starter. If you are thinking backup for sure he's better than EJ (who isn't?). But I'm not sure we can afford him.

Lets draft someone early and roll the dice with that guy as our 2.

No, he isn't.

YardRat
04-19-2016, 03:45 AM
Is it just me, because I knew the Bills weren't even going to be a bit player this off-season and haven't really been paying close attention to the player movement around the league, or was this a pretty weak free agent pool anyway?